2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What are the odds a 17 HC shoots 5 over in a tournament?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The (very predictable) whinging in threads like this help to remind me of how grateful I am to have found a good club. We have gross and net events every week, and the number of sandbagger accusations on the net side is extremely small. We had a 17 capper shoot 37 last night, and rather than b***hing behind his back, the reaction I saw was a constant stream of congratulations.

That's because we know each other. We know without a doubt that 17 is totally appropriate for this player. And we know last night was lightning in a bottle.

The club has a history of dealing with legit cheating, too, so that helps put everyone at ease about those low rounds, because with up to 270 guys playing each Wednesday night, the net winners are going to be pretty good scores.

Last guy that was booted out of the club got caught putting in a high internet score for a scramble! He didn't know that one of our former assistant pros was at the course that hosted the scramble, and the young pro did some checking after the event and saw the guy had put in a T score of 90+ for this scramble.

He was under suspicion because his club tournament scores were consistently out of line with his internet scores. This guy was definitely getting some grumbles. After the incident about the scramble score, he was invited to explain to the board. Didn't show up, and got booted. Pro shop money was frozen. The handicap committee also notified our state organization and his cap was frozen for 2 years at about 2/3 of what he played in our events.

I recently played in an outing. Some guy claims he shot 64. Even if he were a scratch, the odds of shooting 64 (course rating from the set of tees was 67.5/127) are pretty incredible. He took him a big silver bowl. How nobody called him out on it is beyond me. I had a family obligation, so I didn't stay after the round for the announcements of scores and such.

I recently played in an outing. Some guy claims he shot 64. Even if he were a scratch, the odds of shooting 64 (course rating from the set of tees was 67.5/127) are pretty incredible. He took him a big silver bowl. How nobody called him out on it is beyond me. I had a family obligation, so I didn't stay after the round for the announcements of scores and such.

Was nobody marking his card?

Good question. I have no idea. It was 18 groups of 4, shotgun start now here is the odd thing. It was a shamble format. It was a team event. YET, they gave an award for lowest gross to an individual. Now how does that happen for a team event? It's B.S.

And the amazing part is, the dopes I work with are like "hey he shot 64, live with it." Talk about clueless.

A scratch shooting 3.5 strokes under his handicap happens once in every 100 rounds. Not exactly a rarity. That said with it a shamble the odds are even less amazing. Stupid to give a low gross award in that format? Yes. Doubtful occurrence? Heck no.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

A scratch shooting 3.5 strokes under his handicap happens once in every 100 rounds. Not exactly a rarity. That said with it a shamble the odds are even less amazing. Stupid to give a low gross award in that format? Yes. Doubtful occurrence? Heck no.

Well even if he shot a 64 in the shamble, it's not a true 64 is it? Unless they used every single one of his drives and his final score on every hole. Which I doubt very much.

Well even if he shot a 64 in the shamble, it's not a true 64 is it? Unless they used every single one of his drives and his final score on every hole. Which I doubt very much.

They wouldn't have to use his final score on every hole - i.e. their team score could have been even better if another member birdied one of the few holes the other guy parred.

I recall a recent thread that discussed this exact potential situation; I believe the OP was wondering if his drive was used on every hole, if the score would be postable because theoretically he could play each hole without touching his ball and otherwise in accordance with the RoG.

Not sure how it ended up though. :beruo:

No it's not a true 64. But in your post you said the odds were "incredible" for a scratch to shoot that number on that course. They are not. But then he really probably didn't shoot 64 either.

No it's not a true 64. But in your post you said the odds were "incredible" for a scratch to shoot that number on that course. They are not. But then he really probably didn't shoot 64 either.

I used the wrong term. A scratch to shoot 4 under his hdcp is like a 700 to 1 shot per the USGA chart.

I used the wrong term. A scratch to shoot 4 under his hdcp is like a 700 to 1 shot per the USGA chart.

As shilgy is trying to tell you,,,,,,

a) 700 to 1 is hardly incredible.

and

2) It was a shamble. So for any tee balls he knocked into the woods (or elsewhere) he could just go to the next best ball and play in from there.

Probably FAR LESS than 700-1.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

When I look at the Pope of Slope chart it's 151:1 . Do you have a different chart?

Good question. I have no idea. It was 18 groups of 4, shotgun start now here is the odd thing. It was a shamble format. It was a team event. YET, they gave an award for lowest gross to an individual. Now how does that happen for a team event? It's B.S.

And the amazing part is, the dopes I work with are like "hey he shot 64, live with it." Talk about clueless.

In a shamble format with a good group it is not unthinkable for someone with good wedge and putting skills to go low.

50:1

If they do it around me first ones free but do it again and odds their wheels needing a new windscreen are 1:1

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

For Independence Day, our club had a flag tournament. Start on 1, play until you hit your handicap in strokes, and put your flag in the ground. So if you shot your handicap, your flag would be at 18 green, under your cap, on 1st or 2nd hole, etc...

30 players or so in the tournament. I didn't enter for obvious reasons, but I played 1 group behind the last flag group so all the flags were in by the time I came through.

2 flags on 17 green, 1 in 18 fringe, 2 at 18 green. 2 fairway looked like Arlington national.

Someone calculate those odds of 25 Of 30 shooting 5 strokes under their cap.

For Independence Day, our club had a flag tournament. Start on 1, play until you hit your handicap in strokes, and put your flag in the ground. So if you shot your handicap, your flag would be at 18 green, under your cap, on 1st or 2nd hole, etc...

30 players or so in the tournament. I didn't enter for obvious reasons, but I played 1 group behind the last flag group so all the flags were in by the time I came through.

2 flags on 17 green, 1 in 18 fringe, 2 at 18 green. 2 fairway looked like Arlington national.

