2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos Γ—

Greatest rock songs

CrabDaddy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire history of Rock & Roll is about taking certain styles of music and morphing them into something different. Very difficult to point to a particular artist or band and say they were revolutionary. Transformational.

Β 

Buddy Holly, considered to be one of the founding fathers morphed country and rockabilly.

Β 

R & B (Ray Charles et. al.) had a major influence on Elvis and so many others. Which was really just an extension the Blues.

Β 

The entire British Invasion was about recycling American Blues masters back to a new audience of teenagers.

Β 

Grunge morphed out of Punk which found its roots in 60's Garage Rock.

Β 

The entire California sound exemplified by the Beach Boys. But an extension of Surf Music by Dick Dale and The Ventures.

Β 

Bob Dylan was a seminal artist. But was it really R & R?

Β 

One can argue on about all of this. Much like some of us did BITD. Setting around in dorm rooms or elsewhere. Medicated.

Β 

But I offer a true original (as I didn't list 10 songs the first post). Consider that Rumble was originally recorded in 1958. But one can hear so much of what R & R was going to become in this song. The snarly, bada** attitude. Meant to be played loud, with all that distortion and feedback, to piss everyone off. Link got pedigree. Often cited as a influence by the best guitarists of the Rock era. The originator of the "Power Cord":

Β 

[media=]

[/media]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Gimme Shelter - The Stones

Black Magic Woman - Santana

Knocking on Heavens Door - GNR

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

Take It To The Limit - The Eagles

Pump It Up - Elvis Costello

Worlds Apart - Journey

Emenince Front - The Who

Have You Ever Seen The Rain - CCR

Tush - ZZ Top

Mama, I'm Coming Home - Ozzy

The Joker - Steve Miller Band

Titleist 8.5 degree TS3 w/ 65 Even Flow 6.5
Titleist 15 degree TS3 w/ 75 Even Flow 6.5Β 
Titleist 2 iron 718 T-MB w/ Project X PXi 6.5
Titleist 4 iron 718 T-MB w/ Modus 120X
Titleist 5-PW 718 CB's w/ Modus 120X
Titleist Vokey SM7 52, 56, 50 degree w/ Modus 120X
Odyssey O Works Black 2M CS w/ Stability EI-GJ-1.0 34 7/8 inchesΒ 

Boy, this is impossible! Too many.

Β 

Tiny sampling -

Β 

I Feel Fine, I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles, plus a dozen.

Hi,Hi,Hi - McCartney

Somethin' Else! - Eddie Cochran

Little Sister, Too Much, Love Me - Elvis

Whole Lotta Love - Zeppelin

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

Eagles - your choice

Stevie Ray Vaughn - your choice

Lawyers, Guns and Money - Zevon

Tush, Tube Snake Boogie - ZZ Top

Bodhisattva - Steely Dan

Get Out Of Denver, Turn The Page - Seger

It Keeps You Running - Doobie Brothers

Shambala - Three Dog Night

Crazy On You - Heart

Foreplay/Long Time, Smokin' - Boston

Smokin' In The Boys Room - Brownsville Station

If You Want To Get To Heaven - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Long Cool Woman - The Hollies

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

Β 

I could go on for hours ...........

Immigrant Song/All of My Love - Led Zep

The Wall/Money - Pink Floyd

Master of Puppets/One - Metallica

Heart Shaped Box/Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Jeremy/Daughter - Pearl Jam

Hungry - Temple of the Dog

Anarchy in the UK - The Sex Pistols

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

Baba O'Riley - The Who

My Michelle/Crazy (acoustic version) - Guns N Roses

Have You Ever Seen the Rain/Proud Mary - CCR

I'm on Fire/Glory Days - Bruce

Barracuda - Heart

Seven Nation Army/Dead Leaves/We're Going to be Friends - The White Stripes

Linger - The Cranberries

Come Together/Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds/Hello,Goodbye - The Beatles

Mic Check - Rage Against the Machine

Creep - Radiohead

Little Lion Man - Mumford & Son

Β 

Just a few...

All great songs & groups. I'm in the "Rock is dead" camp. My son plays lead guitar, been playing since he was 7. I've struggled to find anything contemporary for him to learn. He's learned songs from many of the great 60/70 rock but focuses primarily on blues these days more universal and easy to string 3 minute improv sets. I tell him that keyboards and computers ruined rock and roll too easy for singers to make backtracks and music without a full band and pure singers just rocket to stardom while it takes bands years to make it anywhere. Sad that music has just evolved with technology and not in a good way.

Specific group

Β 

Deep Purple Highway Star.

Β 

The only band that matters btw :busted_cop: :stop: :taunt: :D

Β 

Maybe not the only band that matters lol

Highway Star Excellent choice sir.

Β 

" I seed her.."

CallawayΒ  Β  Β  Β  ParadymΒ  Hzrdus SilverΒ 

CallawayΒ Β  Β  Β  Β Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw'sΒ  Even Flow GreenΒ Β Β 
CallawayΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β Β X Hot 11 woodΒ  Project X PXv

TMΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  P790Β  Β 6-PWΒ  Recoil ESXΒ 

PINGΒ  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Glide 3.0Β  50, 56, 60Β  all SSΒ 

TMΒ  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Spider csΒ 

The ocean - led zep

Layla - slowhand

All right now - free

Old raincoat - rod Stewart

Thunder road - boss

Β 

Or anything by The Faces

Β 

All my favourite songs by rock bands are not really classed as rock songs. Beast of burden by the stones, this is the place by talking heads or wind cries mary by hendrix

Titleist 905R - 10.5Β°
Titleist 904f - 17Β°/22Β°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50Β°/54Β°/60Β°
Wilson Staff 8882

I think the decade you were born in will influence your contribution on this thread greatly. Some of us just don't see a classic made in an

earlier or later time period.

Rock could be dead or maybe just in hibernation.

Β 

Some already mentioned songs that get my vote as well are:

Β 

LA Woman

Black Magic Woman

Crazy on You

Photograph

London Calling

Highway Star

25 or 6 to 4

Born to Run

Baby O'Riley

Β 

I will toss these favorites of mine in the mix:

Β 

I Need A Lover - John Mellencamp

Hair of the Dog - Nazareth

Slow Ride - FogHat

Living After Midnight - Judas Priest

Never Been Any Reason - Head East

Flirting With Disaster - Molly Hatchet

Do It Again - Steely Dan

I Want To Be Sedated - Ramones

Go All The Way - Raspberries

It's The End Of The World - R.E.M.

Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith

Roundabout - YES

Β 

Signed,

A rock fan who was born in the 60's !

Enjoying the thread OP.

Rock has always been a guitar (and that includes bass) driven sound. And I don't care what anyone says, guitar is not present these days. Bonamassa, Satriani, Kenny Wayne, and even the great John Mayer are all lucky to play 500 seat venues these days. Maybe Clapton and Santana can fill a stadium, but let's also realize that all these guys are not 'modern'. Name me one great young guitar player today (who is popular). In most modern music I can't even recognize individual instruments anymore. The guitar has become an archaic instrument in modern music, used mainly to provide 'sound effects' and simplistic one-string repetitive phrases. Don't worry, the guitar will eventually be 'rediscovered'.

Β 

Anyway, I like most of the choices posted thus far, so here are some that fell through the cracks:

Β 

Kansas - Carry on your wayward son

Heart - Barracuda

Boston - Long time

Alice in Chains - Man in the box

STP - Highway song

Talking Heads - Psycho killer

Pretenders - The wait

Elvis Costello - Pump it up

Little Feat - Dixie chicken

Foo Fighters - My hero

Guns n Roses - Welcome to the jungle

Lou Reed - Sweet jane

David Bowie - Ziggy stardust

You lost all credibility and respect from me when you talked about the Beatles, you clearly don't know rock music bub. But rock is not dead, Kings of Leon is in my opinion the best rock band out there still making great music. Mumford and sons also took a much more rock approach to their 3rd album. There's lots of bands making good music, the genre has just evolved, and unfortunately our youth and teenagers grow up thinking that whatever catchy tune that comes on the radio 47 times a day is good music. When in fact it's complete trash with zero artistic value. The radio format is hurting rock and roll, Rap and hip hop and country poppy BS is all that is played. It kills me to turn on the radio and hear that hot barbage, but there's not much I think can be done

You lost all credibility and respect from me when you talked about the Beatles, you clearly don't know rock music bub. But rock is not dead, Kings of Leon is in my opinion the best rock band out there still making great music. Mumford and sons also took a much more rock approach to their 3rd album. There's lots of bands making good music, the genre has just evolved, and unfortunately our youth and teenagers grow up thinking that whatever catchy tune that comes on the radio 47 times a day is good music. When in fact it's complete trash with zero artistic value. The radio format is hurting rock and roll, Rap and hip hop and country poppy BS is all that is played. It kills me to turn on the radio and hear that hot barbage, but there's not much I think can be done

Β 

They make good music, but are the most boring band live out there.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUSΒ Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 -Β True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Β 

Β 

Who are you referring to? I've seen both KOL and Mumford and they are both amazing live!!

Β 

Β 

Who are you referring to? I've seen both KOL and Mumford and they are both amazing live!!

Β 

KOL is probably the most boring band live. They have zero stage presence and zero energy. I saw Iron Maiden a few weeks ago and there is a bad with crazy stage presence and energy!

What's a Mumford?

Β 

Mumford and Sons? They won album of the year for their second album "Babel" in 2013, pretty unprecedented given their genre of folksy rock. They're one of the biggest bands in the world, do you live under a rock?

Β 

No, not under a rock. But I don't have a 13 year old daughter or any trans offspring so I guess in today's world that is the equivalent. Sorry, never heard of Mumford and Sons but after looking them up I have concluded they are not a rock band.

Β 

Β 

KOL is probably the most boring band live. They have zero stage presence and zero energy. I saw Iron Maiden a few weeks ago and there is a bad with crazy stage presence and energy!

Β 

Sorry to disagree with you man, but I wholeheartedly do. I saw them in May, up close and personal right in front of the stage, and they have lots of energy, changed the entire set makeup two times. Caleb come out and did one song solo acoustic, then rest of the bad joined him for a couple more acoustic songs, then they reopened the stage backup to a much larger Stage setup, they must have been feeding off the crowds energy as everybody was singing every lyric. Also Cam Newton and a lot of the Carolina Panthers were beside me in the pit and Nathan (the drummer) came out with a Greg Olsen jersey (gregs favorite band, he was also there) and they were having an incredible time, the crowd also fed off of their energy. Every member of that band brings a ton of energy, Caleb just shows it in a different way because he's just an intellectually type and shows his emotions and energy differently than most.

Never understand why Tool doesn't get more mentions. I realize it's a sub genre and not really rock n roll, but bands from punk and grunge have been mentioned.

Β 

Tool outclasses any band of the last 25 years and it's not even particularly close in my opinion.

Β 

They've got a bunch of songs that are absolutely incredible in multiple facets but I think forty six and 2 is there best mix of lyrics, musical composition, instrumental talent, and intensity.

Kings of Leon is a good band, but if they are the apex of modern rock that says a lot. Tool is also a good band. How about Staind? Great songwriting and talent. But these bands are not really on the charts anymore. In fact I would not consider them as 'modern'. Sure Aaron Lewis can draw big at a festival and get $100 per ticket, but is this really the face of modern rock? This is middle age rock.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Sorry to disagree with you man, but I wholeheartedly do. I saw them in May, up close and personal right in front of the stage, and they have lots of energy, changed the entire set makeup two times. Caleb come out and did one song solo acoustic, then rest of the bad joined him for a couple more acoustic songs, then they reopened the stage backup to a much larger Stage setup, they must have been feeding off the crowds energy as everybody was singing every lyric. Also Cam Newton and a lot of the Carolina Panthers were beside me in the pit and Nathan (the drummer) came out with a Greg Olsen jersey (gregs favorite band, he was also there) and they were having an incredible time, the crowd also fed off of their energy. Every member of that band brings a ton of energy, Caleb just shows it in a different way because he's just an intellectually type and shows his emotions and energy differently than most.

Β 

Panthers fans!!! Sold!!! I saw them open up for Pearl Jam years ago and was not impressed. Love their music though! Was listening to them on the way home from work tonight. Might have to give them a second chance sense they are headliners. I'll typically give a certain bands two times to impress me. Next show is Guns N Roses! Can not wait!!

Kings of Leon is a good band, but if they are the apex of modern rock that says a lot. Tool is also a good band. How about Staind? Great songwriting and talent. But these bands are not really on the charts anymore. In fact I would not consider them as 'modern'. Sure Aaron Lewis can draw big at a festival and get $100 per ticket, but is this really the face of modern rock? This is middle age rock.

Another terrible band live. Godsmack and Halestorm kicked their a** live. Aaron Lewis had zero energy . Rest of the band was pretty awesome though.

Kings of Leon: first two albums are awesome. Everything else after that is pure gash. Commercial, Coldplay, boring gash.

Β 

And they are the most boring live band I've ever seen.

Titleist 905R - 10.5Β°
Titleist 904f - 17Β°/22Β°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50Β°/54Β°/60Β°
Wilson Staff 8882

86c4a43cacd70f7de1b560121f95b87f--classic-rock-bands-classic-rock-memes.jpg

I know these aren't songs but take your pick of the song from the band, they all have winners

Β 

Meatloaf

Motley crue

Whitesnake

Brian Adams

Bon Jovi

Queen

CCR

Springsteen

AC/DC

Β 

These days there really isn't much, been enjoying Rise Against a lot though. My Chemical Romance? Welcome to the Black Parade was epic...

Titleist 910D3 9.5Β°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18Β°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52Β° + 58Β°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe