2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Jordan Spieth vs Justin Thomas. Who has the best career?

Cwing

Over the long haul...Spieths game holds up a lot better than JT's but it's gonna be a fun rivalry between the 2 and others.

Like many people say before me, Spieth has the "it" factor where JT's strengths are typical of the modern pro where if they can drive it long and keep it straight they'll be in contention until the putter starts to get hot and that could lead to wins.

Spieth is so consistent because he's great at every aspect of the game so he will always contend even when he's not in form. Of course, having this type of game he will have many close seconds as evidnced from his career but over the long haul he will give himself more chances to win and will have the better career.

Besides, he's had a head start on JT already so he's gotta play catch up.

I would say Jordan only because of two reasons though I like Justin's aggressive nature.

First I think Jordan's swing is built to hold up over time better / less wear on the body. Second his PUTTING. When he is on he is on!! (I use the British Open as the example....falling apart then starts to make bombs which then his motivation / confidence kicked in) Any player knows an "average" day of ball striking can be a great round with a hot putter.

JT has a better A+ game because of length

Jordan has better A game and below

Jordan had a better career but JTs best 18 can beat Jordan's best 18.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I say Jordan will have better career for two reasons: mental advantage and workout routine.

Mental Advantage - Jordan seems to have a small fraction of the "Tiger mental game" among his competitors/peers. As previously mentioned in this thread, he is constantly year in and year out for past three years at the top of the leaderboard. Everyone expects him to make any putt within 25ft. Golf is 10% physical and 90% mental as we know. You do not need to look like a body builder. You need to be mentally tough which leads to point number two...

Workout Routine - It seems to me that Jordan's workout routine, or lack there of, is built for a longer career. Look at all the "current" greats - Tiger wore his body out by working out too much; Rory is already having body/back/rib issues yet we continue to see deadlift video after workout video (are we holding deadlift competitions on the first tee that I am not aware of? I HOPE I'm WRONG but I think his best days are behind him); Day is having body/back issues with a violent swing and heavy workout routine. Justin posts workout videos to social media. Physio is important but it has been taken to the extreme and the bad effects are coming forward. Stretching and light weight lifting are great for everyone in life and sports in general. In golf, everyone is currently OBSESSED with distance. How many injuries have you seen from Mickelson, Reed, etc.? How many great players and golf have we lost in the last 10 years to overworking their bodies? Can you imagine if Tiger's body and mind had held up? Maybe all those Seal Team workouts were not such a great idea? Maybe his physique in 1999 and 2000 was not too bad when he was blowing the doors off the competition? Would Tiger trade those Seal Team workouts and wearing his body out for five or more majors? What about Rory at 2011 US Open? Did he need to continue that physique path or do some more deadlifts? I think like so many Justin may not last as long do to workout routine and his violent swing, as already mentioned in this thread.

Do I want to watch these two battle it out into their 30s? Heck yeah! I hope they both have healthy long careers with no injuries and prove me wrong. Those thoughts are my $.02 and it will be interesting to see for sure.

From a pure talent standpoint, I think Thomas is better. But sometimes that doesn't translate to winning majors. Right now, the clear lead is with Spieth because of the lead in majors, but if that evaporates, i think Thomas could be the better overall career player because of total wins (if the major count is close between the two players)

Obviously both great players. I like Jordan though- he has shown resiliency this year and I think that will help carry his mental game over the span of his career. He will always be able to draw on that British open experience when he gets into tough spots. Thomas can hit the ball a long way- but his swing is so violent which could eventually lead to injury and swing changes. It will be fun to watch how things transpire.

JT seems more like Rory in my opinion. Streaky and when the putter is hot he can beat anyone out there. Also has the ability to just over power a golf course.

JS is one of the best putters week in and week out and seems to make so many 20ft putts its maddening to watch (and I assume play against).

I'll say the best career is gonna be the better putter, so JS

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I thought this would be a good conversation.

Who retires with the best career and why?

i really enjoy watching them both play but i would have to pick jordan because i think he will have a longer career. his swing is more feel and tempo based whereas jt rips and creates so much turn with his lower body. 20 years of putting that much stress on your hips knees and in JT's case ankles, eventually will take its toll. saw it happen with tiger and its been all down hill since his knee gave out. personally i would just love to seem them trade majors and have a maris mantle home run race but 30 years from now i feel the name spieth will be right there with hogan palmer woods and nicklaus. just my 2 cents

JT

Everyone on this thread saying his violent swing will not hold up.. Well, all the younger generations playing in junior now are gonna get longer than how the current pros are. I really think it's the swing that's evolving to hit it farther than how it was, with the help of various new technologies like slow motion videos and Trackman. That said, JS is the one who would feel pressured, not JT.

Personally, I dislike JS. To my eye, he takes long every now and then, whines all the time, and tries to make the playing party uncomfortable in way the opposing party would be bothered but still understand (IE. swinging club around making noises when the other one is preparing a shot, Matt Kuchar incident, yelling at his balls, telling his caddie to go pick up his ball; [if I was playing with him, I would've felt really weird with my caddie]).

I think those qualities of him will play to his disadvantage by his peers at one point in his career.

I'm not sure why JT's run is seen as a streak, 6 wins in a calendar year, with one major and contending in the US Open, it's a long streak. That's a good career.

These 2 guys could push each other to greatness. I think Speith may edge it and could win 10+ majors. His long game is underrated, and the rest is insane.

The best thing is they both look like they love what they are doing.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

JT has a better A+ game because of length

Jordan has better A game and below

Jordan had a better career but JTs best 18 can beat Jordan's best 18.

A lot of people believe this, but in reality, Justin has lower rounds because he has less shots than Spieth and fires at more pins. Jordan plays very strategically, plays for a lot of middle of the greens. This strategy is what accounts for few MC's and being in contention a lot. JT's strategy is what accounts for super low scores and wide margin wins, but also more MC's. Being so aggressive can get you into trouble and lose shots.

If Spieth played similar lines to JT, he'd have lower scores, but also miss more cuts like Justin. That would be silly though, because he can avoid mistakes and rely on his mid-range and lag putting, which is the best in the game. Justin doesn't have that aspect of his game, so he relies on trying to knock it in close, like Phil Mickelson. I don't think Phil trusts his lagging ability, hence why he tries to stiff most shots next to the pin. Of course, it also helps that Phil can get up and down from anywhere.

Spieth will have the better career because he gives himself WAY more chances to win that JT. Nobody else in the game right now can win when playing bad. Jordan is reminding me a lot of how Tiger played during the Haney years.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

My only concern with picking JS at this time as he has had some recent back 9 on Sunday mishaps. He recovered at the Open but ...... I not sure it undoes those demons.

And how long can you rely on knocking g down all those 20 footers?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My only concern with picking JS at this time as he has had some recent back 9 on Sunday mishaps. He recovered at the Open but ...... I not sure it undoes those demons.

And how long can you rely on knocking g down all those 20 footers?

He's won 3 majors and 11 PGA Tour titles total at 24. I think the victories and success can push away those demons...

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I think Jordan. I'm afraid that Justin, like Tiger in the past and now Rory and Jason Day has a swing that is going to be very hard on his body the older he gets. Also Jordan is the steadiest (and currently best on the planet) putter.

Vessel XV Cart White
Ping G430 Max 12* Ventus TR 5R

Ping G430 Max 3W Ventus Red 6R

Ping G425 4/5/6 Hybrid Regular 
Ping I525 7-U Alta Slate Stiff+1/4 Blue Dot Dot
Ping Glide 4.0 52/56/60 Steelfiber F3 +1/4 Blue Dot
LAB DF 2.1 Blue 35.5 67* 

Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star

Wish I had time to read previous posts and I will bet this had already been said, but nevertheless I see Tiger, Day and Thomas in the same class as for aggressiveness in swings ie. read violent bombers. I find Spieth somewhat under control in all aspects of his game and a hunger and champions way of willing a ball into the cup. Best long range putter on a consistent basis that I ever seen and with that swing I can see him simply being around for a longer time than Thomas. But so many other factors can come into play that no-one can guage, ie. marriage, children, health other than golf related (putting yips as age sets in...brrr.)etc. But all things being equal generally speaking I give the nod to Spieth.

Ping 410 9.0

Ping g425 14.5 3 wood 

New Level 21* bent to 20* driving iron

Taylormade M4 5 wood
Wilson Staff tour cb 5-7, FG tour v6 8-pw

New Level 902pd 5-pw 105 TT stiff (on their way)
Titleist sm7 50-10 F, 56-10 F, 60-8wedge flex
3 #7 style mallets: Taylormade, Cleveland and Tommy Armour

I gotta go with Spieth even though as a Bama alum I like Justin a lot and have been pulling for him. If they were both at one major or Jordan hadn't won the Open this year I'd be inclined to argue for JT based on his hitting talent. BUT consider...

1. Spieth is ALREADY an entire Hall of Fame career ahead of Thomas as of now. Thomas would have to win 2 majors and several tournaments just to get to where Spieth is now.

2. Spieth has proven his game travels. He's won and factored at the Masters every year he's played it. He's won the Open and finished runner up. Already got a US Open (though I have doubts on him winning another with his driving). No reason to think he can't factor at the PGA despite his negative comments this year. The only place I can think of he's never played well at a big event is Sawgrass and The Players.

3. Justin will need to prove the above point #2.

Spieth proved a lot to me this year getting another major so quickly and that 2015 wasn't a fluke. Thomas now has to prove the same thing - that he has some staying power (you too Jason Day).

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

JT has a violent swing IMO. Might have injuries in the years to come. But neither JT and JS seems obsessed with the gym, so that will keep them from getting further injuries from over training.

If they stay friends and fuel the rivalry, golf wins. It will be a good story for years.

It's good to see young winners who have fun and personalities. Ones who actually like the fans and understand how fortunate they are.

Neither catches Tiger in wins or majors, but I think Spieth finishes his career with at least 10 majors. He has that "it" factor that the most successful athletes seem to have in their arsenal. JT will win five majors before his career is done. Two more PGAs and two US Opens (because he has the length for both).

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour