How are you starting your season?

MtlJeff

Cut my driver down (44.5 from 45.5) and got a mallet-style putter this year, so I'm optimistic about those two facets of my game. Now, if I can only improve my play from 80 yards in...

The weather is finally starting to improve here. I played my first round last Friday and had a pair of birdies. My score wasn't great due to heavy wind (25+ mph) and a few blow-up holes, but I've already noticed improvement in my putting and driving from last year.

I also made similar changes - bought a couple of new shafts to test in my driver and had them all cut to playing length of 44.5". Also bought a mid-mallet putter along with a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer/Pro Golf Putting Mat and have been working on my putting like crazy.

I was using a stock length Rogue Black (45.5") in my 2016 M1 and found myself missing on the heel a lot last year. I put a Tour Green, which was already at 44.5" with a TM tip installed, on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas with the thinking that if it didn't work out, I wouldn't be taking any financial hit. Gotta love the adjustable drivers...if the shorter shaft didn't work, I could just drop my original right back in. First round out and my miss was primarily high-toe...I can live with that...the heel misses kill your distance.

The putter is a Cleveland Elevado that I won in one of the WRX giveaway threads, so I'm similarly not out anything if it doesn't work out. Sank a few 8-10 footers, one left over from a bunker recovery for birdie, that I'd have normally missed, so things are looking promising on that front also.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Fargo for around 7 years between school and work and I used to spend a lot of time in the sports bubble hitting balls in the winter. I thought the guy (Matt Johnson) that owned the sports bubble went to be the NDSU women's golf head coach? I could be mistaken and perhaps Matt just ran the driving range and simulator side of things there, but I thought he owned it all the years I was up there (up until 2009).

GreatLife is an awesome company, and a sweet deal for golf. We're pretty lucky to have it.

I really miss playing Edgewood, which was where I played the majority of my golf up there. Later on, I lived way far out on the west edge of West Fargo, and then was a member at Maple River for two years.

I think he did go to NDSU. I don't know if he owned the building or not. Jeff Olson took over once Matt left. I think Jeff was an assistant pro at Village Green in Moorhead years ago. Edgewood is great, although I haven't played there in a few years. I typically stick to the Moorhead courses. I think when we had all of those floods, Edgewood took a beating and had to do some flood mitigation over the next few years afterwards. I avoided it during that time and just kind of forgot all forcing myself to get out there. I try to get out to Maple River a few times a year yet.

Yeah, flooding was always a big downer at Edgewood. It seemed like every year (prior to them building up the dike and re-routing some holes) at least a couple of holes were closed and took damage. I can't recall if it was 2009 but I remember driving up there one time and you couldn't see much of the entire course, just trees sticking up through water. I always paid for the "all courses" city pass so played more rounds at Rose Creek early in the season when that happened.

I played Village and Meadows a number of times as well, always enjoyed both of those courses too!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My wife informed me I needed to keep my left arm straight...which she failed to mention in the last 5 years we've been playing.

Dropped almost 15 strokes so far per game.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Hit the range fort the first time today. There first few shots were awkward to say the least. After working through some easy wedges, I moved to my irons. I got my first set of blades in the off season. I was hitting them pretty well. For a while, I felt like I was able to steer them at whatever target I wanted.

Things were going great. But, then I felt a burning sensation in my abs in the middle of one my swings. Pretty sure I pulled something. Right now as I type this, I can't even do a sit up. After this crappy spring, I fear my season really won't be starting for a while longer, and I haven't even played 1 hole yet.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

It's gonna be a good year!!!!

What are you guys thinking?

Absolutely!

Just not for my golf game. :D

I am committed to playing a bit more this year (two rounds in the books in 2017...........) and I hit the ball beautifully at the range today, but too many other priorities for a lot of golf this year.

I do miss it -- but my kids are young and my job is tough. Golf will be there later. I hope.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Excited for this season as this is the first season I will start with a golf sim at home. I'll finally get to see if it was worth the investment. On the other hand, I am recovering from an elbow injury and I am afraid it will affect my play. Courses opened today here and tomorrow I get the chance to play my 1st 18 holes for 2018.

Ball striking much better than last year but short game is mediocre at best. Course condition is way behind and lots of bare or muddy lies and greens are the worst in years. Partly down to snow and frost hindering the green staff and partly the course being open despite standing water, allowing the less considerate to chew the place up.

Comp this aft, thankfully a Stableford but rain and thunder forecast and it looks grim outside. Waterproofs and sunglasses as per usual...

Spent the off season working on my own physical wellbeing for a number of reasons and having lost of bunch of weight it's been a bit of a struggle to find what the new golf swing is going to feel like when I'm no longer swinging around a gut. Because of weather there's been very little time to practice on grass and as a result, when there is a chance to get out I have just played. It's gotten frustrating enough (see, terrible) that I'm just going to go and practice as much as I can without playing now that the weather has started to cooperate again. Already blocked off some time on my calendar to hit the range a couple times before Men's Day this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Game of Groans, season 25, episode 1

Summer is Coming… as conflict erupts in the Castle, an ancient enemy rises once again…

Lord 8 of House Contrarian inspects his shabby store of weapons - relics retrieved from ancient battles where they were abandoned by the defeated - and wonders if they can be relied on in his quest to slay the 18 Faces of Par. It is said only sweet forgings from the Iron Island can defeat the onslaught of Bogies that Par will set against him but the Mother of Dragons has barred their import.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Game of Groans, season 25, episode 1

Summer is Coming… as conflict erupts in the Castle, an ancient enemy rises once again…

Lord 8 of House Contrarian inspects his shabby store of weapons - relics retrieved from ancient battles where they were abandoned by the defeated - and wonders if they can be relied on in his quest to slay the 18 Faces of Par. It is said only sweet forgings from the Iron Island can defeat the onslaught of Bogies that Par will set against him but the Mother of Dragons has barred their import.

Valar MorGOLFus.

My season is pretty much year round out here in California, but 2018 has been up and down so far. A few rounds in the mid 70s and I shot my second best round ever at 74. I decided to lose some weight this year and I’ve almost met my goal, but for the last two months since I started dropping weight I’ve been playing awful golf. My last few rounds have all been in the mid 80s and I’m usually 4+ over par by the time I’m mid way through the opening nine. I usually string a couple pars together and then stumble to the finish line. Last round I played I was +6 on my last 3 holes and +8 over my last 5.

my ball striking has been awful this season, and when I score well it’s almost entirely due to chipping and putting. Hopefully I can adjust to my new body soon because my scores are starting to piss me off.

My season is pretty much year round out here in California, but 2018 has been up and down so far. A few rounds in the mid 70s and I shot my second best round ever at 74. I decided to lose some weight this year and I’ve almost met my goal, but for the last two months since I started dropping weight I’ve been playing awful golf. My last few rounds have all been in the mid 80s and I’m usually 4+ over par by the time I’m mid way through the opening nine. I usually string a couple pars together and then stumble to the finish line. Last round I played I was +6 on my last 3 holes and +8 over my last 5.

my ball striking has been awful this season, and when I score well it’s almost entirely due to chipping and putting. Hopefully I can adjust to my new body soon because my scores are starting to piss me off.

I lost 30 pounds last year. I too struggled for a bit. I thought it was my body. What I figured out, was that I wasn't eating enough. Having a caloric deficit is fine on a day that you aren't going anything. But, even though golf isn't necessarily strenuous, it still requires you to have energy and be alert.

Moral of the story, I was playing while our of energy. Did a better job of providing my body more fuel and things improved tremendously. Not saying you're in the same boat. I just know from my own experience, that is easy to eat too little once you've gotten onto dieting trying to hit that goal

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I lost 30 pounds last year. I too struggled for a bit. I thought it was my body. What I figured out, was that I wasn't eating enough. Having a caloric deficit is fine on a day that you aren't going anything. But, even though golf isn't necessarily strenuous, it still requires you to have energy and be alert.

Moral of the story, I was playing while our of energy. Did a better job of providing my body more fuel and things improved tremendously. Not saying you're in the same boat. I just know from my own experience, that is easy to eat too little once you've gotten onto dieting trying to hit that goal

That’s something I haven’t considered. I’ll have to try and fuel up before and during my round on Saturday to see if that improves things.

Season finally started May 5th and hadn't swung a club since October 31. 5 rounds down and striping the ball. Short game slowly coming around. Course wintered better then most and starting/opening later even with an ice storm the second week of April may have been a blessing in disguise. Trees starting to bloom......

I actually have worked out for a few months now to start the season. Which has helped me keep going through the round. I don't think I am any longer.

Hit the range a few times and demoed a lot of new clubs. Bought a G400 max, JPX 900 forged/tour split irons, and a Cleveland Huntington Beach putter.

Shot a 92 in Florida with borrowed clubs, 78 with an 8 on one hole back home with my new sticks. Looking forward to more of that this season.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Working on sharpening up fundamentals this season. Simple things like consistent ball position and proper alignment. Season has been pretty good thus far. Struggled a bit with my mid-short iron play though, not hitting enough GIR with shorter clubs needs to improve. My scores haven't been affected by it much but good putting has masked the issue. Long game and off the tee is still easily the strength of my game.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Tough start to the season so far. Cap has gone from a 15 to 15.6, so far. That doesn't reflect that I am probably plus 8-12 strokes from where I finished last season. My tempo is the main culprit and I am working to slow down. I took a refresher lesson this past Sunday and I will play my first round with the tweaks tomorrow. My last 20 rounds last season (including 8 rounds after posting season), I was an 11.2. This start is killing me.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]