2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jason Day's Body & Game

Need4spd

Can we stop using "bulky" or "bulking up" ?

No one can make a legitimate argument for why it's a negative to exercise as a professional golfer.

Look at Brooks Koepka, Gary Woodland, Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy, Jason Day, Adam Scott, etc.

Out of the top 15 in the world, Rahm and Kuchar are the only ones I see who don't consistently exercise. Or at least don't look like they do.

Jason Day is wearing smaller polos. Girls boobs look bigger in tighter tank tops also...

sooooo.... you wish for us to call it something else ? why not call it what it is... of course as i said earlier in relative terms it is bulking upp what jason day has done...

..... I get that some of you are amatuer body builders... thats cool... but you cant project that into making an argument for everyone to do so.... Im 6ft4 with spikes on ( assume 6-2 barefoot only know with spikes from fitting specs) 208 lbs and wear a 36 inch waist that requires a belt to sinch it up... currently looking to get down to a 34-35 as im myself doing some core work... so you cant call me "fat" i wouldnt think... but whatever i guess.. im never going to understand the gym rats view point and the rory sized gym rat will likely never see mine.... when i think of the guys that defend "bulking up" this is who i think of.... lol which i know isnt accurate either..the one on the right ...not adam sandler..

http://www.bing.com/...ex=6&ajaxhist=0

I'm with you brother. I haven't touched a weight in about 2 months, and it's really made a noticeable difference for me around the greens. Probably the reason I'm beating the war drum in this thread. It is funny we're discussing this now, because despite Day's tight fitting clothes, it looks like he's heeded our advice. He looks to be back to a much more athletic build from what he looked like a year ago.

Also for the record, body building is like putting plastic spoilers and racing stickers on your car. It's a waste of time for the sake of vanity. compound movements make an athlete.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can make a legitimate argument for why it's a negative to exercise as a professional golfer.

Look at Brooks Koepka, Gary Woodland, Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy, Jason Day, Adam Scott, etc.

Out of the top 15 in the world, Rahm and Kuchar are the only ones I see who don't consistently exercise. Or at least don't look like they do.

Jason Day is wearing smaller polos. Girls boobs look bigger in tighter tank tops also...

sooooo.... you wish for us to call it something else ? why not call it what it is... of course as i said earlier in relative terms it is bulking upp what jason day has done...

..... I get that some of you are amatuer body builders... thats cool... but you cant project that into making an argument for everyone to do so.... Im 6ft4 with spikes on ( assume 6-2 barefoot only know with spikes from fitting specs) 208 lbs and wear a 36 inch waist that requires a belt to sinch it up... currently looking to get down to a 34-35 as im myself doing some core work... so you cant call me "fat" i wouldnt think... but whatever i guess.. im never going to understand the gym rats view point and the rory sized gym rat will likely never see mine.... when i think of the guys that defend "bulking up" this is who i think of.... lol which i know isnt accurate either..the one on the right ...not adam sandler..

Lmao at guys Rory's size. Guess i'm a "gym rat" now.

spl1262603_023_2.jpg

I'm with you brother. I haven't touched a weight in about 2 months, and it's really made a noticeable difference for me around the greens. Probably the reason I'm beating the war drum in this thread. It is funny we're discussing this now, because despite Day's tight fitting clothes, it looks like he's heeded our advice. He looks to be back to a much more athletic build from what he looked like a year ago.

Also for the record, body building is like putting plastic spoilers and racing stickers on your car. It's a waste of time for the sake of vanity. compound movements make an athlete.

Yes sir. That was part of my point. You are either born with some of it or you don't get it. Rory isn't going to find it there. And j day didn't either. Also agree. He looks best I've seen him in over a year today.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

he's the same size today he was in 2015 ... i've always thought he was a bit too big in the chest/shoulders, though ... he apparently is either a very good putter or a very bad putter ...

He looks as if he got fascinated with bench press. I've never understood why anyone would take bench over OHP.

OHP is a far more unnatural motion to do than a bench press and easier to get injured with. It can lead to shoulder, lower back, and upper back injuries. OHP offers far less return to daily living, and most sports, than a bench press does.

I think it depends on how much a body changes. David Duval was one of the best golfers on the planet while just a tad portly. He then hit the gym, lost a lot of weight, put on a lot of muscle...and his swing deserted him.

He, absolutely, never put on a lot of muscle.

spl1262603_023_2.jpg

looks like he's been easing out of the weights also. He did not look like that a year ago

Only on GolfWRX would someone Rory's size be compared to a 'bodybuilder'.

or a "linebacker" ???

Have a great weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

spl1262603_023_2.jpg

looks like he's been easing out of the weights also. He did not look like that a year ago

That picture is from spring 2016, he was lifting then. These golfers are all pretty light/fit and in healthy weight ranges, Day is even trying to lose a little from 195, I would imagine for his back health. We've got guys on here with 36" plus waists 210+ pounds thinking these golfers are in the same boat or trying to get there. I can guarantee you they wouldn't be trying to bulk up if they were in that range, they would be trying to slim down and be fit.

Day is a manimal. At 6'3", 235 of solid muscle, Nike couldn't have picked a better person to endorse their tight fitting clothing.

My buddy regularly plays flag football at the local YMCA, and after one glance at Day in person he told me that Day is bigger than Von Miller, and would likely average between 15 and 20 sacks a season in the NFL if he started training within the next 2 or 3 years. I trust this guy's opinion because he not only plays, but he won his fantasy football league last year.

Day is just one of those rare specimens who looks like he's on about 50 different testosterone prescriptions, but is just naturally shredded at 5% bodyfat.

I know a guy who has a roomate who used to be neighbors with a Nike rep, who said the reason Day has been struggling is because Nike is still trying to manufacture golf pants that are large enough in the quad and hamstring area to accommodate him. I believe every word of it.

This was friggin beautiful!!!!!????

Very Nicely Played?

Have a great weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Nice Hunter S. Thompson quote Forged 4 Ever. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely pretty and with a well preserved body but to skid in broad side, thoroughly used up and totally worn and out loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a fackin ride!!!"

He was good for more then a few of them :)

c3c13362ef2be35f1f5b3a5b1bb289f3.jpg

Nice Hunter S. Thompson quote Forged 4 Ever. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely pretty and with a well preserved body but to skid in broad side, thoroughly used up and totally worn and out loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a fackin ride!!!"

He and it are one of my favorites, lol

I took an artistic liberty or two, haha

Please, call me RP or Richard if you'd like?

Have a nice weekend?

RP

He and it are one of my favorites, lol

I took an artistic liberty or two, haha

Please, call me RP or Richard if you'd like

Have a nice weekend

RP

I'm sure he would understand. He took a few with Conrad and Hemingway, especially early in his career. :)

He is by far my favorite writer as well. An american treasure for us eccentrics. :)

Glad to know you Richard.

Have a great weekend as well.

-Matt

Jason Day Stats

Driving Distance

2017 298, 41

2016 304, 15

2015 313.7, 3

SG Driving

2017 .284, 63

2016 .186, 64

2015 .772, 3

GIR %

2017 64%, 139

2016 67%, 53

2015 70, 7th

Proximity to hole

2017 39' 4", 197

2016 37' 11", 166

2015 36' 3", 136

SG Putting

2017 .208, 60

2016 1.13, 1st

2015 .586, 6

Scrambling

2017 57%, 137

2016 61%, 26

2015 65.34, 2nd

So he is driving the ball 15 yards shorter than 2015 (his best year) and has gone from one the best drivers on tour to an average driver of the ball. He has dropped from being a top iron in terms of GIR to below average. He has always struggled with proximity to the hole. He was putting great in 2015 and putter even better in 2016. Now he is back to being average. Which leads his scrambling stats to put him below average due to his below average iron play.

This typical of a great putter and a good mental game. The will rely on it for to long and not realize that the rest of their game is starting to crumble. Eventually you going to start missing putts and then everything falls apart. You will start searching and lose your mental game. That is what is going on. Watch him hit irons shots, his upper body is swing the club. The low body is vary passive.

Most if not all of these stats can be related to playing with a bad back

I think it depends on how much a body changes. David Duval was one of the best golfers on the planet while just a tad portly. He then hit the gym, lost a lot of weight, put on a lot of muscle...and his swing deserted him.

But you can't prove causation there...

There are a million things besides working out that can cause someone to lose their swing.

Mental, stopped practicing, made swing changes (lol), etc.

spl1262603_023_2.jpg

judging by that pic i would say rory lifting at all is a hoax....thats pretty average male in his 20s....maybe hes faking?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There are a million things besides working out that can cause someone to lose their swing.

Duval won his only major after losing weight and adding muscle, too.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

OHP is a far more unnatural motion to do than a bench press and easier to get injured with. It can lead to shoulder, lower back, and upper back injuries. OHP offers far less return to daily living, and most sports, than a bench press does.

Nonsense. The only way bench is natural is if you habitually fall asleep, on your back at the beach, and fat ladies fall on you all the time (or, 8-12 times). Picking stuff up off the ground and lifting it overhead is part of numerous labor jobs as well as being an age old test of strength (not sure why anyone would give a ****, but whatever...). Even revelers attempting keg stands are better off training with OHP than bench. Bench is for short dudes who want big boobs.

I think the "bulking up" thing is a straw man that is easy to argue against. I don't see anyone here though saying that bulking up and adding a ton of muscle is good for someone's golf game.

The thing is, none of these guys has bulked up. None of them are big. None of them have anything like the sort of muscle that is going to make it more difficult to swing a golf club well.

Some players take their fitness and strength training seriously more seriously than others.. I'd be shocked if there's a PGA Tour player who just starts lifting weights trying to get bigger and put on a ton of muscle. I'd be shocked if any of the guys who lift don't have a personal trainer who is an expert in what regime is going to help a golfer address physical weaknesses that might be hindering their game and trying to prevent injuries / minimize recurring injuries.

Some players may have a physique that has a predisposition to make added muscle more apparent from this sort of work out. Others not so much. Either way, they're not turning themselves into some sort of bulky, unarhletic muscle head. They're making sure they're in shape to give themselves the best chance at succeeding at their profession.

he's the same size today he was in 2015 ... i've always thought he was a bit too big in the chest/shoulders, though ... he apparently is either a very good putter or a very bad putter ...

He looks as if he got fascinated with bench press. I've never understood why anyone would take bench over OHP.

He, absolutely, never put on a lot of muscle.

You keep beating this drum but he most certainly did and became obsessed with it. That's based on in person research. He wasn't Schwarzenegger by any stretch but he was a large change for his body. More importantly the working out became more important than his game. You have to at some point come out of whatever arena you are in and into the professional golf arena when it comes to "muscle". Anyone who suggests these guys are linebackers is just silly but in before and after comparisons Rory, Day and Duval all put on muscle.

Lol this has now become a self brag, self stats and former sports participated in brag. I will not participate in the **** measuring contest. I wasn't discrediting how hard you need to train to be lean and athletic. I was like many, annoyed by this bulking or misrepresentation of size. You can train your tail off, if you dont eat more, you wont truly grow. Thats really not up for debate and that was my main point.

If you do need proof that I live the life (Dr.Block with 32 posts lol), I can evidence that in many forms. PM me.

I didn't say anything groundbreaking. You can analyze their frames all you want lol. If you've truly played sports at a high level outside of golf youre not going to flinch at rory or jason, nor would you really question their training. They are normal looking guys, lean point guards at best, This is just silly stuff.

So back to Day and his poor play...

Dude is obviously hurting, using a white putter, and only a few shots off the lead.

agree... hes walking gingerly and defintely defending that back ..... Rory outdriving him by a good bit each time too.... wish he would stop swinging so hard...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol this has now become a self brag, self stats and former sports participated in brag. I will not participate in the **** measuring contest. I wasn't discrediting how hard you need to train to be lean and athletic. I was like many, annoyed by this bulking or misrepresentation of size. You can train your tail off, if you dont eat more, you wont truly grow. Thats really not up for debate and that was my main point.

If you do need proof that I live the life (Dr.Block with 32 posts lol), I can evidence that in many forms. PM me.

I didn't say anything groundbreaking. You can analyze their frames all you want lol. If you've truly played sports at a high level outside of golf youre not going to flinch at rory or jason, nor would you really question their training. They are normal looking guys, lean point guards at best, This is just silly stuff.

come on.. you are the instigator in that... yes? ill have to go back to be able to quote you , but something along the lines of "obese" and " noone here was ever an athelete at anything by your talking".... of course this was meant to illicit the responses it got.. then you get to come back and tell guys how dumb they are for that response..... hmmm... is there a name for that ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol atrocious thread. The level of misinformation about lifting and diet is hilarious. You cannot add size without increased calories. It is impossible.

When legends of old lost their game it was night life, booze, divorces, lost love of the game, lost swings, lost nerves...

But now we gotta blame weights lol. Cause simply slumping isn't a good enough reason!

I'm convinced most of wrx hasn't played competitive sports lol. No one on tour is even at the lowest physique model levels of muscle. Love it how the obese guys get a pass over fitness guys now too. A guy like Shawn stefani just screams athlete, solid all over but proportionate. He doesn't get any screen time so he's not discussed.

Day was actually bigger before the fame. It's just leaner and slim fit shirts. He does walk upright because he's probably had disc damage from the level of wear and tear his restricted power swing takes. If you have a bad back you walk in a funky way. Surprise!

and here is that post.....

what response did you expect to calling out "most of wrx" and throwing "obese" around....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So back to Day and his poor play...

Dude is obviously hurting, using a white putter, and only a few shots off the lead.

agree... hes walking gingerly and defintely defending that back ..... Rory outdriving him by a good bit each time too.... wish he would stop swinging so hard...

The parallels with his idol Woods are uncanny, minus the overwhelming success of course.

The illusion that they ever had it in the first place.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

This again?

Jason Day is listed at 6' and 195lbs. He's basically the same size as I am. I lift weights and I run. I'm in pretty good shape.

No one has ever suggested that the reason I didn't play well was because of my obsession with weightlifting and how jacked I am. There are a few reasons for that. 1. Because no one but me cares how I play. 2. Because I'm not jacked. 3. Because it would be ridiculous to think that staying in decent shape is bad for an athletic endeavor.

I think the people who are suggesting that Day, Rory, whoever are jacked may be confusing being big with wearing tight shirts. Maybe all along it's been the epidemic of tight shirts that has been causing all this bad play!

Don't forget that the lens adds 10-20 pounds of fat with undefined muscle mass and 30-50 pounds to someone who has defined muscles ... at least one would think from the way people talk.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie