2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

We don't realize how quickly we lose optimum spin with our wedges. After a season that 10k spinner is now 8k. There is nothing wrong with that as we adjust to it spinning less over the course of the season. 

I've know some top level amateurs who play with 10 year old wedges and stick it to tap in range all day long. They simply know exactly what those wedges are gonna do.

We tend to get a little too hung up on optimal spin. I myself never go past two seasons with a wedge. And when I do switch I'll have a few spares of the one I'm using. So even if they go out of cycle I'll have a fresh head. 

I'll switch irons out weekly but I keep the same wedges. 

That's kinda what I was thinking. I was also thinking of buying a groove tool and see if that can help get my spin up with them, I'm not playing tournaments so not worried about making them non-conforming. Ideally I'd like to get a DRM and Max Milled and replace the heads every year since they are so cheap but I also want to get the TS4 when they come out, I'm looking at getting a new three wood, and I want to try the Tour X putter because I'd like to try a face balanced mallet so I don't want to spend money on wedges if I don't have to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I could see a TS3 4i & 5i, combined with 6-PW in the TS4.  Could be fun.

Yup.  The lower AVCOG of the TS3 will make wonderful long irons.  Keeping in mind that the set is designed with some progression in the COG going up somewhat in the shorter irons.  Most sets have this naturally, but this set is designed for this specifically.

Another option would be to combo the TS1 with the TS4, if a player finds they need a touch more ball speed in order to keep their yardage gaps more consistent into the longer irons, where they can tend to get bunched

• Like 2

Exciting times. TS3 isn't for me, but very much looking forward to the TS1-IM. May give the TS4 a shot as well. But I just made the move to PD type irons after 15+ years playing blades. And the added forgiveness is definitely nice. 

As for the TS4 lofts, are those pretty much in line with current blades from other MFGs? They're a solid club stronger than the blades I retired. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iamlowsound said:

That's kinda what I was thinking. I was also thinking of buying a groove tool and see if that can help get my spin up with them, I'm not playing tournaments so not worried about making them non-conforming. Ideally I'd like to get a DRM and Max Milled and replace the heads every year since they are so cheap but I also want to get the TS4 when they come out, I'm looking at getting a new three wood, and I want to try the Tour X putter because I'd like to try a face balanced mallet so I don't want to spend money on wedges if I don't have to. 

Groove tool wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd picked one up a number of years ago, and it definitely breathes some new life into older wedges. Was actually just thinking about hitting my current 60 (and maybe 56) with the tool. But have also been looking at the DRM and Max Milled wedges; just for something new. Current gamers are pretty old (5-7 years, maybe longer). Love them, but it may be time for a new set.

I know you mentioned that you're Clevelands may have lost some bite. I've always loved Cleveland wedges, but they do seem to wear out faster than some others. So wouldn't surprise me if that's what you're experiencing. 

31 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Exciting times. TS3 isn't for me, but very much looking forward to the TS1-IM. May give the TS4 a shot as well. But I just made the move to PD type irons after 15+ years playing blades. And the added forgiveness is definitely nice. 

As for the TS4 lofts, are those pretty much in line with current blades from other MFGs? They're a solid club stronger than the blades I retired. 

Would be easy enough to adjust them to play off a 47* P and 31* 6i.  It's only a 1.5-2* move on a soft 1025 club.  Would reduce offset by .50-75mm and add 1.5-2* of bounce

16 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Does anyone know whether the grooves are the same on the Max Milled and TSW/DRM wedges?

If not, which would be the higher spinning of the two?

The grooves are maximized for any wedge design they make. One design will not spin more than the other. Though you may find a shaft combo that will help with spin. 

Head to head they will spin the same when brand new. 

6 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Would be easy enough to adjust them to play off a 47* P and 31* 6i.  It's only a 1.5-2* move on a soft 1025 club.  Would reduce offset by .50-75mm and add 1.5-2* of bounce

Yeah. I don't mind the stronger lofts. Not craving more distance. But it also doesn't matter in the end. Sure modern 7 irons may be the 5.5/6 iron of yesteryear. But it's just a number stamped on the bottom. 

Was more so just curious if the TS4 lofts are generally stronger than blades from other OEMs. 

5 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The grooves are maximized for any wedge design they make. One design will not spin more than the other. Though you may find a shaft combo that will help with spin. 

Head to head they will spin the same when brand new. 

Thanks! I was basically trying to confirm that, all other things being equal, would one be more aggressive in spin than another. 

Do these wedges have microgrooves on the face? The descriptions make it seem like they do. But can't really tell from the online pics. 

15 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Thanks! I was basically trying to confirm that, all other things being equal, would one be more aggressive in spin than another. 

Do these wedges have microgrooves on the face? The descriptions make it seem like they do. But can't really tell from the online pics. 

Yes they all have the micro grooves. Currently the DRM versions being the hardest surface they offer, should last the longest. If you wanted your spin to stay consistent as long as possible I would consider them. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah. I don't mind the stronger lofts. Not craving more distance. But it also doesn't matter in the end. Sure modern 7 irons may be the 5.5/6 iron of yesteryear. But it's just a number stamped on the bottom. 

Was more so just curious if the TS4 lofts are generally stronger than blades from other OEMs. 

Most of the "blade" sets are working off a stock 46* P these days.  But they can all be adjusted...and are manufactured with that in mind.

If an exact loft really fits what you want, then it's worth going beyond the just a number on the bottom thought.  If you look at most of the iron and wedge lofts of the guys and gals on tour, they play exact numbers for a reason.  In other words, if a 47* club really fits in well, then make the extra effort to get something dialed in there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Most of the "blade" sets are working off a stock 46* P these days.  But they can all be adjusted...and are manufactured with that in mind.

If an exact loft really fits what you want, then it's worth going beyond the just a number on the bottom thought.  If you look at most of the iron and wedge lofts of the guys and gals on tour, they play exact numbers for a reason.  In other words, if a 47* club really fits in well, then make the extra effort to get something dialed in there

With only minor tweaking, a 3-GW set of TS4 have the same lofts as FG-17s.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Groove tool wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd picked one up a number of years ago, and it definitely breathes some new life into older wedges. Was actually just thinking about hitting my current 60 (and maybe 56) with the tool. But have also been looking at the DRM and Max Milled wedges; just for something new. Current gamers are pretty old (5-7 years, maybe longer). Love them, but it may be time for a new set.

I know you mentioned that you're Clevelands may have lost some bite. I've always loved Cleveland wedges, but they do seem to wear out faster than some others. So wouldn't surprise me if that's what you're experiencing. 

Thanks for the feedback! I do really like the Clevelands for look and feel. I'll pick up a groove tool and see if it helps. Pushing off new wedges until next year isn't something I want to do but it would be helpful for the rest of my gear acquasion syndrome. 

• Like 1

Updated TE is definitely interesting. There was always something about the originals that didn't quite strike me like some other offerings. 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Fourteen DJ-5 54 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

On 2/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, RSLP said:

@cs83208 TT Score LT is a very solid shaft.  When it was a major OEM offering it was the Memphis 10 shaft.  Tick lighter than the DG120/KBS Tour/Nippon Modus full weight shafts,  and a higher launching kick point in the profile.  I use it to test all new heads, plus I play it in all my irons. I do like the feel of the DG120 R the best, but I am cheap so I play the Score LT.

As mentioned a little bit later in the thread, it was the Dynalite 109 actually that is now the Score LT not the Memphis 10.  It was revealed that the steps and raw weight are identical.  Never seen the Memphis 10 or if TT made it, but maybe it is the same also?

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

29 minutes ago, pjc said:

As mentioned a little bit later in the thread, it was the Dynalite 109 actually that is now the Score LT not the Memphis 10.  It was revealed that the steps and raw weight are identical.  Never seen the Memphis 10 or if TT made it, but maybe it is the same also?

I dimly remember someone suggesting the Memphis 10 was a regular flex TTLiteXL.  If not even a touch softer.

Disclaimer:  didn't pay as much attention to Callaway product in those days

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

20 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

I know that the more qualified @Popeyehas weighed in, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have both the TSW and MM wedges. The face/grooves appear identical to me. The main difference is in feel with the MM having a decent edge in my book. I've never hit the nonDRM version of the TSW, so that may be the difference. Spin seems to be relatively equal as well. New, both will rip up a soft ball a have it moonwalking like any Vokey or Cleveland I've ever played. 20-30 rounds on the MM and it's still doing exactly what I need from it. The only wedge I like better is my PM grind 56 out of the sand. Haven't found anything that comes close for beach use. Just ordered a couple more MM for a new set I'm building. 

3 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

I know that the more qualified @Popeyehas weighed in, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have both the TSW and MM wedges. The face/grooves appear identical to me. The main difference is in feel with the MM having a decent edge in my book. I've never hit the nonDRM version of the TSW, so that may be the difference. Spin seems to be relatively equal as well. New, both will rip up a soft ball a have it moonwalking like any Vokey or Cleveland I've ever played. 20-30 rounds on the MM and it's still doing exactly what I need from it. The only wedge I like better is my PM grind 56 out of the sand. Haven't found anything that comes close for beach use. Just ordered a couple more MM for a new set I'm building. 

Appreciate the insight. Interesting that the MM would win in feel over the TSW/DRM; given the latter is forged. I suppose it could be the finish. But I recall Maltby/GW answering a question relating to feel. Saying the DRM is really no different in feel than the TSW.

Will have to swing by GolfWorks in the near future and hit each. Along with their new irons 😁

1 minute ago, SE Gamer said:

Appreciate the insight. Interesting that the MM would win in feel over the TSW/DRM; given the latter is forged. I suppose it could be the finish. But I recall Maltby/GW answering a question relating to feel. Saying the DRM is really no different in feel than the TSW.

Will have to swing by GolfWorks in the near future and hit each. Along with their new irons 😁

Since the DRM has actually been hardened it won't have as soft a feel as the TSW. They do feel different. The TSW does feel softer. I can't tell any difference in performance but I like the look of the DRM better. 

The Max Milled do have a great feel. Can't deny that. I've had people hit both and it's been a toss up on who thinks what feels better. It's subjective. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Since the DRM has actually been hardened it won't have as soft a feel as the TSW. They do feel different. The TSW does feel softer. I can't tell any difference in performance but I like the look of the DRM better. 

The Max Milled do have a great feel. Can't deny that. I've had people hit both and it's been a toss up on who thinks what feels better. It's subjective. 

I think GW argument was that hard chrome is, well, hard. So any difference between them would be negligible.

I'm sure I'd get along with the TSW, DRM, or MM. So will likely just be a matter of trying them out and seeing what fits my eye best.

23 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

I don't know much about those particular club heads or why one might feel softer then another but I do remember reading in a book by Ralph Malty many years ago that the material makes no difference in the feel of a clubhead.  This was back in the days of harsh cast stainless steel clubs vs. soft carbon steel.  As an experiment Maltby made identical club heads one from cast stainless and the other from carbon steel and shafted them up with the same shafts and no one could tell any difference between the two when hitting balls.

For me Maltby's test pretty much proved that any softer feel due to the hardness of the steel is probably between the tester's ears did it not?

Edited by Nels55
typo

6 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

I don't know much about those particular club heads or why one might feel softer then another but I do remember reading in a book by Ralph Malty many years ago that the material makes no difference in the feel of a clubhead.  This was back in the days of harsh cast stainless steel clubs vs. soft carbon steel.  As an experiment Maltby made identical club heads one from cast stainless and the other from carbon steel and shafted them up with the same shafts and no one could tell any difference between the two when hitting balls.

For me Maltby's test pretty much proved that any softer feel due to the hardness of the steel is probably between the tester's ears did it not?

Your last sentence is fairly spot on. Because sound plays a huge role in the perception of how a club feels 

Sure the mental aspect of having a forged club in your hands over a cast club has a 'between the ears' effect. But so does sound. 

3 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Your last sentence is fairly spot on. Because sound plays a huge role in the perception of how a club feels 

Sure the mental aspect of having a forged club in your hands over a cast club has a 'between the ears' effect. But so does sound. 

Absolutely agree with sound playing a huge role. Would think anyone who spends winter hitting balls indoors can testify to this. Personally spent some time testing the OG TS1 at home on the LM early last year. Good feel, but a little clicky compared to my blades. On the course it "felt" softer. Which I'm sure was due to the sound not being as concentrated outdoors as it is in a 15x20' room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

My understanding is that feel is pretty much all sound.  You can test that pretty easily by wearing ear plugs and hitting balls everything 'feels' the same...

On 2/13/2023 at 12:12 AM, Cwebb said:

The + signifies a $20 increase per head 😉

And undoubtedly stronger lofts.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06