Webb Simmson's putting stroke

disco111

I wish people would stop drawing attention to the armlock method. I've got some skin in this game and will be about 4 strokes worse per round if this gets banned.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As of April, 2017 the method used by Webb Simpson is completely within the Rules. Maybe not tomorrow or next month or next year but it is allowed at this moment, no problem.

​Thanks for the reply and clarification.........but now IMO, this brings up yet another "what's up with this ruling". If the so-called anchor ban was established because it allowed players to take the wrists out of the stroke, there by removing the "twitch factor" many have eluded to, then this form of putting falls into the same category. I'm just wonder if the powers that be are slowly coming to the conclusion, that they made a major fopar and are in the slow process of possibly reversing that anchor ban entirely. In essence, it looks as though they have....

uh not sure how you are getting there. But I am sure I disagree with your conclusion. As for Webb...it won't matter much longer, he has about 17 months of big time tour golf left.

uh not sure how you are getting there.....................It's called an observation and an objective assessment of a potential reversal of judgement - now in layman's terms, an opinion....

But I am sure I disagree with your conclusion.........It's good to be sure about anything in this day and age,,,,,Glad I could be of assistance.

As for Webb...it own't matter much longer, he has about 17 months of bit time tour golf left............Can't agree or disagree, not sure about "bit time tour golf", I'm checking - :telephone:

uh not sure how you are getting there.....................It's called an observation and an objective assessment of a potential reversal of judgement - now in layman's terms, an opinion....

But I am sure I disagree with your conclusion.........It's good to be sure about anything in this day and age,,,,,Glad I could be of assistance.

As for Webb...it own't matter much longer, he has about 17 months of bit time tour golf left............Can't agree or disagree, not sure about "bit time tour golf", I'm checking - :telephone:

your pink is showing.....

I missed something, I think. Why does Webb have 17 months left?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

If I had to guess, it's the amount of time he has left with exempt status.

Got ya, wonder if the guy that posted that knows Webb is 36th on the FedEx cup list?

Got ya, wonder if the guy that posted that knows Webb is 36th on the FedEx cup list?

In all fairness to the guy, he probably doesn't even remember posting that. Sounds like an intoxicated rant to me.

Webb's a heck of a player. He also makes me nervous watching him because he's on constant watch for hitting a shank. He's unlike any Tour pro I've ever seen. An incredible player who regularly hits a lateral.

Sigh...

Anchoring: putting the button end of the club against your body so that is the pivot point of the club/stroke. In other words, the butt end of the stroke does not move through space.

Bracing the grip against the forearm is not anchoring since the butt end of the club is not the pivot point of the stoke. In other words, the butt end of the club is not in the same position at the end of the stroke as it was at the beginning. The pivot point of this stroke is somewhere around the shoulders like a traditional putting stroke.

Webb is not anchoring.

Webb Simpson is still comfortably earning enough money to stay in the top 100 of the money rankings, however, it is clear that since they banned anchoring he hasn't been as competitive week in week out.

His worst finish in the last seven years is 78th on the FedEx list. Sorry guys he's not going away.

In all fairness to the guy, he probably doesn't even remember posting that. Sounds like an intoxicated rant to me.

Webb's a heck of a player. He also makes me nervous watching him because he's on constant watch for hitting a shank. He's unlike any Tour pro I've ever seen. An incredible player who regularly hits a lateral.

Guess what? The great Byron Nelson used to hit the occasional lateral.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

When the sweet spot is a centimeter away from the hosel, like blades were in the 30's and 40's, laterals were the cost of doing business.

Sigh...

Anchoring: putting the button end of the club against your body so that is the pivot point of the club/stroke. In other words, the butt end of the stroke does not move through space.

Bracing the grip against the forearm is not anchoring since the butt end of the club is not the pivot point of the stoke. In other words, the butt end of the club is not in the same position at the end of the stroke as it was at the beginning. The pivot point of this stroke is somewhere around the shoulders like a traditional putting stroke.

Webb is not anchoring.

Exactly. Not sure why this concept is difficult to understand.

I am just surprised that all of you that think it makes putting "fool proof" don't go ahead and do it. Had a friend doing it with an extended putter on the practice green yesterday so I went over and tried it. Most ungainly awkward feeling ever on a course.

I'm the same way with something like a ultra-high-MOI, heavy-head, counterbalanced mallet with an oversized grip. I literally could not miss a 2-1/2 footer if I tried with that sort of setup. But no touch at all from 20+ feet on greens with some speed and contour to them. It's a tradeoff that wouldn't possibly make sense unless I were out there missing several near tap-ins per round with my conventional putter.

Legit question... and maybe you have answered it before. If you had an extra spot in the bag... would you ever consider two putters?

I am just surprised that all of you that think it makes putting "fool proof" don't go ahead and do it. Had a friend doing it with an extended putter on the practice green yesterday so I went over and tried it. Most ungainly awkward feeling ever on a course.

I'm the same way with something like a ultra-high-MOI, heavy-head, counterbalanced mallet with an oversized grip. I literally could not miss a 2-1/2 footer if I tried with that sort of setup. But no touch at all from 20+ feet on greens with some speed and contour to them. It's a tradeoff that wouldn't possibly make sense unless I were out there missing several near tap-ins per round with my conventional putter.

Legit question... and maybe you have answered it before. If you had an extra spot in the bag... would you ever consider two putters?

If that was truly the case why look for an extra spot? Take something out and carry the two putters. No one in wrx really needs a driver anyways. The three wood already is too long for most dogleg holes.

My worry would be that before long I'd start waffling over where to draw the line. Maybe I really liked the big counterbalanced one from 3 feet and really liked the little one from 10 feet but then the first time I missed a 4-footer I'd be thinking "oops, should have used the other one", stuff like that.

My worry would be that before long I'd start waffling over where to draw the line. Maybe I really liked the big counterbalanced one from 3 feet and really liked the little one from 10 feet but then the first time I missed a 4-footer I'd be thinking "oops, should have used the other one", stuff like that.

I guess it depends how often you miss the 2 1/2 footers with the little guy :)

Is it just me or does it seem strange and kind of sad that so many golfers Ollie's age (23 is it?) are already going through all sort of contortions to stave off incipient yips?

I hear ya. but i teach alot of juniors and alot of them do left hand low at 13-14 its insane. they mimic what they see work on tv so by 23 nothing is off the table but I agree why not continue to groove the stroke that got you there so it responds better to pressure situations?

I'm not a teacher, but I do have an opinion. Putting is 90% (if not more) confidence. Why not teach the "yip proof" (if such a thing exists) set up from the start. The more putts a young person sinks, the more confidence he/she builds. Why start with one stroke until it fails under pressure a few times , and THEN start messing around?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Sigh...

Webb is not anchoring.

Exactly. Not sure why this concept is difficult to understand.

It's pretty murky, if indeed this is the definition. As I recall, when Adam Scott was using the long putter, he rocked his shoulders in his stroke, hence the butt of the putter shaft, while "anchored" to his torso, did move, because his anchor point was moving as he rocked his shoulders.

[media=]

[/media]

here's the actual rule from the book....says nothing about whether the butt "moves through space"

Note 1: The club is anchored "directly" when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

to the OP's original point: I think it's a valid question, since the USGA and the R&A have demonstrated clearly an eagerness to keep "the yips" a fundamental part of the game, there is little reason to believe they won't continue to make rules prohibiting any development of putting styles that are effective in taking the yip out of the stroke.

Clearly, the fact that they have not ruled against a technique that has been in use, and effective, for decades, is no guarantee they won't decide, over a few scones and some tea, that it just isn't a proper stroke.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Is it just me or does it seem strange and kind of sad that so many golfers Ollie's age (23 is it?) are already going through all sort of contortions to stave off incipient yips?

I hear ya. but i teach alot of juniors and alot of them do left hand low at 13-14 its insane. they mimic what they see work on tv so by 23 nothing is off the table but I agree why not continue to groove the stroke that got you there so it responds better to pressure situations?

I'm not a teacher, but I do have an opinion. Putting is 90% (if not more) confidence. Why not teach the "yip proof" (if such a thing exists) set up from the start. The more putts a young person sinks, the more confidence he/she builds. Why start with one stroke until it fails under pressure a few times , and THEN start messing around?

People putt average for three reasons

1) cannot control speed

2) cannot read break

3) cannot match up face and path

When you combine two of these, this when people start putting bad and then eventually they will fall to the remaining issues and have the full blown yips.

Most golfers cannot read break, don't understand how to control speed and have bad face control.

When don't anything right to begin with, what are you suppose to be confident about.

This why I say its almost impossible for someone above an 8 handicap to have a good mental game. There is nothing they are average at in their game so what is there to build confidence on

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

When you get a bunch of people together and give them virtually unlimited resources and authority to make rules you can hardly be surprised that they constantly make rules. If necessary they'll make new rules to supersede rules they made previously. It's what they do.

All golf rules are purely arbitrary. There's no reason the ball a certain size and not 1/4" larger or smaller. There's no reason certain drops are under a penalty and others are free. Someone has to just pick a set of rules and put them out there on their own authority.

So looking for inconsistencies in how the rules-makers 100 years ago or 25 years ago conflict with those today is a mug's game. They aren't going to be consistent, it's all made up anyway.

People putt average for three reasons

1) cannot control speed

2) cannot read break

3) cannot match up face and path

When you combine two of these, this when people start putting bad and then eventually they will fall to the remaining issues and have the full blown yips.

Most golfers cannot read break, don't understand how to control speed and have bad face control.

When don't anything right to begin with, what are you suppose to be confident about.

This why I say its almost impossible for someone above an 8 handicap to have a good mental game. There is nothing they are average at in their game so what is there to build confidence on

I wouldn't argue against any single point you make.

I would say the #1 fundamental of good putting (and good chipping) is to make a consistent solid contact with the ball. If you can't do that, reading greens and learning the speed are impossible because the ball is inconsistent coming off the face.

So my point is to the person who thinks learning a solid "left-hand low" is a mistake for the young golfer. It's a great way to make solid contact. In fact, my only argument against a forearm braced stroke would be that you can't trust the governing bodies to not rule against it down the road.

FORE RIGHT!!!!