Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

He is THE slow player. Look at any thread on here about slow play and he's the guy cheering for 5 hour rounds and screaming that everyone else is wrong to want to play faster than a sedated snail.

Fast play is amazing. I can mark my ball, review my putt, take 2 practice swings, clean my clubs, lose balls, hit poor shots, take penalty strokes, shoot the sh** and never slow down anyone. Also, I play a lot of good golf when I'm not waiting around. Our foursome routinely plays in 3-3:30.

This whole argument that slow is better is just absurd. When is the last time you heard a golfer leave the course saying, "well that was fun but dude played way too fast"?? Never. The answer is never.

As a matter of fact I just heard a guy I was paired with this past weekend (someone I didn't know) say something almost exactly like that.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m guessing he’s also a slow player. You guys enjoy a nice, leisurely 4.5 hour round?

I'd much prefer to play in 3 1/2 hours every time, i've played walking foursomes in less than that quite often. But i am basically an adonis and my usual group is other able bodied sportsmen ....A lot of golfers are overweight slovenly messes, that's why they play golf instead of run spartan races. I don't think it's as easy to play in that time frame for everyone who plays the game to walk 8-10 kilometers briskly, as i wrote. I know a lot of guys who are in need of a massage after a round

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’m guessing he’s also a slow player. You guys enjoy a nice, leisurely 4.5 hour round?

I'd much prefer to play in 3 1/2 hours every time, i've played walking foursomes in less than that quite often. But i am basically an adonis and my usual group is other able bodied sportsmen ....A lot of golfers are overweight slovenly messes, that's why they play golf instead of run spartan races. I don't think it's as easy to play in that time frame for everyone who plays the game to walk 8-10 kilometers briskly, as i wrote. I know a lot of guys who are in need of a massage after a round

If they cannot play in a reasonable pace, maybe golf is not for them.

Reasonable is a matter of opinion though, and golf is a product. The people offering that product seem to have come to the thinking that 4-4:30 is reasonable

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Reasonable is a matter of opinion though, and golf is a product. The people offering that product seem to have come to the thinking that 4-4:30 is reasonable

I've thought for a while a course should cater to both types of golfers. If you're teeing off before 10a, it's a 3 golfer per group max and pace is locked in at 3:20. If you want to play more slowly, get the 10:08 so you can smoke cigars and complain about how golf is being ruined by "self-entitled speedsters".

I've thought for a while a course should cater to both types of golfers. If you're teeing off before 10a, it's a 3 golfer per group max and pace is locked in at 3:20. If you want to play more slowly, get the 10:08 so you can smoke cigars and complain about how golf is being ruined by "self-entitled speedsters".

I actually think that is a very good idea and would support that. It makes a lot of sense

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

He's an 'Adonis'. lol...

Please stop with the range finder.

I actually think range finders speed up play. No matter the skill level, people are going to want to know the yardage so it sure as heck beats walking off yards or fumbling with a cell phone for GPS info.

I would normally agree with you, but I saw a guy laser a point and then walk MAYBE 5-10 yards away and lasered again. That is excessive. You should be able to do that small of math in your head and be able to figure it out without having the use your range finder again.

I totally don't agree with that. I just played a course and we all suffered not having the distance because we all forgot our range finders. The course was not marked well at all, and we were just guessing, horrible.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Wow, a new Olympic sport, speed golf. Nah, no thanks. I hate slow rounds, but I also like to think out my shots and get into a rhythm as well. I do play better when the pace is moving well. Seeing a five some on the course does piss me off. I have also swung back and played extra holes as well, and I can think the golf cart for that.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I actually think range finders speed up play. No matter the skill level, people are going to want to know the yardage so it sure as heck beats walking off yards or fumbling with a cell phone for GPS info.

I would normally agree with you, but I saw a guy laser a point and then walk MAYBE 5-10 yards away and lasered again. That is excessive. You should be able to do that small of math in your head and be able to figure it out without having the use your range finder again.

I totally don't agree with that. I just played a course and we all suffered not having the distance because we all forgot our range finders. The course was not marked well at all, and we were just guessing, horrible.

Did you miss the part about him lasering a point and walking 5 yards to laser again? Unless you are a high level amateur or a professional, there is no need to laser twice within 5 yards. You didn’t have your rangefinder, that’s a completely different scenario....my issue wasn’t that he used his rangefinder. I’m all for distance measuring devices and use one myself. My issue is that he used it twice in a span of 5ish yards where the math wouldn’t be that difficult if you just counted your steps. And now that I think about it I think he walked directly right of his ball, didn’t got forward or backward.

Unless the golf course sets the expectations for its customers and is willing to work at it, it will never get better. Courses develop reputations and the ones that take pace of play seriously will get more play. Sniff out those courses and you will enjoy quicker rounds.

905 T Driver
MacGregor 693 3-wood
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi #2
Mizuno MP-18 SC, 3-PW
MP-T Raw Haze 56 & 60
Pixl CS putter

Got paired up with three guys I didn't know again today. They were not very good. And, surprise, the course was full on a beautiful Saturday morning/afternoon. Finished in 4:15. Some waiting. Nothing crazy. Could have finished faster. Could have been slower. But why complain?

Ummm, because this is WRX? So please complain and claim that it is killing the game.

He's an 'Adonis'. lol...

It's like TERMINATOR golf...lol.

I just finished playing locals and expected pace of play was 4 hours 45 mins. Threesomes fair weather light breeze. Personally I was a little shocked that was accepted, started at 9 signed the cards at 252. Almost 6 hours. Now I'm the guy that defends slower play, and for the most part I'm ok with it as long as you're moving along playing the game. Take all the time you want, but you better stuff it lol. The second playing partners start talking about pace of play, I know they're on the way down the leaderboard.

I just finished playing locals and expected pace of play was 4 hours 45 mins. Threesomes fair weather light breeze. Personally I was a little shocked that was accepted, started at 9 signed the cards at 252. Almost 6 hours. Now I'm the guy that defends slower play, and for the most part I'm ok with it as long as you're moving along playing the game. Take all the time you want, but you better stuff it lol. The second playing partners start talking about pace of play, I know they're on the way down the leaderboard.

Even the Pros would be frustrated with a 6 hour round. That seems really extreme, even for a tournament round.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Even the Pros would be frustrated with a 6 hour round. That seems really extreme, even for a tournament round.

Yeah I am not sure. Some guys I know would despise it others aren't bothered at all by it. It depends on the person, not saying either way is best. Only thing I can do is be ready to play when's it's my go, and zone out when it ain't.

Here is another probably unpopular solution:

If you want to take 4.5 hours or more to play a round, I have zero problem with that but you need to be allowing others to play through and maybe lot of others. I also have zero problem pulling into the middle of a group and asking first respectfully and if not well received telling them others are playing through!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Yesterday, I played a round and it took 5 hours...that's way too long. It was because of the 2 foursomes in front of myself and a couple that I got paired with. They were really slow all day. They did have a group in front of them, so there wasn't anywhere to jump ahead to. At some point on the back 9, the first group disappeared to the clubhouse, and the pace picked up a bit, but there was still a bunch of waiting. The group that was in front of the first foursome was nowhere to be seen all day, so I can't blame them for the slow play.

Between 6 warm up swings for a pre-shot routine and their driving all over the place looking for lost balls, we were waiting on every teebox and every fairway. It was a pretty terrible round...great weather though.

I don't care if people are good or bad, but don't be slow. I get that everyone on the course paid money to be there, but be considerate of everyone else behind you. Nobody wants to be out there for 5-6 hours. 3.5-4 hours is fine pace for a round of golf...4.5 is pushing it, but if there is some sort of rhythm to the round, it's tolerable. 5 hours is way too long.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Yesterday, I played a round and it took 5 hours...that's way too long. It was because of the 2 foursomes in front of myself and a couple that I got paired with. They were really slow all day. They did have a group in front of them, so there wasn't anywhere to jump ahead to. At some point on the back 9, the first group disappeared to the clubhouse, and the pace picked up a bit, but there was still a bunch of waiting. The group that was in front of the first foursome was nowhere to be seen all day, so I can't blame them for the slow play.

Between 6 warm up swings for a pre-shot routine and their driving all over the place looking for lost balls, we were waiting on every teebox and every fairway. It was a pretty terrible round...great weather though.

I don't care if people are good or bad, but don't be slow. I get that everyone on the course paid money to be there, but be considerate of everyone else behind you. Nobody wants to be out there for 5-6 hours. 3.5-4 hours is fine pace for a round of golf...4.5 is pushing it, but if there is some sort of rhythm to the round, it's tolerable. 5 hours is way too long.

Have you ever complained about golfers playing too fast?

Have you ever complained about golfers playing too fast?

Nope...never complained about that before. I'm all for ready golf...except when someone birdies or eagles a hole. They get the next box.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

The starter and marshals at "my" course, Rutgers University in NJ, are pretty strict. Pace of play is listed at 3:57 and when it gets busy they will run a tight ship. If a group is a hole behind they get no warning and are told to move up or get off. It has never taken me over 4.5 hours for a full round with groups ahead and behind. There are also no adult beverages allowed or drink carts so there isnt much to slow you down.

The starter and marshals at "my" course, Rutgers University in NJ, are pretty strict. Pace of play is listed at 3:57 and when it gets busy they will run a tight ship. If a group is a hole behind they get no warning and are told to move up or get off. It has never taken me over 4.5 hours for a full round with groups ahead and behind. There are also no adult beverages allowed or drink carts so there isnt much to slow you down.

And the course has more than half a million in deferred maintenance on its budget and annually receives to $100-250k (averaging here) in University support (subsidy).

Not picking on you, my point is there’s a reason your course can do this and most others (believe they) can’t.

I played behind a group who lasered shots from 20 yards....and.....get this......LASERED THEIR PUTTS!

I played behind a group who lasered shots from 20 yards....and.....get this......LASERED THEIR PUTTS!

Lol we laser putts all the time in our group...play a game called umbrella and one of the points is a closest to the pin. If it's close we measure with a tape, but typically laser does just fine

Lol we laser putts all the time in our group...play a game called umbrella and one of the points is a closest to the pin. If it's close we measure with a tape, but typically laser does just fine

So YOU'RE THE GUYS! LOL!

We play that game too. Never thought of using a laser to measure, we always just made use the flagstick. I'll have to remember that.

I've found if I get the first time and grab a second time at between 12-2, I can walk 36 holes and have a great pace for the first round and a decent 4 hour 15 minute second round. I haven't booked a time between 9:00-10:00 in the summer in a long time. If people either can't wake up and play first thing or won't, I suggest waiting until twilight.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II