Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste your breath (or typing fingers). Some take great pride in their intransigence.

I liked it, but had to look it up. :)

Kind of makes me wonder how many people with this quality are married?

Hell, my wife is always telling me that she would like to agree with me but then we would both be wrong.

Don't waste your breath (or typing fingers). Some take great pride in their intransigence.

I liked it, but had to look it up. :)

Kind of makes me wonder how many people with this quality are married?

Hell, my wife is always telling me that she would like to agree with me but then we would both be wrong.

My wife could agree with me but somehow I would still be wrong, and she would be right. LOL

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I really want to believe Amy Olson but after watching the video and also showing it to my golf buddy, it’s hard to accept her explanation. It was poor judgment to waive off Ariya’s marking of her ball & to chip up. Now there will forever be that suspicion of her integrity like Vijay Singh & Chella Choi.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Shilgy-

What says ye about this article ?

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/brandel-chamblee/intent-undermining-anchoring-rule

And this pic. This is an example of what I was talking about. You say intent doesn’t come into it. And that it’s clean and clear. Why does the pics the USga put out clearly show 3 inch gap from forearm and hand to chest as their ok example and yet we see every player use the forearm touching method. The out is the “ I didn’t mean too “ excuse. I’m not making this up. It’s not clear and it’s not close to black and white.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy-

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/brandel-chamblee/intent-undermining-anchoring-rule

And this pic. This is an example of what I was talking about. You say intent doesn’t come into it. And that it’s clean and clear. Why does the pics the USga put out clearly show 3 inch gap from forearm and hand to chest as their ok example and yet we see every player use the forearm touching method. The out is the “ I didn’t mean too “ excuse. I’m not making this up. It’s not clear and it’s not close to black and white.

Blade, I would say the article is from a year and a half ago and we all discussed Brandel and his bs then.

Tell ya what. I suggest you try this. Go qualify for a big event. State Open...US An....US Open and anchor away. Make it really obvious. And then just tell them you didn't intend to and see what they say.

Get back to us and let us know please.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Shilgy-

Blade, I would say the article is from a year and a half ago and we all discussed Brandel and his bs then.

Tell ya what. I suggest you try this. Go qualify for a big event. State Open...US An....US Open and anchor away. Make it really obvious. And then just tell them you didn't intend to and see what they say.

Lol. I just don’t see how you can call it. Maybe you need to re read 14-1b and the descriptions after it. The word intentionally ( intent) is used around 20 times. Twice In the first 2 paragraphs.

My point is that if you look at what the picture guideline shows as ok. Then compare it to Scott McCaron etc it’s not the same. Those guys are anchoring with their forearms. Bowed wrist out and away from their chests. The forearm may be “ barely touching “ as to retain their clear conscious per the rules carefully stated exceptions. But that motion is still anchored up top. Lock your elbow and place your forearm on your chest. Then now your wrist out. You cannot move laterally without bringing in an air gap with the forearm to chest. Now find me an airgap pic with the current guys using the broom . Isn’t there. And good for them. They have a loophole and it works. Just don’t call the rule clear . It’s as clear as muddy water.

And to the greater point. It’s same as the backstopping deal. You can not determine when two players conspire to help each other by leaving a ball in place etc. so saying that those two can be DQed is pointless. If you can’t prove either case of intent. You then go on the players word no ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And to the greater point. It's same as the backstopping deal. You can not determine when two players conspire to help each other by leaving a ball in place etc. so saying that those two can be DQed is pointless. If you can't prove either case of intent. You then go on the players word no ?

I cut out all of the off-topic stuff, but this is a fair point. I agree, I dislike the wording of the new rule, I much prefer the previous version. It truly is impossible to determine the reason that the players agreed to leave the ball in place, unless someone overhears something incriminating. In the pre-2019 rules, if the ball is in position where it could help, and the two players agree to leave it there, it was a violation. There is still the question of whether they actually "agree", still a loophole, but a smaller one. At the top level, I'd love to see officials REQUIRE that a ball be marked whenever they see it happening.

Shilgy-

https://www.golfchan...-anchoring-rule

And this pic. This is an example of what I was talking about. You say intent doesn't come into it. And that it's clean and clear. Why does the pics the USga put out clearly show 3 inch gap from forearm and hand to chest as their ok example and yet we see every player use the forearm touching method. The out is the " I didn't mean too " excuse. I'm not making this up. It's not clear and it's not close to black and white.

Lol. I just don't see how you can call it. Maybe you need to re read 14-1b and the descriptions after it. The word intentionally ( intent) is used around 20 times. Twice In the first 2 paragraphs.

My point is that if you look at what the picture guideline shows as ok. Then compare it to Scott McCaron etc it's not the same. Those guys are anchoring with their forearms. Bowed wrist out and away from their chests. The forearm may be " barely touching " as to retain their clear conscious per the rules carefully stated exceptions. But that motion is still anchored up top. Lock your elbow and place your forearm on your chest. Then now your wrist out. You cannot move laterally without bringing in an air gap with the forearm to chest. Now find me an airgap pic with the current guys using the broom . Isn't there. And good for them. They have a loophole and it works. Just don't call the rule clear . It's as clear as muddy water.

And to the greater point. It's same as the backstopping deal. You can not determine when two players conspire to help each other by leaving a ball in place etc. so saying that those two can be DQed is pointless. If you can't prove either case of intent. You then go on the players word no ?

Have you read 14-1b in the 2019 rule book? Probably not much help.

We have a new set of rules for 2019, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check them out. You may want to look at rule 10 and it's interpretations to see how the rule on anchoring has changed. You may like it, the word "intent" is no longer used. I believe the USGA has now properly defined anchoring (even though I don't care for the rule), and it's up to the committees to enforce it.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Shilgy-

And this pic. This is an example of what I was talking about. You say intent doesn't come into it. And that it's clean and clear. Why does the pics the USga put out clearly show 3 inch gap from forearm and hand to chest as their ok example and yet we see every player use the forearm touching method. The out is the " I didn't mean too " excuse. I'm not making this up. It's not clear and it's not close to black and white.

Lol. I just don't see how you can call it. Maybe you need to re read 14-1b and the descriptions after it. The word intentionally ( intent) is used around 20 times. Twice In the first 2 paragraphs.

My point is that if you look at what the picture guideline shows as ok. Then compare it to Scott McCaron etc it's not the same. Those guys are anchoring with their forearms. Bowed wrist out and away from their chests. The forearm may be " barely touching " as to retain their clear conscious per the rules carefully stated exceptions. But that motion is still anchored up top. Lock your elbow and place your forearm on your chest. Then now your wrist out. You cannot move laterally without bringing in an air gap with the forearm to chest. Now find me an airgap pic with the current guys using the broom . Isn't there. And good for them. They have a loophole and it works. Just don't call the rule clear . It's as clear as muddy water.

We have a new set of rules for 2019, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check them out. You may want to look at rule 10 and it's interpretations to see how the rule on anchoring has changed. You may like it, the word "intent" is no longer used. I believe the USGA has now properly defined anchoring (even though I don't care for the rule), and it's up to the committees to enforce it.

Hmmm. No problem with learning. But I had no idea they touched the anchor rule. Was that posted as a 2019 change ? Or just an edit that wasn’t publicized?

Seems shilgy and I both were arguing over an old copy then. He hasn’t mentioned to me an edit and I’m sure he would if he had known. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hmmm. No problem with learning. But I had no idea they touched the anchor rule. Was that posted as a 2019 change ? Or just an edit that wasn't publicized?

Seems shilgy and I both were arguing over an old copy then. He hasn't mentioned to me an edit and I'm sure he would if he had known. Lol.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in other documents, but there are so many differences. After using the rules for 40 years, I'm resigned to the fact the first year I'm not going to make even the most basic ruling without double checking the book (app) to be sure I get it right in case it's changed.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Shilgy-

The rule in 2019 is 10.1b let me know if you see anything about intent.

You do not need an airgap as you call it. The rule even states that If the player’s club, gripping hand or forearm merely touches his or her body or clothing during the stroke, without being held against the body, there is no breach of this Rule.

Shilgy-

Hmmm. No problem with learning. But I had no idea they touched the anchor rule. Was that posted as a 2019 change ? Or just an edit that wasn't publicized?

Seems shilgy and I both were arguing over an old copy then. He hasn't mentioned to me an edit and I'm sure he would if he had known. Lol.

I am not arguing at all-certainly not over an old application that does not apply in 2019.

I mean this in the kindest way possible-read the rule you don't like before arguing about it.

Shilgy-

Before posting that I searched the rule on the app. Couldn’t find it. Searched via google and came up with 14-1b.

You think maybe the governing bodies could scrub the old rules from the top rankings in searches so as to cut out confusion ? And make an app that you don’t need to cross reference with other sites for the correct number to find the rule you’re looking for ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy-

You do not need an airgap as you call it. The rule even states that If the player’s club, gripping hand or forearm merely touches his or her body or clothing during the stroke, without being held against the body, there is no breach of this Rule.

Again. I go now to the app and search 10.1. Nothing. I have to go to the rules sheet below. Find it. And there it is. Same picture as before. Guy has top hand 5 inches from his chest. lol. Why that illustration if that’s not what is expected ? Why the “ not ok “ illustration as a face on ? Why not show it as anchored down the line to give a comparison. They have remodeled a rule and maybe made it Worse. At least having intent mentioned clarified the loophole. Now it’s what ? A judgement call? Or a clear “ we aren’t ever calling this “ revision ? I don’t understand how you can see this as clear ? Do you use a long putter ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lyme Disease:

Symptoms can include debilitating fatigue, pulled short irons, muscle and joint pain, having an affinity for show jumpers, headaches, mental fog causing difficulty with memory or finding words, inability to mark of one's golf ball consistently, an awkward look of skinniness, a proclivity to wearing black or white shirts, irritability, and sleeplessness.

Lyme Disease:

Symptoms can include debilitating fatigue, pulled short irons, muscle and joint pain, having an affinity for show jumpers, headaches, mental fog causing difficulty with memory or finding words, inability to mark of one's golf ball consistently, an awkward look of skinniness, a proclivity to wearing black or white shirts, irritability, and sleeplessness.

I believe that comes under 27-2 b of the Joann’s fabric bible in a section entitled “ dangers of quilting outdoors , in tall grass , while wearing period clothing , including but not limited to ankle length dresses , and plus 4 trousers. “.

Remember folks. Ticks see us way before we see them !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So now Jimmy Walker had admitted to anchoring his putter?

No. He has Lyme disease ! He doesn’t know what he’s saying.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy-

You do not need an airgap as you call it. The rule even states that If the player's club, gripping hand or forearm merely touches his or her body or clothing during the stroke, without being held against the body, there is no breach of this Rule.

Again. I go now to the app and search 10.1. Nothing. I have to go to the rules sheet below. Find it. And there it is. Same picture as before. Guy has top hand 5 inches from his chest. lol. Why that illustration if that's not what is expected ? Why the " not ok " illustration as a face on ? Why not show it as anchored down the line to give a comparison. They have remodeled a rule and maybe made it Worse. At least having intent mentioned clarified the loophole. Now it's what ? A judgement call? Or a clear " we aren't ever calling this " revision ? I don't understand how you can see this as clear ? Do you use a long putter ?

When I searched the rules app I just typed "anchoring" and it took me to the correct rule. Google can stay out of it because-as you found-you will often get older results.

1) No I do not anchor-but then I am a good putter. :)

2) Do you have trust issues perhaps? The rule is fine. Problem is there are too many that see a shirt or jacket getting touched that cry foul even though the rule distinctly says that is ok. Anchoring is not hard to distinguish really. Unless you are one that is positive everyone else is cheating. A couple friends use the long putter-and do not anchor. Look closely and you can see the movement of their hands and arms. They are NOT pressed/anchored at all.

Definition- to fix or fasten; affix firmly:

When I searched the rules app I just typed "anchoring" and it took me to the correct rule. Google can stay out of it because-as you found-you will often get older results.

2) Do you have trust issues perhaps? The rule is fine. Problem is there are too many that see a shirt or jacket getting touched that cry foul even though the rule distinctly says that is ok. Anchoring is not hard to distinguish really. Unless you are one that is positive everyone else is cheating. A couple friends use the long putter-and do not anchor. Look closely and you can see the movement of their hands and arms. They are NOT pressed/anchored at all.

For the past year, he's been whining that it's a terrible rule because you can't enforce intent. Now they re-write the rule so it's clear and enforceable. They took out intent altogether. Either you're anchoring or not. So his opinion now is the old rule is better because the word intent clarified things. WTF.

Are neither your top hand or forearms touching - You're fine

Are you touching but your chest moving independently of your top hand and forearm - You're Fine

Are you anchoring your top hand or forearm to your chest - Houston, we have a problem

Pretty easy

I give up, it's just going around in circles on every issue. Good luck if you wish to keep playing, I'll pray for your sanity. :D

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The worst argument defending backstopping is the if they are accurate enough to hit the ball why not hole it. That completely misses the point, it’s about lack of accuracy as the ball being left there as a backstop effectively makes the target bigger.

Everything possible should be done to prevent this happening. The player gained an unfair advantage that was completely avoidable.

Agreed.

For the past year, he's been whining that it's a terrible rule because you can't enforce intent. Now they re-write the rule so it's clear and enforceable. They took out intent altogether. Either you're anchoring or not. So his opinion now is the old rule is better because the word intent clarified things. WTF.

Are neither your top hand or forearms touching - You're fine

Are you touching but your chest moving independently of your top hand and forearm - You're Fine

Are you anchoring your top hand or forearm to your chest - Houston, we have a problem

Pretty easy

I give up, it's just going around in circles on every issue. Good luck if you wish to keep playing, I'll pray for your sanity. :D

Lol. No need to get huffy.

I agree with everything you just said. But and it’s a large but. You are the first person I’ve ever heard say that the litmus test is that the chest and top hand/forearm must move independently of each other. Most armchair quarter backs here just continue to spout “ if you touch it’s fine “. Ive continuously said that if your forearm is on the chest with the stroke that it’s anchoring. And keep getting “ it’s ok to touch “.

Now on to the intent part of the old rule. I simply said that i had made peace with that loophole. That it justified the lack of any calls on it.

Now I read that it has been revised. With really nothing much different except the intent mention removed . If they still never call it there are issues. If people get called when they are locked up. Cool. I just stated that now minus the loophole I like it less. Unless they intend to enforce it.

To be clear. Anyone here will tell you I’ve said 100 times that they should just repeal the anchor rule all together. Either repeal or enforce it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock