Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

Whatever causes slow play, it should be dealt with. Whether it's a certain person, bad play, or simply too many people on the course, it should just be dealt with.

Unfortunately where I live, the muni courses are always packed and the tee time system is absolutely awful. Everyone calls in to one line, and if it's busy waiting for someone to make a tee time you just have to get lucky on the second call. The muni courses here also allow 6-somes to play. Nothing worse than getting behind a 6-some teeing off from back tees, who then drive the ball about 150 yards. I've just accepted 5+ hour rounds since I don't have the $20,000+ it takes to join a private club here.

And for all the talk that it's the boomers that slow everyone down, I've seen other generations equally slow or even slower. Got behind plenty of groups with young guys who looked like they had never even been to a driving range before, yet they decided to play go out and play 18 holes. If it takes you 7+ shots to get to the green, please don't spend 5 minutes putting for your triple or quad bogey.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing golf for almost 30 years and I am without question currently playing the best golf of my life at 45 years old. I usually break 80 and absolutely love the game like I did 30 years ago, but I am so frustrated by how long these rounds are becoming simply due to course mismanagement / disinterest.

I played golf yesterday and the round started off slow and got progressively worse. By the time we get to the 10th hole there is four groups on the hole (two on the tee box) and that continued on 11 & 12. At that point it took 3 hr 20 minutes to play 12 holes and judging by how it was becoming increasingly slower the final 6 holes would have certainly taken 2 hours no exaggeration.

When we were on 10 we realized that there was a fivesome three groups ahead. A couple of people called the clubhouse to complain and the marshall faked outrage about the whole thing when he knowingly let them go off that way. They did nothing about breaking it up even though they gave us the lip service that they were going to do something about it.

So I left after the 12th hole because the whole thing was ridiculous and I would have only been able to play 2-3 more holes anyways. I never would have imagined a 10am tee time would have been a 5 1/2 hour round.

Here is what pissed me off. When I left the 12th hole and headed back to the clubhouse it turns out that a really bad foursome and the fivesome behind them were holding up the whole golf course. There was only two groups on 16, a twosome on 17, and nobody on 18!!! So I played the 18th hole and left.

When are these golf courses going to get it in their heads that there is consistent money to be made on the weekend mornings if you run a tight ship? If word gets out that a quality gold course us having 4 1/2 hour rounds the tee sheet for Sat & Sun will be full by Monday evening and have plenty of repeat customers. I am really starting to believe that golf course mgmt are their own worst enemy in this matter.

I am seriously thinking about playing less golf because I am so tired of this crap. I love the game of golf. I love the decision making and creativity aspect of the game, but I am seriously getting turned off by this nonsense.

Am I wrong that golf courses are missing out on an opportunity to profit off the poor management of other golf courses? Hotels and restaurants that are well managed and offer quality service can stay in business for a long time. Have golf course mgmt just become indifferent to the whole thing, lazy, lack of true mgmt skills?

I have never worked in the golf industry in any capacity and do not care to because I just love playing. I may very well being missing something, or taking too simplistic of a look at the whole thing. Your thoughts? I am beyond frustrated.

Haggin Oaks?

Very funny. It was not Haggin Oaks. I moved to the Sac area from the east coast almost three years, played around 40 courses and have never played Haggin. Overpriced, overcrowded, and overrated. I used to go to the shoe shop where they sell grips and I was treated so badly last time I was there I will never go back. All I will tell you is it was a 90 minute drive from where I live if there is no traffic. I refuse to acknowledge the golf course if it means they profit in any way from someone reading this post and going there.

I have been playing golf for almost 30 years and I am without question currently playing the best golf of my life at 45 years old. I usually break 80 and absolutely love the game like I did 30 years ago, but I am so frustrated by how long these rounds are becoming simply due to course mismanagement / disinterest.

I played golf yesterday and the round started off slow and got progressively worse. By the time we get to the 10th hole there is four groups on the hole (two on the tee box) and that continued on 11 & 12. At that point it took 3 hr 20 minutes to play 12 holes and judging by how it was becoming increasingly slower the final 6 holes would have certainly taken 2 hours no exaggeration.

When we were on 10 we realized that there was a fivesome three groups ahead. A couple of people called the clubhouse to complain and the marshall faked outrage about the whole thing when he knowingly let them go off that way. They did nothing about breaking it up even though they gave us the lip service that they were going to do something about it.

So I left after the 12th hole because the whole thing was ridiculous and I would have only been able to play 2-3 more holes anyways. I never would have imagined a 10am tee time would have been a 5 1/2 hour round.

Here is what pissed me off. When I left the 12th hole and headed back to the clubhouse it turns out that a really bad foursome and the fivesome behind them were holding up the whole golf course. There was only two groups on 16, a twosome on 17, and nobody on 18!!! So I played the 18th hole and left.

When are these golf courses going to get it in their heads that there is consistent money to be made on the weekend mornings if you run a tight ship? If word gets out that a quality gold course us having 4 1/2 hour rounds the tee sheet for Sat & Sun will be full by Monday evening and have plenty of repeat customers. I am really starting to believe that golf course mgmt are their own worst enemy in this matter.

I am seriously thinking about playing less golf because I am so tired of this crap. I love the game of golf. I love the decision making and creativity aspect of the game, but I am seriously getting turned off by this nonsense.

Am I wrong that golf courses are missing out on an opportunity to profit off the poor management of other golf courses? Hotels and restaurants that are well managed and offer quality service can stay in business for a long time. Have golf course mgmt just become indifferent to the whole thing, lazy, lack of true mgmt skills?

I have never worked in the golf industry in any capacity and do not care to because I just love playing. I may very well being missing something, or taking too simplistic of a look at the whole thing. Your thoughts? I am beyond frustrated.

Haggin Oaks?

Very funny. It was not Haggin Oaks. I moved to the Sac area from the east coast almost three years, played around 40 courses and have never played Haggin. Overpriced, overcrowded, and overrated. I used to go to the shoe shop where they sell grips and I was treated so badly last time I was there I will never go back. All I will tell you is it was a 90 minute drive from where I live if there is no traffic. I refuse to acknowledge the golf course if it means they profit in any way from someone reading this post and going there.

well as they say in Boston ... WHell Alrighty Then

. . . _ _ _ . . .

. . . _ _ _ . . .

or also known as WH A T

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I also hate long rounds, especially when you have a wife and kids. I would never tee off at 10am and expect less than 5 hours. To get shorter rounds I do the following:

1. Play during the week.

2. Tee off before 8am on the weekends.

3. If I have to play public during peak I try to play somewhere a little more expensive as its usually less crowded.

4. Play private when I get an invite.

Thankful for a private club. A 4 hour round is long

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Used to hear the term "wide open" back in the day, haven't heard that for a while!

Due to the high prices and unbelievably slow golf in my area on the weekends, I choose to drive anywhere between 45 minutes to 2 hours away to play cheaper, better and more open courses!

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

I find it's not really a skill issue for pace of play. There is lots of people I have played with or behind who for sure are shooting in the 120s and have no problem keeping up. It doesn't help when someone takes 10 practice swings and then backs off the ball and starts their routine all over again. The munis that I usually play have around 8 minutes between tee times but I often see people teeing off as soon as the group in front is out of range. When this happens by the time you get to the first par 3 everyone has lined up and becomes a big mess.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

We played as a fivesome for the first time this year. Three hours and ten minutes to complete the round. Playing ready golf it can be done. The first group off every weekday usually has a fivesome also and even when we have three of us keeping up with them is difficult. I asked them how they play so fast and they stated they have played the course enough to know what they are going to hit before they get out of the cart, the other guy in the cart drives to his ball (no sticking around for player 1 to hit) and they have been known to have three of them the tee off basically at the same time. They are also very generous with gimmies. Another way to speed up play if in a riding cart is to not fiddle around putting clubs away after one's shot. It is much more efficient to do that as one is getting their club out for the next shot.

Personally, I think some of that is going a little too far (multiple players teeing off at the same time, hardly putting out) but people can learn from some of the things they/we do.

Part of the problem is course having tee times too close together 7/8 minutes apart. I played a course years ago outside Chicago that started with a downhill par 4 followed by an uphill par 3 with the tee for the par 3 almost immediately behind the 1st green and protected by a screen. The starter would not send you group off until the group ahead had teed off on #2. The course was well marshalled and you were expected to maintain that gap both in front and behind you such that you never waited on the group in front nor did the group behind ever wait on you. Some people complained because of not getting off right at their booked tee time.

Here’s another unpopular opinion...

Pushy fast players are just as annoying as the slow ones. Background: I detest waiting on every shot and any round over 4.5 hours. However, if my foursome is playing at our pace, waiting occasionally, a 4 to 4.5 hour round doesn’t bother me in the least.

What really burns me up is the twosome or “fast foursome” that thinks the rest of the golf course should bow down to them and their 3 hour round. They pick up six footers, barely stop walking to hit the ball, and act like everyone else is inconsiderate butt holes for not playing in 3 hours. I like to focus and actually enjoy my round, not have a speed race to see who finishes first.

I play in a money game with some pretty good players so we don’t look for golf balls very much but do take our time around the greens (that’s where you win or lose the money). We are never slow, but nobody will accuse us of playing fast either. It gets old having a group right on your butt all day, sighing, or standing hands on hips making it known that they are inconvenienced when we are right behind the group in front of us and there’s nowhere to go.

/snip

/snip

I second this notion. I played a course that I don't really like about a year ago with a friend. I don't usually like it because it drains horribly and is frequently boggy at the best of times.

Started at 7:30 and I think we were about the 5th group out. Things were going slow so I was talking to the other members and they were telling me that we were quick so I asked them how long do they expect to take. "4:30 to 5 hours is usually what we aim for". I was surprised. This course is shorter than my home course and expected time to play that is about 3:45 (though I budget about 4 hours on a full course because balls are bound to go missing). I'm not much of a clock watcher when I play but kept thinking "guys could we maybe walk a bit faster".

No round of golf needs to take more than 4hrs period. That's plenty of time to ponder you chips and putts. This has become learned from watching to much Professional golf on the boob tube. Here's a news flash, they play for millions of dollars in front of paying fans. We play for pocket change in front of the squirrels!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I always play weekends prime time and I usually an able to play in 4.5. Occasionally there's a round like this and I have to keep telling myself slow golf is better then no golf.

Living in orlando when it is slow it's usually the same response. There was an outing of 12,16 or whatever that's holding up the entire course. Seems to put the course in a tough position. Last weekend the Marshall apologized a ton and said they were considering throwing the group off the course. They never ended doing it though

Here's another unpopular opinion...

Pushy fast players are just as annoying as the slow ones. Background: I detest waiting on every shot and any round over 4.5 hours. However, if my foursome is playing at our pace, waiting occasionally, a 4 to 4.5 hour round doesn't bother me in the least.

What really burns me up is the twosome or "fast foursome" that thinks the rest of the golf course should bow down to them and their 3 hour round. They pick up six footers, barely stop walking to hit the ball, and act like everyone else is inconsiderate butt holes for not playing in 3 hours. I like to focus and actually enjoy my round, not have a speed race to see who finishes first.

I play in a money game with some pretty good players so we don't look for golf balls very much but do take our time around the greens (that's where you win or lose the money). We are never slow, but nobody will accuse us of playing fast either. It gets old having a group right on your butt all day, sighing, or standing hands on hips making it known that they are inconvenienced when we are right behind the group in front of us and there's nowhere to go.

I think most people would opt for the rabbits vs. the gambler's grinding over a 3 footer so they can take money off of their friends to stroke their ego.

No round of golf needs to take more than 4hrs period. That's plenty of time to ponder you chips and putts. This has become learned from watching to much Professional golf on the boob tube. Here's a news flash, they play for millions of dollars in front of paying fans. We play for pocket change in front of the squirrels!

There are a multitude of reason why some foursomes are simply not capable of playing in four hours or less. Different people are different.

**Unpopular opinion time**

Its all those darn baby boomers!! My father just retired, my wife's mother just retired. Both have picked up golf, both are terrible. Dad used to play, used to play with some very good golfers. Used to be a member out at Champions in texas, we still go see Jackie Burke every now and then. Still my father is slow as molasses and it isn't talking junk because he would 100% agree with me.

Its that time, in most baby boomers lives when they have decided to retire. 76.8 million of them flooding the courses. No where better to be than staring at the grass grow around the golf ball while they line up their putts.

Now i am not saying all baby boomers are slow golfers, but lets face it, to your average joe baby boomer who plays one week a month, a 6 hour round wont matter as long as they make the 2 footer for bogey they slaved over for 25 minutes to achieve.

Was my guess that the golfers holding everyone up from the OP were older individuals correct? I know the 2 groups ahead of me today, with literally 3 holes between them and the next group, were all baby boomers.

Its great for the young workforce, terrible for the 6 hour rounds we will have to endure.

Yeah, that's a generalization. I am a "baby boomer" and can make my way around the course expeditiously. I hit the ball, I find the ball, I hit it again. Not much to it. The other "boomers" I play golf with move quickly as well. Yes, there are "boomers" that play slowly, just as there are millennials who play slowly, high handicappers and low handicappers as well.

There is no one "group" that is the cause of slow play.

Exactly ! :D

Same as those going at or below the posted speed limit in the left PASSING LANE ! blocking miles of traffic.

Golf course mimic the traffic pattern on the roadway, those never learned the courtesy on the golf course probably behave exactly the same in other parts of their life.

If the golf course for whatever reason not making the rounds at a reasonable time for everyone then, I have a choice not to patronize that particular golf course and I will let them know why, all the way up to the top management + the ownership. Because the middle guys could really care less.

There are a few golf courses around here which I'd avoid even if that's the last place I could get a tee time. I'm too old to put up with the B.S. , time to move on to other pasture and spend my pennies there.

I hate people who try and race through every hole just as much as those who take their time. There's a middle ground called 'being normal'.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Pushy fast players are just as annoying as the slow ones. Background: I detest waiting on every shot and any round over 4.5 hours. However, if my foursome is playing at our pace, waiting occasionally, a 4 to 4.5 hour round doesn't bother me in the least.

What really burns me up is the twosome or "fast foursome" that thinks the rest of the golf course should bow down to them and their 3 hour round. They pick up six footers, barely stop walking to hit the ball, and act like everyone else is inconsiderate butt holes for not playing in 3 hours. I like to focus and actually enjoy my round, not have a speed race to see who finishes first.

I play in a money game with some pretty good players so we don't look for golf balls very much but do take our time around the greens (that's where you win or lose the money). We are never slow, but nobody will accuse us of playing fast either. It gets old having a group right on your butt all day, sighing, or standing hands on hips making it known that they are inconvenienced when we are right behind the group in front of us and there's nowhere to go.

Sounds like you'd be a nightmare to play behind. 4.5 hour round?!! Your group is the entire problem. Face it, you're a slow player...

Sounds like you'd be a nightmare to play behind. 4.5 hour round?!! Your group is the entire problem. Face it, you're a slow player...

That isn't what he said at all. Nice try through.

That isn't what he said at all. Nice try through.

Playing in 4 hours or less has nothing to do with skill and way more to do with being courteous to others. All of this said, it's not really the slow groups fault--it's on the course to push people along and enforce a courteous pace.

the starter at a muni close to me can't seem to properly gap the groups in-between teeing off on #1. it's more of "are they out of your range" type of play. by #4, everyone is waiting on the group ahead which turns into a 4.5hr round for a 6300yrd course. allowing a 4 or 5 group before the twosome? no marshal presence to move the pace along.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I tend to agree with this unless the course is an aberration where there's a ton of walking. For example theres a massive course around here with a lot of uphill walks and long stretches between holes. It would be tough to play in 4hrs walking just because it's a 7000yd course that's probably a 9000yd walk even in a straight line

But yeah a normal course. I agree....4 hours still gives you a lot of time to talk, putt everything out etc. I have played a few club championship rounds in 3:50 so i mean if that's possible it's hard to imagine why a fun round isn't

That being said, most courses allow 4:15 to 4:30 as a matter of policy, so if people abide by that i have zero issue. That's the course rules.....It's the guys who play in 5:15 and then act like "what, you have somewhere more important to be?" while they refuse to let you play through....And frankly even if they do let you play through, everyone should be aiming to play in the course recommended time. Otherwise you are the guy on the treadmill staying for 40 minutes when the sign says 20 per person, thinking it doesn't apply to you

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

**Unpopular opinion time**

Its all those darn baby boomers!! My father just retired, my wife's mother just retired. Both have picked up golf, both are terrible. Dad used to play, used to play with some very good golfers. Used to be a member out at Champions in texas, we still go see Jackie Burke every now and then. Still my father is slow as molasses and it isn't talking junk because he would 100% agree with me.

Its that time, in most baby boomers lives when they have decided to retire. 76.8 million of them flooding the courses. No where better to be than staring at the grass grow around the golf ball while they line up their putts.

Now i am not saying all baby boomers are slow golfers, but lets face it, to your average joe baby boomer who plays one week a month, a 6 hour round wont matter as long as they make the 2 footer for bogey they slaved over for 25 minutes to achieve.

Was my guess that the golfers holding everyone up from the OP were older individuals correct? I know the 2 groups ahead of me today, with literally 3 holes between them and the next group, were all baby boomers.

Its great for the young workforce, terrible for the 6 hour rounds we will have to endure.

Yeah, that's a generalization. I am a "baby boomer" and can make my way around the course expeditiously. I hit the ball, I find the ball, I hit it again. Not much to it. The other "boomers" I play golf with move quickly as well. Yes, there are "boomers" that play slowly, just as there are millennials who play slowly, high handicappers and low handicappers as well.

There is no one "group" that is the cause of slow play.

Exactly ! :D

Same as those going at or below the posted speed limit in the left PASSING LANE ! blocking miles of traffic.

Golf course mimic the traffic pattern on the roadway, those never learned the courtesy on the golf course probably behave exactly the same in other parts of their life.

If the golf course for whatever reason not making the rounds at a reasonable time for everyone then, I have a choice not to patronize that particular golf course and I will let them know why, all the way up to the top management + the ownership. Because the middle guys could really care less.

There are a few golf courses around here which I'd avoid even if that's the last place I could get a tee time. I'm too old to put up with the B.S. , time to move on to other pasture and spend my pennies there.

There are a couple of courses I avoid because of 5+ hour rounds...I am sure I am not the only one. When tee times are spaced eight minutes apart the round IS going to be slow. All it takes is one foursome to have a bad hole and everything comes to a screeching halt...not to mention that on most courses the marshals just drive around, rarely pressing a group to pick up the pace, or even skip a hole.

Got behind a fivesome walking Saturday and they could care less. Played today and wide open. I had to play hookie from work, but it was so worth it. Definitely doing this at least once a month. The guys I played with refuse to play weekends, longer rounds for more money, not happening.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set