2017 Masters Tournament Discussion Thread

PZero

The Masters doesn't begin until the back 9 on Sunday. I feel like that wasn't said enough this year.

I never quite got that. Each shot, each stroke is important, whether it's on a Thursday morning or Sunday afternoon. A player doesn't get in contention at Augusta, or anywhere else, if he played bad golf on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and the front nine on Sunday.

That probably stems from way back when, when they only televised the back 9.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised that Padraig would say what he did about Sergio, but he often says some surprising things...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

I'm a bit surprised that Padraig would say what he did about Sergio, but he often says some surprising things...

everyone knows that Sergio has his flaws. It his progression that won fans over. In essence, that is what Padraig is saying.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I was watching the replay again last night, and I stopped it on DVR at the moment he bent down in joy, and you could see his fiance in the background doing the same, and everybody else was standing, was cool.

...then I stopped it again and noticed Kuchar knelt down about 15-20 feet behind her, watching, then was there to congratulate him.

I have always liked Matt, he seems to purely enjoy doing what he does, and that made me an even bigger fan.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

...then I stopped it again and noticed Kuchar knelt down about 15-20 feet behind her, watching, then was there to congratulate him.

I have always liked Matt, he seems to purely enjoy doing what he does, and that made me an even bigger fan.

Kuchar is a phony. I noticed Sergio kinda blew him off when he walked off the green, he must not care for him either.

Kuchar is a phony. I noticed Sergio kinda blew him off when he walked off the green, he must not care for him either.

That's pretty harsh. Do you know him personally?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Kuchar seems like a decent guy to me comma and enjoys his profession. The only thing I have against him is I don't care for his Skechers commercials. "The best place to put your drive is in the hole". Really?

Knowing what we know about Sergio, he's got to be the db rather than Kuch, who is almost universally liked on TOUR.

Knowing what we know about Sergio, he's got to be the db rather than Kuch, who is almost universally liked on TOUR.

Sergio is actually really nice. I've had several pleasant interactions with him. I have no clue how well liked he is on tour though.

Sergio is actually really nice. I've had several pleasant interactions with him. I have no clue how well liked he is on tour though.

I have seen Sergio often at the Open and in Crans, he is one of the nicest guys around with fans, staff and other players on and off the course

I have seen Sergio often at the Open and in Crans, he is one of the nicest guys around with fans, staff and other players on and off the course

Yep. Guys like Donald, Kaymer, Rafa, Jose, Mcginley, Rory, Rickie and Sneds are all good friends with Sergio. If there was any beef between Kucher and Sergio then surely Kucher wouldn't have stuck around to congratulate him. I think Sergio was just a bit distracted.

He is great with the fans. My younger cousin is a big Sergio fan, so I took him to meet him and see him play at the Bridgestone Invitational. He got his picture with Sergio, got an 8x10 signed, and his Bridgestone flag signed. Now he is a Sergio fan for life.

He is great with the fans. My younger cousin is a big Sergio fan, so I took him to meet him and see him play at the Bridgestone Invitational. He got his picture with Sergio, got an 8x10 signed, and his Bridgestone flag signed. Now he is a Sergio fan for life.

Some of Sergio's friends who showed up ad his charity event the day after the 2016 Open (including the freshly crowned Champion Golfer of the Year)

garcia_1920_friends_switzerland.jpg

Kuchar seems like a decent guy to me comma and enjoys his profession. The only thing I have against him is I don't care for his Skechers commercials. "The best place to put your drive is in the hole". Really?

FFS

Lighten up

Okay, so there are people who have met, and can vouch for, Sergio. Check.

Who has met Kuchar, and what experience leads you to believe that he is a phony?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I love watching the Masters each year; definitely one of my favorite sporting events to watch.

However, year after year the same holes have the same story: there are several birdie holes (on some of which a par is like a bogey); 2, 8 (less so), 13, 15, 16. Then there are maybe-birdie holes: 3, 7, 9, 14. Then there are par-holes: 1, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18. On some of the "par holes" seeing a birdie on TV is a rarity.

I dunno, its just year after year it comes down to the same holes, etc. On the one hand, it is a major and perhaps should not be a birdie fest. On the other hand, under-par is the norm there (unlike a US Open). I guess I feel like getting a birdie on one of the nine holes listed is seemingly impossible.

I love watching the Masters each year; definitely one of my favorite sporting events to watch.

However, year after year the same holes have the same story: there are several birdie holes (on some of which a par is like a bogey); 2, 8 (less so), 13, 15, 16. Then there are maybe-birdie holes: 3, 7, 9, 14. Then there are par-holes: 1, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18. On some of the "par holes" seeing a birdie on TV is a rarity.

I dunno, its just year after year it comes down to the same holes, etc. On the one hand, it is a major and perhaps should not be a birdie fest. On the other hand, under-par is the norm there (unlike a US Open). I guess I feel like getting a birdie on one of the nine holes listed is seemingly impossible.

Because of the speed and slope of the green it is the pin positions that dictate which holes are birdie opportunities and which are not. On Sunday they try and put the pins in position to cause maximum drama on the back 9. In that sense it's slightly contrived but it does certainly create drama.

The course definitely played harder a few years ago when Zack and Immelman were winning but the committee decided that there wasn't enough excitement and wanted to hear more roars on Sunday.

Sergio won the Masters with a birdie on the 18 in the playoff, as well as Scott and Cabrera...