How are you starting your season?

MtlJeff

Shot an 88 first 18 holes I played. Short game was great. Drives weren't going anywhere. At least 50 yards shorter than I'm used to and was playing a very long course. Played some par 4s like par 5s. Half my iron shots I pulled left. The ones that were straight were at the pin. My first par 3 of the round I thought I had a hole-in-one. Nine iron hit inches from the hole and stopped for a tap in birdie.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had a winter storm. High of 16 today. More snow and sub freezing temps in the forecast. This could possibly be the most depressing spring on record for me. Looking like end of April before courses open. That's assuming we don't get anymore snow then what is expected. We have been below our average temp almost every day the last couple months.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Still waiting for start here (most likely will not be able to get on the course till the end of the month).

For the first time in a long time, I am feeling pretty good. Made the decision to really commit myself to playing a lot more this season and get the cap down to about a 12.

Been in the simulator all winter and feel comfortable with the swing and i have had a couple of lessons as well. 2 out of the 5 Gym sessions of the week were solely dedicated to Golf Workouts.

i am primed, pumped and ready to go! Wish me luck!

Still waiting for start here (most likely will not be able to get on the course till the end of the month).

For the first time in a long time, I am feeling pretty good. Made the decision to really commit myself to playing a lot more this season and get the cap down to about a 12.

Been in the simulator all winter and feel comfortable with the swing and i have had a couple of lessons as well. 2 out of the 5 Gym sessions of the week were solely dedicated to Golf Workouts.

i am primed, pumped and ready to go! Wish me luck!

Good luck! It's a good feeling to put in the time to improve and actually see results.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

My partner and I just finished T-6 in the inaugural tournament of the year in Southern California: The SCGA Foursomes (alternate shot). 75, 71. Winners shot 142. Had a blast.

Game is very inconsistent, though. New job with a long commute means I have almost no time to play/practice during the week, and I'm tired all the time. Oh well....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

My handicap is 11.7, and has hovered between 11.5 and 12 for about a year now. Last week, a 3-stage swing rebuild finally came together after I tweaked my iron lofts, and I'm striking the ball better than ever right now.

My goal is to get to single digits this year. I have enough length (252yd driver carry, 154 yd 8 iron carry), and my short game improved considerably with a philosophy change (ALWAYS take the lowest-lofted option).

My scores have bounced around, but I shot my handicap on a very difficult par 3 course last weekend and that is very promising to me (could have saved 3-4 strokes with better course management).

So if I can keep these new full swing feelings going and keep improving my chipping, I should be able to get down to single digits.

Weather is terrible. Played a few times but always 40* and 15 mph wind. Shooting some decent scores but we were playing preferred lies, played it down yesterday and around the greens is a bit ridiculous. Cash scramble Sunday, it’s supposed to be 26 at the advertised starting time. First team play match is on the 21st, at least I’ve been hitting balls over the winter and will hopefully have an edge for the first few weeks.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Weather is terrible. Played a few times but always 40* and 15 mph wind. Shooting some decent scores but we were playing preferred lies, played it down yesterday and around the greens is a bit ridiculous.

I've been playing preferred lies as well... I'm stuck with playing municipal courses for the time being and the grass is just way too rough to play it down. There will be dormant grass with random patches of green grass. It makes it almost impossible to chip around the greens.

Weather is terrible. Played a few times but always 40* and 15 mph wind. Shooting some decent scores but we were playing preferred lies, played it down yesterday and around the greens is a bit ridiculous. Cash scramble Sunday, it’s supposed to be 26 at the advertised starting time. First team play match is on the 21st, at least I’ve been hitting balls over the winter and will hopefully have an edge for the first few weeks.

Man, I just looked at the extended forecast, and I might just stay in SoCal.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Still waiting. Another 12-14 inches of snow for Friday. Looks like I'll start the season by game planning where I'm going to move before 2019.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Here in Alberta, it's looking like a June start :russian_roulette:

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Looks like the temp. will be in the mid 60's here on Long Island on Friday & Saturday. I'll be playing hooky from work on Friday to take advantage of the nice weather and playing both days. Feeling good about this upcoming season & my game. Looking to shoot in the 70's more often and break par a few times. But I'd really like to break 80 on Bethpage Black this year.

TITLEIST!...

Yeah, Southern Alberta is really behind this year. I think I played my first round last year on March 24, and from what the course is telling us, this year will be 4 weeks later than that. That has to hurt the course's bottom line.

Mad Bomber, you'll definitely be into May over there. I was in the city last week and couldn't believe how much more snow you have!

I'm 18 rounds into my season and I've been able to wear short sleeves twice. Chicago's weather absolutely stinks. It's gonna be 71 tomorrow when I'm at work but it'll be 41 with a chance of snow on Sunday. That's been a nice microcosm of my season so far. However, with cold temps comes wide open courses, Spring rates, and the ability to play courses that usually make carts mandatory. I'm a walker so having a cart forced on me is a deal breaker. I'm a little above my usual handicap in the mid 2s and am sitting at around 3.5, but that's right around where I was at this time last year. I feel a lot more confident around the greens. Wedges were always a strength but now I know if I don't hit the green I can still get up and down.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

It is getting colder again. Course has had the greens cored and dressed and drainage work that was delayed because of snow and rain now meaning some holes are closed. On a playing front ball striking is better, injury free thanks to a new sports masseur and looking for ward to trying a new driver and some putters.

We are about a month into our score posting "season" here, I have shaved 4 strokes off my handicap ( 16 to a 12) and am encouraged that my pitching and chipping is getting much better. I hope to get into single digits this year, thats my goal anyway. Last year I got derailed by a wrist injury in late summer that just would not heal, so I hope a winters worth of arm and wrist strengthening exercise pays off. It has been very wet lately after a dryer than usual winter, I wish the sun would come back out. Tired of being cold and playing bundled up and in rain gear all the time, cheers gents !

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

I am starting with 2 fractured ribs... so, I am NOT starting yet. Gonna be several weeks I think.

But, I was actually able to play every week during the winter months here in OK. So, there's that.

I was so looking forward to hitting off of green grass. The dead winter grass makes things MUCH harder!

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

I'm feeling really good so far. Finally settled in my equipment (did my first fitting), been able to practice putting a LOT this winter, and I'll have some time this summer away from work to enjoy the course. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

After a few winter practice rounds trying to implement some swing changes I’ve been working on, I’ve been consistently shooting in the mid to high 80’s to start the year. I’m thrilled, seeing as for the most part since getting the hang of the game I tended to succumb to big numbers multiple times a round, making shooting lower than the 90’s exceedingly difficult. My game is finally catching up to my wardrobe and my hoing (thanks BST) and I couldn’t be happier! Looking forward to continuing to improve this year and for many years to come I hope.

My partner and I just finished T-6 in the inaugural tournament of the year in Southern California: The SCGA Foursomes (alternate shot). 75, 71. Winners shot 142. Had a blast.

Game is very inconsistent, though. New job with a long commute means I have almost no time to play/practice during the week, and I'm tired all the time. Oh well....

75-71 AS is damn fine shootin'! Congrats. the two of you should go and play AS at Augusta. Could probably break 85! :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The course opens tomorrow. I am really looking forward to the new golf year. The only club leftover from last year is my putter. Tomorrow will be my first round with the new clubs. Haven't played since November. I will be going with the following:

Bridgestone J715 B3 10.5

Exotics CB Pro F2 15.5

Exotics CB ProU 19

Taylormade P750 with PX5.5 4-PW

Taylormade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 (all bent 1 strong)

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11