Wow the # of sandbaggers!!!!!

Did they just not bother to put flag down or did you see that many on holes 1-2-3? A lot of times in an event like that folks won't bother to place their flag on 15-16 even 17.

That's grounds for renting a monster truck and flattening the entire parking lot.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Did they just not bother to put flag down or did you see that many on holes 1-2-3? A lot of times in an event like that folks won't bother to place their flag on 15-16 even 17.

Forgetting for the moment that I have NO idea what the "obvious reasons" were for him not participating, can someone kindly explain what the frig he's talking about ?

"Start on 1, play until you hit your handicap in strokes, and put your flag in the ground." Say what ?

"if you shot your handicap, your flag would be at 18 green" Huh ?

"2 flags on 17 green, 1 in 18 fringe, 2 at 18 green. 2 fairway looked like Arlington national." :blink:

Titleist Pro V1X

Forgetting for the moment that I have NO idea what the "obvious reasons" were for him not participating, can someone kindly explain what the frig he's talking about ?

"Start on 1, play until you hit your handicap in strokes, and put your flag in the ground." Say what ?

"2 flags on 17 green, 1 in 18 fringe, 2 at 18 green. 2 fairway looked like Arlington national." :blink:

Let's say your hdcp gets you 6 strokes on a rated 72. That means you have 78 total strokes.

If you get to 16 green in 78 strokes. Stop. Plant flag. You shot over your hdcp. Sucks to be you today.

If you get to 18 green, hole out in 78, congrats. You shot your hdcp and are not a sandbagger.

If you hole out on 18 *under* 78 strokes (sandbagger) you tee up again at #1 and play til you hit 78.

In other words, 1-2 fairway looked like Arlington National Cemetery because all those players had strokes left after 18 and kept going.

It's a 4th of July thing so most of the time the flags are little American flags. Hence the reference to the National Cemetery filled up with flags on Independence

Day.

Let's say your hdcp gets you 6 strokes on a rated 72. That means you have 78 total strokes.

If you get to 16 green in 78 strokes. Stop. Plant flag. You shot over your hdcp. Sucks to be you today.

If you get to 18 green, hole out in 78, congrats. You shot your hdcp and are not a sandbagger.

If you hole out on 18 *under* 78 strokes (sandbagger) you tee up again at #1 and play til you hit 78.

In other words, 1-2 fairway looked like Arlington National Cemetery because all those players had strokes left after 18 and kept going.

It's a 4th of July thing so most of the time the flags are little American flags. Hence the reference to the National Cemetery filled up with flags on Independence

Day.

Ahhhhh, thanks so much for the explanation. :good: Never played that before.

Any idea why he didn't play "for obvious reasons" ? :dntknw: :D

Titleist Pro V1X

Day.

Ahhhhh, thanks so much for the explanation. :good: Never played that before.

Any idea why he didn't play "for obvious reasons" ? :dntknw: :D

Probably because the obvious explanation is tournaments like that are usually full of cheating lying sandbagging piles of garbage who need to be hit In the mouth with a 2 x 4

Probably because the obvious explanation is tournaments like that are usually full of cheating lying sandbagging piles of garbage who need to be hit In the mouth with a 2 x 4

While he has an honest cap that never plays to it? We all shoot our cap or better about 20-25% of the time. Which does not mean that in a given event only 25% are allowed to shoot their cap. Their are days the weather and course make it relatively easy to score.

While he has an honest cap that never plays to it? We all shoot our cap or better about 20-25% of the time. Which does not mean that in a given event only 25% are allowed to shoot their cap. Their are days the weather and course make it relatively easy to score.

All true Shilgster but 25 out of 30 5 better ?

No frickin' way !!! :hunter: :hunter: :hunter:

So tell me what I'm (still) missing here. What's the point of the flags ? Didn't they just play a "net" game ??? :blink:

Titleist Pro V1X

You are to shoot your HC 1X/4-5 rounds, thus with 30 golfers only 6-8 golfers should make it through 18.

Now anyone beating their HC by 5 shots is approximately 270:1.....

http://www.popeofslo...gging/odds.html

And I expect that this course doesn't have a 112 slope.

So just to be clear my HC is now 14, so in this format once I hit my 86th shot (par 72) I lay my flag down. I would have had to shoot pretty much a PB to get to #2 along with 83.33% of the field.

So yes 25 making it past 18 is laughable and the reason not to play money games with them.

All true Shilgster but 25 out of 30 5 better ?

No frickin' way !!! :hunter: :hunter: :hunter:

So tell me what I'm (still) missing here. What's the point of the flags ? Didn't they just play a "net" game ??? :blink:

I was blind but now I see lol. I missed the "2 fairway looked like Arlington Cemetery" earlier and was thinking that many of the 25 just didn't put their flags down because they knew they had no chance of winning.

And yes, similar to a low net game with the tiebreaker of getting furthest on a hole. You and I could both be two shots onto hole number 3 but you're further on the course than I because you hit it further, or straighter.

The problem with some clubs (1 that I play in) is that the guys who regularly finish in the money, also have a tight knit group within the club, and are the same guys that play against other clubs early in the year in club vs club competition. IIRC about 6 clubs play over 8 weeks in a round robin type of set up.

The guys who seem to be baggin a little, would never get in trouble from anyone who runs the club. It a little like surfers and their "locals" get the good waves policy.

I have shot some pretty good scores in this group and only have cashed money on closest to the pin or skins. I also played in an SCGA event where a 26 cap shot and 86 to win by 5 or 6 stokes.

I will continue to play in tournaments for the near future, as I like the formats and friendships, but it's absolutely has a dirty feel to them on occasion.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow