2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Flattest 3-wood?

Obee

Lately there's all these threads about guys who can't hit 3 woods off the deck and band aid by or encouraged by others to use driving irons, 4 woods, hybrids, lie angle.

Most of the people (wrong) are propagating the issue.

It's a swing issue not an equipment issue; this is my personal experience and I have fitted others as well.

May be wedges and short irons I can see but a driver, 3 wood won't be as pronounce.

May be the flat clubs matches your swing plane but in my opinion, a higher ball flight is encouraged by a taller swing plane; ideal.

I'm 5-3 and play my wedges at 64* lie progression and hit a high 3 iron 200 yards; albeit thru swing changes and lessons with a swing coach that was inline with my goals.

Before that, some moron thought I should be playing a 62* lie wedge/cut 1" and it was horrible.

You don't need a flat 3 wood or driver.

OP is giving you 6 shots a side and you're telling him what he needs and doesn't need?

Echoing what others said - the Pro series from callaway (XR, X2) are super flat, and could probably be bent an extra degree or two by someone who knew what they were doing.

Might be harder with adapters as they can't be bent.

OP what do you have now that is close?

guys guys guys! I assure you that the OP isnt one of the " cant hit a a fairway wood off the deck" guys you speak of.... If you follow his tournament play this past season you would easily see that ... I get that you havent.... But i feel sure when i say that he is looking for something to give him a certain flight , or hit a certain window or turf interaction.. NOT a fairway he can simply elevate off the deck... when he said 4 degrees flat he knows thats what he needs..... Hes fine tuning not trying to get a 3 wood he can hit..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’m only trying to help out the guy; essentially saving him time, effort and money on a Ill fitted 3 wood he thinks he needs or everybody is propogating.

I’m validating my advice based on personal experience and from fitting many people.

I am firm that a 4* lie angle on a 3 wood is not significant gains as you claim it to be. If this was wedges and short irons lie angle argument; yes that’s is definitely critical.

As for NW and your entertainment despite you tempting me; do you truly believe NW cannot hit a 3W off the deck?

NW reasons rather it be personal or technical gains, are his own and not yours are mine; never mind being in the same league as you and I are.

Truly, a 3 wood is not for everybody but for those who can hit them, pick one that you like looking at and go for the green in two. I know what is like on the flip side playing par 5s in 3 and arguing on shallow face 3 woods, 4 woods, wedge wedge, driving irons, lie angle and non sense.

It wasn’t until I got my swing corrected that I can hit any off the rack 3 wood off the deck and even a driver off the deck.

I'm only trying to help out the guy; essentially saving him time, effort and money on a Ill fitted 3 wood he thinks he needs or everybody is propogating.

I'm validating my advice based on personal experience and from fitting many people.

I am firm that a 4* lie angle on a 3 wood is not significant gains as you claim it to be. If this was wedges and short irons lie angle argument; yes that's is definitely critical.

As for NW and your entertainment despite you tempting me; do you truly believe NW cannot hit a 3W off the deck?

NW reasons rather it be personal or technical gains, are his own and not yours are mine; never mind being in the same league as you and I are.

Truly, a 3 wood is not for everybody but for those who can hit them, pick one that you like looking at and go for the green in two. I know what is like on the flip side playing par 5s in 3 and arguing on shallow face 3 woods, 4 woods, wedge wedge, driving irons, lie angle and non sense.

It wasn't until I got my swing corrected that I can hit any off the rack 3 wood off the deck and even a driver off the deck.

What friend bladehunter is trying to tell you is that Obee knows exactly what he needs in a golf club, knows how to hit a fairway wood off the deck better than 99.9% of us and is only asking for suggestions about how to meet his specific lie angle requirement.

None of which stops the usual GolfWRX peanut gallery from opining on everything from favorite brands to swing advice to who knows what all...

• Haha 1

Yes, I get that part; the OP answered his own question and others have made suggestions.

My point was 4* lie change is insignificant for a 3 wood in case others are thinking in the line of “I can’t hit my 3 wood because I need a flatter lie angle”

Going flatter would lower the ball flight and encourage right misses.

I can counter the argument because I have gone thru his chapter personally and seen success with fitting others.

I don't know about ball flight effect in isolation but I do know for both drivers and fairway woods there's a certain point where I look down at some of these modern uber-upright drivers (and occasionally even 3-woods) and my brain sort of short-circuits. It's like, "That just can't possibly be right!!!".

May be wedges and short irons I can see but a driver, 3 wood won't be as pronounce.

May be the flat clubs matches your swing plane but in my opinion, a higher ball flight is encouraged by a taller swing plane; ideal.

I'm 5-3 and play my wedges at 64* lie progression and hit a high 3 iron 200 yards; albeit thru swing changes and lessons with a swing coach that was inline with my goals.

Before that, some moron thought I should be playing a 62* lie wedge/cut 1" and it was horrible.

I would imagine a lot of other people would say if your 5ft 3" and you need a 64 degree lie angle on a wedge, your swing is very upright, if not too upright.

i'm 5 10 and feel like i have to raise the handle on a "standard" 64 degree lie angle on a wedge

On a driver i agree lie angle doesn't really matter, but on a 3 wood, well it does to me.

And having an upright swing doesn't mean you will automatically get a higher ball flight

I am the same way, I need to check those out, thanks for sharing.

Also the Mizuno ST180 and JPX900 have pretty flat lies in the standard loft setting. I get my irons 4* flat minus 1/2" so lie angle in woods and hybrids has always been a touchy issue for me from a fitting stand point. With the Mizunos I always go a 1/2" shorter when custom order and that gives me another degree flat on top of the flatter stock settings. Also, with minus 1/2" they have always hit my D2-4 requests on swing weight with the proper shaft I order. Good luck OP

Hello there,

I'm 4 degrees flat and literally cannot find any OEM that has fairway woods that fit me. Other than Wishon or KZG, is there anything out there that I can try that is far flatter (or can be bent flatter) than the standard OEMs' stuff?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.

I had the taylormade M1 from 2017 and i found it to be a very flat club. I put it to the upright lie to make it more standard.

You do need toe clearance as the hands should be higher at impact vs set-up.

Dynamic fitting trumps static fitting. Video would be best.

A more upright swing encourages a higher ball flight which is evident in major winners both present and past.

Clearly I’m feeding crumbs even when dogs deserve bread.

I would imagine a lot of other people would say if your 5ft 3" and you need a 64 degree lie angle on a wedge, your swing is very upright, if not too upright.

i'm 5 10 and feel like i have to raise the handle on a "standard" 64 degree lie angle on a wedge

On a driver i agree lie angle doesn't really matter, but on a 3 wood, well it does to me.

And having an upright swing doesn't mean you will automatically get a higher ball flight

A more upright swing encourages a higher ball flight which is evident in major winners both present and past.

Clearly I'm feeding crumbs even when dogs deserve bread.

Are you Brandel Chamblee?

Many players will change their posture and as a result their swing, with any club that has an "off" lie angle. So even with a driver, where the loft to lie relationship is the least for shot direction,...it can make a difference.

A 60* lie angle driver, for a player who fits into flat lies with everything else, is not optimal. The look of a club does make a difference in how many will use it....starting with address

Clearly I'm feeding crumbs even when dogs deserve bread.

Are you Brandel Chamblee?

Him I can relate to. You, I cannot because we are not on the same plane of thinking.

Why would I explain further when one can barely grasp the concept of dynamic and equipment fitting?

There’s so many misconceptions and propagation is my point.

As others have stated, I think Obee knows pretty well what he needs regarding the specs on his equipment.

The flattest off the rack models I have come across are the Callaway Pro series in the X-hot/XR line and the M2 Tour fairway. Outside of that, you might have to go with a tour issue head that has a measured lie that is flat.

What are you using right now and what else have you tried so far, Obee?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

It's like whack-a-mole with troll fitters around here . Bang one and another pops up .

Look. Good Players fit themselves through trial and error 99% of the time . Obee is a great player. He knows what he needs . And if he wants it flatter he likely wants to eliminate the lefts and gain clean turf interaction. 4 degrees flat isn't even a number. His 4 flat maybe 2 flat to your idea of flat. Depends on what brand we are talking about.

I'm tall and play my irons upright but prefer my 3 wood laid wide open and a few flat. Why ? To keepthe lefts away and to hit a fade if I need to. I love my 3 wood. Literally my fav club now. Driver on the other hand I like face square and a little upright. Why ? To get the face squared up . There are no hard and fast rules. Everyone is different. And no one can fit a smart and good natural Player better than himself. Period.

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Obee,

Inexpensive and solid option would be to find an old Sonartec SS07 off the bay and get bent to your preferences. Hope you are doing well and find something to suit.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Callaway is your best starting point. XHot Pro, Razr X Black, etc.

Got a Callaway XR Pro 16 degree on eBay for $85. Fujikura Speeder 757 shaft. Played it yesterday and hit some of the best fairway wood shots I've hit in a long, long time. Was 245 to a back left pin on our 11th hole and hit it to 15 feet. Had to carry the ball 210, and I haven't felt comfortable carrying my curennt 3-wood any farther than that in the last couple years. I easily carried the XR Pro 225, which is a big deal for me. Will make several of the par 5's at my course reachable from the blue tees, and maybe even the golds in the right conditions.

Looking forward to showing Rickie a thing or two when he comes out this year! ;-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I looked and M2 tour is 56, regular M2 is 60

Yeah, that's a huge difference.

Lol, I'm short and I can't stand flat clubs.

4* flat is silly for a fairway wood.

I play my clubs flat and use the xhot pro from Callaway and it sets up perfectly for me. I HATE upright clubs with a passion.

I'm 6' tall and I'm 4 degrees flat. Go figure.

And it's certainly not silly if it fits your swing....

Lately there's all these threads about guys who can't hit 3 woods off the deck and band aid by or encouraged by others to use driving irons, 4 woods, hybrids, lie angle.

It's a swing issue not an equipment issue; this is my personal experience and I have fitted others as well.

OP is giving you 6 shots a side and you're telling him what he needs and doesn't need?

Echoing what others said - the Pro series from callaway (XR, X2) are super flat, and could probably be bent an extra degree or two by someone who knew what they were doing.

guys guys guys! I assure you that the OP isnt one of the " cant hit a a fairway wood off the deck" guys you speak of.... If you follow his tournament play this past season you would easily see that ... I get that you havent.... But i feel sure when i say that he is looking for something to give him a certain flight , or hit a certain window or turf interaction.. NOT a fairway he can simply elevate off the deck... when he said 4 degrees flat he knows thats what he needs..... Hes fine tuning not trying to get a 3 wood he can hit..

I've been busy so haven't checked in on this thread much, but wow. LOL.

Some people are just hilarious....

I've been busy so haven't checked in on this thread much, but wow. LOL.

Some people are just hilarious....

As with life, we just take the good with the bad. Enjoy the good, put the bad on our ignore list.

I'm only trying to help out the guy; essentially saving him time, effort and money on a Ill fitted 3 wood he thinks he needs or everybody is propogating.

I'm validating my advice based on personal experience and from fitting many people.

I am firm that a 4* lie angle on a 3 wood is not significant gains as you claim it to be. If this was wedges and short irons lie angle argument; yes that's is definitely critical.

It wasn't until I got my swing corrected that I can hit any off the rack 3 wood off the deck and even a driver off the deck.

You, sir, should not be fitting people. You need to back away from the keyboard and look at this thread in its entirety and question your entire golf-advice-giving life. LOL

I have a Ping i15 15.5*, that with it's very wide .350" hosel, which actually measures about .355",....I dry fit a Billy Bob's ferrule adaptor into it, and measured the lie angle at 55*.

I think most of the Ping series fairways have this size hosel, that will allow the use of this "angled" ferrule adaptor. Golfworks sells them

Guys, I get it and it’s fine that I’m not the same as you guys.

Again, 4* flat on a 3 wood is a misfit segment.

I’m no longer a scratch golfer because I’m successful in other areas of my life and career.

Get off your righteous high horse and don’t underestimate a 10 handicap. I’m justified by righteous judgement contrary to popular opinion.

I’m no longer a scratch golfer because I’m successful in other areas of my life and career.

I think I just threw up a little in the back of my mouth.

P.S. You’re not by chance related to Pepperturbo are you?

A laugh I desperately needed pal ! ?

Quick everybody hide before the turbo finds us ! I hear the Mini Cooper now !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My Ping irons are 2 degrees flat. So are my Ping hybrid and fairways. Ping will adjust lie on fairway metals, though I'm not certain of the max adjustment, so not sure if they can go 4 degrees.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball