2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Dg spinner wedge shafts?

Tnew23

I picked up some wedges with dg spinner shafts and have never seen them before. Does anyone change any experience with the Shafts? Do the shafts create to much spin on full wedge shots? I'm already too handsy with full wedge shots and have spun the ball back 20 plus feet on certain greens when I swing all out with my 60 degree playing urethane golf balls

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There core design is to produce more spin on less then full shots but they spin more overall as well

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

There are a number of threads on golfwrx discussing these shafts, but I'll give you my take...

I had them in both my 53* SW and 58* LW. According to True Temper, they can produce as much as 700+ rpms over a standard DG shaft. I never did a comparison on a launch monitor so I can't say what happened in my case with spin rates. I like the feel of the spinner in my LW, which I use a lot around the green for finesse shots. I rarely take a full swing with the LW. For the SW, I was running into the problem that, on full swings, I was ballooning the ball and coming up short on a regular basis. I've reshafted the SW with a standard DG shaft and haven't noticed the ballooning problem, nor have I found that I lost anything on the finesse shots with my SW. The LW still has the spinner in it, but I'm not sure how much the spinner matters for my swing.

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

I have one in my lob wedge. It brought down launch angle and does add spin on my 1/2 and 3/4 swings. I never go full tilt with my lob wedge anyways. There is a distinct kick or wiggle at impact. (note* I had a 56 with a spinner in it but I do sometimes use 56* with a full swing, so I opted to keep my standard x100 in them)

I use x100s in everything else.

these spinners are definitely a love/hate relationship type deal. if you can get over the feel of them they are decent...but not enough to say they are better than your standard s400/wedgeflex/anything else

Callaway Padadym Triple D 8* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Thanks for all the info I would never go out and buy them but recently bought a set locally that had Bridgestone wedges with spinner shafts in a 50, 56 and 60 degree. I currently hate my 52 degree and need a gap to bridge my 46 deg pw gap and my 56 vokey sm5. I have a 110+ driver swing speed and honestly swing way to aggressively with all my clubs including my wedges. I like the 60 degree and the bounce on it and could always use it for less than full shots and use my 56 for full shots but I would need to take only full swings with the 50 degree. I guess the only solution is on course testing but they need to be regripped and don't want to spend money on something I might decide is not right for me.

I've had one in a 58 degree wedge before. I found that it felt pretty good in that one, but I also never take full shots with a 58. I wouldn't put it in a 50,54 just because I don't think they feel a ton different than the normal S200s that I play in Vokeys. I have gotten so used to those, in fact, that I really don't see the need to mess with anything else in the wedges.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 7X

Callaway Ai Smoke 340 Mini 13.5 Project X Denali Blue 70TX

Callaway Apex UW 19 Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 85TX

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM10 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM10 56.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM10 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

So it's a low kick (bend point )shaft?

No, the narrow section just below the grip was designed to create a steeper angle of attack, producing more spin that way:

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

I am not a huge fan of this shaft. I generally like to stay with the same shaft all the way through the irons and wedges. The will be fine for shots around the green but nothing more. You’ll lose distance by creating too much spin. I also think the dispersion is loose on these shafts, so they go places you don’t want them to go. Not something I want on my scoring clubs

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Not a good shaft for anything over a half swing. Around the green if 700 RPM is a difference maker for you, practice with your wedges more. I pulled mine the same day I installed them. Gimmicky, loose, and not a solid performer for aggressive wedge players.

read no further . this post sums it up perfectly

73 hogan apex

ok, if this shaft doesnt work for you. as in ballon, come up short. it means you are a flipper. its made for a more hinge and hold type shot. I come from the balata ball era. 35 years ago, you were taught to hit the ball past the hole. and either spin it back a lot. or have a one hop and stop. if you have never played 18 holes with a balata ball, then you just dont know. modern urethane balls are dang near 40 or 50 yards longer off the tee, and at least 2 whole clubs longer with irons. but the modern ball has nothing i mean nothing in comparison to the spin of a balata ball. ask the Tex guy that plays with persimmon and balata balls still. he can tell you. the DG spinner will lower your ball flight, it will cause a modern ball to check, and is great for half shots. their are two different weights. and if you dont have the lighter weight in the SW and LW, then it will feel bad. ALSO remember, the no 1 reason a ball will spin back, is the slope of the green. it you are used to bouncing the ball in, and have it hop forward and stop. then this is not the shaft for you. balls will not spin back on a flat green, they one hop and stop.

when my two sons were getting out of high school about 10 years ago. I bought a sleeve of balata maxfli balls off ebay. so i told them i had them, and when we got to this par five. the green is 3 club green. with a hump and swale in the middle. the back is flat, the front is really steep. the pin was down in the swale. basically in the middle. so i stood at the 100 yard marker and and hit a lob wedge, a sw , and a knock down PW. the lob wedge spun off the front of the green and back down in the fairway halfway back to me, the sandwedge flew all the way to the pin, and then spun back after it hit the nob in the green to the front. the PW flew past the pin and one hopped and stopped. They couldnt believe their eyes. So they got to try it, after they both tried, all three balls had cuts in them, called SMILEYS. but this anecdote just tells you the DG Spinner shafts make playing wedge shots the way they used to be. nothing wrong with the shafts. you just have to play old style golf. not the modern way. also called course management

ok, if this shaft doesnt work for you. as in ballon, come up short. it means you are a flipper. its made for a more hinge and hold type shot. I come from the balata ball era. 35 years ago, you were taught to hit the ball past the hole. and either spin it back a lot. or have a one hop and stop. if you have never played 18 holes with a balata ball, then you just dont know. modern urethane balls are dang near 40 or 50 yards longer off the tee, and at least 2 whole clubs longer with irons. but the modern ball has nothing i mean nothing in comparison to the spin of a balata ball. ask the Tex guy that plays with persimmon and balata balls still. he can tell you. the DG spinner will lower your ball flight, it will cause a modern ball to check, and is great for half shots. their are two different weights. and if you dont have the lighter weight in the SW and LW, then it will feel bad. ALSO remember, the no 1 reason a ball will spin back, is the slope of the green. it you are used to bouncing the ball in, and have it hop forward and stop. then this is not the shaft for you. balls will not spin back on a flat green, they one hop and stop.

when my two sons were getting out of high school about 10 years ago. I bought a sleeve of balata maxfli balls off ebay. so i told them i had them, and when we got to this par five. the green is 3 club green. with a hump and swale in the middle. the back is flat, the front is really steep. the pin was down in the swale. basically in the middle. so i stood at the 100 yard marker and and hit a lob wedge, a sw , and a knock down PW. the lob wedge spun off the front of the green and back down in the fairway halfway back to me, the sandwedge flew all the way to the pin, and then spun back after it hit the nob in the green to the front. the PW flew past the pin and one hopped and stopped. They couldnt believe their eyes. So they got to try it, after they both tried, all three balls had cuts in them, called SMILEYS. but this anecdote just tells you the DG Spinner shafts make playing wedge shots the way they used to be. nothing wrong with the shafts. you just have to play old style golf. not the modern way. also called course management

LOL

• Like 1

Someone correct me if im wrong...but is this a real surprise? I dont think anyone should expect drastic amounts of spin change...increase or decrease from shaft changes. The real change in spim is from the head and loft. Want to change spin in a driver? Find a head with a different cog...change loft...etc.

Its no surprise the spinner can help spin a bit, but not drastically.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod