2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

2017 ANA Inspiration - who ya got?

Warrick

One of the issues, in my opinion, that really hasn't been talked about here is who the "tipster" could have been. Anyone who has been to events knows there are all kinds of people involved with the game from parents to sponsors to agents to caddies to tour employees to run-of-the-mill fans out there watching. The public will not find out who the infraction notification came from. Ever. But, it may have been submitted with a threat that if the LPGA did not deal with it, there would be hell to pay. The tour could simply not allow that to happen. Whether it came from someone in attendance or not, a major event that still invokes the ghost of Dinah Shore at every opportunity could not take the risk of tarnishing that forever. And imagine how ANA would feel about that? Whan has proven one thing if nothing else, he takes care of the tour's sponsors. That is his job.

It makes sense and it has been suggested in one of the threads that the tip came from within the circle of rule officials. It was sent in as an email. I doubt LPGA was checking their [email protected] account in the middle of the final round. It has to be someone who knows the personal email of one of the LPGA rules officials.

Once LPGA received it, it basically had no choice. Sweeping it under the rug was not an option, or they risking turning it into a big cover up scandal.

What puzzles me, is why the TOUR did not take the blame for allowing an incorrect scorecard to be signed? Why was Lexi forced to pay for what turns out to be an accounting error? Two stroke penalty? Harsh, late, dubious, but correct. Two stroke incorrect scorecard penalty? Arbitrary, knee-jerk, gutless and chickensh*t. I am sure the next meeting of the card carriers with their reps on the Board of Directors is going to be one for the ages. Remember, this is a union worksite, and the membership still have the most to say about worksite environment. They will not stand for this.

The 2 strokes incorrect scorecard penalty is also specified by the Rules of Golf. It is not up to LPGA.

But it's not a Rules of Golf tournament. It's an LPGA tournament. It's their baby, they can call the shots.

That's why I asked several times where Whan was. As commissioner, he could have stepped in and simply said no penalty for an incorrect card.

I know the rules of golf govern the game. But sometimes the rules of common sense should take precedent.

Honestly, do you think people would have been upset if they had enforced the two stroke penalty, but not the one for an incorrect scorecard?

I know, anarchy!!

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the issues, in my opinion, that really hasn't been talked about here is who the "tipster" could have been. Anyone who has been to events knows there are all kinds of people involved with the game from parents to sponsors to agents to caddies to tour employees to run-of-the-mill fans out there watching. The public will not find out who the infraction notification came from. Ever. But, it may have been submitted with a threat that if the LPGA did not deal with it, there would be hell to pay. The tour could simply not allow that to happen. Whether it came from someone in attendance or not, a major event that still invokes the ghost of Dinah Shore at every opportunity could not take the risk of tarnishing that forever. And imagine how ANA would feel about that? Whan has proven one thing if nothing else, he takes care of the tour's sponsors. That is his job.

It makes sense and it has been suggested in one of the threads that the tip came from within the circle of rule officials. It was sent in as an email. I doubt LPGA was checking their [email protected] account in the middle of the final round. It has to be someone who knows the personal email of one of the LPGA rules officials.

Once LPGA received it, it basically had no choice. Sweeping it under the rug was not an option, or they risking turning it into a big cover up scandal.

What puzzles me, is why the TOUR did not take the blame for allowing an incorrect scorecard to be signed? Why was Lexi forced to pay for what turns out to be an accounting error? Two stroke penalty? Harsh, late, dubious, but correct. Two stroke incorrect scorecard penalty? Arbitrary, knee-jerk, gutless and chickensh*t. I am sure the next meeting of the card carriers with their reps on the Board of Directors is going to be one for the ages. Remember, this is a union worksite, and the membership still have the most to say about worksite environment. They will not stand for this.

The 2 strokes incorrect scorecard penalty is also specified by the Rules of Golf. It is not up to LPGA.

But it's not a Rules of Golf tournament. It's an LPGA tournament. It's their baby, they can call the shots.

That's why I asked several times where Whan was. As commissioner, he could have stepped in and simply said no penalty for an incorrect card.

I know the rules of golf govern the game. But sometimes the rules of common sense should take precedent.

Honestly, do you think people would have been upset if they had enforced the two stroke penalty, but not the one for an incorrect scorecard?

I know, anarchy!!

Did you see Whan's comments on it?

The punishment doesnt match the crime.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/04/04/lpga-commissioner-mike-whan-weighs-lexi-thompson-ruling

In real life (Law), there are statutes of limitation. Granted, they are openly distant from the actual time of the crime, but none the less, it's a time limit to prosecute. After that time frame, it's a moot point. Golf should/must adapt a similar attitude with rounds completed, score cards signed and ACCEPTED as cast in stone. This asinine day late and dollar short condemnation of a perceived rule infraction, by no less than someone not remotely part of the tournament, is beyond stupid. Fans and players alike have voiced negative opinions on this and the LPGA actually has done more harm than good to themselves. Now while this subject is fresh in front of us, in 2 weeks it will most likely be a distant memory to most folks, but those playing the game as a livelihood need to strongly voice for a definitive rules change.

I know, anarchy!!

Did you see Whan's comments on it?

The punishment doesnt match the crime.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/04/04/lpga-commissioner-mike-whan-weighs-lexi-thompson-ruling

Thanks Chris. Had not seen his comments. . While I still disagree I respect where he's coming from with them.

I still believe the correct call would have been to "abort" the scorecard rule. And I believe the majority of the players would have agreed.

As Harvey Korman said in History of the World, "It's good to be the King"(ill substitute commissioner for king)

Not sure that it can said with absolute certainty that she moved it closer to the hole.

It looks indisputable. I feel like it would hold up in a court of law. When she puts down the coin it is almost completely obscured by the ball. AFter she replaces the ball, the coin is then visible. Unless it can be proven that the camera rotated or revolved in that moment, the ball being placed closer to the hole is the only reasonable explanation for the coin being visble after the ball's replaced.

If she put the ball behind the coin, the coin would be visible and the ball would be farther from the hole. If she put the ball to the left the coin, the coin would be visible and the ball would be farther from the hole.

I'm afraid not. The camera was behind the hole. The ball covered the coin as viewed from the camera. That mean that the ball was slight to the right of her marker from her perspective. After the ball was placed, the marker was visible to the camera's left, or her right. This would place the ball directly between the marker and the hole, and thus closer.

20170404_151821.jpg

First, the camera is nowhere close to being behind the hole. It is to her right.

If anything, she places the ball to the right of the coin and replaces it to the left of the coin. When she replaces her ball, the coin is entirely visible and a line drawn through the coin and her ball would go left of the hole. Unless the camera is really playing tricks, that's not that hard to see. And, if the camera is playing tricks on us, then none of us can really tell anything with absolute certainty.

In real life (Law), there are statutes of limitation. Granted, they are openly distant from the actual time of the crime, but none the less, it's a time limit to prosecute. After that time frame, it's a moot point. Golf should/must adapt a similar attitude with rounds completed, score cards signed and ACCEPTED as cast in stone. This asinine day late and dollar short condemnation of a perceived rule infraction, by no less than someone not remotely part of the tournament, is beyond stupid. Fans and players alike have voiced negative opinions on this and the LPGA actually has done more harm than good to themselves. Now while this subject is fresh in front of us, in 2 weeks it will most likely be a distant memory to most folks, but those playing the game as a livelihood need to strongly voice for a definitive rules change.

There is a statute of limitations. It's the end of the tournament. Perceived infraction? It's virtually certainly the ball was misplaced. There is practically no argument on this point. The officials reviewed the video, and concluded that a penalty was warranted. The fact that a viewer alerted them to the infraction is immaterial. In a criminal case, i.e. real life law, does a cop have to witness a crime firsthand, or are eyewitness accounts, along with video, allowed?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Not sure that it can said with absolute certainty that she moved it closer to the hole.

It looks indisputable. I feel like it would hold up in a court of law. When she puts down the coin it is almost completely obscured by the ball. AFter she replaces the ball, the coin is then visible. Unless it can be proven that the camera rotated or revolved in that moment, the ball being placed closer to the hole is the only reasonable explanation for the coin being visble after the ball's replaced.

If she put the ball behind the coin, the coin would be visible and the ball would be farther from the hole. If she put the ball to the left the coin, the coin would be visible and the ball would be farther from the hole.

I'm afraid not. The camera was behind the hole. The ball covered the coin as viewed from the camera. That mean that the ball was slight to the right of her marker from her perspective. After the ball was placed, the marker was visible to the camera's left, or her right. This would place the ball directly between the marker and the hole, and thus closer.

20170404_151821.jpg

First, the camera is nowhere close to being behind the hole. It is to her right.

If anything, she places the ball to the right of the coin and replaces it to the left of the coin. When she replaces her ball, the coin is entirely visible and a line drawn through the coin and her ball would go left of the hole. Unless the camera is really playing tricks, that's not that hard to see. And, if the camera is playing tricks on us, then none of us can really tell anything with absolute certainty.

The camera is in a tower behind the green.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Thanks Chris. Had not seen his comments. . While I still disagree I respect where he's coming from with them.

I still believe the correct call would have been to "abort" the scorecard rule. And I believe the majority of the players would have agreed.

As Harvey Korman said in History of the World, "It's good to be the King"(ill substitute commissioner for king)

Rory just addressed it as well. Said that golfers know the ball doesnt get placed back in the exact same spot, and that 99% of the golf fraternity was behind Lexi. And said that the issue of viewers calling in needs to be addressed.

So now we have Phil saying the trophy should be given to Lexi and that it's known golfers do this, you have Rory saying the penalty was excessive, and even the LPGAs own commissioner now saying the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

20170404_151821.jpg

Amateur-Sketch-of-the-Creature-YouTube_zpshrep9m3f.jpg

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

So now we have Phil saying the trophy should be given to Lexi and that it's known golfers do this, you have Rory saying the penalty was excessive, and even the LPGAs own commissioner now saying the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

I can't believe Phil just crapped on So Yeon like that.

Like I said before, Lexi was 2 shot ahead with 6 holes to go. It was very much everyone's game at that point.

You cannot just minus 4 strokes from her final score and say this is the "would be" score.

Like I said before, Lexi was 2 shot ahead with 6 holes to go. It was very much everyone's game at that point.

You cannot just minus 4 strokes from her final score and say this is the "would be" score.

Hey, Phil. Should Martin Kaymer give DJ then Wanamaker trophy? Should Brittany give Anna the U.S. Open trophy? Should Jim Furyk give Brian Davis the spartan jacket? I mean, it's only fair, right? Each was decided by a rule infraction.

Hey, Phil. Should Martin Kaymer give DJ then Wanamaker trophy? Should Brittany give Anna the U.S. Open trophy? Should Jim Furyk give Brian Davis the spartan jacket? I mean, it's only fair, right? Each was decided by a rule infraction.

Totally with you on the idea Ryu should give the title back or as others suggested she should have purposely lost after the ruling. That's more idiotic than the situation itself.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

There is a statute of limitations. It's the end of the tournament. Perceived infraction? It's virtually certainly the ball was misplaced. There is practically no argument on this point. The officials reviewed the video, and concluded that a penalty was warranted. The fact that a viewer alerted them to the infraction is immaterial. In a criminal case, i.e. real life law, does a cop have to witness a crime firsthand, or are eyewitness accounts, along with video, allowed?

In some cases, yes a cop has to witness........eyewitness accounts have proven to be unreliable and video's can be non conclusive.......Phone calls and emails for a sporting event should be prohibited. If on sight officials and players and even close fans, do not offer any indication of rules being broken, then why entertain an outside agency which really has no business officiating.

​I say perceived infraction, because the intent, discernible advantage attained and amount of perceived distance of ball location can't be fully determined, but even though ruled upon, cannot be definitively condoned as worthy of the 4 stoke penalty, because of the untimely response to the infraction by the LPGA. Fans and pro's alike agree with this and have voiced their responses. The signing of a wrong scorecard was/is a wrong overstepping of the LPGA. The vast majority of again, fans and pro's agree with this. This is the biggest aspect of the entire debacle.

The perceived statue of limitations is the end of the tournament?...........OK, so for argument's sake, 72 holes has been completed and then a viewer calls/emails in with a complaint of rules infraction and it's verified by the powers that be, then it's OK to just ignore it and move on?.............For that's what your alluding to with tournament is over after 72. Then the question remains, why can't the signing and official acceptance of said score card fall under the same purview? No other sport allows such interference, it's incomprehensible that golf does though and we see that fall out from such behavior.

Not all that familiar with those infractions, but I'd venture to offer that they were not 24 hrs after the fact, via an email............

F--k Phil. That statement is pure BS.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Not all that familiar with those infractions, but I'd venture to offer that they were not 24 hrs after the fact, via an email............

The implication is the same: it is the responsibility of the winning player to override the rules committee's decision and concede the win to the player whom general consensus agrees is the innocent victim of a rules injustice.

While I'm still flabbergasted at what happened at the ANA tournament, I'd add another minor complaint.

I wish they used Trackman to show something other than the amount of curve on shots. C'mon, Golf Channel, most LPGA swing speeds and carry distances are reasonably equivalent to many amateur golf enthusiasts, so show us the numbers (swing speed, carry, max height, curve) as they happen just like the PGA. Perhaps trackman will share the information that was compiled as the last data was from 2013 IIRC.

In some cases, yes a cop has to witness........eyewitness accounts have proven to be unreliable and video's can be non conclusive.......Phone calls and emails for a sporting event should be prohibited. If on sight officials and players and even close fans, do not offer any indication of rules being broken, then why entertain an outside agency which really has no business officiating.

​I say perceived infraction, because the intent, discernible advantage attained and amount of perceived distance of ball location can't be fully determined, but even though ruled upon, cannot be definitively condoned as worthy of the 4 stoke penalty, because of the untimely response to the infraction by the LPGA. Fans and pro's alike agree with this and have voiced their responses. The signing of a wrong scorecard was/is a wrong overstepping of the LPGA. The vast majority of again, fans and pro's agree with this. This is the biggest aspect of the entire debacle.

The perceived statue of limitations is the end of the tournament?...........OK, so for argument's sake, 72 holes has been completed and then a viewer calls/emails in with a complaint of rules infraction and it's verified by the powers that be, then it's OK to just ignore it and move on?.............For that's what your alluding to with tournament is over after 72. Then the question remains, why can't the signing and official acceptance of said score card fall under the same purview? No other sport allows such interference, it's incomprehensible that golf does though and we see that fall out from such behavior.

Really, I never heard of the fact that a cop actually had to witness a robbery, burglary, murder, etc. before the state could proceed with its case. Lol.

Do you not understand the basic rules of golf? Intent to gain an advantage has no part of the rule governing playing the ball from the wrong position.

Asked and answered.

Look, you can talk about possible rule changes all you want. However, the rules governing this situation are quite clear, and the rules officials acted correctly.

The implication is the same: it is the responsibility of the winning player to override the rules committee's decision and concede the win to the player whom general consensus agrees is the innocent victim of a rules injustice.

Right, and by injustice he doesn't mean the incorrect application of the rules, but the fact that some players (and fans) may not like the rules, even though they are governed by said rules, and certainly use them to their advantage whenever possible, and rather than lobby to change the rules, decide that some rules can simply be ignored for the sake of the loud voices.

Hey, Phil, isn't there a sprinkler head in a bush that you need to install?

No, but the infractions all happened before the tournament was completed.

The rules do not specify how an infraction has to have been witnessed. They do state quite clearly that once notified of a possible infraction, a rules official must investigate. Are you suggesting that the rules officials cease performing their official duties by the rulebook, and arbitrarily decide which violations to enforce?

If I were the ruler of the golf kingdom I would do this:

The ability to call an infraction is allowed only by a fellow competitor in your group. The time limit for calling this infraction is once the first person in the group tees off on the next hole. Hockey has it right. Once the faceoff occurs after a goal, it's a goal, no challenges.

Anyone calling or emailing the PGA, LPGA, USGA, AJGA, or any governing body will have their email address or phone number published on the governing body's home page and if on TV, the information will be put on a perpetual crawl at the bottom of the TV screen until the end of the broadcast Sunday.

I would get to play a round at Augusta with Belen, In Gee, and Sandra Gal.

The ability to call an infraction is allowed only by a fellow competitor in your group. The time limit for calling this infraction is once the first person in the group tees off on the next hole. Hockey has it right. Once the faceoff occurs after a goal, it's a goal, no challenges.

Anyone calling or emailing the PGA, LPGA, USGA, AJGA, or any governing body will have their email address or phone number published on the governing body's home page and if on TV, the information will be put on a perpetual crawl at the bottom of the TV screen until the end of the broadcast Sunday.

Ooh, you put me in tough spot here. I disagree with your proposed change, but playing AN with Belen, In Gee, and Sandra should be worth at least 1/2 like.

:happy:

Hockey? Seriously? The sport that allowed slashing, high sticking, boarding, roughing, elbowing, cross-checking, and fighting to go basically unchecked for decades is the pinnacle of rules enforcement? They're one step above professional wrestling.

Ooh, you put me in tough spot here. I disagree with your proposed change, but playing AN with Belen, In Gee, and Sandra should be worth at least 1/2 like.

Hockey? Seriously? The sport that allowed slashing, high sticking, boarding, roughing, elbowing, cross-checking, and fighting to go basically unchecked for decades is the pinnacle of rules enforcement? They're one step above professional wrestling.

Hockey is the single greatest winter sport devised by man. Golf the greatest summer sport. Hockey players "enforce" the rules themselves. How dare you, lol.

Hockey is the single greatest winter sport devised by man. Golf the greatest summer sport. Hockey players "enforce" the rules themselves. How dare you, lol.

Nuh, uh. The luge is the greatest winter sport. 95 mph down a death defying roller coaster of ice while lying on your back on a piece of plywood with no steering? I'm quite sure the first luge ride was performed after the Norwegian rider uttered these famous words, "Here, hold my beer".

Seriously, I grew up on hockey. Then in the late 80's and early 90's they let it turn into professional wrestling. There was very little skill, and a whole lot of mindless violence. Of course a certain type of fan ate it up. It had become a sport I simply didn't recognize. The last game I watched was in 1990 at the Chicago Stadium. The Hawks were playing the Canadians, and the score was tied 1-1 two minutes before the end of the first period. These two bozos dropped their gloves at center ice, grabbed the jerseys, and starting taking half serious pokes at each other. The crowd went wild. The two were smiling at each other. This wasn't a fight, it was a staged wrestling match. The two got offsetting penalties, and spent the start of the 2nd period in the box. No harm to either team. That was the last straw for me.

If hockey wants to be taken seriously as a sport they have to ban fighting. Football, baseball, and basketball seem to do just fine without fighting. You want to fight? Fine, automatic ejection from the game, and a possible fine and/or suspension. 'Seems to work for the other leagues. I've nothing against a hard checked game, but leave the gloves on.

Nuh, uh. The luge is the greatest winter sport. 95 mph down a death defying roller coaster of ice while lying on your back on a piece of plywood with no steering? I'm quite sure the first luge ride was performed after the Norwegian rider uttered these famous words, "Here, hold my beer".

Seriously, I grew up on hockey. Then in the late 80's and early 90's they let it turn into professional wrestling. There was very little skill, and a whole lot of mindless violence. Of course a certain type of fan ate it up. It had become a sport I simply didn't recognize. The last game I watched was in 1990 at the Chicago Stadium. The Hawks were playing the Canadians, and the score was tied 1-1 two minutes before the end of the first period. These two bozos dropped their gloves at center ice, grabbed the jerseys, and starting taking half serious pokes at each other. The crowd went wild. The two were smiling at each other. This wasn't a fight, it was a staged wrestling match. The two got offsetting penalties, and spent the start of the 2nd period in the box. No harm to either team. That was the last straw for me.

If hockey wants to be taken seriously as a sport they have to ban fighting. Football, baseball, and basketball seem to do just fine without fighting. You want to fight? Fine, automatic ejection from the game, and a possible fine and/or suspension. 'Seems to work for the other leagues. I've nothing against a hard checked game, but leave the gloves on.

So, the mindless violence turned you from hockey to fashion ?

Are you suggesting that the tours hire 72 or 144 refs to tag along with each player?

I've been chuckling at some of the suggestions thrown around in the last 48 hours. I think some actually assume that the LPGA is this money-printing machine with bottomless funds to spend on an army of referees to police every shot by every player during every hole of every round. FAIRNESS! All because of one player's improper marking.

If they hire the refs, they'll be forced to cut down to one camera team, and outsource Tom Abbott's job. Then the kvetching will once again shift back to the lousy coverage.

Outsourcing Tom ? Not a chance.

Someday if there is women's golf only video game, it will be called "Abbott LPGA xx".

So, the mindless violence turned you from hockey to fashion ?

Lol. Ever see a fight over a prom dress at fashion outlet? Brutal.

afpwang3n-4-web.jpg