14. Cranberry Valley

15. Highfields

Have not played

- Taconic - but would expect it to be too 5 given reviews from people I know

- Highland Links

- Miacomet

- Olde Barnstable

- George Wright

To late now but one Cape course I really like and forgot to add is Quashney Valley...

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get out more! Not a mass native but have lived here for 20 years and haven't heard of many of these. As for the ones I can speak for, I'd argue that crosswinds and acushnet are just as good if not better then either of the pine hills courses.

I would have to disagree, especially comparing ARV to PH. ARV is a fun track, but the conditioning can be at times hit or miss. I've never seen a miss at either PH course. Plus, the layout at ARV doesn't have a great flow. Trees, trees, hills, trees, hills and trees, and some more hills and trees, and then... BAM links!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I need to get out more! Not a mass native but have lived here for 20 years and haven't heard of many of these. As for the ones I can speak for, I'd argue that crosswinds and acushnet are just as good if not better then either of the pine hills courses.

I would have to disagree, especially comparing ARV to PH. ARV is a fun track, but the conditioning can be at times hit or miss. I've never seen a miss at either PH course. Plus, the layout at ARV doesn't have a great flow. Trees, trees, hills, trees, hills and trees, and some more hills and trees, and then... BAM links!

--kC

fair. I'm cheap so I've only played pinehills off peak season, so conditioning hasn't been great, but that's the weather's fault not theres. As for ARV, I kind of like the change. Feels like playing two different courses, same deal at Butter brook.

Great idea! I will make a few suggestions for further cuts. First remove Balleymeade(The cape club), Bayberry Hills, Pembroke and Blissful Meadows. Those course while decent are just not of similar quality to the rest on the list.

Now it's starting to get tough'and I am sure my next suggestions will have plenty of push-back but here goes... I think Crosswinds is decent but just not in the same league as Pinehills and Waverly. Crosswinds seems to get good reviews but they always mention value and that it's much cheaper than Waverly.

If you need any more cuts after that then I would drop Porqouy Brook and Highfields. Both have more than their share of quirky holes

If you haven't played Bayberry Hills since they opened the white course last month, you wouldn't take it off of the list. They are half finished into an extensive renovation. All the green surrounds and green side bunkers will be reconstructed, as well as all new cart paths, renovated irrigation system, many fairway bunkers and tees are being rebuilt. Most of it was sodded to open in May. The front nine will close Nov. 1st to complete the work. It will be the best municipal course on the Cape.

Great idea! I will make a few suggestions for further cuts. First remove Balleymeade(The cape club), Bayberry Hills, Pembroke and Blissful Meadows. Those course while decent are just not of similar quality to the rest on the list.

Now it's starting to get tough'and I am sure my next suggestions will have plenty of push-back but here goes... I think Crosswinds is decent but just not in the same league as Pinehills and Waverly. Crosswinds seems to get good reviews but they always mention value and that it's much cheaper than Waverly.

If you need any more cuts after that then I would drop Porqouy Brook and Highfields. Both have more than their share of quirky holes

It will be the best municipal course on the Cape.

Is it, in 2017, one of the 20 best courses in MA?

Or will it only be next year?

I've played fewer on this final list than most, so maybe need to discount my perspective a bit. I rank this based on where I would be willing to part with my money to play

1. George Wright

2. Old Barnstable Fairgrounds

3. Pinehills (Jones)

4. Blackstone National

5. Red Tail

6. Shaker Hills

7. Waverly Oaks

8. Pinehills (Nicklaus)

9. Kettle Brook

Places that I have not played:

Acushnet River Valley

Butter Brook

Highfields

Miacomet

Highland Links

The Ranch

Wachusett

Taconic

Farm Neck

Crumpin Fox

Cranberry Valley

This is a bit off topic, but DW Fields in Brockton is in great shape. The superintendent has done a fantastic job cleaning up the course, from removing old fencing and some trees, to rebunkering a couple of holes, to putting together some great greens. And the price is right too: as a senior it costs me $25 to walk.

I think maybe a few too many cuts have been made? I mean, I agree Crosswinds would be ranked below Pinehills and Waverly, but not sure it should be completely removed. If you want a top 25, need to have at least 25 courses. :) And maybe a few more so people can make their choices.

My ranking of the courses I've played:

The Ranch

Crumpin Fox

Red Tail

Waverly Oaks

Pinehills (Jones)

Kettle Brook

Atlantic CC

Crosswinds

Highfields

Pinehills (Nicklaus)

Poquoy Brook

Butter Brook

Shaker Hills

Acushnet River Valley

Blackstone National

If you haven't played Bayberry Hills since they opened the white course last month, you wouldn't take it off of the list. They are half finished into an extensive renovation. All the green surrounds and green side bunkers will be reconstructed, as well as all new cart paths, renovated irrigation system, many fairway bunkers and tees are being rebuilt. Most of it was sodded to open in May. The front nine will close Nov. 1st to complete the work. It will be the best municipal course on the Cape.

I think BB is a very good layout and has been among the best on the cape for years. Glad to hear they are putting money back into the course. The 18th hole (par 5) is arguably the best muni finishing hole on the cape.

So when are we all getting together to play? Remember the New England Spring Fling from 3 years ago that never happened?? Let's play one in the top 5 after this list is said and done, and you all can give me shots!!

Tom

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Off topic a bit here as its outside of MA but yesterday I played Conneticut National in Putnam, CT. What a fantastic course in great shape. Greens were the best I have played all year public or private. If it was a few miles further north in MA it would, IMHO, whip the butt of every course on this list.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Off topic a bit here as its outside of MA but yesterday I played Conneticut National in Putnam, CT. What a fantastic course in great shape. Greens were the best I have played all year public or private. If it was a few miles further north in MA it would, IMHO, whip the butt of every course on this list.

I was going to mention CT National as well. A terrific golf course. One of the better ones in Southeastern NE.

Yeah, love that course. And they let me walk. And it's cheap.

Courses that allow you to walk (and are walkable) should get extra points on this list. Huge value IMHO

Courses that allow you to walk (and are walkable) should get extra points on this list. Huge value IMHO

It's not just jdl they let walk. Anyone can. :-)

It's not just jdl they let walk. Anyone can. :-)

LOL, and here I thought I was special. :)

Have played and personal top choices (alphabetical order)

Butter Brook

Cranberry Valley

Farm Neck

George Wright

Highfields

Pinehills Nicklaus

Pinehills Jones

Poquoy Brook

Need to play (no order)

Ledges

Allendale CC

Crestview CC

Taconic

Crumpin Fox

The Ranch

Waverly Oaks

Crosswinds

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

Have played and personal top choices (alphabetical order)

Cranberry Valley

Butter Brook

Farm Neck

George Wright

Highfields

Pinehills Nicklaus

Pinehills Jones

Poquoy Brook

You using a different alphabet than I am?

Oops I added one Cranberry Valley last second

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

Few courses to add that have not been mentioned... Norton CC, Foxboro CC and Green Hill GC in Worcester. Always in great shape and all three are good layouts IMO.

Any of those three certainly need to make it onto the list before Poquoy Brook, Maplegate or Acushnet River Valley. These three are real hit or miss with course condition, and lately have been all miss.

Also would advocate keeping Cyprian Keyes on the list. Agree that its tough, but I still would put it in my top 20.

This has been a fun thread - it didn't go exactly the way I intended, but I think we got to a good place. We have sort of a "consensus" group of maybe a dozen courses, and then some good discussion about who deserves to be in the next dozen or so. It opened my eyes to a few courses that I was totally unaware of, and will try to get out to.

Who's in for an outing in July? I'd propose George Wright as the venue because it is conveniently located in the Hub of the Universe, budget friendly, and an interesting course. I'm open to other courses if there is another preference.

This has been a fun thread - it didn't go exactly the way I intended, but I think we got to a good place. We have sort of a "consensus" group of maybe a dozen courses, and then some good discussion about who deserves to be in the next dozen or so. It opened my eyes to a few courses that I was totally unaware of, and will try to get out to.

Who's in for an outing in July? I'd propose George Wright as the venue because it is conveniently located in the Hub of the Universe, budget friendly, and an interesting course. I'm open to other courses if there is another preference.

I am mostly a lurker as I haven't played most of the courses mentioned in this thread... but I would love to meet some new folks and check out GW.

Any of those three certainly need to make it onto the list before Poquoy Brook, Maplegate or Acushnet River Valley. These three are real hit or miss with course condition, and lately have been all miss.

Wrong on ARV, it's usually in good shape. Or maybe I've just been lucky? Played there a few weeks ago and it was in the best shape I've ever seen it.

I agree with removing Maplegate (great layout, cheap owner that never updated anything), Stow and Sandy Burr. Courses like Poquoy Brook, Butternut, and Blissful are really nice courses in good shape but not some of the best, but well worth playing. Captains Port should remain on the list but Starboard should be striked. Anything by Ross of Silva should remain on the list. Not sure about The New England, probably not but decent course. Maybe add Foxboro although it's really private/ semi private now. Same goes for Blackstone Valley. Great list and now I can add some new courses to try too. Keep it going.