2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jason Day's Body & Game

Need4spd

What people fail to understand is that lifting weights does not lead to "bulking up." Bulking up occurs when one eats at a caloric surplus. One can lift weights and gain strength, but not bulk up if they do not eat at a caloric surplus. If one thinks gaining strength can hinder athletic performance, I question their sanity. If one thinks bulking up hinders performance, that's reasonable, but blame the diet, not the weights. And I think guys such as Daly and Stadler show that size in golf is a relative non issue.

Bulking up is accomplished by the manner in which you lift much more then it is by caloric intake. DJ lifts like you described, Rory and Day have obviously lifted with the intention to grow bigger and stronger.

I think you're talking about strength vs. hypertrophy training. From my understanding, one can utilize either style and gain strength (strength faster than hypertrophy), but one will only gain weight if they eat at a surplus.

I'm not going to pretend to be a kinesiologist but I know when you press your muscles to fail and rebuild and repeat the process till you're lifting 2-3 times what you could when you started, extra muscle (bulk) has been created, and that muscle weighs more then fat. So you gain size, weight, and strength. And our contention in this thread is that those over developed muscles hinder some or all of the motions of a world class golfer.

I checked the link provided above detailing Koepkas work out. He tweeted he could dead lift 295lbs 5 times. I am guessing he won't press himself much past that for the benefit of his golf body. When Rory was walking around like a Jacked little beast a year ago, I would venture to guess he was into the 350+ range for his dead. 295 isn't that much. Point being is that a golfers build is a specific build. the wise golfers on tour have developed long lean flexible muscles working out in the manner you implied in your post.

If hypertrophy means building your muscles, Day and Rory have done that. But speaking from my experience, it's done by pushing yourself hard in the gym, not by hitting up the Krispy Kreme :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no kinesiologist either but the topic does interest me. From my understanding, strength is developed through central nervous system adaptations and bulk is built through diet.

I don't think it's that black and white. Bulk can be built through muscle growth to a certain extent. A lot of it probably also depends on the persons build to begin with. DJ would need some serious calorie help if he wanted to bulk up, koepka would probably just need an extra chocolate milk at night.

I'm no kinesiologist either but the topic does interest me. From my understanding, strength is developed through central nervous system adaptations and bulk is built through diet.

I don't think it's that black and white. Bulk can be built through muscle growth to a certain extent. A lot of it probably also depends on the persons build to begin with. DJ would need some serious calorie help if he wanted to bulk up, koepka would probably just need an extra chocolate milk at night.

One factor that must be considered in the future is the possibility that golfers may have to push their bodies past a sustainable limit, just to be able to compete. As time progresses, the limits of peak performance are pushed, and the overall standard of play is increased. It is possible in the future that golfers may have to sacrifice durability for peak performance. Compare it to the average NFL lineman. They do not play the game with long term sustainable bodies. They would all be better off in the long run at a healthy weight. However, peak performance at that position demands an incredibly large body. This increases risk of injury and decreases career lengths. It is possible in the future that golfers may also have to sacrifice their long term durability for distance and power, just to be able to maintain a certain level of play. I think this may be where we are headed in golf, athletically.

Day is a manimal. At 6'3", 235 of solid muscle, Nike couldn't have picked a better person to endorse their tight fitting clothing.

My buddy regularly plays flag football at the local YMCA, and after one glance at Day in person he told me that Day is bigger than Von Miller, and would likely average between 15 and 20 sacks a season in the NFL if he started training within the next 2 or 3 years. I trust this guy's opinion because he not only plays, but he won his fantasy football league last year.

Day is just one of those rare specimens who looks like he's on about 50 different testosterone prescriptions, but is just naturally shredded at 5% bodyfat.

I know a guy who has a roomate who used to be neighbors with a Nike rep, who said the reason Day has been struggling is because Nike is still trying to manufacture golf pants that are large enough in the quad and hamstring area to accommodate him. I believe every word of it.

Lol, idiot. Don't you make these childish posts every chance you get? :ban:

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Day is a manimal. At 6'3", 235 of solid muscle, Nike couldn't have picked a better person to endorse their tight fitting clothing.

My buddy regularly plays flag football at the local YMCA, and after one glance at Day in person he told me that Day is bigger than Von Miller, and would likely average between 15 and 20 sacks a season in the NFL if he started training within the next 2 or 3 years. I trust this guy's opinion because he not only plays, but he won his fantasy football league last year.

Day is just one of those rare specimens who looks like he's on about 50 different testosterone prescriptions, but is just naturally shredded at 5% bodyfat.

I know a guy who has a roomate who used to be neighbors with a Nike rep, who said the reason Day has been struggling is because Nike is still trying to manufacture golf pants that are large enough in the quad and hamstring area to accommodate him. I believe every word of it.

