How are you starting your season?

MtlJeff

Currently started one legged chipping in basement. 6 weeks post op for my 2nd hip labral repair (opposite hip) in 3 years :)

Rebuilding from the bottom of the mountain several times gets draining. But we love this and the little steps of progress can feel rewarding again if you have the right attitude

Just got back from the range where I'm hitting the ball better I ever have in my 50+ year career.

just got me hype!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting. Another 12-14 inches of snow for Friday. Looks like I'll start the season by game planning where I'm going to move before 2019.

South Dakota correct? Western part?

If so, we're about 200 miles south. 70* yesterday (with steady 25+ mph wind). I think high today is low to mid 30's. Snow forecasts vary, most saying 1-3", but also some as high as 12". 70's again on Monday. Crazy☹️

Yeah, Southern Alberta is really behind this year. I think I played my first round last year on March 24, and from what the course is telling us, this year will be 4 weeks later than that. That has to hurt the course's bottom line.

Mad Bomber, you'll definitely be into May over there. I was in the city last week and couldn't believe how much more snow you have!

Played April 7 at Fox Hollow last year and Shag on March 28 the year before. This year I'm hoping before May 15. There is a lot of snow in the city. It won't warm up. Gonna make up the late start-signed up for my first mens night this year. My wife is retiring today and she's signed up for a ladies league so it'll be a catchup year

Still waiting. Another 12-14 inches of snow for Friday. Looks like I'll start the season by game planning where I'm going to move before 2019.

If so, we're about 200 miles south. 70* yesterday (with steady 25+ mph wind). I think high today is low to mid 30's. Snow forecasts vary, most saying 1-3", but also some as high as 12". 70's again on Monday. Crazy☹️

That is correct, Rapid City. I moved over here from Wyoming. Last year it was a banana belt and we started playing in February. Next time instead of moving West to East, I'm moving south. Are you in Nebraska I take it?

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

That is correct, Rapid City. I moved over here from Wyoming. Last year it was a banana belt and we started playing in February. Next time instead of moving West to East, I'm moving south. Are you in Nebraska I take it?

Yes sir. I see you guys are under a blizzard warning today. Just lovely. Where in Wyoming.

I told my kids they were never allowed to move north, only south, if we were going to eventually follow them. They just didn’t go far enough. I was thinking Phoenix and they only made to Colorado

Yes sir. I see you guys are under a blizzard warning today. Just lovely. Where in Wyoming.

I told my kids they were never allowed to move north, only south, if we were going to eventually follow them. They just didn’t go far enough. I was thinking Phoenix and they only made to Colorado

Gillette, so not too far from there. That is why I grew up having the inability to hit a golf ball more than 50 feet off the ground! Punch hooks all day, let it roll! The 3 month golf season makes it hard to remember any swing adjustments.

Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Titleist SM9 54 and 58 

Gillette, so not too far from there. That is why I grew up having the inability to hit a golf ball more than 50 feet off the ground! Punch hooks all day, let it roll! The 3 month golf season makes it hard to remember any swing adjustments.

Eastern SD here, just awaiting this crappy blizzard and a forecasted 10-14" here as well! This is the winter that will not die.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

After some really great range sessions, new grip and swing dialed in...go out for the first green grass golf of the year today...couldn't have done much worse. Blocks right, straight pulls left, chunked irons, fatted chips, and so on and so on. Seems to take me a couple of rounds to transition from mats to grass...I somehow love and hate the start of the season...

This morning will involve a range session to sort out my mid and longer irons. Woods, hybrids and wedges going well, irons less so. And it is dry, a hint of sunshine and around 12 degrees. Almost tropical...may break out a polo shirt and ditch the thermals....later on nipping down the road to watch county squad in a pre season and then some Pilates.

Still pretty frozen here in Upstate NY. Was able to get out last week even though it was 35 degrees with the windchill making it feel like 25. With it being such a cold day and constant wind of 15-25 MPH i really wasn't expecting much i just wanted to get out and play. I started off strong 6 for 6 greens in reg on the first 6 holes with 6 pars then i got cold and started to hit the ball everywhere after that. Still a solid 79 for the opening round of the year. I moved this winter and now have an outdoor range open year round 10 minutes down the road. Getting in some range sessions over the winter has me more confident to start the year than i have been in a long time. I was supposed to get out and play yesterday but a quarter of an inch of freezing rain put the damper on that real quick. Fingers crossed the early forecast for next weekend is the High 50's low 60's. If we get there it will feel like a heat wave!

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Well, we ended up getting around 12-14" of snow, and now they're saying another 2-5" Tuesday night into Wednesday. It's seriously getting depressing here, as normally I've played probably 5+ times by now. Could be close to May before the courses open up here now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

After the last month being, what feels like, the worst March-April I can remember, we are looking at mid to high 60's this weekend. Just received notification that our courses will be open for business this Sunday at 10am. Problem is, my daughter's birthday party is that day at 2. So, no time to get a round in before or after. And, next weekend we are going out of town. So, no golf for me for a couple more weeks yet. I am thrilled that the weather is turning around, but disappointed that I still will not be playing golf until May. It is a roller coaster of emotions. I am going to fight like hell to get a day off next week.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well, we ended up getting around 12-14" of snow, and now they're saying another 2-5" Tuesday night into Wednesday. It's seriously getting depressing here, as normally I've played probably 5+ times by now. Could be close to May before the courses open up here now.

And just sitting here again watching the snow come down, to the tune of around 5".

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

And just sitting here again watching the snow come down, to the tune of around 5".

Man, you guys can't catch a break down there. I thought we had it bad until I saw that big storm slid south of us.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Man, you guys can't catch a break down there. I thought we had it bad until I saw that big storm slid south of us.

The good news is the extended forecast is looking great, I'm hoping maybe in a week or so to be golfing!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I'm feeling pretty good going into the season. I didn't really touch a club, besides my putter on my birdieball green, from the end of December through the end of February. I took some time to just relax which was good. In March I took a 'refresher lesson' with my instructor, whom I hadn't seen since August of last year. I really needed the refresher because after a long time off, my brain forgets things....which I think many folks can relate to.

So after my lesson I've played a few rounds (until it snowed again) and spent time working on the moves from my lesson. I feel like things are certainly clicking. I'm honestly impressed with how my tee game has changed from the 2016 season through last season....and it seems to have continued into this year, which really gives me a lot of hope.

Fingers crossed that when this snow melts..... Everything is firing on almost all cylinders.

It's been a mixed bag but trending positively. Played to 14 for my last three rounds, but two felt like a real achievement on tough courses, whilst the other I was +3 through 11 and then collapsed which was very frustrating.

Worked really hard on my driving and long irons over the winter which is paying dividends (Plus my 2016 M1 is a cannon!) however my putting seems to have regressed considerably (which last year was on fire) so more work to do!

Cut my driver down (44.5 from 45.5) and got a mallet-style putter this year, so I'm optimistic about those two facets of my game. Now, if I can only improve my play from 80 yards in...

The weather is finally starting to improve here. I played my first round last Friday and had a pair of birdies. My score wasn't great due to heavy wind (25+ mph) and a few blow-up holes, but I've already noticed improvement in my putting and driving from last year.

Cut my driver down (44.5 from 45.5) and got a mallet-style putter this year, so I'm optimistic about those two facets of my game. Now, if I can only improve my play from 80 yards in...

The weather is finally starting to improve here. I played my first round last Friday and had a pair of birdies. My score wasn't great due to heavy wind (25+ mph) and a few blow-up holes, but I've already noticed improvement in my putting and driving from last year.

I also made similar changes - bought a couple of new shafts to test in my driver and had them all cut to playing length of 44.5". Also bought a mid-mallet putter along with a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer/Pro Golf Putting Mat and have been working on my putting like crazy.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I also made similar changes - bought a couple of new shafts to test in my driver and had them all cut to playing length of 44.5". Also bought a mid-mallet putter along with a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer/Pro Golf Putting Mat and have been working on my putting like crazy.

Do you guys have any winter golf facilities down in Sioux Falls? I know you guys have a Golf Addictions. Wasn't sure if there were other options like an indoor range.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Do you guys have any winter golf facilities down in Sioux Falls? I know you guys have a Golf Addictions. Wasn't sure if there were other options like an indoor range.

Golf Addiction and then GreatLife has 1 or 2 facilities with simulators as well. I think Avera (the hospital) may still have indoor range in their sports bubble as well.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Golf Addiction and then GreatLife has 1 or 2 facilities with simulators as well. I think Avera (the hospital) may still have indoor range in their sports bubble as well.

Fargo had an indoor range as well, but I think the roof has blown down a few too many times. The proprietor of the bubble left to be a head pro in Perham, MN. The owners of the building opened the range up again. But, I saw in the news that the roof blew down again last week.

I played with a guy this winter that mentioned that GreatLife membership. Seems pretty interesting. I can't remember all of the details, but it sounded pretty sweet from what I can remember.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Fargo had an indoor range as well, but I think the roof has blown down a few too many times. The proprietor of the bubble left to be a head pro in Perham, MN. The owners of the building opened the range up again. But, I saw in the news that the roof blew down again last week.

I played with a guy this winter that mentioned that GreatLife membership. Seems pretty interesting. I can't remember all of the details, but it sounded pretty sweet from what I can remember.

I lived in Fargo for around 7 years between school and work and I used to spend a lot of time in the sports bubble hitting balls in the winter. I thought the guy (Matt Johnson) that owned the sports bubble went to be the NDSU women's golf head coach? I could be mistaken and perhaps Matt just ran the driving range and simulator side of things there, but I thought he owned it all the years I was up there (up until 2009).

GreatLife is an awesome company, and a sweet deal for golf. We're pretty lucky to have it.

I really miss playing Edgewood, which was where I played the majority of my golf up there. Later on, I lived way far out on the west edge of West Fargo, and then was a member at Maple River for two years.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I lived in Fargo for around 7 years between school and work and I used to spend a lot of time in the sports bubble hitting balls in the winter. I thought the guy (Matt Johnson) that owned the sports bubble went to be the NDSU women's golf head coach? I could be mistaken and perhaps Matt just ran the driving range and simulator side of things there, but I thought he owned it all the years I was up there (up until 2009).

GreatLife is an awesome company, and a sweet deal for golf. We're pretty lucky to have it.

I really miss playing Edgewood, which was where I played the majority of my golf up there. Later on, I lived way far out on the west edge of West Fargo, and then was a member at Maple River for two years.

I think he did go to NDSU. I don't know if he owned the building or not. Jeff Olson took over once Matt left. I think Jeff was an assistant pro at Village Green in Moorhead years ago. Edgewood is great, although I haven't played there in a few years. I typically stick to the Moorhead courses. I think when we had all of those floods, Edgewood took a beating and had to do some flood mitigation over the next few years afterwards. I avoided it during that time and just kind of forgot all forcing myself to get out there. I try to get out to Maple River a few times a year yet.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

First round will be tomorrow for a tournament. High of 50 and raining. Gonna be a rough start to 2018. I'll probably be wearing jeans based on the forecast...

Titleist SM9 54 and 58