2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

46 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

Anyone played Calgary Golf and Country Club before? Any thoughts? Advice? Got invited for an evening round next week by a work colleague. Pretty excited considering how private and exclusive it is. 

I have. It is good. The prestige is cool. The course, meh it is alright. The thing I like is it is actually pretty quiet for being in the middle of the city 

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

16 hours ago, Kale_m said:

I have. It is good. The prestige is cool. The course, meh it is alright. The thing I like is it is actually pretty quiet for being in the middle of the city 

That's what I would have guessed. Standard parkland course, but an elevated experience. Will be cool just to say I played it. 

10 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

We were able to get 9 in before that brutal storm. Shot a bogey free 2 under 33. Best 9 of my life. Doing it there was unreal. 

Sucks you only got 9 in. 

what you think of the course?

1st hole is kinda of dumb. Practice facility is meh. 

Tri-hot double wide 

On 6/30/2023 at 8:16 AM, Kale_m said:

Sucks you only got 9 in. 

what you think of the course?

1st hole is kinda of dumb. Practice facility is meh. 

Course was decent. Nothing overly memorable. The 7, 8, 9 stretch was pretty good. And a couple of the holes you get some great framed views looking back from the green to the tee. Straight holes, but beautiful framing. I was told a few times while we were out there that the back 9 was the better 9. Hopefully I'll get invited back. 

Conditions were mostly great. I think two of the greens seemed to still be recovering from something earlier in the year. But all the rest of the greens, fairways, tee boxes, rough, were wonderful. A big fan of how many trees there are, but also how open they still leave it. Not too many spots to get stuck under a tree because of how they groom them, as opposed to what you get at the munis. 

On 6/23/2023 at 10:16 AM, remlap13 said:

That's what I would have guessed. Standard parkland course, but an elevated experience. Will be cool just to say I played it. 

Great greens complexes (heard conditions on a few were bad to start the year), great par 3's 18 is awesome, 9 and 10 stink, its still my favorite course in the city. 

Edited by knock it close

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

8 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Anyone played Speargrass lately?  Have the issues on 18 been fixed?

I played it a month ago. 18 is back in play, no issues at all

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Olds, best conditions in all of Alberta. Hands down! 

Tri-hot double wide 

Random questions for upcoming trip.  Have one round arranged already with a wrx'er(not sure if he wants to be named so I'll leave it at that.)  So looking at filling in some blanks.

1)Is Heritage Pointe walkable?  I see they have a greens fee and then cart fee separate.

2)I'm a member at a private club here in Ontario, but I would certainly not call us a top tier club.  What are the chances of a call/email from my pro getting me on say Priddis Greens or Canyon Meadows? 

3)What course is Olds that @Kale_m is referring to?

4)We will be based in Langdon.  Are courses like Bearspaw so much better that it's worth the drive and additional greens fee compared to say Serenity.

5)Are the Serenity Courses walkable?

27 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Random questions for upcoming trip.  Have one round arranged already with a wrx'er(not sure if he wants to be named so I'll leave it at that.)  So looking at filling in some blanks.

1)Is Heritage Pointe walkable?  I see they have a greens fee and then cart fee separate.

2)I'm a member at a private club here in Ontario, but I would certainly not call us a top tier club.  What are the chances of a call/email from my pro getting me on say Priddis Greens or Canyon Meadows? 

4)We will be based in Langdon.  Are courses like Bearspaw so much better that it's worth the drive and additional greens fee compared to say Serenity.

Serenity is walkable yes. Easy walk 

heritage point me I would not walk. Lots of elevated tee boxes. And hilly

olds is in olds Alberta. I am in south calgary and it takes me just over an hour to get there, worth it. Great course! Small town vibe! Very friendly 

canyon meadows and priddis you will need to be invited by a member

serenity is a great course. I liked it over bearspaw 

Tri-hot double wide 

Just now, Kale_m said:

Serenity is walkable yes. Easy walk 

heritage point me I would not walk. Lots of elevated tee boxes. And hilly

olds is in olds Alberta. I am in south calgary and it takes me just over an hour to get there, worth it. Great course! Small town vibe! Very friendly 

canyon meadows and priddis you will need to be invited by a member

serenity is a great course. I liked it over bearspaw 

30 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

also try sirroco , also very very good! And in the south 

Tri-hot double wide 

31 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

If you are in langdon also play Speargrass. It is about 15 mins from you there 

Tri-hot double wide 

2 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

If you are in langdon also play Speargrass. It is about 15 mins from you there 

I played Sirocco last time I was in the area in the summer.  I do have Speargrass on the radar.  Was just wondering what the "levels" were and whether it would be a waste to drive to the west end of town.

And thanks for the other advice as well.  No need to get into all that other stuff then it seems.  Still debating about Mickelson National, but sounds like I'm surrounded by some good courses.

Edited by golfortennis

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I played Sirocco last time I was in the area in the summer.  I do have Speargrass on the radar.  Was just wondering what the "levels" were and whether it would be a waste to drive to the west end of town.

And thanks for the other advice as well.  No need to get into all that other stuff then it seems.  Still debating about Mickelson National, but sounds like I'm surrounded by some good courses.

Mickelson and Bearspaw are great courses but are priced on the higher end in the city.

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Random questions for upcoming trip.  Have one round arranged already with a wrx'er(not sure if he wants to be named so I'll leave it at that.)  . . .

No need to leave it at that.  Working on getting you on.  😄

Edited by Cruisin1966

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

10 hours ago, Cruisin1966 said:

No need to leave it at that.  Working on getting you on.  😄

Didn't want it to come across as advertising to get hold of you and start getting your inbox flooded with requests.  I don't take it lightly that nobody *has* to do anything like this for me or anyone else.

But now that the cat is out of the bag,  Cruisin has been most gracious in offering and arranging. 

18 hours ago, golfortennis said:

1) Desert/Heritage is walkable but not an easy walk, Pointe isn't walkable imo

2) Potentially I'm a member at priddis and have got reciprocal access through the club and know they do allow unaccompanied play occasionally so it could be worth a shot.

3) Olds is an hour? north of the city, I've always played there early in the year for qualifiers so its always cold and damp, I like the course but I don't think I'd drive for it, but I'm happy to hear its in great shape.

4) I dislike bearspaw

5) Yes

If you're out east in langdon I'd play speargrass to the south and delacour to the north forsure. 

• Thanks 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Hail storm cancelled my match at earl grey on monday which was disappointing as I haven't played there in years but hopefully I make it back out there at some point. Now that I think about it I don't think I've played a round of golf in July yet. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

So sort of a halfway report on this trip out to AB.   As my BIL and his kids live in Langdon, I took the kids out to The Track for 9.  I think there is some potential, and word is the new owners are trying real hard, but the lack of rain really hits them, because I'm told they don't have a real irrigation system.  Don't want to rip too hard because things take time to reverse.  Wasn't bad for 9 holes with a couple of kids who play golf only a little bit since they are busy with other sports. 

The next day my BIL and I went to Delacour.  This was a course I enjoyed.  We rode because my BIL's back is buggered up and he can't walk 18 holes.  BUt did see walkers and would have walked under different circumstances.  Didn't see any stupid holes.  The only one that got on my nerves was 17, and that was more to do with not being able to bring the cart anywhere near your second shot.  Some of the bunkers seemed a little light on sand.  Had a couple bounce back up and hit the ball, but otherwise real nice course.  Definitely a fun course as well.  Maybe when the longer stuff is lush it's a different story, but short of some water hazards, it took a lot to lose your ball.  Will definitely play it again next time I'm here, if not again on Tuesday.

Friday was a very nice day.  Cruisin1966 was gracious enough to have us out to Country Hills, the Ridge course.  Coming from Southern Ontario, there are many courses with the heights and the views like are offered here.  Front nine is played up on the hill, and back nine down in the valley.  Conditions were wonderful, pace was good(regardless of what some idiots said), and the course made you hit every club in the bag.  I especially liked the par5 7th, with the infinity type green, and the way you could swear you had 120 to the green when you were standing almost 200 yards out.  Our host could not have been better company.  Definitely maintains his WRX credentials, and showed some real nice flashes for not having played at all this year.  Hopefully he is able to get back out there regularly and play to his capabilities.  You can tell he has some game.  It was a great day all around.

Playing Serenity-Dancing Bull tomorrow morning.  Tuesday I'm up in the air about whether I play the other Serenity course, Speargrass, or go back to Delacour.  Certainly an embarrassment of riches for an area that has such a short season.        

• Like 1

Thought I had posted the rest but guess not.

Played Serenity Dancing Bull on the 24th.  There was confusion as to which course I was to play, but a little juggling got me at 7:39, and off I went solo.  Pretty much perfect.  Just over 3 hours, and only waited a couple of times for the twosome riding ahead of me(and that was usually for them looking for golf balls, I think generally their own, but I think there was some ball-hawking.)  Anyway, the greens were fantastic, fast and true.  The fairways had a bit of an issue.  I understand rain has been hard to come by, so can't knock it too badly, but there was a fair bit of what my brother in law calls foxtail.  Apparently very common in Alberta.  It was a real nice walk, so I can't complain very much.  A couple of holes on the back I might question, but overall a pretty good course, which I wouldn't hesitate to play again in a pinch.

I ended up deciding to play Delacour a second time for the following day.  For the price I liked Delacour better than Serenity, and I was turned off by Speargrass' requirement to ride. 

You guys definitely have an abundance of courses out that way.

Should also note that I took my niece and nephew to the range at Strathmore a couple of times.  Nice range(and hitting off grass), has a bunker to work with and a couple practice greens.  Wasn't a bad place to practice.  Probably better in Calgary, but coming from Langdon, a good place.  

33 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Thought I had posted the rest but guess not.

Played Serenity Dancing Bull on the 24th.  There was confusion as to which course I was to play, but a little juggling got me at 7:39, and off I went solo.  Pretty much perfect.  Just over 3 hours, and only waited a couple of times for the twosome riding ahead of me(and that was usually for them looking for golf balls, I think generally their own, but I think there was some ball-hawking.)  Anyway, the greens were fantastic, fast and true.  The fairways had a bit of an issue.  I understand rain has been hard to come by, so can't knock it too badly, but there was a fair bit of what my brother in law calls foxtail.  Apparently very common in Alberta.  It was a real nice walk, so I can't complain very much.  A couple of holes on the back I might question, but overall a pretty good course, which I wouldn't hesitate to play again in a pinch.

I ended up deciding to play Delacour a second time for the following day.  For the price I liked Delacour better than Serenity, and I was turned off by Speargrass' requirement to ride. 

You guys definitely have an abundance of courses out that way.

Should also note that I took my niece and nephew to the range at Strathmore a couple of times.  Nice range(and hitting off grass), has a bunker to work with and a couple practice greens.  Wasn't a bad place to practice.  Probably better in Calgary, but coming from Langdon, a good place.  

Yah almost looks like fescue patches invading the fairways and tee boxes. Couple stupid holes, well jsut 1 actually (13). Greens are always good There. 

delcour is a good track. Played it early June in a tournament and it was kinda rough then in some places, glad to hear it has come back (love their grass hitting area on the range) 

Tri-hot double wide 

Played Sirocco last night. Man I love that track.

found out that their pond they get water from is dry, so the course is firming up real quick! Still green, but it is getting firm. It played great last night but needs more water for sure! 

Tri-hot double wide 

McKenzie Meadows is pretty pure right now. Fairways and greens are as good as I've seen. New sand in the bunkers, so expect some brutal lies for the next bit as they get worked into shape. Very penal so avoid at all costs. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

• 1 month later...

Anyone playing golf here? 

scramble season for me 

competed in the plyr cup in Carstairs on august. 2 man scramble that we won by 5 shots. Loved the format. 

“Shamble” tourney at valley ridge yesterday. Came up 2 short of the win.

4 man scramble today at Speargrass

oct 1 have a 4 man at Sirocco that I am looking forward to! 

Golf game has been very consistent this year. Having at a +0.4 hcp most of the year. Played just over 50 rounds so far! 

Tri-hot double wide 

Won at carmoney monday, won at D'arcy yesterday, going for a trifecta at darcy on thursday. Coaching hockey has cut into my golf time so I've pretty much only played one other actual round of golf in the last 3 weeks. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62