Ping G400 Irons Finish

mcgeec79

My G700's came back from Ping today so I gave the 5 iron a Scotchbrite treatment (gray pad) with nothing else. The surface coating comes off very easily and I bet it was less than 5 minutes to do the entire head.

Don't mind the lead tape on the back, just added it to get the SW to D2 from the stock D0. Ping wanted $13.75/club to swingweight them, so I skipped that and just had them adjust to Orange Dot lie and 1/4 club weak loft.

Some before and after pics...

BEFORE

AFTER

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My G700's came back from Ping today so I gave the 5 iron a Scotchbrite treatment (gray pad) with nothing else. The surface coating comes off very easily and I bet it was less than 5 minutes to do the entire head.

Don't mind the lead tape on the back, just added it to get the SW to D2 from the stock D0. Ping wanted $13.75/club to swingweight them, so I skipped that and just had them adjust to Orange Dot lie and 1/4 club weak loft.

BEFORE

AFTER

Are these the scotebrite pads you used?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Brite-3-Pack-Cellulose-Scouring-Pad/1053709

I went to Lowes yesterday and picked up the grey 3m pad in the paint area that said "fine"

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19265/3M-Hand-Pads/3M-7448-Ultra-Fine-Hand-Pads?pricode=WB1233&gadtype=pla&id=S-19265&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2r6f2cbV2wIVmbjACh09iQpGEAQYASABEgJ7NvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I made a paste out of the barkeepers by adding a little water and then applied to the toothbrush going back and forth over both the sole and cavity side of my G700. That really did nothing in terms of taking the frosted finish off. I then used the gray 3m pad with the Barkeeper's Friend and that did help take the finish off the sole some but not completely. I can still see some marks. The cavity side, neither did anything to take the frost off. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. All I can figure is the pad I was using was too fine. I even tried some 2000 grit sandpaper and that did nothing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

BEFORE

AFTER

https://www.lowes.co...ing-Pad/1053709

I went to Lowes yesterday and picked up the grey 3m pad in the paint area that said "fine"

https://www.uline.co...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I made a paste out of the barkeepers by adding a little water and then applied to the toothbrush going back and forth over both the sole and cavity side of my G700. That really did nothing in terms of taking the frosted finish off. I then used the gray 3m pad with the Barkeeper's Friend and that did help take the finish off the sole some but not completely. I can still see some marks. The cavity side, neither did anything to take the frost off. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. All I can figure is the pad I was using was too fine. I even tried some 2000 grit sandpaper and that did nothing.

Use a green Scotchbrite. It's courser

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

BEFORE

AFTER

https://www.lowes.co...ing-Pad/1053709

https://www.uline.co...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use a green Scotchbrite. It's courser

I'll try that...darn another trip to Lowe lol

Ping 2023 Anser D

This is the gray one I used.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-gray-scotch-brite-ultra-fine-pad-07448/22980936-P

It is 800 grit. Green is 600 grit and is the general purpose one that you can find everywhere.

I would think the green would work a bit quicker and then finish off with the gray.

I found an old table that lays out the various types of pads. I would assume it's still accurate as I don't think the past have changed over the years

This is the gray one I used.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-gray-scotch-brite-ultra-fine-pad-07448/22980936-P

It is 800 grit. Green is 600 grit and is the general purpose one that you can find everywhere.

I would think the green would work a bit quicker and then finish off with the gray.

I found an old table that lays out the various types of pads. I would assume it's still accurate as I don't think the past have changed over the years

Interesting

Looks like I have the same pad as you. Did you press hard ? I swear I sanded the head for at least a couple minutes in the same spot and the frost looks the same.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Got the green pad and tried on the G700 UW I had been working on. It worked better on the sole and out on the toe end, but it won't budge the frosted finish on the face nor the back cavity area.

I grabbed the 7i and within a couple rubs the finish came right off on the sole and toe side of the club. The face and cavity area will not come off. I tried pressing lightly, firmer and for a couple minutes in one area, No dice. It's like the cavity and face have a thicker coating on my set.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Got the green pad and tried on the G700 UW I had been working on. It worked better on the sole and out on the toe end, but it won't budge the frosted finish on the face nor the back cavity area.

I grabbed the 7i and within a couple rubs the finish came right off on the sole and toe side of the club. The face and cavity area will not come off. I tried pressing lightly, firmer and for a couple minutes in one area, No dice. It's like the cavity and face have a thicker coating on my set.

Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It will remove the gray paint/coating from the face.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It will remove the gray paint/coating from the face.

Tried Bar Keepers last night with the gray 3m pad and it didn’t do a thing to the frosted finish.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I used the liquid Bar keeper's Friend and the green pad. Took it right off. Irons look so much better. They really should come that way from the factory.

I am going to try the liquid tonight. i used the powder with a little water last night to make a paste and it didn't seem to do anything on the UW I tried it on. I mixed it up like 3 different times and tried rubbing it with the gray m3 pad, a paper towel and a microfiber cloth.

Update though on the 7i.... I gave it another go round with the green pad and it's starting to come around. Will hit it with the barkeepers liquid tonight to see if it cleans up even more.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Before

146074ec35e5098bb0d372cb96f31c06.jpg

8548cd6889125290b56ea1f35016e524.jpg

3ed3911dbfa459ecfb6b94e84f3debad.jpg

After green scotch brite

fcbd23b25167d52fcef07959b700bf13.jpg

63f02b0da6bb4eca573c32afba718182.jpg

fc19eeda0e8e1ca5be7b206f50a83f43.jpg

Still having a hard time cleaning up the back cavity portion with only the green pad.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Automotive paint supply houses sell different grades of scotchbrite. A Maroon pad is a little rougher than a Green and worth a try. You can always use the Green, and/or Gray afterwards if you desire a finer brushed finish. Just remember to rub in one direction.

Automotive paint supply houses sell different grades of scotchbrite. A Maroon pad is a little rougher than a Green and worth a try. You can always use the Green, and/or Gray afterwards if you desire a finer brushed finish. Just remember to rub in one direction.

Thanks for the tip. I went and bought the liquid Bartenders Keeper and put a small amount on the green pad and tried rubbing the 7i cavity again. In my last pic above you can still see marks above the "Ping" in the back cavity area. Even with more scrubbing and the Bartenders Keeper liquid those marks are still there. I can't tell if the frosted finish is all gone and these marks are simply into the steel from bag chatter or if there is one last bit of coating on there that i can't seem to remove. They are not as cleaned up as Raedon's above then again maybe mine have been used more causing the chatter marks to be more permanent.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I have been getting PM's about what I did, so rather than respond individually I thought I would just post here.

I bought Green and Light Gray Scotchbrite pads (paint section) and Liquid Bar Keepers Friend (by the other cleansers) from Lowe's.

I originally cleaned up my 5 iron just with the Light Gray Scotchbrite pad only, but thought I would try the BKF for the rest to see if it speeds the process up. I don't know that it made it any faster, but seemed to make cleaning up the face a little easier.

I squirted a bit of BKF on a tooth brush and rubbed it all over the head. Then I used the Green Scotchbrite pad and just rubbed all the sides of the head (other than in the cavity area as that area seems fine to me).

That takes most of the BKF off and then I just used the Light Gray and rubbed all sides of the head.

Rinse with water and done.

You may want to tape off your ferrules as you can make some marks on them with the Scotchbrite when you are doing the hosel. I'll just smooth them up with some acetone down the road as it's hardly visible as the Scotchbrite pads are pretty fine).

I took the lead tape off at the range as I liked them better at D0 than D2.

Some quick pics of the finished set.

They look great - thanks for sharing with us.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Ping really eff'd that hydropearl finish up. Thank's Bubba - "water on the club face bro... no chance"

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Thanks to all the guys who posted their technique on how to remove the frosted finish as well as for posting pics.

I'll admit I was bummed in how my 700's were wearing but after the treatment really liking how they turned out.

Today at the range I looked down at my bag and thought... damn 700's, you sexy :)

lol

Ping 2023 Anser D

For those who are now gaming the G700's - what were your previous irons ???

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

For those who are now gaming the G700's - what were your previous irons ???

Cleveland 588 Altitudes.

Gained 7yds at my fitting with the 700’s and the adddd gains are holding up on the course as well.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I tried this on my i200 but I could not get the finish to budge at all. Used Bar Keepers Friend at the green pads but didn't make a difference at all.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I make a paste and the rub it on the iron with the pad but the finish is still there.

Thanks

Your pad may be absorbing the BKF. You should probably apply the BKF liberally to the club first with a small brush, and then use the pad for sanding. Not applying and sanding.

I really miss the finish they put on the old Eye2's and the Zings, or ISI's. My I3's had a good finish as well. The only thing that could screw them up was playing hockey on the driveway with them.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

BKF is only mildly abrasive and it breaks down quicky with scrubbing. The key ingredient is oxalic acid which helps eat off the face coating and brighten the metal. If someone is finding the coating is being stubborn I'd use some Comet or Ajax cleanser instead. That stuff is far more abrasive than BKF.

I was thinking that Comet or Ajax would be too abrasive and that's why guy's were using BKF?

The scotchbrite is far more abrasive than the cleanser is. I simply offer that up as an option for someone that can't seem to get the pearized finish off with normal methods using BKF.

BTW, BKF's active ingredient is oxalic acid. It brightens metal sort of like bleach on clothes. It's particularly effective on raw stainless steel clubs but also works nicely to remove the face coating and dark smudges.