2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Shovel for long term play?/ Old guy style

Figured it's better asked here than the equipment section! What would you guys recommend for a 12 capper who is away from the game a month due to working offshore. I'm looking for something super easy to hit, although I love my 17s, I'm going all in on a long term set tha is super forgiving, graphite shafts. Old or new , doesn't matter. Open to suggestions here, fire away!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough to anser. Each has their own set of preferences to how a set of irons feels and plays in their hands. But since you asked. I would suggest the Ping G series starting with the G25's and moving forward from there. Never have played them (use i20's), but have auditioned on more than several occasions, found them a better than most set of GI irons. I suppose the Karsten irons are the one's in the SGI category, but the soles on those are outrageously large.

G25, G30, or the newest G model. Depending on your budget and how they swing for you.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Callys fit the "stupid easy" criterion pretty well. What keeps me away from them is that they're a bit of a pain to work on. Hard to bend, hard to reshaft. Nice clubs, but not ones to support the hobbyist wrencher. Pings much better in that respect - and I would think just about anything they've made at least since the Eye 2 will work well if it fits your eye. Think I'm past spending much money on clubs, but if I was going to spoil myself I'd probably buy some copper Eye 2s.

Tough to anser. Each has their own set of preferences to how a set of irons feels and plays in their hands. But since you asked. I would suggest the Ping G series starting with the G25's and moving forward from there. Never have played them (use i20's), but have auditioned on more than several occasions, found them a better than most set of GI irons. I suppose the Karsten irons are the one's in the SGI category, but the soles on those are outrageously large.

G25, G30, or the newest G model. Depending on your budget and how they swing for you.

I have the G10's and they are less expensive and easy to hit. I can play a reasonable round with them even on one of my "bad days."

I also agree that if you want something more classic but still easy to hit to go with the older Ping lines with Eye 2 and Zing being the easiest.

I don't think you're asking for blade recommendations but if you are I have never had anything easier to play than my 85 Mizuno Cimarrons. They are more demanding than the Pings but not by much.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I'd be more than a little leery about the new stuff. Coming from a set of blades they're going to be awfully clunky! I'd be inclined to point you more towards a player's cavity back than a stupid easy to hit shovel with boatloads of off-set. For me that would be along the lines of an Adams A-4, TM Burner 2.0 or Cobra SZ. I have good memories of those from the days when I was chasing performance.

I've been down the Ping highway. They don't work for everyone. It's kind of a love/hate relationship due to their light weight and copious amounts of bounce. That said, nothing looks cooler in a bag than a set of BeCu Pings, either Eye 2, Zing or ISI!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I bought a set of Callaway X-12's back around 2008 or so. Very good clubs, but too big and chunky. I got to the point I couldn't stand to look at them, and sold them to a happy buyer when I got a set 09 x-forged. Best set of irons I've ever played.

Just for the fun of it, a month ago, I bought a set of Tommy Armour 845's. They date from around 1988, so I consider them "modern." Been playing them since, very good clubs. Not chunky in my opinion, just the right size. Back then, I guess, clubs were made to pretty much play like blades with a bit more forgiveness.

Can't go wrong with the Tommy's, and they're cheap.

ping raptures

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Thanks for all the replies. I do indeed like the Eye 2s . Know where I can get a set dirt cheap. For anyone who's suggested the Eye 2s, do you bag them still? Would you mix them with hybrids, and if so in what fashion would you do this or leave it an all iron set.

I currently have Eye2+ 2-SW in my bag with a BeCu ISI LW and a Ping eye 2 1 iron. I typically don't care about the 14 club rule, especially when I'm deciding on a lineup for my bag. I'm considering putting my I15 20* hybrid in and dropping the 1 and 2. Honestly, I haven't had these irons on the course yet but I've played several rounds with a set of Eye 2s that I sold. I couldn't stand not having a set of Eye 2s around so I just picked up this set last week.

I've found my local CL to be a good place to find deals on old Pings.

Another vote for TA 845s. I know Eye 2s are everyone's choice for most iconic iron of all time (and they do work) but they are also pretty extreme in design and look. The offset, the shaft, etc. I have played 845s on and off for years and I think you could argue that they might be the best all around iron ever made. The look isn't off putting, they are fairly forgiving, yet you can work the ball and hit all kinds of short game shots with them. They have won 20 something tour events, and yet work just fine for the average hack. They also have v grooves. The cherry on top is they are stupid cheap. You could find a nice set on the bay for 40 bucks.

That's a pretty compelling package for your consideration.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I would stick to your FG 17s ... I doubt you'll score any better switching to a game improvement iron. Highly doubt that you will enjoy it more as well :)

If you really want to go to a modern cavity back then the Titleist AP2s are what I would play, though I'd leave graphite shafts well alone personally ... know a few people that switched to graphite, and they all switched back to steel in next to no time.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I would stick to your FG 17s ... I doubt you'll score any better switching to a game improvement iron. Highly doubt that you will enjoy it more as well :)

If you really want to go to a modern cavity back then the Titleist AP2s are what I would play, though I'd leave graphite shafts well alone personally ... know a few people that switched to graphite, and they all switched back to steel in next to no time.

Thanks. My neighbor who I frequently tee it up with says I play the 17s as well as ANYTHING he's ever seen me golfing with. Weird how they just work, hard to explain. Thanks for replying!

I bought a set of Callaway X-12's back around 2008 or so. Very good clubs, but too big and chunky. I got to the point I couldn't stand to look at them, and sold them to a happy buyer when I got a set 09 x-forged. Best set of irons I've ever played.

Just for the fun of it, a month ago, I bought a set of Tommy Armour 845's. They date from around 1988, so I consider them "modern." Been playing them since, very good clubs. Not chunky in my opinion, just the right size. Back then, I guess, clubs were made to pretty much play like blades with a bit more forgiveness.

Can't go wrong with the Tommy's, and they're cheap.

Those 09 X forged were great clubs and they still command a pretty good price used. I have been playing a set of 13 X forged close to a year now and love them. They have to be one of my top favorites of all time behind Mac VIPs and Mizuno MP-33s

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Agree with the first paragraph, but for a CB, I would instead suggest a set of Eye2 or Eye2+. They are the only CB irons I've found that allow me to score the same as I do with my Golden Rams.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I decided to make a move similar to the one the OP is contemplating, though mine was prompted by an arthritic right wrist. After perusing the bay for a while, I went with a well used set of Adams A7, a set which integrates 3 and 4 hybrids, a slightly longer, hollow 5 iron transition club and conventional 6i-pw. The UST/Mamiya Proforce 85 (Axivcore black in the hybrids) shafts are a bit heavier than one typically sees in GI clubs at 85 grams and aren't the soft, torquey noodles often seen in this segment. I actually went down to regular flex based on my experience a couple of years ago with an A7 17* 2 hybrid in stiff that I liked quite a bit, but was just too much club. While the backs of the irons are a bit busy, they aren't huge, the offset is moderate, and top lines and soles are actually pretty thin for GI irons. Initial impressions based on one range session and one round are positive thus far as they look clean at address and hit very solidly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-RH-Adams-Idea-A7-Hybrid-Iron-Set-3-PW-Proforce-Graphite-Shaft-Regular-Flex-/222490426809?hash=item33cd767db9:g:OwEAAOSwhvFZAhYN

s-l64.jpg

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

OP, have you bought anything yet?

I still game my Eye2s at my lake house, and they are still very playable irons. That being said, they are not the most point and shoot irons I've owned - those are Ping Zings. However, are you looking for only easy to hit, or are you needing something (like myself) a little more lightweight? As I age, I just can't get around with a DGS300 any more.

Also, are you a high torque swinger? If so, graphite shafts will deliver an awesome combination of low feel and wide shot dispersion.

As to the hybrid question, this will depend on the set. For example, a set of Eye 2 has a very playable 3i. As we move more modern, the lofts are jacked, meaning a 3 or 4 h might be a good idea.

If you go modern, there are endless sets of nice playable clubs available. As mentioned above Cleveland (usually undervalued), Adams (also undervalued), and Cobra (yes undervalued) have been making nice irons with a variety of shaft options.

if you want vintage, it gets a bit tougher finding the head/shaft combo you want.

Though if you love your FG-17s, why not stay with them?

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I still game my Eye2s at my lake house, and they are still very playable irons. That being said, they are not the most point and shoot irons I've owned - those are Ping Zings. However, are you looking for only easy to hit, or are you needing something (like myself) a little more lightweight? As I age, I just can't get around with a DGS300 any more.

Also, are you a high torque swinger? If so, graphite shafts will deliver an awesome combination of low feel and wide shot dispersion.

As to the hybrid question, this will depend on the set. For example, a set of Eye 2 has a very playable 3i. As we move more modern, the lofts are jacked, meaning a 3 or 4 h might be a good idea.

If you go modern, there are endless sets of nice playable clubs available. As mentioned above Cleveland (usually undervalued), Adams (also undervalued), and Cobra (yes undervalued) have been making nice irons with a variety of shaft options.

if you want vintage, it gets a bit tougher finding the head/shaft combo you want.

The highlighted line deserves repeating. If you go with a typical SGI club with an OTR graphite shaft you might just find that you're spraying the ball all over creation with no hint as to what is going wrong.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

No purchase YET! Played a round with Copper Eye2s, stiff shaft but no label so not sure which shaft, and really like the short irons and wedges. Usually a 7 iron is longest approach I'll have, have a par 3 at one course that's 190-200 and one that's usually 200-205 but can get to 215. Done some chipping this evening with an old SW from a set of '96 BBs., like the wedge. Gonna try a round in regular scat group in a.m. with '96 BBs. Time will tell I guess. Just can't settle on anything. Only OTR graphite that produced errant spraying was in the G25s.

Boggy,

I'm late to the party, too late to be deemed fashionable, but I just returned from a self imposed exile.

I was in your unique situation for the last 40 years. Didn't feel like I had my best game until the 3rd week back at the house. Lots you can do offshore to keep your body tuned up, not much to keep your swing in form.

Judging from the "month" at a time rotation I assume you're 3rd party. Unless things have changed I find it hard to believe any of the clients would go to a month schedule.

But, I digress, in to the topic at hand. If you're looking for older I have to go with the Pings. My personal preference is for the First generation Zings. Modern I think NOS Tour Edge can be had at a fraction of the cost of Bug name OEM and are just as good, if not better.

Being a Wilson man, I'll throw in " find yourself a set of the Fat Shaft" Deep Red Distance irons.

Don't give up on the fg17s. A possible re shaft might be in order.

• 1 month later...

Boggy,

I'm late to the party, too late to be deemed fashionable, but I just returned from a self imposed exile.

I was in your unique situation for the last 40 years. Didn't feel like I had my best game until the 3rd week back at the house. Lots you can do offshore to keep your body tuned up, not much to keep your swing in form.

Judging from the "month" at a time rotation I assume you're 3rd party. Unless things have changed I find it hard to believe any of the clients would go to a month schedule.

But, I digress, in to the topic at hand. If you're looking for older I have to go with the Pings. My personal preference is for the First generation Zings. Modern I think NOS Tour Edge can be had at a fraction of the cost of Bug name OEM and are just as good, if not better.

Being a Wilson man, I'll throw in " find yourself a set of the Fat Shaft" Deep Red Distance irons.

Don't give up on the fg17s. A possible re shaft might be in order.

Thanks. I'm on the Mississippi River on a towboat.