Ping G700 irons

i*windows

The G700 irons and the TM P790's look so much alike to me. Can anyone compare those two sets?

790's are much smaller when you put them side by side, 790's have less bounce and more play-ability, smaller top line as well. G700, read my post above-

"Playability" is in the eye of the beholder. I find the G700 to be great on executing any shot. They are great for point and shoot but also very easy to hit knock down shots, and draws. And probably the easiest iron I have ever been able to hit a fade or controled slice with.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indian or arrow? Maybe both.

I did get one lesson from a new instructor that has helped me. But using a ShotScope V2 and after at least a dozen rounds, I know that my averages for my G700 irons are on the order of 10 yards longer than my previous irons (more accurately, my previous multiple sets of irons). And I'm hitting significantly more greens in regulation. And yes, my handicap index is going down. So I'll let others complain about the size, sound, looks, feel, and whatever else. I'll just enjoy the hell out of them.

Now if only my putter was as well-behaved.

I was fit and ordered a set of G700 irons on July 4th and was told that they typically take 2 to 2.5 weeks for delivery. The shop called Ping today to see if they could get a build/delivery status update. They were told that some of the heads are backordered and not to expect delivery until the end of this month. Anyone else affected or hear anything about a G700 component shortage ???

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I bought mine in April and had them in 5 days. Obvious different month and situation. Sounds like they are selling well if backordered

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I bought mine in April and had them in 5 days. Obvious different month and situation. Sounds like they are selling well if backordered

I just hope that my order will not get delayed with all of the new i210/i500 builds. Without this unforeseen delay I would have received my clubs sometime during the next week. Just have to learn to be patient I guess which is not a strong suite of mine.

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

I was fit and ordered a set of G700 irons on July 4th and was told that they typically take 2 to 2.5 weeks for delivery. The shop called Ping today to see if they could get a build/delivery status update. They were told that some of the heads are backordered and not to expect delivery until the end of this month. Anyone else affected or hear anything about a G700 component shortage ???

When I bought mine a few months ago, it was a very quick turn around, and my setup does not fit any of the Ping "dot" chart.

I’ve been waiting over three weeks now! Hopefully soon!

I've been waiting over three weeks now! Hopefully soon!

I literally feel your pain. Please post here if you receive any additional delivery information.

Played out of my friends bag today (long story) and hit his G700 modus 120's. They are big, they are wide, they lack feel and they pretty much only go straight. Having said that, I can't believe how high and how far I hit these things. I am a whole club longer with these and hit the ball just as high. I can hit 4 iron off of most par 4s and never go deeper into my bag than that. But, cant stand to look at them and could never own them

I hit these things high & straight..... Keep them out of my bag!

Solid WRX logic

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I've had mine about 2 weeks now, 4-W, after playing Eye2s, Zing2s, i3s, i15s and i20s.

My ball striking is much improved with these, and I'm hitting it higher and straighter. I'd say longer too, but that's obvious since the lofts are much stronger on these than the older ones.

My only complaints are as follows:

1. A little too big and unwieldy for finesse shots around the greens - e.g. it's unthinkable for me to use the 7 iron from the fringe in this set.

2. The above and the stronger lofts have made my wedge choices more complicated - I ended up going with Stealth Glide 2s in 50 and 56. Still debating adding the G700 U Wedge and then changing the wedges to 54 and 60, but will play with the current make up for now.

I've had mine about 2 weeks now, 4-W, after playing Eye2s, Zing2s, i3s, i15s and i20s.

My ball striking is much improved with these, and I'm hitting it higher and straighter. I'd say longer too, but that's obvious since the lofts are much stronger on these than the older ones.

My only complaints are as follows:

1. A little too big and unwieldy for finesse shots around the greens - e.g. it's unthinkable for me to use the 7 iron from the fringe in this set.

2. The above and the stronger lofts have made my wedge choices more complicated - I ended up going with Stealth Glide 2s in 50 and 56. Still debating adding the G700 U Wedge and then changing the wedges to 54 and 60, but will play with the current make up for now.

Now that you've had some time to get use to your new irons - are you seeing any scoring improvements ???

Now that you've had some time to get use to your new irons - are you seeing any scoring improvements ???

My iron play is significantly improved and my confidence with them is much higher. Last time out I striped a 4 iron which has been a struggle in recent years with the other sets. So I am sure my scores will improve when the putter warms up.

My iron play is significantly improved and my confidence with them is much higher. Last time out I striped a 4 iron which has been a struggle in recent years with the other sets. So I am sure my scores will improve when the putter warms up.

I've been playing the Apex CF16's and have been dropping my longer irons in favour of hybrids over time. In the end the 7-iron was the longest iron I gamed. With the G700's I ordered 5-iron upwards believing/hoping the longer irons will stay in the bag. Depending on the quality of 5-iron strikes/consistency a 4-iron may be in my future.

For about 35 rounds I played a set of JPX 850 Forged and after 6+ years with various Ping G-types (G20, G30, then G) the ease of finessing little bump and runs and recovery shots around the greens with the smaller, thinner-soled player’s clubs was wonderful. And I was just about convinced that I was only giving up a trivial degree of full-swing pefrformance vs the G irons I was used to.

Just to be sure I was going to play my G irons for two rounds before making the switch to JPX permanently...

It actually only took five holes to realize there was going to be no switching to a thinner, smaller type of iron. The first four holes I was controlling my distance and direction noticeably better. And the ball just hung in the air forever off the 7 and 8 irons. Fifth hole was a long (for me) uphill Par 3. I pulled the 5-iron, basically trying to reach the front of the green and roll up toward the middle. Instead, I hit a high draw that almost hit the flag stick. It came in so steeply it stopped in about two yards, leaving a 10-putt from just past the flag.

You could give me a bucket of balls and I could not replicate that shot with any of the JPX 850 Forged irons. Just a totally different type of ball flight and control. So if I need to create something finesse-ish around the greens with my G 8-iron I can manage that OK maybe once a round. The payoff for huge, wide-soled irons comes shot after shot the whole round long.

I’d love to try taking that to the next level with the G700 butdon’t have a spare thousand bucks handy...and probably won’t have any time soon.

I already had the 456 irons and ordered then with the nippon Pro.I ordered the 789 the last part of June with the nippon shaft and got them in six days.

So excited! My G700 irons are scheduled to arrive tomorrow!!

Great news - looking forward to your thoughts.

Has anyone been fit with the TT xp 95 S300?

Why was it better for you than the Ping AWT 2.0 or the Modus?

Thanks

I can tell you why I was not fit into it if that helps. My previous set was Steelhead XR's and with the progressive COG in the scoring clubs the XP 95's helped with the extra height and spin. With the G700's the Modus 105 and TT XP 95 my peak height on full shots was quite a bit higher than I like, and the G700's which are already LONG, were even longer with the XP 95 and modus 105. But the spin numbers were great with the XP 95.

I ended up with the AWT 2.0 with my lofts 2° weaker than standard because those specs achieved the ball flight and spin numbers I was looking for.

Hopefully my clubs will be arriving sometime this week. It's always painful waiting for new clubs - especially when there are delays.

Has anyone been fit with the TT xp 95 S300?

Why was it better for you than the Ping AWT 2.0 or the Modus?

Thanks

I can tell you why I was not fit into it if that helps. My previous set was Steelhead XR's and with the progressive COG in the scoring clubs the XP 95's helped with the extra height and spin. With the G700's the Modus 105 and TT XP 95 my peak height on full shots was quite a bit higher than I like, and the G700's which are already LONG, were even longer with the XP 95 and modus 105. But the spin numbers were great with the XP 95.

I ended up with the AWT 2.0 with my lofts 2° weaker than standard because those specs achieved the ball flight and spin numbers I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, if you weaken the lofts, you increase spin and height. How do you find the ball flight, since also with normal lofts it is supposed to be very high?

The G700 looks intriguing, especially with the added distance.. which I need badly. However, I'm a little concerned about the size of the heads. I've been playing the Callaway Apex CF 16 and really like the way they play. I think the reduced offset works for me but they just don't give me the distance I would like to get. I recently got a set of Rogue X and while they are a club longer, they are hurting my dispersion. Too many shots going left probably due to the larger offset.

Just wondering if a G400 with power spec lofts would be more appropriate for what I'm looking for - more distance and not such a big head.

Hopefully my clubs will be arriving sometime this week. It's always painful waiting for new clubs - especially when there are delays.

Any update? Called customer support and they said the were waiting on the clubheads and mine were scheduled to be SHIPPED on August 8th. That is mildly infuriating since I ordered my clubs on July 3rd. Not to mention I had standard measurements, but custom shafts and grip size. I've been waiting so long I almost just want to cancel the order.

The G700 looks intriguing, especially with the added distance.. which I need badly. However, I'm a little concerned about the size of the heads. I've been playing the Callaway Apex CF 16 and really like the way they play. I think the reduced offset works for me but they just don't give me the distance I would like to get. I recently got a set of Rogue X and while they are a club longer, they are hurting my dispersion. Too many shots going left probably due to the larger offset.

Just wondering if a G400 with power spec lofts would be more appropriate for what I'm looking for - more distance and not such a big head.

G400 fly. Really long and high. And they are super easy to hit well.

I'm moving away from my CF16's due to the 10 to 12 foot distance loss over the off season. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 15 to 20 foot distance increase when comparing good strikes with both clubs. This distance pickup I mention is with the standard lofts.

Any update? Called customer support and they said the were waiting on the clubheads and mine were scheduled to be SHIPPED on August 8th. That is mildly infuriating since I ordered my clubs on July 3rd. Not to mention I had standard measurements, but custom shafts and grip size. I've been waiting so long I almost just want to cancel the order.

I haven't bothered to follow-up with my order status last Wednesday or Thursday. My order date was July 4th and the estimated delivery at that time was 2 to 2.5 weeks. Last week I was informed by the golf store that they are now expecting the clubs to be delivered by the end of this month due to a backorder of some of the club heads. I'm an instant gratification type of guy so this wait really is killing me. If your clubs are delayed until August 8th I suspect that mine will be also. Hang in there bud because I suspect that the wait will be well worth it.

I haven't bothered to follow-up with my order status last Wednesday or Thursday. My order date was July 4th and the estimated delivery at that time was 2 to 2.5 weeks. Last week I was informed by the golf store that they are now expecting the clubs to be delivered by the end of this month due to a backorder of some of the club heads. I'm an instant gratification type of guy so this wait really is killing me. If your clubs are delayed until August 8th I suspect that mine will be also. Hang in there bud because I suspect that the wait will be well worth it.

They are VERY backed up. Mine aren't in either and I'm the PING guy in our store! I know it sucks, trust me. I'm like you. I have to have it immediately, but have to simply wait my turn in line too. They keep running out of heads because they just didn't anticipate the demand. Scottsdale says they bump up the demand, then they run out of that. They're being churned out as fast as they can, then they need to be shipped. Hang in there. Our list of folks that have been fit is pretty long and they're waiting too. They are worth it. They're a bit on the loud side, but I didn't get tired of hitting 185 yard 7-irons. Not even a little bit. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm moving away from my CF16's due to the 10 to 12 foot distance loss over the off season. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 15 to 20 foot distance increase when comparing good strikes with both clubs. This distance pickup I mention is with the standard lofts.

I'm debating between the G400 and G700. From what I've read the G700 is a replacement for the Gmax (which I had and did not care for so I sold them to a friend). The G400 is the replacement for the G and more of a GI club as opposed to a SGI ( G700 ). I don't really pay too much attention to those designations. I'm more concerned with what the club can do for my game.

I'm 70 years old and have a slow swing speed. Didn't start playing golf till 3 years ago but I work on my game a lot and I want to play as well as I possible can. My biggest problem with my irons is distance. My 7 iron in the Apex CF 16 goes about 130 - 140. If I could add 5 - 10 years for all my irons, it would really help my game.

Just not sure if I'd be happy with the larger club face on the G700 because one of the things I like about the CF 16 is the smaller club face. Seems to help me hone in on making good contact with the ball.

I looked at both the G400 and G700 at Golf Galaxy the other day but did not have time to hit them. I know my specs, just don't want to make a mistake and get something that feels too big.