2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Artisan Golf Wedges- Mike Taylor and the old "Oven" crew that made Tiger's clubs

easyyy

Pictures of the wedges in my bag can't be shared, unfortunately. I'm more excited to show them off than my children at this point. Watched Mike hand grind them over a beer (or five). If there's a grind you want, it can be done. The dual sole from the Engage series is an option, of course, just like any other Nike grind from the past.

As with any Artisan customer, there is now a player's book with my name on it. When these wedges wear out, they will be able to replicate down to the gram/millimeter. This is huge because having played these wedges, I cannot imagine going any other direction. They ruined the other OEMs and retail racks forever.

Can I ask you why you can’t show pictures of your wedges? Thanks!

The boys at Artisan were kind enough to make me something that they don’t want to open up. Handshake agreement to keep it tight.

i looked for the answer to this question somewhere in this thread, but gotta ask anyone in the know:

Are they averse to putting the loft stamping on the sole?

Is there some philosophical reason the stamps appear on the back of the face?

thanks

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I have been working with Mike on a LW. What a great guy! I can't get to Fort Worth anytime soon, so we have been working by-phone to get the grind right. I've sent him videos pitching, chipping, and out of the bunker along with pics of some divots. He's spent about 2 hours on the phone talking about my game, how I play shots, where I want to improve, etc. I'm really excited to see what he comes up with. I'll keep you updated!

How'd you get in touch? I've been hoping wedge production would get going but besides filling out that form I haven't heard anything.

I apologize, I just now saw your post. It was a "friend of a friend" deal, I'm extremely fortunate and grateful for how it happened. I think they are keeping a pretty tight circle of business for now. Mike mentioned they are still figuring out the supply side of things and hope to be able to accommodate more customers later this year.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

In progress…

I watched MT take these pics yesterday...... What a funny guy trying to get his camera on his phone open with his magnifying goggles he wears LOL.

Small world! How'd it look in person!?! I'm pumped.

Taylormade TP5

So I sent my email to Artisan about having a putter built on March 1st and got a email back on the 8th! When I saw the email come through my eyes lit up and I was super pumped! I replied back immediately that I was IN.

On the 9th I got off work early (very rare for me) and I went to the course to play a few holes, while on tee box my work phone rang and it looked like a work related number so of course I ignored it and returned to the tee box :rofl: .

After finishing my round I listened to the voicemail and come to find out it was John over at Artisan wanting to talk putters and get started on everything. I was kicking myself for ignoring that call! Well I waited through the weekend and when Monday came I gave John a call. First off I am pretty new to golf played every once and awhile in high school, but started traveling for work so needed something to do, I am no putter expert, I have never been fit for a putter or anything just hit whatever felt good and looked good. John explained his background a little, then went into the tech of the putter. The whole time I was kinda taking notes because I wanted to be able to research some of what he said and be able to remember some of the stuff.

The amount of tech that can go into a putter is just crazy! Then John asked if I was local to DFW area, I live in Fort Worth. He said why don't we just get together and get you fit into something that is going to make you better not just something that looks really good. That is what really got me wanting one of Johns putters, as a former college athlete I do not care about the looks of anything, I care about the performance, and performance is what drives John and the guys at Artisan!

So yesterday I showed up over at the as I call it now "Artisan Oven" around 10. Walked through the door and there was MT working on some wedges and jamming to some great music! I walked up and he introduced himself and we exchanged words and he walked me over to John's office and of course I had to wear my Nike Golf shirt. John walked me around showing me some builds they are working on some very nice builds going down!

We then grabbed some putters, went out to the green and got there right after they cut it so perfect timing. I hit 3 0117 heads, a flow style neck, plumbers neck, and mid slant, all 3 had different face milling and weights. We literally spent 2 hours hitting putts, talking golf and it was just a blast to work with John on something like this. We hit some shorter putts, longer putts, multiple times, John could sense that I tend to struggle as a putter, I just dont trust my line alot, he could tell immediately a top line was going to be the sight line for me, and said the flange line on my current putter could be the problem in not trusting my line, he also said just trust myself, trust my line and hit the ball confidently and the putting will turn around.

Overall what a incredible experience talking with John and Mike, hitting putters and getting something built to my exact specs from what John could see from me hitting putts, this putter is going to be completely performance driven as I said but also look incredible! I cannot wait to get this thing out and roll it and practice with it!

What I went with is something John said he has been wanting to do, but no one has asked yet. I listened to Johns idea, it clicked in my head and we just starting going crazy with ideas lol.

0117 headshape plumbers neck or as John calls it Bucket, slightly softened bumpers, Artisan gold finish, Top line, 340 grams. Some of the ideas John and I came up with I rather show in pics then talk about so just going to give the standard specs.

I have been working with Mike on a LW. What a great guy! I can't get to Fort Worth anytime soon, so we have been working by-phone to get the grind right. I've sent him videos pitching, chipping, and out of the bunker along with pics of some divots. He's spent about 2 hours on the phone talking about my game, how I play shots, where I want to improve, etc. I'm really excited to see what he comes up with. I'll keep you updated!

How'd you get in touch? I've been hoping wedge production would get going but besides filling out that form I haven't heard anything.

I apologize, I just now saw your post. It was a "friend of a friend" deal, I'm extremely fortunate and grateful for how it happened. I think they are keeping a pretty tight circle of business for now. Mike mentioned they are still figuring out the supply side of things and hope to be able to accommodate more customers later this year.

Saves me some money at least!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

In progress…

I watched MT take these pics yesterday...... What a funny guy trying to get his camera on his phone open with his magnifying goggles he wears LOL.

Small world! How'd it look in person!?! I'm pumped.

LOL all the wedges look amazing! Like unreal the finishes they are putting on these wedges! Just seeing that guy do his thing is crazy!

LOL all the wedges look amazing! Like unreal the finishes they are putting on these wedges! Just seeing that guy do his thing is crazy!

I saw some of their awesome finishes on Instagram, but I wanted plain raw. That was right up Mike's alley, he said he loves nothing more than a beautiful rusted raw wedge. My kind of guy!

Taylormade TP5

@mmhayden13 - Nice write-up man. I am excited to see the pictures of your putter!

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Any word on when they will start reaching out the people on the wedges wait list?

I asked mike earlier this week what the timeline looked like on forgings. Still a little ways out but it's with purpose. He said he wants these to essentially be the forgings he ends his career with. He wants them to be perfect. He said if they aren't right they are going back. Old school hogan company mentality. Rest assured when he is ready to roll the product will be perfect.

My wedge is complete and shipping today. I'll do a recap with detailed photographs ASAP.

Taylormade TP5

Can anyone who knows what these wedges and putters are running price wise PM me?

They've listed the starting price already, at $875, for the putters. Most of the customization is covered in this price. Depending on shaft, color (process), engraving, etc, your price may go up as mine did.

Can't speak to the wedges, unfortunately.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Yeah, I saw the putter price. If I was local and could go through the actual fitting process, I'd drop a grand! I'm Leary over the phone as I have no idea what to get.

I had a very nice Bettinardi and used it during a local putter fitting to get started in my own mind. Then John and I had many conversations where we discussed the details. Technical details like loft, lie, length and weight, and cosmetic details like shape, neck style, color, shaft, engraving, sight line/dot, etc. Admittedly, it's scary, but deep down inside, you know (or can figure out) everything you need. You'd be amazed the questions that John asks. Together, a putter can be envisioned.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Yeah, I saw the putter price. If I was local and could go through the actual fitting process, I’d drop a grand! I’m leery to try over the phone as I have no idea what to get.

Just the style and a plumbers neck in a dark finish with deep milling. Wider the blade the better. Haha

I was in the same boat but took video face on and down the line of my stroke. then talked with john for about 45 min about how I putt and the stroke as he saw it. went with his recommendations and couldn’t be happier!

Killing me and my wallet!! ?

I think you were looking for some reassurance about how difficult the process would be over the phone than you guys telling him how in-depth it is! lol

I've been down there about three weeks in a row now just going over things with Mike on my wedges and talking to John about headcovers and grips.

There are so many grind options it's ridiculous--just on one of the tables alone, there are about a zillion different options including wedges for Koepka, Fleetwood, etc. And in MT's office, there are kinds of goodies like Tiger prototypes, blade ideas, etc. I'm going to go with a four wedge setup since I've never done it before and want to give it a shot. When I talked to Mike last week he said he was cutting out my 58 because of the wedge I'm currently playing, which is awesome. There are all kinds of forgings in the back and it's just crazy what he's doing.

My putter is below and I couldn't be happier with it. It wasn't what I was planning on getting in terms of weight, milling, and appearance, but that was the one advantage of being close. I think I posted before but it's a 340g 0117 with a PN and blue bonnet finish. Right now there's a Golf Pride grip, but when I was in there yesterday talking to John I put in an order for a Best Grips leather grip in Navy blue with gray stitching. The headcover will be the same color combo so it'll be just like the putter.

These guys are really awesome and I'll probably stop in next week now that my Mizuno irons are in and I can get my new pipes (what MT calls shafts) installed.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

That is so clean!! Love it

Thanks! I wanted it very basic and simple; no details or anything!

Artisan Golf 0418

How did you decide on 340 grams? How long is it? What's the swingweight? Just curious. Thanks.

We settled on 340g after John watched me go through my putting routine and asking me questions about my thought process and everything. Length is 34.75" and I can't remember the swingweight. The best part, as others have mentioned, is the specs are already in the system based on my customer number (37) so it's just a matter of telling them what I want and away they go! And here's the photo you requested!

Artisan Golf 0418

i looked for the answer to this question somewhere in this thread, but gotta ask anyone in the know:

Are they averse to putting the loft stamping on the sole?

Is there some philosophical reason the stamps appear on the back of the face?

thanks

I don't think they are against it, but it is most likely just standard for the tour guys. If the sole needs to be changed a little here the stamping might be taken of when they grind it. When you look at the guys on tour that have custom wedges, most are hand ground then just stamped on the back to keep it simple.

Going into this season, about all I needed was a new LW. I was testing a few different manufacturers and grinds when Forth Worth Pro reached out to me and offered to put me in touch with Mike Taylor at Artisan. I knew about MT from his work on Tiger's clubs and The Oven trips; one of the trip-goers I respect spoke highly of him. So I dove in head-first!

Fast-forward 3 long weeks, and my Artisan masterpiece was delivered today.

29433304_857358120942_4001847343419064518_n.jpg?oh=aee1bc46a73cdca09d76ecbae2711e03&oe=5B28281A

I knew MT could make me anything to my heart's desire aesthetically, but I was most concerned about the grind. My short game, specifically out of the sand and pitches 15-30 yards was not good last year. I also struggled with the gap between my 54 and 60 (75-90 yards). First, MT explained that he doesn't like 6* between wedges. 5* is doable, but 6* can be too much at that top end, especially if you're ever hitting the 60* hard. We decided to go with 58* to accompany my 50-54 setup.

MT was extremely generous with his time. All-in-all, we spent about 3 hours on the phone talking about my game, how I play a variety of shots, what I struggle with, playing conditions, Tiger(!), etc. He asked me to send him videos of my chipping, pitching, and bunker techniques and photographs of my corresponding divots. He also wanted to see what I liked and didn't like in my previous wedges, including photographs. For example, my Callaway MD3 C Grind was a little too rounded on the leading edge and sat too high off the ground:

29425981_857362003162_5972391677591738326_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5a9eb6ac8fcc28ebb609373d830e22c2&oe=5B75E502

29469011_857362053062_6905763927032208247_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fa8cfa5356d9fc9acc6bedb3701330a8&oe=5B27D2F4

My older Taylormade TP was a better profile and leading edge height:

29511869_857362063042_6508266839750727808_n.jpg?oh=0ec15c1a1e695a131317c45537e13542&oe=5B2D19A9

29496373_857362058052_8174256347755890793_n.jpg?oh=898bd26b2f22ae94e5154907f7b0714f&oe=5B457CCD

MT explained that with my shallow AOA and simple action, I wasn't getting the "money grooves" on the ball easily when playing a higher leading edge. It was all very insightful.

In the end, he thought a "TW type neutral sole" with a "shallow bevel on the leading edge" would be perfect.

29425887_857361294582_6362819187849570324_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=432785e21baf35aa4108aa5f6fbe20f3&oe=5B3A1935

He was in constant communication, texting me progress pics during grinding and after he was satisfied.

29472663_857361309552_8789069248344615581_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f615863179973eadaf15f6c78198a632&oe=5B49098F

In the end, I think it turned out perfect.

The profile at address is perfect to my eye. And I loved the MT Grind and initialed serial touch!

29388973_857358125932_922166895072979196_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4ba1e5973f44c017cc5a407c62f4d470&oe=5B494A7C

29468981_857358115952_1248902505465888584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1a905c5ef1cd1042f02d433675da96c7&oe=5B3EC476

Taylormade TP5