2017 Masters Tournament Discussion Thread

PZero

Here's a question for the peanut gallery. On a scale of '08 PGA Championship to 2013 Masters, how legitimate of a major championship victory was this considering the clear world #1 and hottest player in the world was absent? Is there a big, small, or no asterisk? Mark me down for saying it is 98% asterisk free.

Seriously? I guess we should call Padraig Harrington and tell him his 3 majors dont count then. The best player won period.He doesnt have to beat non present players to validate anything.Ridiculous premise

No kidding.. Read somewhere that some major champions were having a discussion on whether PGA should be a major. A winner of the PGA said something like - I will accept mine not being a major as soon as you tell Jack that his five don't count.

Doesn't matter who is or is not in the field - you beat them all.

PGA Championship = toughest field and 1st or 2nd largest purse.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Sergio fan but a great win for him. His pure joy when he won was pretty damn cool. Congrats go out to him.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

That was just awesome golf to watch.

I know they are good friends but it was great to see the acknowledgement of good shots between Justin & Sergio. I know Sergio has been a lip dropper but I've also seen him be very complimentary of the guys that have beaten him before.

Any young golfers watching take note of the class of Justin Rose. What a great golfer & what a great bloke he obviously is.

That is up there as one of the best Masters finishes I've seen, just brilliant to watch.

I would have been happy for Justin to win it but I was hoping Sergio would get over the line. The guy is an incredible talent & I couldn't have been any happier if an Aussie won.

it seemed Sergio driver wasn't cooperating with him he would fade when a draw was needed and vice versa. what I find amazing is that he over came that portion of his game and relied on accurate iron play and putting.

Not sure where you mean as I couldn't watch the whole thing, but what I saw was Sergio busting it down the pipe, way out there past Rose who is no slouch either.

Same here. He had 3 that just didn't cut for him on 7, 11, and 13 (and a fat 3 wood on 10). Other than those, Sergio was pounding a low bullet cut out there like 330. It was sick.

1, 2, 3, 5 (3 wood), 8, 9, 14, 15, 17, and 18 (twice) - those were all ripped.

He drove the ball like a monster all day. He was blasting it further and straighter than anybody in the field yesterday. Sure he hit a couple slightly off mark, but hes human. His driver was fantastic yesterday.

it was great to watch and could have gone either way ..well done Sergio and well done Justin also..

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

Here's a question for the peanut gallery. On a scale of '08 PGA Championship to 2013 Masters, how legitimate of a major championship victory was this considering the clear world #1 and hottest player in the world was absent? Is there a big, small, or no asterisk? Mark me down for saying it is 98% asterisk free.

Seriously? I guess we should call Padraig Harrington and tell him his 3 majors dont count then. The best player won period.He doesnt have to beat non present players to validate anything.Ridiculous premise

No kidding.. Read somewhere that some major champions were having a discussion on whether PGA should be a major. A winner of the PGA said something like - I will accept mine not being a major as soon as you tell Jack that his five don't count.

Doesn't matter who is or is not in the field - you beat them all.

PGA Championship = toughest field and 1st or 2nd largest purse.

Players Championship is very very close to the PGA Championship. I'm not a fan of making a 5th major, but the TPC comes as close as you can get to one.

Talk about age and guile (and experience at Augusta) winning out over youth, this was "one for the ages" so to speak. Garcia, Rose, Schwartzel, Kuchar, Casey averaged about 35 years of age (just guessing) and nearly four under par. Even Kevin Chappell is around 30.

Pieters and McIlroy and farther down the leaderboard Matsuyama were the 20-something posting good rounds but the mid-70's round for Spieth and Fowler really inflate the last-round scoring for the younger contingent.

This has been a long, strange trip Sergio. After 99 I was so excited that once Jose was finished, there would be another Spaniard to take his place. I picked up a club for the first time because of Seve, and that may seem odd as an American, that it was not Jack, or Arnie, or Johnny. 99 was emotional with Ollie coming of the back/foot problems, never knowing if he would compete again.

I am a HUGE sports fan, and have had a lot of pain and joy as a fan.....

As life long fans of the Red Sox and Red Wings, got to see both teams get over the hump, and win multiple. As a Vikings fan, the wait continues.

This was absolutely one of the top moments in my life as a sports fan along with any of Seve's Majors, Ollie's win in 99, Sox in 04, and when Bowden finally got his NC in 93. I cried many tears of joy yesterday. This was very, very special for me yesterday.

Well done my man, congratulations on winning the 2017 Masters.

Ow, and there you are making me cry. Only joking, I also had this frog in my throat at the time. Happy for the Serg

Happy for Sergio. I always thought he got an undeserved amount of hostility thrown his way on this side of the Atlantic.

I was delighted to see the Master's crowds largely pulling for him, yet without pulling against Rose. It was a fine "match" between the two of them, and I know I'm "Old School", but I like to see the kind of sportsmanship and appreciation for one's opponent that was displayed at Augusta this weekend.

Makes me proud to be a golf fan.

The course, once again, proved itself worthy of the stature of the tournament.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Didn't watch as much as I should have , Rors major issue this week? Faulty putter? Etc....

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Happy for Sergio. I always thought he got an undeserved amount of hostility thrown his way on this side of the Atlantic.

I was delighted to see the Master's crowds largely pulling for him, yet without pulling against Rose. It was a fine "match" between the two of them, and I know I'm "Old School", but I like to see the kind of sportsmanship and appreciation for one's opponent that was displayed at Augusta this weekend.

I agree 100% with the sportsmanship comment Lodestone. I wasn't a Rose fan (didn't dislike him, just wasn't a fan) before this tournament, but I am now.

I agree 100% with the sportsmanship comment Lodestone. I wasn't a Rose fan (didn't dislike him, just wasn't a fan) before this tournament, but I am now.

Likewise with me, regarding Rose. One of the many cool things about the Ryder Cup's gain in popularity and coverage is how much more we know of the Euros than we did when Seve won his first Masters. Seeing how they compete in Ryder Cup pressure, and how they handle themselves in victory and defeat gives the Masters just one more dimension of interest, I think.

It seems clear to me that the bonds that form in that environment carry over when players are paired as they were yesterday, for example in the Rose-Garcia and Spieth-Fowler pairings. Fiercely competitive, yet respectful.

I'd wager Bobby Jones would approve.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

What a great tournament...Never was a fan of "young Sergio" but as I had aged and matured (some) I was pulling for him. Really pulling for anyone other than Speith as I am just not a fan (see not THAT mature)...Good for Sergio.

Unless I am missing something I think GOLF WRX needs a twitter hashtag or a group twitter for majors. Doing this and connecting w/ golf fans is fun but doing it on a message board is so 1994. W/ that said I don't have all the idea worked out but maybe the week of the tournament the team could let us know the hashtag like #GolfWRXMasters or something and we would know where to go and we could talk collectively as a group.

The app SLACK would be another option maybe. Seems it would be better to "talk" in realtime that refreshing every so often to see what people have said and respond to it

Just a thought and again congrats to Sergio...glad he won it and someone didn't lose it.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

Sergio Garcia - Masters Champion • A Sunday to Remember!

12781983w.jpg

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Didn't watch as much as I should have , Rors major issue this week? Faulty putter? Etc....

For whatever reason, Rory is just not firing on all cylinders. He misses a lot of seemingly makable putts; his short game is inconsistent and he hits poor shots at inopportune times. I think he has a problem with concentration.

For whatever reason, Rory is just not firing on all cylinders. He misses a lot of seemingly makable putts; his short game is inconsistent and he hits poor shots at inopportune times. I think he has a problem with concentration.

Steaming hot take:

Rory will never win a Masters.

Terrible event to put the pressure on to have to win for the career slam. He doesn't really have much of a conservative game (IMO you need one at Augusta). And the ghosts will always haunt him. Look at Jordan, he couldn't escape it.

I replied to Justin's "thank you to his team" tweet this morning saying he has gained many more fans with his play and sportsmanship.

Fantastic Masters and one of the best 2 or 3 tournaments I can remember ('75 and '86 being the others). Great competitive drive from both players and great sportsmanship as well. They were both playing terrifically and it was great, as another person noted, that although most people were pulling for Sergio they weren't against Justin Rose at all. Terrific ending by Sergio sinking the birdie putt too. And I cannot remember a Masters where so many were in contention in the final round, just terrific theater.