Seller cancels transaction due to shipping cost of bag, acceptable?

Titleist_242

So if the seller had messaged the OP and explained that the shipping costs were too high, received a reply, and then refunded it would be okay?

But just refunding and giving an explanation was not okay?

How is the seller "running away from it" in this case?

What would not "running away from it" look like? Shipping it anyways?

He admitted he miscalculated the costs.

I may have to join the crowd calling people high horsed on this one. If I were the buyer in this case, I would literally say to myself, "Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

And I'd forget about it and that'd be the end of it.

Not running away from it would have been responding to the buyer when he messaged about the possibility of helping with the shipping costs. With the eventual goal of a solution that was fair and equitable to both. But that opportunity never came around because the buyer never received a response.

Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?

Yeah, buyers are going to get the message that their purchase is cancelled and say to themselves,

"Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Give me a freaking break.

Sure, that's what's going to happen. You may think many are on their high horses in this thread, but they've got a great view of your fantasyland from up there

You must have missed this part:

"I was shocked and embarrassed that I had miscalculated so badly. I contacted the buyer, explained my findings, apologized for not doing my due diligence, and refunded the payment. I only mentioned I would try to sell it locally because I could not imagine being able to ship it for a reasonable amount. I did not accept a higher offer or ignore the buyer and still have the bag in my possession"

So, as you can see he DID contact the buyer. He did explain his situation. He did apologize. And then he refunded.

This thread is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehole.

I'm not in fantasyland.

I'm in common decency land where if someone messages me and says "I'm really sorry but I found out that it's going to cost WAY more than I thought to ship this item and I'd much rather sell it locally if you'll understand" and believe it or not I'd say "It's okay, I understand. I'm not perfect either".

Did I ever say he didn't contact the buyer? No. I said he never responded to the buyer when the buyer messaged after the refund. A good seller trys to resolve the issue fairly, especially when the buyer is offering more on his end. Could they have made it work? Maybe, maybe not. But there was never that opportunity to find out was there?

You refuse to answer that part of the question. EDIT: sorry, you answered while I was typing.

I've never disparaged the seller. In fact I said I would do business with him. I said I think he made a mistake and handled it poorly. If that's being on high horse than so be it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Straightshot, give me a quick, honest answer. You've got solid feedback from your sells.

How would you have handled this situation as a seller?

As the seller I would have thoroughly researched the exact cost to ship the bag before I listed it.

It sounds like the seller did some research (using online tools) and somehow it came out way less than the actually cost.

I feel like I would have definitely gotten an accurate cost before listing.

If I was put in the position of the seller where I had already sold the club, I probably would have worked with the buyer to try to figure it out. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think I'd put myself in that position.

I've already said I think the seller made a mistake. He probably didn't handle it the BEST way either.

But from a buyer's standpoint I think it should be forgiven and should be a neutral feedback because it wasn't deceptive.

Why are you telling me I'm on a high horse then. You just said you would do exactly what I have been saying. You'd try to work it out with the buyer. Which means responding when he messages.

So if the seller had messaged the OP and explained that the shipping costs were too high, received a reply, and then refunded it would be okay?

I may have to join the crowd calling people high horsed on this one. If I were the buyer in this case, I would literally say to myself, "Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Not running away from it would have been responding to the buyer when he messaged about the possibility of helping with the shipping costs. With the eventual goal of a solution that was fair and equitable to both. But that opportunity never came around because the buyer never received a response.

Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?

Yeah, buyers are going to get the message that their purchase is cancelled and say to themselves,

"Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Sure, that's what's going to happen. You may think many are on their high horses in this thread, but they've got a great view of your fantasyland from up there

"I was shocked and embarrassed that I had miscalculated so badly. I contacted the buyer, explained my findings, apologized for not doing my due diligence, and refunded the payment. I only mentioned I would try to sell it locally because I could not imagine being able to ship it for a reasonable amount. I did not accept a higher offer or ignore the buyer and still have the bag in my possession"

So, as you can see he DID contact the buyer. He did explain his situation. He did apologize. And then he refunded.

I'm not in fantasyland.

I'm in common decency land where if someone messages me and says "I'm really sorry but I found out that it's going to cost WAY more than I thought to ship this item and I'd much rather sell it locally if you'll understand" and believe it or not I'd say "It's okay, I understand. I'm not perfect either".

Did I ever say he didn't contact the buyer? No. I said he never responded to the buyer when the buyer messaged after the refund. A good seller trys to resolve the issue fairly, especially when the buyer is offering more on his end. Could they have made it work? Maybe, maybe not. But there was never that opportunity to find out was there?

You refuse to answer that part of the question. EDIT: sorry, you answered while I was typing.

I've never disparaged the seller. In fact I said I would do business with him. I said I think he made a mistake and handled it poorly. If that's being on high horse than so be it.

Yes, you did say that. Read your own post again:

"Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?"

Straightshot, give me a quick, honest answer. You've got solid feedback from your sells.

How would you have handled this situation as a seller?

As the seller I would have thoroughly researched the exact cost to ship the bag before I listed it.

It sounds like the seller did some research (using online tools) and somehow it came out way less than the actually cost.

I feel like I would have definitely gotten an accurate cost before listing.

If I was put in the position of the seller where I had already sold the club, I probably would have worked with the buyer to try to figure it out. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think I'd put myself in that position.

I've already said I think the seller made a mistake. He probably didn't handle it the BEST way either.

But from a buyer's standpoint I think it should be forgiven and should be a neutral feedback because it wasn't deceptive.

Why are you telling me I'm on a high horse then. You just said you would do exactly what I have been saying. You'd try to work it out with the buyer. Which means responding when he messages.

I don't expect everyone to do exactly as I would do or think I would do in this case.

I've already said I think the seller made mistakes, obviously.

I just think he should be forgiven for them because he was apologetic and refunded the money.

Why should he be beaten up at that point? What more is there to it. We're supposed to nitpick every little thing he did wrong? I wouldn't like that done to me.

I'm not in fantasyland.

Yes, you did say that. Read your own post again:

"Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?"

Poor wording on my part. He didn't message prior to issuing refund. To my understanding the initial (and only) message came with the refund.

I should have clarified. He didn't contact the buyer to try and deal with the situation before just issuing the refund. But you're right, my mistake.

But, do you disagree with the statement, if he had explained first and the buyer would have been ok with canceling. Then no thread correct?

this was his initial message to me verbatim, "So I severely underestimated shipping costs. I have been to USPS, UPS, and FedEx. No place is under $60. The only course of action I see is to refund your money and offer my apologies. I will have to try and sell it locally."

"offering my apologies" isn't really an apology.. but again i'm nitpicking, and no that's not the 'only course of action', far from it.

I've done enough transactions on this site to understand that not all transactions are perfect but i've been understanding enough both as a seller and a buyer.

seller reached out and stated he didn't reply because he assumed I wouldn't take the extra $30 hit. i offered to send him $90 and cover the entire shipping costs on my account but no response yet so we'll see.

either way i thank everyone for their input.

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

Poor wording on my part. He didn't message prior to issuing refund. To my understanding the initial (and only) message came with the refund.

I should have clarified. He didn't contact the buyer to try and deal with the situation before just issuing the refund. But you're right, my mistake.

But, do you disagree with the statement, if he had explained first and the buyer would have been ok with canceling. Then no thread correct?

I agree with you that it doesn't sound like the seller made any effort to work with the buyer, and instead just issued the refund.

Once they saw the $60+ shipping price, I'm guessing the seller's mind closed to any idea of shipping the bag.

There may not have been a thread, I don't know.

I have nothing against you, deadsolid. Obviously. You seem like a deadsolid poster and seller.

I just think as perhaps a first time offender I'd cut the seller a break, that's all.

I think he should have eaten it and then learned his lesson on factoring shipping costs before posting the on BST. Good that he refunded immediately, but you already completed the transaction. He could have just as easily received a better offer and blamed shipping for cancelling yours. In short...I'd leave neutral to negative feedback.

I’ve sold drivers on here for $60 that cost $40 to ship. Problem is nobody would buy it for $100 even if I did factor in a worst case scenario shipping cost.

For something like bags I would probably change my normal policy to “buyer pays shipping”.

I think cancelling is ok because I’ve been in the sellers shoes. Luckily the guys I was selling to were gracious enough to send more money when they found out the shipping costs even though I did not ask.

Since the OP was trying to work w/ the seller it’s a bummer but I think you have to let it go this time.

Just my 2 cents. ?

-grant

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I think he should have eaten it and then learned his lesson on factoring shipping costs before posting the on BST. Good that he refunded immediately, but you already completed the transaction. He could have just as easily received a better offer and blamed shipping for cancelling yours. In short...I'd leave neutral to negative feedback.

I've sold drivers on here for $60 that cost $40 to ship. Problem is nobody would buy it for $100 even if I did factor in a worst case scenario shipping cost.

For something like bags I would probably change my normal policy to "buyer pays shipping".

I think cancelling is ok because I've been in the sellers shoes. Luckily the guys I was selling to were gracious enough to send more money when they found out the shipping costs even though I did not ask.

Since the OP was trying to work w/ the seller it's a bummer but I think you have to let it go this time.

Just my 2 cents.

-grant

Where are you shipping to that it costs $40 to ship a driver?

I have no problem with people taking me to task for my actions. I certainly don't expect everyone's opinion to align one way or the other. But when someone starts making assumptions about my motives or actions or how the communication between myself and the buyer has transpired, it only reinforces the keyboard courage mentality all too common today.

All I'll add is he is on the west coast, I am on the east. As cool a superpower as it would be to have, I can not respond to him in my sleep.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Shipping of a golf bag always throws people off. Recently, I sold a Sun Mountain bag locally. The reason I didn't sell online was due to the high shipping costs. I went online and calculated shipping with FedEx beforehand. Here's how the shipping costs shook out (I live in the Northeast): Major City about two hours drive from me - $26; Chicago - $51; L.A. - $85.

I have no problem with people taking me to task for my actions. I certainly don't expect everyone's opinion to align one way or the other. But when someone starts making assumptions about my motives or actions or how the communication between myself and the buyer has transpired, it only reinforces the keyboard courage mentality all too common today.

All I'll add is he is on the west coast, I am on the east. As cool a superpower as it would be to have, I can not respond to him in my sleep.

Did you research the cost of shipping prior to listing and price that into the sale of the bag?

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Did you research the cost of shipping prior to listing and price that into the sale of the bag?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1625224-seller-cancels-transaction-due-to-shipping-cost-of-bag-acceptable/page__st__60#entry17223648

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

He already said in his first post he got online quotes from all three carriers for dimension and weight.

I admittedly don't know the timeline. And if this was an overnight deal and the thread got posted before you got a chance to respond then I would recant most of my posts in this thread because my entire question of the thread was why didn't you respond to him when he messaged about helping with the shipping?

"i messaged him offering to work with him on the shipping costs but radio silence." From the OP. I believe you at least owed him the courtesy of a reply.

USPS Priority is crazy expensive these days for most packages other than Flat Rate boxes. UPS is much cheaper most of the time if the package is going very far and/or is heavy. Fedex is also cheaper, but Paypal doesn't have a Fedex connection so I rarely use that other than for ebay, which does have the link.

I've found USPS cost estimating to be spot on, but not UPS. That can get frustrating at times. I've gone so far as to build a few extra bucks into my selling price with the understanding that I'll refund the difference if there is any. Of course most people (especially here) are squeezing on price so many don't want to hear talk like this but some are agreeable.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

USPS Priority is crazy expensive these days for most packages other than Flat Rate boxes. UPS is much cheaper most of the time if the package is going very far and/or is heavy. Fedex is also cheaper, but Paypal doesn't have a Fedex connection so I rarely use that other than for ebay, which does have the link.

I've found USPS cost estimating to be spot on, but not UPS. That can get frustrating at times. I've gone so far as to build a few extra bucks into my selling price with the understanding that I'll refund the difference if there is any. Of course most people (especially here) are squeezing on price so many don't want to hear talk like this but some are agreeable.

I've actually slowed way down on my selling just because of shipping prices. It seems almost impossible anymore to send a driver and not have the measurements come back oversized.

Last bag I sent was via FedEx ground where I have an account, It still shocked me with how expensive it was.

slightly off topic...

can one of the more experienced sellers please explain why they don't just list as the cost of item plus actual shipping? or agreeing to split actual shipping?

more work?

buyers typically want a "total price" vs "variable price"?

it's just how it's always been done?

thanks in advance.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

slightly off topic...

can one of the more experienced sellers please explain why they don't just list as the cost of item plus actual shipping? or agreeing to split actual shipping?

Honestly...it's because (many) people buying here are incredibly cheap and want the benefit of a cheap (all rolled up) price!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

slightly off topic...

more work?

thanks in advance.

Only thing I can think of is needing two payments. Unless you do have the actual amount before you send it.

I'm not siding with anyone as I don't think it is all that big of a deal, Shipping a bag can be a little difficult to estimate as sending coast to coast (NJ to CA) can cost triple (NJ to VA). I'm sure once he tried sending and saw costs he didn't want to just give his bag away. I guess sometimes sellers have a line they don't want to cross for "eating it". I assumed a set of irons would be about $20 from jersey to Washington, turned out to be $38...yes I ate it because the clubs were priced high enough to not notice, but bags I'm sure being very oversized can be much different as shipping can cost almost as much as bag in some situations. I don't think anyone was done wrong intentionally in this transaction so really shouldn't be mark against sellers feedback.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Seriously guys? I can’t believe this thread is still rolling.

The only thing I can see that perhaps should have been addressed is the seller asking the buyer if he would consider covering some of the unexpectedly crazy shipping costs since it was going all the way across the country.

My guess is that the seller probably thought the buyer would be irritated that he was “changing the deal” after the fact, and get angry and say no. Instead of having an unpleasant conflict, he just decided to refund the the money, apologize, and move on.

I’d say this should be put to bed. Really. Using the microscope and tweezers to dissect it really isn’t necessary.

slightly off topic...

more work?

thanks in advance.

Because the shipping varies depending on where it’s going. You can’t know the actual shipping, unless it’s in a flat rate box, until you know the buyers address.

So it’s an extra step in the negotiations. God forbid we make BST deals any more complicated seeing as we have a new thread every day on disagreements.

By including shipping in your price the “deal” and the negotiations are simpler. It doesn’t matter where the buyer lives.....UNTIL IT DOES. Like here.

Seriously guys? I can’t believe this thread is still rolling.

The only thing I can see that perhaps should have been addressed is the seller asking the buyer if he would consider covering some of the unexpectedly crazy shipping costs since it was going all the way across the country.

My guess is that the seller probably thought the buyer would be irritated that he was “changing the deal” after the fact, and get angry and say no. Instead of having an unpleasant conflict, he just decided to refund the the money, apologize, and move on.

I’d say this should be put to bed. Really. Using the microscope and tweezers to dissect it really isn’t necessary.

Jag, the buyer actually messaged the seller asking about helping with the shipping costs but didn't get a response.