2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jason Day's Body & Game

Need4spd

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the weightlifting has everything to do with Rory's and Jason's short game decline. It seems to me that those are the factors holding them back - especially Rory and his putting.

I used to do a lot of power and olympic lifting. Got my clean and jerk and my squat to respectable levels, and my golf game was horrendous inside 50 yards. Since I've stopped, my short game has gotten back to what it was when I was a skinny little punk on the high school golf team.

I can't speak to Jason's routine, but rory looks like he does quite a bit of the power lifts. Those lifts make your muscles want to act like a trap door, and that isn't very conducive to the finer touch points required in golf.

Interesting, my short game got better

Lol. From lifting ? Do tell !! So I can say I've heard it all officially !

About as rubbish as thinking lifting hurts short game. Point was mine got better, probably from practice.

people need to understand this, lifting weights can be very beneficial for your back. Your strengthening the muscles around the spine, when you have strong muscles supporting your spine, your less likely to have disc problems etc. Which is why you see overweight, out of shape people with the most back problems. You run into problems with bad form and trying to do super heavy stuff in the process, which I don't think Tiger or Jason were doing, other reason's why they might run into injuries like the amount of speed they swing and technique.

All true. But don't you think that swinging out of your shoes like day goes hand in hand with the meat head attitude a guy has when he lifts so he can squeeze into his men's medium shirts and strut around. I think that's the ops point.

They are going to try swinging out of shoes regardless. Better off with a supported spine

The thing with Day is this - everyone thinks he's become a hipster and wearing tight form-fitting clothes since he went to Nike, but in reality he's wearing XXL loose-fit like in the 90's, and it's just that his muscles bulge so much that his clothes can't contain him any more. Notice how at the Open he had a different pair of shoes on each day? That's because when he got agitated after missing a putt he involuntarily flexed his ankle muscle which ripped the shoes apart.

Redjeep-

"About as rubbish as thinking lifting hurts short game. Point was mine got better, probably from practice.

They are going to try swinging out of shoes regardless. Better off with a supported spine"

tad bit touchy aye?

i never said lifting hurt short game.... it may.. but you said it ..i didnt...

and that was my point... yours got better from practice.... we agree on that...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Redjeep-

"About as rubbish as thinking lifting hurts short game. Point was mine got better, probably from practice.

They are going to try swinging out of shoes regardless. Better off with a supported spine"

tad bit touchy aye?

i never said lifting hurt short game.... it may.. but you said it ..i didnt...

and that was my point... yours got better from practice.... we agree on that...

Not touchy at all just replying to post,, you do realize I was responding to the guy who said lifting hurt Rory, day and his short game?

In theory, proper weight lifting would help Jason Day not hurt him. If he did a proper warm up, lifted moderate weight with good technique and focused a lot of training of his core he should be better of than had he never lifted a weight.

Weightlifting doesn't cause injury or reduce flexibility, weightlifting with the wrong program and improper technique does that.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

In theory, proper weight lifting would help Jason Day not hurt him. If he did a proper warm up, lifted moderate weight with good technique and focused a lot of training of his core he should be better of than had he never lifted a weight.

Weightlifting doesn't cause injury or reduce flexibility, weightlifting with the wrong program and improper technique does that.

all probably true... but ive yet to see anyone who bulks up ( relative term...in this case meaning relative to most golfers. not body builders) and plays better...... plenty of guys are fit and trim and stay healthy without bulking up... (Phil for his age, DJ Spieth, etc) cant argue that all the heavier lifters have the back issues ( rory, Day Tiger) and the ones who dont generally play forever ...... why is that?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I just think that he let his ego get to him after he was #1 OWGR. And his mom getting sick I'm sure wasn't much fun and I'm sure he didn't play as much to be close to her. He needs to get back to working on his game and less on the weightlifting. In the Shiels' video he mentioned something about lifting more and heavier which doesn't sound like recipe for success. I hope he can get his A game back soon as he was fun to watch. And yes the Nike golf clothes look ridiculously tight on all their staff players (and Shiels as well), especially the tight, narrow pants.

Or maybe he just really isnt that good*? He got hot, rode it for a few months, and now is performing like he has for 90+% of his career.

*Relative to his peak

Pretty much what I think. His obsession with telling people how he seeks out tigers advice and so on and the mountain he climbed. Im sure his moms health is weighing on him how can it not but i saw this coming last year. I saw it as nothing more than a hot streak until i can be proven wrong.I havent been and believe i wont. i was mocked last year for saying that i wouldnt be surprised if he never wins another major. the only reason i feel this way is how many golf superstars need to be told by people around them at 28-29 years old" you need to take this seriously" " get off your butt and practice".

Jordan Spieth has shown who he is for 3.5 years, i doubt his fire just disappears, guy has the heart of a lion. Guys like Day and even Rory give that vibe off of not caring as much. fair or not thats the perception. its up to them to convince people otherwise.

Jason worships at the alter of Tiger. It's not surprising that he's obsessed with weights.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Day is a manimal. At 6'3", 235 of solid muscle, Nike couldn't have picked a better person to endorse their tight fitting clothing.

My buddy regularly plays flag football at the local YMCA, and after one glance at Day in person he told me that Day is bigger than Von Miller, and would likely average between 15 and 20 sacks a season in the NFL if he started training within the next 2 or 3 years. I trust this guy's opinion because he not only plays, but he won his fantasy football league last year.

Day is just one of those rare specimens who looks like he's on about 50 different testosterone prescriptions, but is just naturally shredded at 5% bodyfat.

I know a guy who has a roomate who used to be neighbors with a Nike rep, who said the reason Day has been struggling is because Nike is still trying to manufacture golf pants that are large enough in the quad and hamstring area to accommodate him. I believe every word of it.

Day is bulkier than the vast majority of guys on tour. That's just a fact. This is all relative, fellas. I'm not trying to compare him to Von Miller, or any other football player for that matter, but he's very much into lifting by his own admission. Watch the Shiels interview and judge for yourself. When asked whether or not he would prefer lifting or range time he struggled with giving a straight answer.

As I mentioned in the original post, DJ is also known for his fitness regimine but he appears to go about it differently because even he isn't as bulky. The bigger question is whether bulking up in general is beneficial for the golf game of a PGA tour player, and I'm struggling to see how it is.

And for the freakin record, I've spent plenty of my own time in the gym lifting with the goal of achieving a physique very much like his. I have also suffered injuries mainly to my neck and back just like some of these guys. I never wanted to be huge, I just wanted to look better mainly. Jason looks great in my opinion (clothing choices aside), but that's not the point.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

This again?

Jason Day is listed at 6' and 195lbs. He's basically the same size as I am. I lift weights and I run. I'm in pretty good shape.

No one has ever suggested that the reason I didn't play well was because of my obsession with weightlifting and how jacked I am. There are a few reasons for that. 1. Because no one but me cares how I play. 2. Because I'm not jacked. 3. Because it would be ridiculous to think that staying in decent shape is bad for an athletic endeavor.

I think the people who are suggesting that Day, Rory, whoever are jacked may be confusing being big with wearing tight shirts. Maybe all along it's been the epidemic of tight shirts that has been causing all this bad play!

+1 I would say Tiger was more jacked but he wore looser shirts and 90's-2000's baggy pants.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

Day is bulkier than the vast majority of guys on tour. That's just a fact. This is all relative, fellas. I'm not trying to compare him to Von Miller, or any other football player for that matter, but he's very much into lifting by his own admission. Watch the Shiels interview and judge for yourself. When asked whether or not he would prefer lifting or range time he struggled with giving a straight answer.

As I mentioned in the original post, DJ is also known for his fitness regimine but he appears to go about it differently because even he isn't as bulky. The bigger question is whether bulking up in general is beneficial for the golf game of a PGA tour player, and I'm struggling to see how it is.

And for the freakin record, I've spent plenty of my own time in the gym lifting with the goal of achieving a physique very much like his. I have also suffered injuries mainly to my neck and back just like some of these guys. I never wanted to be huge, I just wanted to look better mainly. Jason looks great in my opinion (clothing choices aside), but that's not the point.

Day is 6' tall, Dustin is 6'4". It's just how their body's develop really. Much harder for a 6'4 guy to look bulky

I think the weightlifting has everything to do with Rory's and Jason's short game decline. It seems to me that those are the factors holding them back - especially Rory and his putting.

I used to do a lot of power and olympic lifting. Got my clean and jerk and my squat to respectable levels, and my golf game was horrendous inside 50 yards. Since I've stopped, my short game has gotten back to what it was when I was a skinny little punk on the high school golf team.

I can't speak to Jason's routine, but rory looks like he does quite a bit of the power lifts. Those lifts make your muscles want to act like a trap door, and that isn't very conducive to the finer touch points required in golf.

Never heard this expression before. Could you explain in layman's terms? Thanks!

My golf game suffered immensely when I did the normal gym routine that most do. Bench, military press, bi's, Tri's etc... basically working the glamour muscles. It suffered less when I switched to the Olympic and power lifts. Deads, cleans, squats, clean and press, clean and jerk etc... but in both cases when I asked my muscles to perform slow smooth operations such as those needed for touch short game shots, they wanted to react like they were trained in the gym - explosively. That lead to chili dips and screamie neamies :). I am not discounting the merits of working out as it relates to golf. But my lifting will be done when the snow starts falling. Till then it's heavy bag work and stretching only.

I've seen Day hit more then a few non tour player looking short game shots lately, and I can't help but think he's altered his touch by bulking up.

Day is 6' tall, Dustin is 6'4". It's just how their body's develop really. Much harder for a 6'4 guy to look bulky

So you're trying to tell me it's a coincidence? Come on.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Dustin and koepka workout/lift together all the time and Brooks said they are always trying to outlift each other. I don't think their workouts are vastly different.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/golf/10-times-2017-us-open-champion-brooks-koepka-crushed-his-workouts-gym

Dustin and koepka workout/lift together all the time and Brooks said they are always trying to outlift each other. I don't think their workouts are vastly different.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/golf/10-times-2017-us-open-champion-brooks-koepka-crushed-his-workouts-gym

I recall a snipit of video during the us open showing them in the gym. DJ was doing dead lifts with a 45 plate on each side. That's very light. If they are competing, I'm guessing it's reps/duration.

I also recall a workout video that flashed on the jumbotron at the last cub game I went to showing Anthony Rizzo repping squats with 3 45lb plates on each side like it was no trouble at all. Big explosive muscles in baseball = dingers! Whammy!!

What people fail to understand is that lifting weights does not lead to "bulking up." Bulking up occurs when one eats at a caloric surplus. One can lift weights and gain strength, but not bulk up if they do not eat at a caloric surplus. If one thinks gaining strength can hinder athletic performance, I question their sanity. If one thinks bulking up hinders performance, that's reasonable, but blame the diet, not the weights. And I think guys such as Daly and Stadler show that size in golf is a relative non issue.

What people fail to understand is that lifting weights does not lead to "bulking up." Bulking up occurs when one eats at a caloric surplus. One can lift weights and gain strength, but not bulk up if they do not eat at a caloric surplus. If one thinks gaining strength can hinder athletic performance, I question their sanity. If one thinks bulking up hinders performance, that's reasonable, but blame the diet, not the weights. And I think guys such as Daly and Stadler show that size in golf is a relative non issue.

Bulking up is accomplished by the manner in which you lift much more then it is by caloric intake. DJ lifts like you described, Rory and Day have obviously lifted with the intention to grow bigger and stronger.

Bulking up is accomplished by the manner in which you lift much more then it is by caloric intake. DJ lifts like you described, Rory and Day have obviously lifted with the intention to grow bigger and stronger.

I think you're talking about strength vs. hypertrophy training. From my understanding, one can utilize either style and gain strength (strength faster than hypertrophy), but one will only gain weight if they eat at a surplus.