2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

7 Iron Distance

1913Open

[quote name='FLAis4golferz' timestamp='1285901792' post='2722603']
[quote name='tbonetw' timestamp='1285801004' post='2720549']
Stock 7 160

I hit a Burner 2.0 w/KB Tour shafts the other day though and was hitting a smooth one over 170 and stepped on one and hit it just over 180. Talk about juiced. Wow! Made me think, but I really like my TPs.
[/quote]
I don't want to be the guy to burst your bubble but the reason you hit the burner so far is that its closer to the loft on your 6 iron. Standard 7 iron loft on those i think is 32 degrees (which is the loft on my 6 iron... lol) so thats the reason you're hitting it further. OEM's are making clubs "hotter" by making the lofts stronger and putting lower kick lightweight shafts for more speed and more height.
[/quote]

You're not bursting my bubble. I wasn't bragging about me. I was just a little amazed at the substantial difference in distance when I know exactly how far I can hit a "normal" 7 iron. I know they have stronger lofts, but clearly the face is juiced on them as the 7 iron I hit was 37" which is standard length with the KB Tour shaft. I would struggle to hit my 6 iron more than 180. Either way, I'd personally never buy them, but if I were distance challenged I'd have to consider it. I'll keep hitting my Tour Preferreds. Better control and better feel.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a driver swing (vector monitor) of between 105-110mph. I had my 6i measured last January at 92mph average over 12 swings on a trackman (indoors). The trackman had me averaging over 185yds carry with the 6i. With all of that said I HAVE NEVER HIT A 6i 185yds that I can think of. If I have 165-170yds I pull out a 6i (assuming no wind, and its a true 165/170yds). I pull a 7i out on a calm day with 155yds/160yds left. Maybe its the wind, maybe its the hilly courses I play, maybe I just hit the ball too high, or maybe the trackman was just full of crap that day, but I do not hit the ball nearly as long as most of these distances. When you say you hit your 7i 175-180yds are you getting 30ft of release once it lands? When I hit one I get maybe 5-10ft of release if that.

I would love to play with someone who is hitting their 7i 185yds and to see it, he would truly be a beast. I am amazed at some distances and club selection on the women's tour when I see them pulling two clubs less than me and I always think that it has to be into the wind or something like that because I know as a 185lb in shape 28yr old with a pretty good swing I cannot be 2 clubs shorter than Ay Miazato.....

In search of solid contact...

Also one thing I noticed with a few playing partners is they may have the misconception that if the flag is 170yds out and they use a 7i and hit the green that they hit their distance. Now they hit the green remember, but its a back flag and they are putting from 50ft out.

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1320779462' post='3775693']
I have a driver swing (vector monitor) of between 105-110mph. I had my 6i measured last January at 92mph average over 12 swings on a trackman (indoors). The trackman had me averaging over 185yds carry with the 6i. With all of that said I HAVE NEVER HIT A 6i 185yds that I can think of. If I have 165-170yds I pull out a 6i (assuming no wind, and its a true 165/170yds). I pull a 7i out on a calm day with 155yds/160yds left. Maybe its the wind, maybe its the hilly courses I play, maybe I just hit the ball too high, or maybe the trackman was just full of crap that day, but I do not hit the ball nearly as long as most of these distances. When you say you hit your 7i 175-180yds are you getting 30ft of release once it lands? When I hit one I get maybe 5-10ft of release if that.

I would love to play with someone who is hitting their 7i 185yds and to see it, he would truly be a beast. I am amazed at some distances and club selection on the women's tour when I see them pulling two clubs less than me and I always think that it has to be into the wind or something like that because I know as a 185lb in shape 28yr old with a pretty good swing I cannot be 2 clubs shorter than Ay Miazato.....
[/quote]

Huh? Two clubs more you mean? At least?

No I mean two clubs less. Just the other day on Big Break I had to rewind it when that Nina chick (who really is a bit ch) said, "ok 180yds, perfect for my 6i." I had to rewind to see if I could see wind blowing like crazy towards the target because it was probably in the 50's and wet and this chick thinks she is going to hit a 180yd 6iron??????

Again, maybe it is the humidity here (St. Louis) or the wind or the course elevations, but I hit 155-160yd 7i's all day and I send it past most I play with off the tee. My screen name is kind of a joke in that I always hear of these mind boggling iron distances so I thought, "hey I must be a real short hitter in the big scheme of things since there are guys out there who hit 140yd gap wedges!"

I can hit 140 yard Sand Wedges all day at the range, what does that mean on the course? Not a lot except for when I actually am 140 yards away I can pull out the mighty SW and my friend can pull out his 8 iron and I get to look tough for one hole. We he ends up whipping me by 12 strokes all I got is, yeah but remember that sand wedge! The more and more I play distances with certain clubs mean less and less.

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1320790420' post='3776371']
No I mean two clubs less. Just the other day on Big Break I had to rewind it when that Nina chick (who really is a bit ch) said, "ok 180yds, perfect for my 6i." I had to rewind to see if I could see wind blowing like crazy towards the target because it was probably in the 50's and wet and this chick thinks she is going to hit a 180yd 6iron??????

Again, maybe it is the humidity here (St. Louis) or the wind or the course elevations, but I hit 155-160yd 7i's all day and I send it past most I play with off the tee. My screen name is kind of a joke in that I always hear of these mind boggling iron distances so I thought, "hey I must be a real short hitter in the big scheme of things since there are guys out there who hit 140yd gap wedges!"
[/quote]

Just for show.

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1320790420' post='3776371']
No I mean two clubs less. Just the other day on Big Break I had to rewind it when that Nina chick (who really is a bit ch) said, "ok 180yds, perfect for my 6i." I had to rewind to see if I could see wind blowing like crazy towards the target because it was probably in the 50's and wet and this chick thinks she is going to hit a 180yd 6iron??????[/quote]
i think she lined up and duffed that 6 iron (like she did every other shot on the show) and it went 100 yards into the water. gotta factor that in when you hear someone claim an iron distance.

[quote name='ricknoberts' timestamp='1184550115' post='638221']
The average golfer hits his driver about 198 and thinks he hits it 227, so you can draw your own conclusions as to many of these claims.
[/quote]

i say im pretty below average and i can hit my 3 wood further than 220 lol..... unless the course is marked incorrectly i can say i can hit my driver 278 which is the exact measurement we took from the tee box.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1184551651' post='638265']
Loaded question.... :)

For me..140 yards. If I get a little buttock into it, 150, but I have no idea where it's going!
[/quote]

Your distance is about the same with mine.
What's your average drive? Mines about 230 yds.
What flex shafts do you use?

(sorry to OP for little bit off the topic)

[quote name='Young04' timestamp='1184604261' post='638877']
my standard 36 degree 7 iron (my irons were bent one deg. weak) carries 160-165. i can get one to go 175, but i'm out of my comfort zone there.

i'm surprised no one has brought up the issue of loft. my 7 iron may be someone else's 6 or their 8.

average also depends on the age group, methinks. most guys in their 20's can hit their 7 iron 160+, even if their handicap is more than their age. but i would think that the average recreational 20 handi golfer in their 40s is closer to 140-145 with their 7 iron.

generally, the lower the handicap, the longer the player, but i think you get a lot of overlap at with mid handicappers. an 18 handicap can hit their 7 iron with some consistency, but i've seen too many of them overswing (esp. the young guys), whereas you're less likely to see that from an 8 or a 10. i know this one guy who hits his standard 7 iron 175, but he can't hit it any harder than that if he wanted to.

i'm also intrigued by those random playing partners that ask me what club i hit, when they have no idea how far my 8 iron or whatever goes (of course that's different from your regular playing buddies).
[/quote]

Great post! Also, where you Play ( weather, elevation) probably plays a significant role. But seeing pros on tv hit it 190 is absurd.

well back to the question at a par 3 hole at a local course which is 210 yards to the pin i guess. i used a 7 iron and almost hit the green with it... the pin was at the front of the green... it did seem the green was about 20 yards down from where we were so instead of using my 5 or 6 iron i used that... the pin was about 10-15 yards from the edge of the green. Usually i can hit my 7 iron around 160-170 depending on how well i hit it.

i just moved from the great plains summer/early autumn (hot, dry, extremely firm green, huge amounts of wind) to the pacific northwest autumn-winter (cold, very wet, soggy greens, little wind and shielded from wind, uneven lies) and my 165 with 7 iron has turned into 140-145 yards. surprised how large the different is (and 165 was not wind-aided. then it could get up to 200 or so. sometimes i played in 35 mph winds of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the swing I put on it.
Years ago I was watching a pro doing a demo on the range, he explained he could hit any club any distance, and then did it.
I have a similar game.

If I pull it and release just right I can get 185 out of it.
If I block it, I can hit it 150.
If I pure it, which is the goal, it goes about 165.

If it is a par 3 late in the round (like the 165 yd par 3 on my local course), and I am under par, I like the hoselrocket and that one goes maybe 30 yds. I have yet to see it roll out so I can't be more specific, it generally sinks in the pond before I get a good read on it. The pro never showed us that shot, so I guess I could consider I have more shots than most pros. lol

My stock 7 is 170-175. Varying trajectory or shot shape will affect the distance and for me its kinda just feel at that point to know how much.

I have hit 7 iron on a strong downwind par 3 playing 200 yards figuring that would be about right. Instead I airmail the green by a good 10 yards. My buddy that hits about the same distances I do then hits PW pin high. That was a rare occation though. With no wind I hit a 5 or 6 on the same hole.

Taylormade M2 9.5 - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Taylormade M1 15 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade M1 19 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade P790 UDI 2i - PX 6.5
Taylormade P750 3-PW - DG X100
Titleist SM6 54.10S, 60.08M - DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89

The Grint Username: kreddell

For me, at 3200ft above sea level, the stock 7 iron is 160. Now it can actually be 132 downhill into the wind that comes over the mountains just west of our course or as long as 170 with that same wind on the very next hole.

I have a buddy that DOES carry his 8 iron to 180 with a good swing. I've seen this guy hit an 8 iron that friggin' goes sky high and so long that it never seems to start down....I've seen him fly a green at 175 yards by 30 yards with his 8 iron. Most awesome triple bogey I've ever seen!!! All his other clubs suck....and he's a solid 15 handicap. It's really the only club he can hit....well maybe his PW which he uses from 150. So distance does not matter at all unless you play courses over 6800 yards. BTW- his clubs are TM with the jacked lofts. But.....I hit his 8 iron the same distance as my Ping i15 8 iron (150 yards) , so who knows.

• 1 month later...

my 7irons at 35 degrees. i hit all my irons with about a 85-90% swing, otherwise i tend to get myself into trouble. if i need more distance, i use club not power. at least until i improve my swing more. anyway, 7 iron carries about 140 with a smooth swing. im still grooming my swing though. every now and then on the range contact just feels like butter and i hear two angels collide and the ball carries about 160.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner