2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

I know that he was grateful, humble, classy and authentic in a trophy presentation, But there's a right way to be grateful, humble, classy, authentic in a trophy presentation.

My thoughts were he's saying the right things but this crowd is buying his bs.

How do we know all of us just aren't buying your BS?

I apologize my observation offended you.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Jordan. He is a competitor first golfer second. Slow play won't afffect my viewership and I don't really know how much it really affects growth of the game. I'm not saying right or wrong. But if slow play didnt apply today can we just not ever bring it up again?

Competitor first, golfer second is a brilliant comment. Most golf gurus want to tear his game apart. That is a waste of time. Despite his jawboning with his caddie, his strategy is pretty cave man like, "Major Championship, put ball in hole, win trophy."

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

unplayable...keep where ball lies between him and the hole and go as far back as he wants (while still on course). Tour trailers where immovable obstructions, then got drop for line of sight.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

Spieth is pure class. End of story.

didn't happen to see his Greller nut slap before this post, did ya? (BTW, he is still class, maybe not pure) Hick's response is great!

https://twitter.com/...185370780254209

Your right, why should people have fun.

they shouldn't...golf isn't fun anyway...but, just in case my post is misconstrued, I'm still laughing because it's hilarious, even more so 'cause NBC didn't know what to do with it...quick cut away back to announcers and Hicks cracking up...

For all of the well deserved "we's" that get thrown around, I'm guessing Mikey knows that the pouch punch does not get reciprocated.

How many fairways has speith hit in the final round ?

Doesn't matter. GIRs matter. Spieth lapped the field in GIRs.

Pathetic rough , and trampled dunes further wide

Would not have had the chance to hit GIR

I miss how golf was in the late 90s when if you missed the fairway is was a question of hacking it back to the fairway

Sort of happens when over quarter of a million come!

The rough hadn't been cut for a couple of months according to one of the 'on course' segments Sky did during one of the practice days. Some areas seemed 'wispy' as you get at links, other places seemed really lush and to be avoided at all costs.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

Because he was taking an "unplayable" drop he could go to the nearest place of relief that is no closer to the hole. Because he was so far right the closest place of relief was over on that practice area.

unplayable...keep where ball lies between him and the hole and go as far back as he wants (while still on course).

And, in this instance, take free relief from a TIO. All within the rules of golf per the Ruler of Golf and Protector of the Realm.

didn't happen to see his Greller nut slap before this post, did ya? (BTW, he is still class, maybe not pure) Hick's response is great!

they shouldn't...golf isn't fun anyway...but, just in case my post is misconstrued, I'm still laughing because it's hilarious, even more so 'cause NBC didn't know what to do with it...quick cut away back to announcers and Hicks cracking up...

For all of the well deserved "we's" that get thrown around, I'm guessing Mikey knows that the pouch punch does not get reciprocated.

That's taking one for the team...yeah, pretty sure there's no give there.

Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H

Because he was taking an "unplayable" drop he could go to the nearest place of relief that is no closer to the hole. Because he was so far right the closest place of relief was over on that practice area.

Not exactly. The nearest point of relief would have been 1mm from his ball. He took line of sight relief, which was obstructed by the trucks, then took further relief from those, which was on the range. I don't care that much, but I wonder whether the nearest point of relief from the TIO would've been left, back in the rough.

The comparisons with Tiger are expected, but the one that stands out to me is the 2016 Masters. On 11 on Sunday I said to myself...This is Tiger stuff. Then 12 happened. "They" collapsed. Tiger never did that.

So, there is still a gap between the two unless Spieth does something extra special to overcome it.

As far as who was more talented.. Not even close. Hitting the ball higher and farther than his contemporaries, and doing it in victory, is a talent, and JS will never have that.

??

That was Beautiful!!

Nice dip by the Jordster prior to the slap, lmao

Boy, one is NEVER out of a camera's range, lmao

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Not exactly. The nearest point of relief would have been 1mm from his ball. He took line of sight relief, which was obstructed by the trucks, then took further relief from those, which was on the range. I don't care that much, but I wonder whether the nearest point of relief from the TIO would've been left, back in the rough.

he could do what he did - take two club lengths no nearer the hole - or go back to spot of original shot

enough officials there to determine it was correct spot...

Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H

With unplayable there is not a "nearest place of relief". You will either hit again from where you first hit, drop within 2 club lengths or go back in flag line (flag-ball) as far back as you want. This was at the range, then there happened to be either immovable objects or temporary immovable objects (trucks, tents, etc), which resulted in additional twists.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

he could do what he did - take two club lengths no nearer the hole - or go back to spot of original shot

Yeah, I know. Thanks. It was all within the rules.

Yeah, I know. Thanks. It was all within the rules.

just adding...not correcting...I thought the same thing but until the internet sleuths come up with a GPS located map showing the nearest point was in fact on the left by 2mm, I'm believing it was proper...hell he even told Mike he couldn't stand anywhere close to his line...

Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H

That's like saying your heart surgery " took too long " but was a complete success. Sometimes a ruling talkes as long as it takes. Virtually no way to speed it up and get it right.

A large amount of the time was the ruling and the efforts to move the crowd out of the way. Then after he hit the shot, he RAN toward the green to make up time. Then APOLOGIZED to Kuch.

I don't know how he could have handled it any better than that.

That's like saying your heart surgery " took too long " but was a complete success. Sometimes a ruling talkes as long as it takes. Virtually no way to speed it up and get it right.

A large amount of the time was the ruling and the efforts to move the crowd out of the way. Then after he hit the shot, he RAN toward the green to make up time. Then APOLOGIZED to Kuch.

He couldn't.

I was fairly ambivalent about Spieth until today but his performance reinforced the fact he is a consummate professional not to mention ridiculously talented.

just adding...not correcting...I thought the same thing but until the internet sleuths come up with a GPS located map showing the nearest point was in fact on the left by 2mm, I'm believing it was proper...hell he even told Mike he couldn't stand anywhere close to his line...

Oh, snap! I hadn't seen the sleuthing, but I knew people would question it. Thanks for the info. I think he still would've made five from anywhere.

He declared his ball to be unplayable. At that point he had 3 options and he chose the 3rd one listed below.

1. He could go back to the teebox and play what would have been his 3rd shot from there.

2. He could have dropped 2 club lengths from where his ball was and, with a one stroke penalty, played his 3rd shot.

3. He could keep the point where his ball lay between him and the hole and go back as far as he wanted and dropped it. Again, with a penalty of stroke, he would be playing his 3rd shot.

After choosing option 3, it got complicated as there were tour vans in his line of sight. Therefore he got to drop away from them, per the rules of golf, as they are considered "temporary immovable obstructions" commonly referred to as TIO's.

It was also further complicated by having mounds in the way that made it difficult to determine exactly where his drop should be in order to keep where his ball was between him and the hole.

Spieth knew exactly what he doing as would have most any other pro. He did absolutely nothing wrong nor was anything out line with the entire process including how long it took.

Reasonable people realize that. Unreasonable people not so much.

The comparisons with Tiger are expected, but the one that stands out to me is the 2016 Masters. On 11 on Sunday I said to myself...This is Tiger stuff. Then 12 happened. "They" collapsed. Tiger never did that.

As far as who was more talented.. Not even close. Hitting the ball higher and farther than his contemporaries, and doing it in victory, is a talent, and JS will never have that.

Aw, how cute is your TW worship! That's very special.