Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Double Gee...... 30 day guarantee return if you dont like them but I KNOW,, there is no way you take that option.

Are you saying they'll exchange heads even after they have been shafted up and hit a few times? Not how I'm reading the "45-day Satisfaction Guarantee" this a.m. Ideally, would order in TS-1 & 2, trial both, and exchange the "loser". Suppose I could contact GW for clarification later today.

Like others, really on the fence which direction to take. My heart leans towards the TS-1, but my head says TS-2 ("It's max forgiveness stupid"). Was all set to test the 2, then you posted the grouping pics and like whoa....the TS-1 is tight. Plus you mentioned that you like the TS-1 head/sole better for 3/4 swing, feel shots around the green. That resonated as I get lots of practice with "around the green" shots and it's definitely not one of my game's strong suits. Throw stokes away all the time from 25 yards and in. Beside more practice (duh!), a little club help in that area would be beneficial. And NTM, while saying you could play TS-2's exclusively, you liked the "efficiency" of the TS-1. But feel like you have to step on them a bit to get them to perform. The thick top line makes me very nervous. The one design feature that I find off putting. (Yeah, I noticed the mention that it disappears after a point. But.) Appreciating all the time you spend analyzing these two and providing us with the details, but I get mixed signals occasionally. Not that I'm asking for someone to "pick a club" for me, just trying to read the tea leaves.

So I remain entirely conflicted on a direction to take. A set would consist of 6 - GW for distances of ~150 and in. Not into spending an extra $50 for a test head on the if come. While I'm confident the TS-2 is a very good head, perhaps the TS-1 may be a little "more good". As much as I don't want to admit it, the aesthetic becomes part of a club's appeal. And by extension, it's playability. Gotta look good to play good. IDK.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

As far as I know if you dont like the head you have ordered you can return it after you have hit it. Call customer service to get it from the horses mouth.

It's very easy to send mixed signals on the TS-1s because they are exceptional. I have a good repeatable swing but with my work schedule I leave for work for two weeks and a lot of times almost three weeks passes before I can swing a club. So a measure of forgiveness goes a long way when you step on a golf course and expect to play even par golf... or even worse my playing partner is expecting me to have my A game.

I have always played a pure forged blade style club. When I'm in a groove I score very well with them. My ego keeps telling me to have a bag full of TS-1s but the 2s dropped my HP to a zero this year.

Like any blade design the TS-1 is more comfortable in feel and performance being swung like you mean it. It has a feel to it that makes you want to hit it again. It's not squishy soft, but just right with great feedback.

Around the green the TS-1 PW really shined. A crisp pitch of the ball where you pinched it against the grass offers pin point results for me. I just didnt get that with the TS-2. Not that is didnt perform, just that the TS-1 gave me that near magic touch.

As for the top line, no getting around that but if it works my mind is more than ok with it.

So..... yes it's easy to read mixed signals on two great heads. Its tough to go wrong with either one. Some sort of mixed bag will work out very well for certain players.

Let me know if I can screw you up further....

The problem with offset numbers is that they are deceiving. The 745s have more in the long irons down to very little in the short. But even if the 745 and TS-1 have the same amount, how that offset manifests itself makes a world of a difference to anyone that prefers little to no offset.

The easiest way to explain it is the transition to the offset in the 745 is longer and more gradual whereby the TS-1 is shorter so it looks more pronounced. If I can get a good picture comparing the two tomorrow I'll post them. But if you set the TS-1 4I down and the 745 4I, the 745 looks like it has less.

What they call "hosel blending" does make a difference in how the offset looks.

If you had a 7 or 6i that had the perfect amount of offset for your eye,....would you want your shortest iron in the set to have less? I've always been curious as to whether most players would design their own perfect set this way,...or if they've just become used to it, because most sets are made that way

For me yes I would want it to have the less. Because of the loft differences the same offset in a PW as the 7I will look completely different so for me they need to progressively get less from 4 through PW with the PW basically having none.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

For an interesting mix to the testing and data collecting I'm adding an MMB Black 7 I to the fun shafted with a Paderson Kinetix shaft. I will also have one in a TS-2 6 iron.

This will be very interesting as the Paderson has been touted as being a club longer than a steel shaft. So it might even up what I'm seeing with the TS-1,, maybe...

It should make the TS-2 6 iron a missile.

Should have some data Monday if some power cords have shown up,,,

The two pictures are of the TS-1 and the Black. Third picture is obviously all three. Should be fun. ebe27017e1704ad9d13f88d6e20b4852.jpg3b4e8e71e5339a449bc518b4bfc6c7e2.jpg3317928dc2fd03163a9a725c24ceac7d.jpg

Btw,, the MMB Black with the all black Paderson shafts looks unreal...

Not that I'm asking for someone to "pick a club" for me, just trying to read the tea leaves.

So I remain entirely conflicted on a direction to take. A set would consist of 6 - GW for distances of ~150 and in. Not into spending an extra $50 for a test head on the if come. While I'm confident the TS-2 is a very good head, perhaps the TS-1 may be a little "more good". As much as I don't want to admit it, the aesthetic becomes part of a club's appeal. And by extension, it's playability. Gotta look good to play good. IDK.

My opinion based on what you've shared in your posts in this thread,.......go with the TS-1. You're a "player's iron" and blade guy. The 1's will already be a bit larger than what you're used to.....and should certainly be more "forgiving"

As far as I know if you dont like the head you have ordered you can return it after you have hit it. Call customer service to get it from the horses mouth.

It's very easy to send mixed signals on the TS-1s because they are exceptional. I have a good repeatable swing but with my work schedule I leave for work for two weeks and a lot of times almost three weeks passes before I can swing a club. So a measure of forgiveness goes a long way when you step on a golf course and expect to play even par golf... or even worse my playing partner is expecting me to have my A game.

I have always played a pure forged blade style club. When I'm in a groove I score very well with them. My ego keeps telling me to have a bag full of TS-1s but the 2s dropped my HP to a zero this year.

Like any blade design the TS-1 is more comfortable in feel and performance being swung like you mean it. It has a feel to it that makes you want to hit it again. It's not squishy soft, but just right with great feedback.

Around the green the TS-1 PW really shined. A crisp pitch of the ball where you pinched it against the grass offers pin point results for me. I just didnt get that with the TS-2. Not that is didnt perform, just that the TS-1 gave me that near magic touch.

As for the top line, no getting around that but if it works my mind is more than ok with it.

So..... yes it's easy to read mixed signals on two great heads. Its tough to go wrong with either one. Some sort of mixed bag will work out very well for certain players.

I have very much a love/hate conflict when it comes to you, Popeye. :)

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

One of the things I find interesting about these clubs is that the design choice on VCOG seems backwards. I would think that the more blade-like, "higher" lofted, thinner sole TS-1 would want the VCOG a touch higher and the thicker sole, stronger lofted, more anti-dig TS-2 would want it a touch lower. That would also likely thin out the topline of the TS-2 since that's where the weight would come from to lower it.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I have very much a love/hate conflict when it comes to you, Popeye. :)

I have that effect on people. Join the crowd.

So, as it stands today in the off season...I'm guessing if you had to pick today with no going back you'd pick the TS-2 but going into next season you think the TS-1's might continue to win you over, or are you pretty convinced it's going to be the TS-2's next year?

Coming from a Srixon 965/Mizuno MP18 SC/Ping i200 lineup, I would feel safer going with the TS1. That said, I did not feel lke I played any of those clubs very well in the 4 iron, so my thought is try something like a TS2 in that 22 degree spot (bend it 1 weak). I have a Ping G400 hybrid at the 19 degree spot, and it has solved that problem, but I only want to carry one hybrid unless I cannot find an iron that works. I was initially looking at the Srixon U65, but the TS2 looks like a possibility because there are some things about its look from address that I like better.

So my thought remains to get two built — a 4 iron TS2 and a 9 iron TS1. I was going to order a PW TS1, but I want to test one of the injected heads since most of them are.

And I tell ya what. If I like both I will keep both. If I don’t like one, say the 4 iron is still not my answer, if someone else on this board is curious about these clubs, just cover shipping and a 6-pack of beer and I’ll play it forward and send it to you. I’ll do that today with a DMB/Recoil 110 test iron I have (I think a 6, have to check.) Nice club, I spun it so much it was unreal. Basically new. Finish truly is bulletproof. Anyone interested, just PM me.

I feel like that is a real plus of testing out the Maltby gear. It is almost a hobby of its own to mess around with components, and you meet a lot of others who like to learn about this stuff and make up their own minds.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

So, as it stands today in the off season...I'm guessing if you had to pick today with no going back you'd pick the TS-2 but going into next season you think the TS-1's might continue to win you over, or are you pretty convinced it's going to be the TS-2's next year?
The longer I mess with the TS-1 the harder it is to keep them out of the bag. The PW TS-1 is in the bag as its simply money around the green. I dont have the GW of the TS-1 but that area of my bag has been a sore spot. The GW and SW are traditionally clubs I will bury in the turf if its muddy. On an elite course my clubs will glide through the turf and I'm good with pure blades as I really go ball first and down and through.. classic digger. But in reality its crappy turf. The TS-2 is amazing at getting through or should I say over that wet sloppy turf. The GW TS-1 may be a great club but I sold it as soon as it came in.

That level of forgiveness in the overall set of TS-2s is hard to over look. I just feel that stepping up to the ball that I'm finding the green no matter what. The TS-2 long irons are unflappable. Line it up and let it go. The conditions through out this year were very unique. Every course was a swamp for the entire season. They never had a chance to dry up... not at all. So in those conditions the TS-2s were perfect. I even had them down south and they worked just as well.

This winter I will spend a lot of sim time with the TS-1s. So more than likely the GW and 9 iron may work their way in. Eventually in my building different sets for people I will have both full sets so I can swap in as I see fit.

So to answer the question of set make up without looking back......

TS-2 4-8 TS-1 9-GW and 52, 56, 60 in the M Series +. They would be in Tour Sole as they are fairly wide at .900.

The longer I mess with the TS-1 the harder it is to keep them out of the bag. The PW TS-1 is in the bag as its simply money around the green. I dont have the GW of the TS-1 but that area of my bag has been a sore spot. The GW and SW are traditionally clubs I will bury in the turf if its muddy. On an elite course my clubs will glide through the turf and I'm good with pure blades as I really go ball first and down and through.. classic digger. But in reality its crappy turf. The TS-2 is amazing at getting through or should I say over that wet sloppy turf. The GW TS-1 may be a great club but I sold it as soon as it came in.

That level of forgiveness in the overall set of TS-2s is hard to over look. I just feel that stepping up to the ball that I'm finding the green no matter what. The TS-2 long irons are unflappable. Line it up and let it go. The conditions through out this year were very unique. Every course was a swamp for the entire season. They never had a chance to dry up... not at all. So in those conditions the TS-2s were perfect. I even had them down south and they worked just as well.

This winter I will spend a lot of sim time with the TS-1s. So more than likely the GW and 9 iron may work their way in. Eventually in my building different sets for people I will have both full sets so I can swap in as I see fit.

TS-2 4-8 TS-1 9-GW and 52, 56, 60 in the M Series +. They would be in Tour Sole as they are fairly wide at .900.

Awesome. Thanks again for your feedback.

One of the things I find interesting about these clubs is that the design choice on VCOG seems backwards. I would think that the more blade-like, "higher" lofted, thinner sole TS-1 would want the VCOG a touch higher and the thicker sole, stronger lofted, more anti-dig TS-2 would want it a touch lower. That would also likely thin out the topline of the TS-2 since that's where the weight would come from to lower it.

The thicker topline and higher VCOG of the TS-2 come about because they optimized to a higher MOI. Not the design goal of the TS-1 to have the high MOI. Hence the lower VCOG and slightly less topline thickness. Design tradeoffs. Only so much mass to push around.

Very good points about course conditions. Makes a huge difference. It has been perpetually sloppy around here and not typical to find tightly manicured golf courses.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Another option for combo sets from Maltby, is with the PTM set. Would work if someone didn't want the "spring face" in their shorter irons, but did want the higher sole bounce. Specs wise and size wise, a combo set of the TS-2s in the longer irons and the PTM's in the shorter clubs, could work well.

I also noticed that Britt Lindsey posted on the Maltby forum, that they are bringing back their HDI "hybrid driving iron" design.....but in a new satin finish, which I assume means not black. He said they'll be available in 19, 21, and 23*....and should be more bendable with a non black finish

Another option for combo sets from Maltby, is with the PTM set. Would work if someone didn't want the "spring face" in their shorter irons, but did want the higher sole bounce. Specs wise and size wise, a combo set of the TS-2s in the longer irons and the PTM's in the shorter clubs, could work well.

I also noticed that Britt Lindsey posted on the Maltby forum, that they are bringing back their HDI "hybrid driving iron" design.....but in a new satin finish, which I assume means not black. He said they'll be available in 19, 21, and 23*....and should be more bendable with a non black finish

That's a pretty good idea. Had not even thought about that option.

The HDI is a great head and yes not being the DBM finish will give them a bendable option for the average club builder.

I think if I decide to pull the trigger on these, considering I am already playing the outstanding PTM blacks with standard weight DG shafts, I will probably go with the Club Pak of TS-2 in DG 105 (switched to tapers).

As cool as the TS-1 looks, the specs are so close to the PTM's I just don't think it's worth the cost for me. Going TS-2 would give me a second set that is different enough from my gamer set that it would be a worthy experiment with potential soft condition improvement and a glowing endorsement from Popeye for playability. Then they can battle it out for next year's spot in the bag.

I think if I decide to pull the trigger on these, considering I am already playing the outstanding PTM blacks with standard weight DG shafts, I will probably go with the Club Pak of TS-2 in DG 105 (switched to tapers).

As cool as the TS-1 looks, the specs are so close to the PTM's I just don't think it's worth the cost for me. Going TS-2 would give me a second set that is different enough from my gamer set that it would be a worthy experiment with potential soft condition improvement and a glowing endorsement from Popeye for playability. Then they can battle it out for next year's spot in the bag.

You will like those 105 shafts. Very happy with mine.

Have you compared the DG 105 to the Nippon Modus 3 105? I just put a Nippon in a TS-2 over the weekend and comparing it to a Mizzy 919t with a Nippon 120. Just wondering if it is worth it to try the DG105.

I was at Golf Works this past weekend picking up a TS-2 demo. While I was there I drilled the pro/fitter in the shop on the differences in performance and forgiveness between the TS-1 and 2. He literally just said pick the one you like the looks of best. Yes the TS-2 is a little bigger, but in terms of forgiveness, he said they are both ultra high on the list of forgiveness. I have all winter to figure this out, so I'll build a TS-1 to compare off the mats for now. In terms of looks, I liked both of them and the top line of the TS-2 did not bother me after a few swings. Both do a really good job of framing the ball up.

It's just about the one shaft I have not tried in the 105 weight zone. I had the 950 GH S (only Nippon I have used) in some of the heads and though it's super smooth it's not quite stout enough. I found the KBS Tour 105 to almost be a slight bit harsh. The DG 105 S holds up nice to an aggressive swing and is middle of the road between the KBS and the 950 in feel. I really thought about the Modus but just never got one. There is a lot of interest in graphite so that's what I'll test now.

Have you compared the DG 105 to the Nippon Modus 3 105? I just put a Nippon in a TS-2 over the weekend and comparing it to a Mizzy 919t with a Nippon 120. Just wondering if it is worth it to try the DG105.

I threw up a question on the Maltby Forum about split sets and Britt said they will consider it. The ability to choose a split club pak would be a great bonus. Hopefully they will get that approved.

If any of you guys are considering split sets but are hesitant give a call to customer service and ask. I'm sure if there is enough interest they will get it done.

I threw up a question on the Maltby Forum about split sets and Britt said they will consider it. The ability to choose a split club pak would be a great bonus. Hopefully they will get that approved.

If any of you guys are considering split sets but are hesitant give a call to customer service and ask. I'm sure if there is enough interest they will get it done.

Also, I noted a few months back, somebody asked about short sets (ie 5-GW) being available in club paks. Very similar response - we will consider it. Nothing further. Some of us mere mortals only use a 4 iron in the woods.

15 hcp

Also, I noted a few months back, somebody asked about short sets (ie 5-GW) being available in club paks. Very similar response - we will consider it. Nothing further. Some of us mere mortals only use a 4 iron in the woods.

Well short sets might be harder to price or maintain a profit margin. With the TS-1 and 2 costing the same it should be easy to pick the orders as the price never changes. In the club paks you can upgrade to more expensive components but even if you order a cheaper grip or shaft the base price never goes down. So I can see them balking at a short set. But a split set just makes sense.

I noted in their clubpaks, the steel shaft offering are either KBS or TT. Wonder if they would consider other brands ie Nippon in their clubpak pricing structure ?

Why would "short sets might be harder to price or maintain a profit margin" ? For example, the ts2 / SCORE shaft club pak is priced at $450, just offer the short set at around $425,.

15 hcp

I noted in their clubpaks, the steel shaft offering are either KBS or TT. Wonder if they would consider other brands ie Nippon in their clubpak pricing structure ?

Why would "short sets might be harder to price or maintain a profit margin" ? For example, the ts2 / SCORE shaft club pak is priced at $450, just offer the short set at around $425,.

I dont know,, just seemed to me that it would be tough to program into the system. plus it's the best deal in golf anyways si maybe they just want to leave it at full sets, IDK.

On the shafts choices,, when you call customer service and order a club pak you can say you want Nippon shafts and they just apply the extra cost against a basic pak. They just dont have every shaft combo listed.

I ordered a PTM Black kit with Nippon 950 GH shafts and they sold it cheaper than buying it in separate pieces. So you just have to say which shafts you want.

Short sets would be awesome in paks, but I doubt they will ever do it. At least now you can get a mid or OS grip, so they have made some adjustments.....used to be only standard size grip made available.

My wish list has one other thing for GW.....make a decent driver. Great iron offerings, decent wedge offerings, decent hybrid offerings, OK fairway offerings, and sub par driver offerings, especially after modern adapters have took over.