Ping G700 irons

i*windows

If ,as Rick Sheilds suggests, these also come in Retro Lofts : 4i=22° and PW =46° - then I would be really interested ,especially if Ping would also cut the shafts length by 1/2" and adjust SW.

We would be talking Mizuno Specs here.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been a Ping guy for 30 years. I am now 70 yrs old, and have not been too happy with the Ping G400 series, Just don't like the hollow sound on mishits.

Just demo'd the G700 and in my opinion Ping has hit a grand slam with these. They are a classy like super blade to me, and set up nice at address, no distractions, clubhead is very simple and classy looking.

As far as performance, comparing them to G400 irons, I conssitently hit them 8-12 yards further every time. The feel better, firmer, at impact, they sound better than the G400's (not as hollow or tinny sounding) and on off center hits I didn't hear the hollow sound I hear with the G400's.

Like I said, I am 70 years older and I am hitting the G700 7m irons between 155-160 yds consisitently. Pretty goof for an older fella!

I'm sold on them and bought a set, trading in my G400's. Have the graphite Alta CB shafts and they sure are pretty!

Excited as hell to play them!!!!!

Hey man, I'm the dude

Have said in other threads that I'm really happy with my G700s. I'm 66, 13 handicapper with knees aging faster than the rest of me. These clubs are longer than the norm for me. I usually hit a 7 iron about 150. Shotscope has my average at 160 over a good number of rounds. Yes, they are louder, but so is the sound of my shots hitting greens. Some whining about the appearance after a few sessions, but mine look fine. And since clubs are supposed to be hitting the dirt time after time, I don't expect them to be pristine. I just expect them to help me play better golf, and that they're doing.

Still enjoying my 700’s as well. I gained 7 yds over my old 7i at my fitting and the gains are still holding up on the course too. About a full club longer and gained a little accuracy too especially the 8i, 9i, PW and UW.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

This is a follow up to my post above. Before going out and hitting the new G700 set, I spent over 6 hours hitting the G700 demo set, comparing them side by side outdoors on a golf course. I compared G400's, G700's and my Mizuno JPX 900 HM's.

Glad I did this. Hitting on sims and hitting outdoors are 2 different things.

To make a long story short, after playing 18 holes and hitting 2 jumbo buckets of balls, I've decided that the Mizuno JPX 900 HM's will remain my "go to" set. I am keeping the G700's - just putting them in the closet as a back up to the JPX's, maybe evaluate them further down the road.

I found out that I hit them all about the same distance outdoors - the HM's with a slight edge, after 6 hours of golf. The MIzuno set, however, has the best feel and overall playability, vs the 2 set of Pings. I particulalry like the turf interaction of the JPX's vs both sets of Ping's, and the ability to hit hard pinch/draw shots, something that's my "go to" shot. I can control ball trajectory much better with the Mizuno irons. Hitting higher traj shots, as is a charactersitic of both the G400's and G700's is not something I feel comfortable playing on a regular basis, with the constant wind I have to play in on a daily basis (Nebraska) .......I can shape shots better with the Mizuno's. I'm much more comfortable with a deliberate lower traj shot, which I can easily do with the JPX 900 HM's, compared to the higher traj shots of the Ping's.

If I had to chose between the G700's and G400's, I'd select the G700's, because I llike the feel of the G700's over the G400's.

But, I'm sticking with my JPX 900 HM's.

Hey man, I'm the dude

This is a follow up to my post above.

If I had to chose between the G700's and G400's, I'd select the G700's, because I llike the feel of the G700's over the G400's.

But, I'm sticking with my JPX 900 HM's.

Thanks for the write-up. I am also a 900 HM player, and I also recently demo'd the G700 and G400 irons. Like you, I preferred the G700 to the G400. But I have been hesitant to drop the coin on a G700 set. The 900 HM's are simply great irons, and there is really no need to replace them with G700's. I still may order the G700's (same shaft, Modus Tour 105 stiff) if I get impulsive, but I really feel no need to.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

For those who have played/owned both the G400's and G700's. With respect to turf interaction/playability... are the G700's as good as the G400's, perhaps better, or are the G400's better ???

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I'll be going to a G700 fitting latter today to see how they perform. Was originally thinking of possibly a G700/i500 combo but after some soul searching I think that introducing the i500 at this stage in life may be the best move on my part. I'll be 64 shortly and the 700's will better suit my game now and in a few years time. I'm looking for consistency and more distance and the 700's should fit that bill nicely. I'm just hoping that the turf interaction will be good also - I didn't like the turf interaction very much on the G-Max irons.

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

OK went today and hit the G700's on GCQ. I only play graphite irons due to a tennis elbow issues so steel shafts were not even considered. I could game either the Recoil ES SmartWrap or the Alta CB from a feel perspective but my dispersion was much better with the Recoil SmacWrap shafts.

The sound is a bit loud and the toe to heel length is a little longer than what I am us to - but within a couple of minutes neither were a bother.

I was originally considering doing a G700/i500 combo but I liked the numbers and placed the order for them. They should be here sometime during the next 2 to 2.5 weeks. Looking forward to getting these babies on the golf course.

Has anyone played the Apex CF16 and how do the G700 irons compare feel wise, distance, etc?

Distance wise I would say the G700s are longer.

The CF16 definitely have a softer feel and a more muted impact than the G700s. The G700s will look quite a bit larger than a players iron as well, especially heel to toe. But I got use to that pretty quick.

My personal results, I get more height and spin with the G700s, but mine are bent 2° weak. They are a touch on the louder side, but not obnoxiously so on decent strikes. They do get really loud when hit way out on the toe, and on the toe is really the only time that they feel real harsh to me. They do provide enough feedback to where I can tell where on the face I hit, and they are extremely forgiving.

Has anyone played the Apex CF16 and how do the G700 irons compare feel wise, distance, etc?

Distance wise I would say the G700s are longer.

The CF16 definitely have a softer feel and a more muted impact than the G700s. The G700s will look quite a bit larger than a players iron as well, especially heel to toe. But I got use to that pretty quick.

My personal results, I get more height and spin with the G700s, but mine are bent 2° weak. They are a touch on the louder side, but not obnoxiously so on decent strikes. They do get really loud when hit way out on the toe, and on the toe is really the only time that they feel real harsh to me. They do provide enough feedback to where I can tell where on the face I hit, and they are extremely forgiving.

Coming from CF16's I just ordered my G700's yesterday after a launch monitor session - keep in mind that I have not hit the G700's on green grass.

The comparisons above fairly represent the differences that you can expect when comparing the two iron sets. For me specifically, I picked up an amazing 15 yards when comparing well struck shots between both sets. For me this is huge. The CF16's IMO are very forgiving, especially for their size - low and toe shots in particular. But the G700's simply take forgiveness to the next level with it's hollow body construction and longer heel to toe dimensions. The 700's feel good, but IMO the CF16's do feel smoother. Four words immediately come to mind with the G700's - straight, high, long and consistent.

Do yourself a favor and check these iron out on a launch monitor to see what they can do for you. The G700's are more than just a distance club. And to my eye they are the best looking GI/SGI iron available.

Just got a set of G700 irons (5-PW) with the Recoil ES shaft. Trying to adjust to them after having used Ping Karstens for many years.

How has the transition been going ???

Played out of my friends bag today (long story) and hit his G700 modus 120's. They are big, they are wide, they lack feel and they pretty much only go straight. Having said that, I can't believe how high and how far I hit these things. I am a whole club longer with these and hit the ball just as high. I can hit 4 iron off of most par 4s and never go deeper into my bag than that. But, cant stand to look at them and could never own them

Played out of my friends bag today (long story) and hit his G700 modus 120's. They are big, they are wide, they lack feel and they pretty much only go straight. Having said that, I can't believe how high and how far I hit these things. I am a whole club longer with these and hit the ball just as high. I can hit 4 iron off of most par 4s and never go deeper into my bag than that. But, cant stand to look at them and could never own them

I get it. I tried to talk myself out of the G700's because of the look, but in the end, my score is what matters most to me. Now they just look normal to me, but I had to get out of my own way just to put them in the bag. And now I am very happy I did.

I get it. I tried to talk myself out of the G700's because of the look, but in the end, my score is what matters most to me. Now they just look normal to me, but I had to get out of my own way just to put them in the bag. And now I am very happy I did.

The ugly girlfriend that puts out- I think we all had one of those~ lol

The ugly girlfriend that puts out- I think we all had one of those~ lol

We always called her the “Heavy Hitter”

?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Just got a set of G700 irons (5-PW) with the Recoil ES shaft. Trying to adjust to them after having used Ping Karstens for many years.

How has the transition been going ???

Still trying to get used to the bigger head, louder sound and less muted feel. It flies further and seems to be more forgiving. As I age I need all the distance and forgiveness I can get.

The G700 irons and the TM P790's look so much alike to me. Can anyone compare those two sets?

790's are much smaller when you put them side by side, 790's have less bounce and more play-ability, smaller top line as well. G700, read my post above-

For sure. P790's are roughly the same size as my Ping iE1's. G700's were significantly larger than the iE1's.

Apples and oranges really between P790 and G700's.

Both are excellent for their target golfer and may be the best available option depending on what you are looking for in an iron (not considering price).

Have had all 3 sets. Got rid of the G700's and now selling the iE1's and playing the P790's while I wait to see the i500's, but they will need to be special to get me away from the P790's. Never was a TaylorMade fan by they hit on something special with the P790.