718 AP2 or AP3??

russian7

I bought AP3s 4-48 degree wedge. Coming from MP-64s. Been about 1.5 months. Mixed on them I think because of the initial fitting. They put me in PX 6.0 but that was too much shaft for my swing - only could get mid flight even though solid and straight. Went CTL 110 stiffs next on somewhat of a lark and that helped - brought flight up, could definitely play them but the feel was a little vague for me and really got some excessively high shots. I just put in Modus3 105 stiffs and had a few range sessions - very smooth and still high but not crazily so. I like the AP3s much more now but started a little negative and there may be a hangover of that feel thus far - but, committed to them now - they are my sticks for a few years. If I demoed this style of club more, I am almost certain I would have gone CF16. They don't look quite as good from the back but look good at address. Feel, to me, is on par or better, and they were easier to hit to me, and, I think longer.

AP3's are very good, feel good (not forged good but good), launch high as you like with the right shafts, are workable, forgiving, look great in my opinion - good sticks. My preference, now, having demoed more when in the rough honeymoon phase, likely would have been CF16s, but, AP3s probably will grow on me - it has just been a big shift from MP64s that I have been playing for about 3 years.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, getting used to the AP3's. I officially like them now. Forgiving, feel good, look good, can hit feel shots with them, the 48 is a great chipping club, yadda yadda.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I currently play 716 ap1. I hit the 718 ap2 and ap3 in edwin watts today. Also mixed in some 716 ap2.

Adjusting for shaft, I didn't love the ap3. The ap2 felt nice in both versions.

The ap3 had the negatives I associate w my ap1's - which is occasionally clangty - w none of the distance and launch positives.

I know titleist was trying to get the best of both products into them (ap1 distance and height, ap2 feel), but I think it went the opposite and got the ap2 lack of distance and ap1 harshness.

Just my 2 cts.

For the record, I love my ap1's, even tho the ap2 look prettier and feel smushier. The ap1 distance and high launch is pretty hard to pass up for a mid-capper of 2 yrs solid play.

A few have mentioned the Cally Apex forged. Apparently the latest release is supposed to be schmick. The TM 770's & 790's as well but none of these is really up my ally.

I have had the demo set of AP3's (AMT black S300 shafts) for a couple of rounds and aside form the distance gained (which varied a bit), I can't talk myself out of these.

Order now placed...

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Ap2 are forged of course and the ap3 are not if that makes a difference. If you want more forgiveness and stronger lofts then Ap3 is the one. Why bend the ap2's and change the bounce that was designed for them?

To those suggesting a combo set I think the 3 degree loft difference makes this not very workable in practice.

I made what some would think is a weird decision. I only play down to a 5 iron (57 years old, without the ss I once enjoyed) and play a 21 and 18 degree hybrids. I bought a set of AP2s and a set of AP3s. In the short irons, the really look quite similar over the ball. My reasoning was that when my swing is on, I would play the AP2s, 6 through PW and the AP3 5 iron. When my swing is off or I am playing a long course, I would throw all of the AP3s in the bag (which with a 48 degree gap wedge also requires different wedges. The key to blending the set for me was to strengthen the loft by 1 degree in the AP2s. Now, the AP2s start at 45 for the PW and have 4 degree gaps all the way down to the AP3 5 iron, which has 25 degrees of loft. The distances seem to be good so far and the 1 degree stronger loft causes no digging for me.

I was not sure how the experiment would turn out, but it looks like a very expensive, but great decision. The AP3s simply launch high and seem very easy to hit. The AP2s flight much better for me, cut through the turf and rough better and have the precision to them that one expects to see with a forged, player’s club. There is no doubt that the AP2s are more demanding, but they are a blast to hit, because of the feel and the look of the ball flight. They seem to zip to the target, whereas the AP3s have a high arc.

I played 18 yesterday and hit 14 GIR with the AP2/AP3 combo set. I used the AP3 5 iron on 3 holes. I have not even pulled the AP2 5 iron out of the plastic yet and it is unlikely that it will get much of a chance in the bag because the AP3 is so easy to hit.

I really could game either set and be happy and I am sure next year, both will be in the bag at different times. I had been on what seemed like an endless search for irons and I truly believe that my search is over. Maybe this discovery helps contrast the two a little bit and alleviates concerns about blending the two.

Interesting comparisons thorughout this thread. For example, I think the forgivenss of the AP3 over AP2's or Mizuno MP-64 is quite noticeable. It's borderline GI versus players' irons so the results seem obvious.

If and when the AP3 evolves into a forged iron I think it could really develop a position of dominance in the market. And my set of AP3's that I haven't even received yet will be in the BST.

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°

Go combo set! 3s 4-7 and 2s 8-PW... best of both worlds

I keep reading this and agree it's a good compromise. I don't want to open a can of worms because people feel strongly that resale shouldn't affect your purchase decisions but...

I find Titleist and to a lesser extent Mizuno are about the only club makers that retain significant value when you decide to sell & upgrade. If I buy a full set of AP3's and then upgrade when the 720's come out (hopefully forged), then I'll expect to get 50% plus back to offset the cost of the new set. I believe this is absolute fact in my experience.

So if I split a set, that also makes it much harder to get significant cash back towars the next. Especially in Oz where weight of numbers makes demand lower.

If and when the AP3 evolves into a forged iron I think it could really develop a position of dominance in the market.

I think this is guaranteed. Being a first gen, potential “tweener” club, Titleist prob didn’t want to go all in with forging this model in case it didn’t sell as well. They seemed to be in a weird spot where the AP2 is so popular on tour that they didn’t want to mess with strong lofts, but were faced with other co’s putting out great “players irons w/ tech” - miz MP-18 mmc, TM, cally apex forged. All great player profile irons with significant forgiveness, but most of these others have strong lofts compared to the AP2.

With the positive reviews on the AP3, I think the next gen will deg be forged.

I’m going with 4-7 AP3, 8-P AP2. More precision in the scoring clubs, more forgiveness in the rest.

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

I'd like to think this but if the AP3 is already taking AP1 market share as others have suggested, would that be a reason not to make them forged as a point of difference? That might figure in Titleist's overall maketing strategy...or maybe price point of the AP3's (which are an aesthetically beautiful club) might go too high forged?

I'd love to see the AP3 forged so these comments are a bit glass half empty of course.

I'd like to think this but if the AP3 is already taking AP1 market share as others have suggested, would that be a reason not to make them forged as a point of difference? That might figure in Titleist's overall maketing strategy...or maybe price point of the AP3's (which are an aesthetically beautiful club) might go too high forged?

I'd love to see the AP3 forged so these comments are a bit glass half empty of course.

I agree, the AP3 price per club is already at the AP2 price level. If Titleist were to use a forged face it would likely increase the cost closer to the level of the T-MB and I'm not sure that is where Titleist wants to position that club.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I agree, the AP3 price per club is already at the AP2 price level. If Titleist were to use a forged face it would likely increase the cost closer to the level of the T-MB and I'm not sure that is where Titleist wants to position that club.

If they make a forged AP3, they will call it C18 and charge plenty for it.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have AP3 4-7

AP2 8-PW

AP2 bent 1 degree strong

KBS C Taper Lite shafts

Obviously shafts are a personal choice but so far I love the irons

Very comparable to Callaway Apex, in my opinion

Almost got this exact setup, except that I liked the feel of the Modus 105S a lot more. Results were pretty similar though.

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

I was excited to order a set of AP3's, 4-P with KBS Tour S+ shafts (+1/2") from my local pro shop who I have a good relationship with.

The wait is usually about 10 days from the interstate Achshnet head office/warehouse. So I waited a fortnight, have kept a demo set (was lucky - the rep has been travelling) & sold my 714 AP2's.

Over 3 weeks later and there is no sign of them. Apparently the KBS S+ has to come from the US and they are in short supply.

Here we go. This is why I tend to use eBay US rather than buy locally. Arrive sooner and save a couple hundred $$ on near new as well. Sigh...

Was fitted this past weekend when the Titleist rep come to our club. The AP2's gave me the best numbers. I currently play the 714's and love them, and like the look of the new ones. I hit the AP3 as well but didn't see much distance gain like other have (2-3yds) but I couldn't stand the feel of the cast head. They launch easier, but a lot less feel and feedback than the AP2 so I am sticking with those. Might pick up a 5 and or 4 iron of the AP3 and try it out as a combo set.

Intersting comments - glad the AP2's worked for you. I liked my 714 AP2's but they seemed to compound matters when my swing was off (and I'm a mid handicapper like you at 13). What shafts did you base your impressions on?

I can understand your comments on AP3 feel but I think tha can be overcome with time. I definitely find them longer than the AP2's, and significantly. EVerything was a little better with the KBS S+ shafts for me too. Just looking to eliminate the more wild misses and AP3 does that for me.

Sold my 716 AP2s on the Bay for the AP3s after my fitting session and few rounds on course before my purchase. My AP3's are setup with i95 steelfibers in stiff flex. Been using them since the end of October with a week long golf trip in Florida mixed in. I must say they feel amazing out on the course. Turf interaction feel is much better then anticipated to me. The flight I get with these irons are just perfect for my game. I gained distance with these clubs but IMO the shocker for me is the AP3 non-forged heads feel just fine. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm a forged guy (716 Ap2, 716 MB, MP-5, MP-4, MP-33, MP-32, RSI TPs). I noticed some guys are are thrown off by the cast heads but just give them a twirl. I was pretty skeptical about these but now that i've had some serious time with them I'm having a blast.

It's only been a few months for me with these but so far so good and I consider myself a club enthusiast lol. Just wanted to give my 2 cents about the AP3. I left my purchase up to my club fitter this time around (have to stop the club whore in me). I was fitted for the 718 AP2s and T-MBs and chose the AP3s in the end. We'll see how long these stay in the bag. I went with gw - 5i set. Don't let the launch monitor and indoor mats determine this club for you. Try and get your numbers on screen and see if they translate out on the course. Best of luck on your purchases everyone.

TSR3|10.0|Tour AD-DI 6S TSi2|14.5|Tensei Blue 7S TSi2|21|HZDUS Smoke 6.0 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 5i & 6i|KBS C-Taper Lite S MP-18 SC (Mizuno Pro Limited Copper) 6-PW|KBS Tour S Vokey SM7 50.F Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 54.S Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 58.K Slate Blue|Modus 125 Scotty Cameron Tour Brushed Black CARBON Timeless Circle T 350G Pro V1X

Intersting comments - glad the AP2's worked for you. I liked my 714 AP2's but they seemed to compound matters when my swing was off (and I'm a mid handicapper like you at 13). What shafts did you base your impressions on?

I can understand your comments on AP3 feel but I think tha can be overcome with time. I definitely find them longer than the AP2's, and significantly. EVerything was a little better with the KBS S+ shafts for me too. Just looking to eliminate the more wild misses and AP3 does that for me.

Sadly, just the standard DG S300 is what works for me. I have had KBS before and liked them but they were a bit more inconsistent than the DGs. I ordered mine with the S400 TI because I think I will like the 2 extra grams, and if I don't then I will put the extra S300 shafts I have on them.

Hey whatever works for you bud - glad it's working out.

I noticed in the wind today that the demo set I have with the S300 AMT Black shafts were launchnig a bit high and being pushed laterally by the breeze.

WIll be interesting to compare when my new set arrives with the KBS S+ shafts.

Hey whatever works for you bud - glad it's working out.

I noticed in the wind today that the demo set I have with the S300 AMT Black shafts were launchnig a bit high and being pushed laterally by the breeze.

WIll be interesting to compare when my new set arrives with the KBS S+ shafts.

Please let us know if you notice any difference in launch and or distance between the AMT and KBS shafts.

Please let us know if you notice any difference in launch and or distance between the AMT and KBS shafts.

I'll be thrilled to post up my comments on that, just as soon as my AP3's arrive!!

I've had the worst experience that I've ever had with ordering anything new through a pro shop by a mile.

So about 4 weeks ago I place my order and a fortnight later (after asking where they were), the USA office informs the pro that they were unprepared for demand and have run out of KBS S+ shafts.

Another 2 weeks has gone by and the pro shop owner said there has been another delay with the upgrade of the MCC Plus4 grips out of the US, so they will be 50/50 to get here for Christmas.

An apology but no discount, no concessions, nothing...sigh

I'll be thrilled to post up my comments on that, just as soon as my AP3's arrive!!

I've had the worst experience that I've ever had with ordering anything new through a pro shop by a mile.

So about 4 weeks ago I place my order and a fortnight later (after asking where they were), the USA office informs the pro that they were unprepared for demand and have run out of KBS S+ shafts.

Another 2 weeks has gone by and the pro shop owner said there has been another delay with the upgrade of the MCC Plus4 grips out of the US, so they will be 50/50 to get here for Christmas.

I thought about the upgraded grips but was annoyed that they wanted full price for the grips. I just got the standard Titleist tour Midsoze grip and bought the MCC Plus4 online at a pretty good discount.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, my pro shop told me that the AP3 were taking much longer than the AP2. Not sure as long as yours are taking but longer than standard none the less. Was told mine were suppose to ship tomorrow. I leave on the 20th so hopefully shipping won't take a week.

This sounds familiar to me except I'm being told the issue is the Modus3 105 shafts. I ordered a set of AP3's at the end of October and my most recent update is that I'll be lucky to get them at the end of January. The expected ship date has now changed 4 times since I placed my order. I have received numerous apologies, but no discount. I was told Titleist will send me a couple of dozen golf balls for my trouble. Titleist and the retailer both suggested that the "solution" was to pick a different shaft and that would make everything better. I've never been a Titleist guy and after this experience I may never be again.

Ping G400 LST 8.5*
Ping G400 3W
Srixon Z U85 3 & 4 
Srixon Z585 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 58*
Odyssey Black Series TD #1W

I feel your pain mate. The issue is now the MCC Plus4 grips apparently.

I'm going to opt for a different grip and just get the things here!