235?!? Maybe when he's cutting for a fight, but otherwise, no ****in' way, bro.

Lmao, I guess i'm the only one who realized this is sarcasm?

You guys do realize Jason Day is like 5'11" 190 pounds, right? This is the same dumb s*** that gets brought up about Rory all the time. Go follow any of the guys on tour and they all work out like crazy.

It is 100% black and white, you cannot gain WEIGHT without eating at a surplus. I do not care how much time you spend lifting, if you eat maintenance calories, or less you will maintain or more than likely lose weight. A 3500 calorie surplus is roughly equal to 1 lb. So for any of these guys to add "bulk" they would need to be working out and eating more food. While some people are predisposed to gaining weight more easily, a function of their natural metabolism, everyone needs to be in a surplus of the exact same amount to gain weight. For example, DJ might normally burn 2500 calories per day due to several factors, while Koepka burns 2000. If DJ eats 2500 calories per day, he gains zip. Koepka burns the same amount, he gains a lb. per week. This is why it is imperative to work with a nutritionist and dietician to adequately determine your personal caloric needs, and also closely monitor your expended calories during exercise.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

Lol, idiot. Don't you make these childish posts every chance you get? :ban:

Be careful there. That Cow college endorsement youre flying doesn't exactly say the opposite. Let's be nice ! ( I kid the Clemson fans. Sort of :).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol atrocious thread. The level of misinformation about lifting and diet is hilarious. You cannot add size without increased calories. It is impossible.

When legends of old lost their game it was night life, booze, divorces, lost love of the game, lost swings, lost nerves...

But now we gotta blame weights lol. Cause simply slumping isn't a good enough reason!

I'm convinced most of wrx hasn't played competitive sports lol. No one on tour is even at the lowest physique model levels of muscle. Love it how the obese guys get a pass over fitness guys now too. A guy like Shawn stefani just screams athlete, solid all over but proportionate. He doesn't get any screen time so he's not discussed.

Day was actually bigger before the fame. It's just leaner and slim fit shirts. He does walk upright because he's probably had disc damage from the level of wear and tear his restricted power swing takes. If you have a bad back you walk in a funky way. Surprise!

235?!? Maybe when he's cutting for a fight, but otherwise, no ****in' way, bro.

He talking bout,

post-7455-0-02422400-1501852242.jpg

I heard Myles Garret calls JD for strength training advice. Myles is really working on getting his biceps up on JDs level.

Guys like Day and even Rory give that vibe off of not caring as much. fair or not thats the perception. its up to them to convince people otherwise.

And why would they need to care that much? If I played golf for a living, and by my early 20's was a multi-millionaire who never had to have a financial worry for the remainder of my life, and most likely my kids and grandkids lives, what would I give a rats behind how much I won? Why would I want or feel the need to convince anyone of anything? Sure, they all say they want to be number one, because their sponsors pay them to, especially Nike who wants to dominate every athletic market that exists. But reality is, they can put it on cruise control without a care in the world for the rest of their lives.

But speaking from my experience, it's done by pushing yourself hard in the gym, not by hitting up the Krispy Kreme :)

It's done from a combination of pushing yourself hard in the gym with heavy weights, and caloric intake. You can push hard in the gym and eat like a rabbit and while you will get stronger, you wont get bigger. You can eat like a behemoth and not do much working out and you'll get bigger (fatter) but wont get stronger or bulky. It takes a combination of both in order to bulk up. That being said, I wouldn't recommend krispy kreme as the meal of choice if health and fitness (even for bulk) was my agenda.

Lol atrocious thread. The level of misinformation about lifting and diet is hilarious. You cannot add size without increased calories. It is impossible.

When legends of old lost their game it was night life, booze, divorces, lost love of the game, lost swings, lost nerves...

But now we gotta blame weights lol. Cause simply slumping isn't a good enough reason!

I'm convinced most of wrx hasn't played competitive sports lol. No one on tour is even at the lowest physique model levels of muscle. Love it how the obese guys get a pass over fitness guys now too. A guy like Shawn stefani just screams athlete, solid all over but proportionate. He doesn't get any screen time so he's not discussed.

Day was actually bigger before the fame. It's just leaner and slim fit shirts. He does walk upright because he's probably had disc damage from the level of wear and tear his restricted power swing takes. If you have a bad back you walk in a funky way. Surprise!

You're post is a perfect example of why I waited a long time to join this forum. Way to employ what we call in the professional world "seagull management" (fly in s*** all over everybody, and fly back out again).

Of course one must consume calories to gain mass, but to say its the only factor is a slap in the face to anybody who's put in the sweat and endured the proceeding days sore muscles to properly learn how to do a clean and jerk, a squat, and a dead lift with some serious iron on the bar. I'm talking real strength training here, not doing a set of bicep curls in between admiring yourself in the mirror by the weight rack.

Since you've called me (and possibly others) out on not being athletes... here's my resume: 3 years as an amatuer boxer at 217lbs and 6 years as a power and olympic lifter at 250 lbs. I've had and have a thorough understanding of how to get my body to different weights for different sports. Clean and Jerk was 225lbs, Dead Lift was 415lbs and my squat was 385 lbs. What can you lift?

If you don't think there is a possibility that the muscular mass that Rory and Jason packed on could effect their touch in golf, you obviously have never gotten your body in that kind of shape and tried to play golf at a -2 to +2 cap level.

A guy like Shawn stefani just screams athlete, solid all over but proportionate. He doesn't get any screen time so he's not discussed.

I actually know Shawn, and the dude is much bigger than he looks on TV. When you see him on TV, or even on the course from a distance, he looks a little lanky, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He is about 6'2"-6'3", and shredded, but he's not overly bulky. Proportionate is a good description.

Can we stop using "bulky" or "bulking up" ?

No one can make a legitimate argument for why it's a negative to exercise as a professional golfer.

Look at Brooks Koepka, Gary Woodland, Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy, Jason Day, Adam Scott, etc.

Out of the top 15 in the world, Rahm and Kuchar are the only ones I see who don't consistently exercise. Or at least don't look like they do.

Jason Day is wearing smaller polos. Girls boobs look bigger in tighter tank tops also...

Not uncommon for guys in their 20's to become obsessed with lifting. They're in prime shape physically and can see the effects of training more quickly. They're also limber enough it doesn't hinder their motion. I dont think weights in particular hurt tiger, it was over training in general (running on tournament days, navy seal training, etc)l did him in. I don't think day or Rory will make that same mistake.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Shocking, Jason Day may have injured himself again

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

You're post is a perfect example of why I waited a long time to join this forum. Way to employ what we call in the professional world "seagull management" (fly in s*** all over everybody, and fly back out again).

Of course one must consume calories to gain mass, but to say its the only factor is a slap in the face to anybody who's put in the sweat and endured the proceeding days sore muscles to properly learn how to do a clean and jerk, a squat, and a dead lift with some serious iron on the bar. I'm talking real strength training here, not doing a set of bicep curls in between admiring yourself in the mirror by the weight rack.

Since you've called me (and possibly others) out on not being athletes... here's my resume: 3 years as an amatuer boxer at 217lbs and 6 years as a power and olympic lifter at 250 lbs. I've had and have a thorough understanding of how to get my body to different weights for different sports. Clean and Jerk was 225lbs, Dead Lift was 415lbs and my squat was 385 lbs. What can you lift?

If you don't think there is a possibility that the muscular mass that Rory and Jason packed on could effect their touch in golf, you obviously have never gotten your body in that kind of shape and tried to play golf at a -2 to +2 cap level.

with respect, you were 250 pounds,, Rory is like 165-170 at his most. Day is like 195 and got a little slimmer this year so who knows. I do agree when your pushing 250 plus and lifting that much it might not be the best for golf competing at highest levels

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

So he is driving the ball 15 yards shorter than 2015 (his best year) and has gone from one the best drivers on tour to an average driver of the ball. He has dropped from being a top iron in terms of GIR to below average. He has always struggled with proximity to the hole. He was putting great in 2015 and putter even better in 2016. Now he is back to being average. Which leads his scrambling stats to put him below average due to his below average iron play.

This typical of a great putter and a good mental game. The will rely on it for to long and not realize that the rest of their game is starting to crumble. Eventually you going to start missing putts and then everything falls apart. You will start searching and lose your mental game. That is what is going on. Watch him hit irons shots, his upper body is swing the club. The low body is vary passive.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

with respect, you were 250 pounds,, Rory is like 165-170 at his most. Day is like 195 and got a little slimmer this year so who knows. I do agree when your pushing 250 plus and lifting that much it might not be the best for golf competing at highest levels

I think it could be somewhat relative. There were plenty of guys I used to lift with at 170 and 195 that could put up as much or more then me in any compound lift. Maybe its the old boxer in me (can't help but size up everyone I see), but when I saw Rory and Day after they really got into being in the gym, I immediately sized them up as hitting those lifts hard. Both their builds look core and and leg heavy - like they had been doing those compound lifts. It was my experience that those lifts really messed with my touch around the greens. I think the only way we can accurately explore this issue is to see if their putting and short game related statistics dropped off after they started heavy strength training.

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

So he is driving the ball 15 yards shorter than 2015 (his best year) and has gone from one the best drivers on tour to an average driver of the ball. He has dropped from being a top iron in terms of GIR to below average. He has always struggled with proximity to the hole. He was putting great in 2015 and putter even better in 2016. Now he is back to being average. Which leads his scrambling stats to put him below average due to his below average iron play.

This typical of a great putter and a good mental game. The will rely on it for to long and not realize that the rest of their game is starting to crumble. Eventually you going to start missing putts and then everything falls apart. You will start searching and lose your mental game. That is what is going on. Watch him hit irons shots, his upper body is swing the club. The low body is vary passive.

It looks like Day's putting and short game has dropped off considerably.

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

It was going to happen at some point. You don't keep making 40 footer after 40 footer. He has get his swing in check as well or else he going to turn into an average pga tour player. There is nothing wrong with that, you can make a good living doing it, but with a mental game and competitive attitude Jason has, it tough to see him not wanting to win multiple times each year. He has had the same coach all his life and he caddies for him as well. I don't like to say it but its time for a change. This guy is like a father to Jason, but something isn't clicking. I know he doesn't work that hard on his game during the off season, he likes to spend time with his family, nothing wrong with that. But he always off to a pretty slow start to his season and then finds some form mid summer. But it looks like that isn't going to happen this year.

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

It was going to happen at some point. You don't keep making 40 footer after 40 footer. He has get his swing in check as well or else he going to turn into an average pga tour player. There is nothing wrong with that, you can make a good living doing it, but with a mental game and competitive attitude Jason has, it tough to see him not wanting to win multiple times each year. He has had the same coach all his life and he caddies for him as well. I don't like to say it but its time for a change. This guy is like a father to Jason, but something isn't clicking. I know he doesn't work that hard on his game during the off season, he likes to spend time with his family, nothing wrong with that. But he always off to a pretty slow start to his season and then finds some form mid summer. But it looks like that isn't going to happen this year.

All are good points, but getting up and down is a key skill for a world class touring pro. I've walked enough 18 hole rounds watching them to say they need to get up and down just as often for their 66's and 68's as we mortals need to for our 74's and 78's.

If his short game touch was altered it could be a root cause of many problems that could seep into the rest of his game.

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

All are good points, but getting up and down is a key skill for a world class touring pro. I've walked enough 18 hole rounds watching them to say they need to get up and down just as often for their 66's and 68's as we mortals need to for our 74's and 78's.

If his short game touch was altered it could be a root cause of many problems that could seep into the rest of his game.

They need to have solid short game technique. But they need to hitting far and hitting irons shots close to the hole to be consistent world class touring pro. Look at the top 10 in the world. They are long and throwing darts. They only short hitter is Noren (he plays in Europe, fairways aren't as fast), and the only bad iron player is Day.

all probably true... but ive yet to see anyone who bulks up ( relative term...in this case meaning relative to most golfers. not body builders) and plays better...... plenty of guys are fit and trim and stay healthy without bulking up... (Phil for his age, DJ Spieth, etc) cant argue that all the heavier lifters have the back issues ( rory, Day Tiger) and the ones who dont generally play forever ...... why is that?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will say that there are other variables at play here than just the lifting. The examples you mentioned with back issues have/had restricted hip turns and fired them pretty aggressively through the ball. The examples you mentioned that do not have back issues do not. All I'm saying is there is more going on here that keeps us from being able to conclusively say that the issue is in the weight room. That being said, when you combine those type (Rory, Day, Tiger) of swings that put a lot of stress on the back with the fact that they're able to apply more force with their increased strength from the weight room, that's where I would guess the problem is.. But again that's nothing more than a guess.

Can we stop using "bulky" or "bulking up" ?

No one can make a legitimate argument for why it's a negative to exercise as a professional golfer.

Look at Brooks Koepka, Gary Woodland, Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy, Jason Day, Adam Scott, etc.

Out of the top 15 in the world, Rahm and Kuchar are the only ones I see who don't consistently exercise. Or at least don't look like they do.

Jason Day is wearing smaller polos. Girls boobs look bigger in tighter tank tops also...

sooooo.... you wish for us to call it something else ? why not call it what it is... of course as i said earlier in relative terms it is bulking upp what jason day has done...

..... I get that some of you are amatuer body builders... thats cool... but you cant project that into making an argument for everyone to do so.... Im 6ft4 with spikes on ( assume 6-2 barefoot only know with spikes from fitting specs) 208 lbs and wear a 36 inch waist that requires a belt to sinch it up... currently looking to get down to a 34-35 as im myself doing some core work... so you cant call me "fat" i wouldnt think... but whatever i guess.. im never going to understand the gym rats view point and the rory sized gym rat will likely never see mine.... when i think of the guys that defend "bulking up" this is who i think of.... lol which i know isnt accurate either..the one on the right ...not adam sandler..

http://www.bing.com/...ex=6&ajaxhist=0

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock