Ping G700 irons

i*windows

Has Crossfield's Titleist deal squashed his ability to get hold of these for a review. I'm jonesing here Mark.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I figured they would of started offering something forged by now.

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of golfers don't care if a iron is forged or not and Ping knows it.

That was more in regards to Pings penchant for experimentation and going against the status quo in terms of their clubs (performance above all else).

The Ansers of a couple of years back were forged, but I'd say they were a flop by Ping standards.

Has Crossfield's Titleist deal squashed his ability to get hold of these for a review. I'm jonesing here Mark.

They don't seem overly excited about these. Personally, I love the way they look--best looking SGI irons I've ever seen.

I've watched Crossfields reviews for years and always thought he was pretty honest..........but his obsession over the low spin of game improvement irons is becoming tedious.

When he hits a GI 7 iron that goes beyond his standard 160 yards he goes into a frenzy about the spin only being 6000 rpm instead of the 7000 he wants and thus the club goes 170 yards...........why he refuses to acknowledge that the 7 iron is no longer the 160 yard club is odd.........try an 8 iron and you'll find more spin/height and your "new" 160 yard club.

There a lot of players will benefit from these clubs.........like me!

I’m looking forward to Rick’s longer review and hope Mark does an outdoor review (and some comparison reviews) too.

I don’t think it’s fair to say Mark is now anti-SGI irons, but he does seem to place a lot of value on spin with them. He loved the Cleveland Launcher HB, which is SGI (and super ugly, IMHO - G700 looks waaaaaay better).

I’m going to hit these for myself and see if they suit me.

Why? Forged irons are different, but not better or worse. It's just a manufacturing process and material difference.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of golfers don't care if a iron is forged or not and Ping knows it.

That was more in regards to Pings penchant for experimentation and going against the status quo in terms of their clubs (performance above all else).

Ping built their reputation on casting and used to cast all iron in house till recently. Karsten manufacturing casts all kinds of things, golf is a small part of it.

That being said the Ping Anser irons were forged, and NOT really a big seller.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'm looking forward to Rick's longer review and hope Mark does an outdoor review (and some comparison reviews) too.

I don't think it's fair to say Mark is now anti-SGI irons, but he does seem to place a lot of value on spin with them. He loved the Cleveland Launcher HB, which is SGI (and super ugly, IMHO - G700 looks waaaaaay better).

I'm going to hit these for myself and see if they suit me.

I'm going to agree with you. Mark has given great reviews for some recent SGI irons. Like you stated the Launcher HB's and also the Mizuno JPX 900 hot metals. Mark is generally very supportive of Ping. I think for whatever reason he is just not a fan of these and that's not a big deal.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Anyone know when these will show up in demo carts ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I wish they'd compare spin preferences to lofts instead of numbered irons. If you want to say a 7 iron should spin around 6500-7000, why not say a 33-35 degree iron should spin at 6500-7000?

Of course the GI irons spin less, with the loft difference they're essentially 6 irons in a 7 iron's clothing. Instead of knocking them, use the 8 iron in a direct comparison. The M2 8 iron is 33 degrees compared to an AP2 at 34 degrees. Of course the shaft lengths are different, but it's a much more fair comparison when dealing with dynamic lofts.

The M2 8 iron and lets say AP2 7 irons are still going to be the same clubs you use on a 160 shot. So why compare apples and oranges?

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I've watched Crossfields reviews for years and always thought he was pretty honest..........but his obsession over the low spin of game improvement irons is becoming tedious.

When he hits a GI 7 iron that goes beyond his standard 160 yards he goes into a frenzy about the spin only being 6000 rpm instead of the 7000 he wants and thus the club goes 170 yards...........why he refuses to acknowledge that the 7 iron is no longer the 160 yard club is odd.........try an 8 iron and you'll find more spin/height and your "new" 160 yard club.

His criticism is more that the GI clubs are not consistent with distance front to back. Every 4th or 5th ball inexplicably goes an extra 10% further.

Correct. That might be an issue when hitting for the green, but as a high handicapper that is realistically only something I (as the target market for this club) do with 7i and up. For longer irons, extra length is welcome.

Different online reviews are reporting different outcomes for this. That suggests the real answer may be player and swing specific. I can’t wait to demo the G700 and find out for myself.

Hit one of these yesterday... hot like a hybrid. High flier, but like they say, it's basically through the window of an iron one-higher.

If anyone sees it and says "driving iron", smack them.

The acoustics were, shall we say, suboptimal to me. Some guys might love hearing a 7-iron crack like a driver, but it is quieter when you pure it. In a way, it's good feedback.

Overall, this one is going to appeal to many. It's the G400 with a hybrid spring. I think they're going to sell many 4-irons.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

His criticism is more that the GI clubs are not consistent with distance front to back. Every 4th or 5th ball inexplicably goes an extra 10% further.

I’ve never had a problem with “hot shots” from Ping irons........and I’ve played a lot of them over the years.........I did experience them with some Callaway’s

Overall, this one is going to appeal to many. It's the G400 with a hybrid spring. I think they're going to sell many 4-irons.

You’ve got me thinking of replacing my 5 Hybrid with a G700 5i.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

You’ve got me thinking of replacing my 5 Hybrid with a G700 5i.

I'm thinking the same thing. Replacing my G400 4 & 5 iron with a G700.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Ping now needs to take the G700 and squeeze it into the size of the G25 and then you might have me. I'm calling G500 right now.

I hope you are right. A "G500" with the size and offset of the G400 series with the look and design of the G700 would be great. Hopefully a 2019 release.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ping now needs to take the G700 and squeeze it into the size of the G25 and then you might have me. I'm calling G500 right now.

I hope you are right. A "G500" with the size and offset of the G400 series with the look and design of the G700 would be great. Hopefully a 2019 release.

That is honestly what I am holding out for. Would be PERFECT for so many players ranging from 5-20 HDCP.

Mr. Wolfe

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never had a problem with “hot shots†from Ping irons........and I’ve played a lot of them over the years.........I did experience them with some Callaway’s

I am still gaming the G20s and I experience the super-hot shot probably once a round. I think my particular model was notorious for it.

Hit 10 PWs in a row and 9/10 go 120 but that other will blast off to 130 and send you over the green.

I always just thought it was a G20 thing, but some have taken it a step further and said it is a Ping thing, not limited to a specific model, and others have taken it even another step further and said it is a GI thing not even limited to Ping.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Hey Guys - I got to spend about 30 minutes with a G700 8 iron off the mats yesterday in the golf shop. Ping has something going on here that I have not experienced before in an iron. Also I will give you a disclaimer, I have never hit PXG irons. Perhaps that product is similar, but at a 1/3 of the cost?

A little context before I preach - I like to try out irons. I have gamed Ping G5, G20, i15, i25, S57, Titleist AP1 and AP2 (multiple years for both models), and I currently have a blended set of Mizuno JPX 850 long irons and 850 forged short irons in the bag. When I made the move from the 714 AP2 to the Mizzy 850 line the goal was to find more forgiveness and not lose looks or feel. With young kids at home I just don't have as much practice time, but I still want to be competitive in the Club events. I am looking for point and shoot, with misses on the face not being very penal.

Coming from the Mizuno I think the look of these clubs is really good. They are bigger then my Mizuno clubs, but not a highly noticeable way. My biggest take away from hitting them was that I felt like I could swing fast. They really inspired confidence, between the louder thump and the ball sizzling off the face it felt like they were really encouraging me to swing fast (not hard).

While I was swinging these clubs in the shop two different guys came over and wanted to test it as well. They both pre-ordered full sets in the shop on the spot. I have never seen guys throw down for new irons that fast. One guy literally went to his car and pulled his clubs for trade in on the spot. I am not trying to say these are for everybody, but I would suggest that you try them out. The game is all about managing the miss and minimizing the mistake...perhaps these can help with that?

Nothing avail in my local pro shops yet......DAMMIT!

Nothing here yet either. I’m beginning to think it was all a photoshop hoax.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Thinking about checking these out with a 1˚ weak setup. Missing greens left and right is my kryptonite.

Mr. Wolfe

briefcase.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X