Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Is there a difference in quality?

This is a concern of many. After researching this myself and an owner of both component (maltby) and oem equipment, I would say there is no difference in quality. .You will probably get responses to the contrary (some golfers just like drinking the oem kool-aid).

15 hcp

After spending about 20 minutes figuring out how to collect simultaneous club data I got some swings in with the TS-1 and the 2 both 7 irons.

It was off some very thin matts so it's not easy to get them to spin. This was off a Flightscope and I couldnt delete individual shots. It's running off E6 software and we just couldnt figure out how to do that. So a couple of averages had to be wiped out because of mishits.

I saw a much higher club head speed on the TS-2 and really couldnt figure that one out. There was also a big jump in ball speed. What was very interesting was the distance control on the TS-1. In the second picture the grouping in distance is excellent from the TS-1.

I was pretty rusty after the fall layoff and just getting off the tugboat. I want to get some more data as the week goes on and I'm hoping we can get some better mats in there as well.

But I was seeing a distance jump with the TS-2 that is more in line with the increase in loft. But that can almost solely be explained by the club head speed. I definitely need some more data to really come to a conclusion but the TS-1 was working really well today.

45f7abecb7317a2a823127ff6f27b2c2.jpg7874a107a820a53790b53f8a68af2a5c.jpg

Thanks for the info Popeye. Good stuff

Anyone tried a lightweight graphite shaft in a TS2 long iron? Say a 90-95 g Recoll or Steelfiber or the Maltby shaft in a 4 iron. Could play as easy as a hybrid but still give the control I like in an iron.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

So a half club longer, same as you have always said. The spin is what spooks me. You said off of thin mats, but they were lower launch and higher spin. I'm still going to order 5-gw and put my x7 in them. Should be a great set!!
I dont think that spin was representative of what plays on course. Last sim session was on a good mats on a GC2 and they were spot on. Spin numbers for the previous session were almost 6000. On course these 7 irons stop within a few feet not yards. On this Fightscope setup I always use the carry distances and they work out to be very close to what I see on course. I was using PRO V1s and there was no way they spin like that.

So 178 yards for the TS-1 is what I have oncourse with golfshot for tracked shots. The TS-2 was 185. So the carry distance I saw today was within 2 yards of my tracked outside shots.

Anyone tried a lightweight graphite shaft in a TS2 long iron? Say a 90-95 g Recoll or Steelfiber or the Maltby shaft in a 4 iron. Could play as easy as a hybrid but still give the control I like in an iron.

I have a few Paderson shafts on the way so I will put one in a 6 iron head and see how it does.

I have a few Paderson shafts on the way so I will put one in a 6 iron head and see how it does.

I never know which Paderson shaft to go with. Play a little firm to flex, I was told by one fitter. I am just thinking a lighter but stable graphite shaft could make the TS2 long irons even easier to hit. I swing a driver at 103-105 and I am picky on shafts. Like them stable but would prefer to feel a little kick instead of boardy. The only Paderson I ever used in a demo was stout in stiff, but I don’t even remember which one it was. I do remember it was green.

Could also look at the Kuro Kage or the Maltby shafts, which are really inexpensive.

Popeye,

Could it be possible for you to measure the topline of both the ts2 and the 790? I'm really just curious what the numerical difference is. I'm really thinking of calling golfworks on Friday and ordering 5-gw and replacing my Adams cmb. I've only seen the 790 in person and they don't look bad. But you say ts2 have a much thicker topline. Now I'm just curious how much. Thanks in advance.

First picture 790 is on the left and the sole is quite large compared to the TS-2

Second picture 790 is on the right. Smaller top line.

It will be a day or so before I can measure them.

At first the topline seems large but it disappears in play. Especially with how well the sole works. For me it was a game changer.

I do have to throw in a word about the feel. Hit on the screws it feels as great as any forged club but it's not squishy, buttery.... Its Solid. I would never deem the feedback as harsh but it does let you know where you missed. 1190d36d9d2d6a70695b75e01724e8b1.jpg8f1bc51ef59e107d06cd5adf4d32c306.jpg

That top line is seriously chunky monkey. Seems odd to have such a thick top, but have a narrower sole.

The forged club looks pretty good though.

What would a set of 4-pw run with project x shafts?

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I tried then with Accra 100i stiff and the felt great but I hit then lower than I liked which would be great right now weather wise but i went back to steel

I HATE THIS THREAD....HATE IT !

There is was very happy with my new irons THEN i see how these babies perform.

Do i need them ? - no!

Do i want them? - YES!

Looks like I've found a UK supplier.

One of the things i love about non OEM big boy clubs is i can buy a set of these for about a third of the more expensive overpriced ranges.

Hope they live up to the hype.

So I've had 2 sessions comparing the my 745 DGS300 4/5 irons with the TS-1 DG105 S300 4/5 irons at the range only. The TS-1 is a great looking head. The overall size is slightly bigger than my 745s. One thing I love about the 745 long irons is that the offset is hidden. The hosel transition is so smooth and blended that you don't really see it. The TS-1s numerically may have the same offset but it's more pronounced. You can really see where the transition is. Minor thing but I prefer the 745s for that.

In terms of performance, I'm not not seeing significant ball speed increases or a significant increase in forgiveness. But the 745 is deceptively forgiving, especially low. So mishits between the too seemed to yield similar results. Launch is a tad higher with the TS-1 but nothing dramatic and I'm not sure if it's because of the shaft. The TS-1 performed extremely well but it didn't "blow" the 745s away, enough that I have to built the rest of the set. Another minor thing is the 745s feel so good when flushed, more "solid" than the TS-1. I think if I were looking to replace the 745s I would get the TS-1s in a heartbeat. But my 745s easily have several years left in them.

What did impress me is the DG105 shaft. Much easier to swing than standard DGS300 and really smooth. So I pulled the 4I shaft and just placed it in the 745 4I to compare.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Great comparison!

I'm a lanky, weak guy (I prefer wiry but... I'm scrawny). At 6'4" I create a pretty big arc but have a slow tempo, think Ernie Els or Colin Montgomery.

I have always played DG s300 but have good results with PX 6.0. My thought is if I went with a DG 105 if I cant feel more relaxed and I won't have that creeping feeling of having to work the shaft (that sounded bad). I struggle with a flip... it's a swing flaw (obviously)

Iron play is my weakness. I have had guys ask my opinions in wedge play and putting, so those are where my money is made. I need to hit more greens.

I'm torn between the TS 1 and 2. My biggest fear: not being able to flight the ball down. I'm getting used to golf in Florida after being in Vegas for a few years. The air here is heavy, and wind seems to weigh more on shots than it did in the desert. Less roll out and the courses are much more control oriented.

My safety shot is a slinger. Low left to right or right to left shot... it's just doesn't roll out here. Just digs and doesn't match the turf and course conditions here. (Big shout out to solid players in this environment. The turf is very alien to me and the drop in distance has been noticeable, to be a strong player here.... you've got game)

I may have to try and build a tester of both.

Thoughts?

Ivyguy,,,, about a month after I built the TS-2s I took them down to south west Florida Naples to be exact and they did extremely well in the funky fairway turf. They were leaving even less of a divot compared to up north but granted they were much dryer.

I'll say this on the two irons. If you are comfortable playing blades or are on the border line the TS-1 will work for you. If you wish you had the game for blades but really need a bit of help go with the TS-2. Build both to your specs and when you are done with them either return one to Golfworks ir put it up on BST.

Achappy,,,, great comparison to an iron that is actually built with very similar design concepts. V sole with a bunch of forgiveness. The 745s are so good and you are used to them that it would take a lot longer of a comparison to be honest between the two. The fact that the TS-1 did as well right away says a lot especially against the 745s. I can see how the 745s will stay in the bag a while longer.

So I've had 2 sessions comparing the my 745 DGS300 4/5 irons with the TS-1 DG105 S300 4/5 irons at the range only. The TS-1 is a great looking head. The overall size is slightly bigger than my 745s. One thing I love about the 745 long irons is that the offset is hidden. The hosel transition is so smooth and blended that you don't really see it. The TS-1s numerically may have the same offset but it's more pronounced. You can really see where the transition is. Minor thing but I prefer the 745s for that.

In terms of performance, I'm not not seeing significant ball speed increases or a significant increase in forgiveness. But the 745 is deceptively forgiving, especially low. So mishits between the too seemed to yield similar results. Launch is a tad higher with the TS-1 but nothing dramatic and I'm not sure if it's because of the shaft. The TS-1 performed extremely well but it didn't "blow" the 745s away, enough that I have to built the rest of the set. Another minor thing is the 745s feel so good when flushed, more "solid" than the TS-1. I think if I were looking to replace the 745s I would get the TS-1s in a heartbeat. But my 745s easily have several years left in them.

What did impress me is the DG105 shaft. Much easier to swing than standard DGS300 and really smooth. So I pulled the 4I shaft and just placed it in the 745 4I to compare.

Given that the 745 is one of the best irons ever, and the TS1 compares favorably to it, this is a real endorsement of Maltby. And as you noted a sligntly larger profile in the TS1, that is very appealing to those who like the 745 size heads but are looking for a little extra help in the long irons.

Achappy-- I have done deals with you on GEA in the past. Mostly Maltby stuff. I have a set of shafts waiting for a new iron head and have been strongly considering the TS-1. How do you compare them to the M-05 etc... Thank you

Ivyguy,,,, about a month after I built the TS-2s I took them down to south west Florida Naples to be exact and they did extremely well in the funky fairway turf. They were leaving even less of a divot compared to up north but granted they were much dryer.

I'll say this on the two irons. If you are comfortable playing blades or are on the border line the TS-1 will work for you. If you wish you had the game for blades but really need a bit of help go with the TS-2. Build both to your specs and when you are done with them either return one to Golfworks ir put it up on BST.

I think that's what I'm gonna do.

I currently play 710MB, but I'm no longer a spring chicken and there days where I just dont mor it as well.

I think it's been getting progressively worse over the years, but desert golf covered it up. Just a more forgiving style.

Achappy-- I have done deals with you on GEA in the past. Mostly Maltby stuff. I have a set of shafts waiting for a new iron head and have been strongly considering the TS-1. How do you compare them to the M-05 etc... Thank you

To be honest, outside of Wishon the TS-1 is the first component iron set I really considered from Maltby. I've ordered the TE Forged before and I loved the look of the long irons but the constant offset bothered me. So the short irons ended up having too much offset and I never followed through with a set.

The TS-1 is amazing head and easy to hit straight. I did hit more shots online with the TS-1 and it was extremely easy to swing. But it was so hard to tell how much was because of the shaft. The shaft feels really good to swing. You get the head feel of a DG but it's light. Better feeling than other light weight steel shafts I've felt.

So my next comparison will be the TS-1 5I/DG105 vs 745 5I DGS300 vs 745 4I DG105. Ideally I would like to have the same head but I've played the 745s the past two years and know how it performs with a DGS300 so I can make relative comparisons. I also want to try the TS-1 on turf. The sole looks like it will be really good for a digger like me.

Maltby PTM-5

To be honest, outside of Wishon the TS-1 is the first component iron set I really considered from Maltby. I've ordered the TE Forged before and I loved the look of the long irons but the constant offset bothered me. So the short irons ended up having too much offset and I never followed through with a set.

The TS-1 is amazing head and easy to hit straight. I did hit more shots online with the TS-1 and it was extremely easy to swing. But it was so hard to tell how much was because of the shaft. The shaft feels really good to swing. You get the head feel of a DG but it's light. Better feeling than other light weight steel shafts I've felt.

So my next comparison will be the TS-1 5I/DG105 vs 745 5I DGS300 vs 745 4I DG105. Ideally I would like to have the same head but I've played the 745s the past two years and know how it performs with a DGS300 so I can make relative comparisons. I also want to try the TS-1 on turf. The sole looks like it will be really good for a digger like me.

I didnt know you had not hit the TS-1 from the turf yet. Hitting it from a mat almost is a crime. They really don't like thin contact. Be very interested in how you feel about them when you get them out in the wild.

With that said, I'm not sure that you would like the look of any of the Maltby designed shorter irons, because they all have more than 2mm of offset. Whether they have constant offset, or not. The TE/DMB is about 2.5mm of constant offset

It's funny, I have never looked at a TE/DBM head any thought,, wow that's a lot of offset. I always thought they were fairly blade like in looks.

Yeah, same here. For someone who is used to "player's irons" or blades that have 1.5mm or near zero offset in the shorter irons, I guess the 2.5mm of the TE/DMB would look like a smidge more

The problem with offset numbers is that they are deceiving. The 745s have more in the long irons down to very little in the short. But even if the 745 and TS-1 have the same amount, how that offset manifests itself makes a world of a difference to anyone that prefers little to no offset.

The easiest way to explain it is the transition to the offset in the 745 is longer and more gradual whereby the TS-1 is shorter so it looks more pronounced. If I can get a good picture comparing the two tomorrow I'll post them. But if you set the TS-1 4I down and the 745 4I, the 745 looks like it has less.

Maltby PTM-5

The problem with offset numbers is that they are deceiving. The 745s have more in the long irons down to very little in the short. But even if the 745 and TS-1 have the same amount, how that offset manifests itself makes a world of a difference to anyone that prefers little to no offset.

The easiest way to explain it is the transition to the offset in the 745 is longer and more gradual whereby the TS-1 is shorter so it looks more pronounced. If I can get a good picture comparing the two tomorrow I'll post them. But if you set the TS-1 4I down and the 745 4I, the 745 looks like it has less.

What they call "hosel blending" does make a difference in how the offset looks.

If you had a 7 or 6i that had the perfect amount of offset for your eye,....would you want your shortest iron in the set to have less? I've always been curious as to whether most players would design their own perfect set this way,...or if they've just become used to it, because most sets are made that way

Yeah the grass is where they ts shines for me I have an indoor getting area and the don't even feel that great of my very nice Matt but when you take a nice divot it blew me away, i never got the 4 in ts1 ,I have 6-pw ts1 and opted for the ts2 in 4,5 iron, but I keep thinking what if but then I got that 190 to 200 shot on the green with the ts2,4 iron and I'm like Nevermind

These are calling to me for absolutely no reason except my ho'ing tendencies. Love my PTM's. Can't decide if I want to try the TS-2, TS-1, or both.

it would be TS-1 without question except that Popeye's experience with the TS-2 is messing with me.

I bet the TS-2 sole is magical in the soggy PNW that bakes into hardpan in the summer.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova