Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Wonder why Maltby is recommending a collared ferrule for the PTM, TS 1 & 2. But for the TE, it's a standard ferrule. Same universal bore. Do these heads require additional "centering" assistance? Are the hosels coned on the prior? Thought coning was pertinent for graphite shaft installation only and SOP in iron heads these days.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wonder why Maltby is recommending a collared ferrule for the PTM, TS 1 & 2. But for the TE, it's a standard ferrule. Same universal bore. Do these heads require additional "centering" assistance? Are the hosels coned on the prior? Thought coning was pertinent for graphite shaft installation only and SOP in iron heads these days.

I just got the TS-1 (5i and 6i) and there is a bit of a counterbore (not countersink) at the top of the hosel for the collared ferrule. I did not realize this myself so I was stuck with standard ferrules for my installation this weekend. I gong showed a N.S. Pro Modus 3T 105 "S" in the 5i and N.S. Pro Modus 3T 120 "S" in the 6i. I was crushing the 6i on the monitor getting really good launch and distance but the spin was quite low (14* launch, 180 average carry, but barely high 3000s spin). For reference I typically hit my TE 6i with Steelfiber i95 R 170 at best but more like 16 launch and 5000 spin. I expected the Modus 120 to spin lower (stiff tip, soft butt) but was not expecting it to spin that little. But man I was crushing it. It felt great and when I nutted a shot it was getting closer to 190 carry which is simply insane for me. Mishits were much more consistent with the TS-1 compared to my trusty TEs. I am going to put together a PW with the Modus 120 to see how it spins. The TS-1 is the real deal IMO. And I will get the proper ferrules :)

No tracking updates since the 21st when it arrived in Columbus. Still scheduled for Thursday delivery. Sometimes tracking makes things worse. :)

Mystery solved: it was stuck in the black hole of the Hodgkins, Illinois UPS center for 5 days over the holiday.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I just got the TS-1 (5i and 6i) and there is a bit of a counterbore (not countersink) at the top of the hosel for the collared ferrule. I did not realize this myself so I was stuck with standard ferrules for my installation this weekend. I gong showed a N.S. Pro Modus 3T 105 "S" in the 5i and N.S. Pro Modus 3T 120 "S" in the 6i. I was crushing the 6i on the monitor getting really good launch and distance but the spin was quite low (14* launch, 180 average carry, but barely high 3000s spin). For reference I typically hit my TE 6i with Steelfiber i95 R 170 at best but more like 16 launch and 5000 spin. I expected the Modus 120 to spin lower (stiff tip, soft butt) but was not expecting it to spin that little. But man I was crushing it. It felt great and when I nutted a shot it was getting closer to 190 carry which is simply insane for me. Mishits were much more consistent with the TS-1 compared to my trusty TEs. I am going to put together a PW with the Modus 120 to see how it spins. The TS-1 is the real deal IMO. And I will get the proper ferrules :)

Try not to get too wrapped up in the simulator spin numbers. I dont get great numbers unless I'm on a GC2 or a Trackman. On course they spin just as they should.

Try not to get too wrapped up in the simulator spin numbers. I dont get great numbers unless I'm on a GC2 or a Trackman. On course they spin just as they should.

I am getting more spin from the new TS-1s than I got from my old CF-16s. Note the specific use of "new" and "old". I suspect sharp grooves are the primary difference I am seeing. Shafts are the same and head design isn't going to make a huge difference IMO. The lower VCoG is making it easier to launch the ball higher off the firm turf we have around here though.

Was fortunate enough to get out for 9 holes this afternoon with my new irons. Even with it being a soggy mess (cart path only) with a cold 20mph wind, I can honestly say I haven’t had that much fun on a golf course in awhile. The TS2s paired with Modus 130 Xs throw darts. For the first time out and with the conditions I was thoroughly impressed. The TS1 GW was awesome as well. Really enjoyed chipping with it. Nearly holed one on 9. I thought the TS2 short irons did their jobs efficiently but I could see adding a TS1 9, PW to the rotation.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

I believe it was Britt at GW who posted he always uses oversized ferrules and epoxies them in place. I’ve been doing this for the last couple of years, .350 on a .335 shaft for example and recently used the oversized .377 on a wedge. Much less cussing involved.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Yes, those models have a recess in the hosel for the collared ferrule to sit in. Did make it a bit more difficult to install.

Never had an issue with ferrule creep on any clubs that I've assembled. No need for oversize, epoxy "ooze" sufficient to set the ferrule in place. A tight ferrule, heat it up a bit and will slide into position easily. Granted, I've never worked with collared ferrules. Perhaps they present a trickier install.

Back to an original question. Why collared ferrules? Is there something about shaft installation into TS-1 & 2 heads that requires their use? So they're counterbored, but not countersunk. What difference does that make if using steel shafts? And perhaps easily modified with the correct honing bit. I'm about to order in some heads. My preference is to use a particular style ferrule that I already have on hand. But if a compelling reason is advised, will order the "recommended" ferrule. What am I not understanding here?

P.S. - Have briefed through the respective Maltby Q & A and see no mention on the subject. Unless I missed it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Never had an issue with ferrule creep on any clubs that I've assembled. No need for oversize, epoxy "ooze" sufficient to set the ferrule in place. A tight ferrule, heat it up a bit and will slide into position easily. Granted, I've never worked with collared ferrules. Perhaps they present a trickier install.

Back to an original question. Why collared ferrules? Is there something about shaft installation into TS-1 & 2 heads that requires their use? So they're counterbored, but not countersunk. What difference does that make if using steel shafts? And perhaps easily modified with the correct honing bit. I'm about to order in some heads. My preference is to use a particular style ferrule that I already have on hand. But if a compelling reason is advised, will order the "recommended" ferrule. What am I not understanding here?

P.S. - Have briefed through the respective Maltby Q & A and see no mention on the subject. Unless I missed it.

You can use any ferrule you want. The ferrule that is recommended with the TS, PTM and FGT wedges is specifically made for those heads. A standard ferrule that's installed with epoxy ooze will work fine on these heads and probably be a much better bond with the ferrule as there is even more epoxt to hold it now. In the picture you see a PTM head and the matching ferrule. Without the standard ferrule cone there is actually very little epoxy to hold the ferrule during an epoxy ooze install. So epoxying the ferrule in place will make sure it doesnt go anywhere. 3cf9b811ed6a916688f93d37e0096c49.jpg

Mine are on the truck for delivery sometime today. If they get here early I'll hit them today, otherwise it will happen tomorrow. Taking both my PTM's and my TS-2's out for comparison.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Ok, I gave in. I just ordered the TS-1's, 5-PW, and will shaft them up with some KBS Tour 90 shafts I have.

These look great in all the pics on here....

I have played Titleist 712 AP1 irons since they were brought out. Played well with them, but never really liked the bulk.

Bought a set of Mizuno MP4 blades a few weeks back for a cheap ($167.00!) experiment. Played really well the last couple rounds.

But I want something in-between the 2 sizes.

I have tried the MMB Blacks, and they dug a little too much on some shots for me.

These should be perfect!

Is anyone else noticing higher ball speeds from the TS-1 compared to the TS-2? I have both in a 7 iron bent to the same loft and shafted up with the Modus 3 tour 120. TS-1 has a bit more launch and spin.
I have not backed it up with more data but I have seen the TS-1 in early testing perform just a little better than the loft says it should compared to the TS-2. So it doesnt surprise me you are seeing a little better ball speed.

The best tool for repositioning a ferrule is one of those rubber shaft clamps that come in grip kits.
I'm not talking about getting them back in place. I'm talking about the initial install. I've been building clubs for 20 years. These have failed at 90% so far. Now that I know they are prone I'll do them differently with epoxy when setting them. Unless someone has some other kind of fix.

Why use them at all?

The best tool for repositioning a ferrule is one of those rubber shaft clamps that come in grip kits.
I'm not talking about getting them back in place. I'm talking about the initial install. I've been building clubs for 20 years. These have failed at 90% so far. Now that I know they are prone I'll do them differently with epoxy when setting them. Unless someone has some other kind of fix.

Why use them at all?

Well they make for a very clean install. Saves having to turn them. But truthfully they are not needed. I just built a set of the TS-1s with epoxying them in place so I'll see how they do.

Is anyone else noticing higher ball speeds from the TS-1 compared to the TS-2? I have both in a 7 iron bent to the same loft and shafted up with the Modus 3 tour 120. TS-1 has a bit more launch and spin.
I have not backed it up with more data but I have seen the TS-1 in early testing perform just a little better than the loft says it should compared to the TS-2. So it doesnt surprise me you are seeing a little better ball speed.

Just hit the TS-1 6i again with the Modus 3 T120 S and I was able to replicate the ridiculous numbers I saw last weekend but on a different monitor. When nutted I was seeing 190 carry, 15-16* launch and around 4000 spin. Basically what my TE 4i would do with Steelfiber i95s. On average low 180s carry with awesome dispersion (I was all over the face today). Very forgiving on thin and toe hits (my usual misses). You can feel the spring face when hitting it on the screws.

Just hit the TS-1 6i again with the Modus 3 T120 S and I was able to replicate the ridiculous numbers I saw last weekend but on a different monitor. When nutted I was seeing 190 carry, 15-16* launch and around 4000 spin. Basically what my TE 4i would do with Steelfiber i95s. On average low 180s carry with awesome dispersion (I was all over the face today). Very forgiving on thin and toe hits (my usual misses). You can feel the spring face when hitting it on the screws.

I'm really loving the Modus 120 shafts with these too. Much smoother profile than the PX LZ I had been playing with. I built a Mizzy 919T 7 iron in the same loft with the same shaft and the TS-1 is smokin it in both forgiveness, dispersion, and distance. Now to build a 4 iron in the 1 and 2 to see what's going in the bottom of the iron set.

The slightly lower COG of the 1's could account for the extra launch/spin

I'm seeing a bit more spin and maybe 1 - 2 MPH more ball speed (estimate) with the TS-1s compared to my CF16s. Not completely pertinent to this discussion. Sort of like comparing apples to grapefruit.

My shipment arrived late so no chance to hit the TS-2”s today. Here are my first impressions:

Fit and finish are top quality. You could put any big brand name on these and not bat an eye.

The top line is thick. I’ve always preferred thin top lines, and if Popeye hadn’t given these such glowing reviews all last season I would have gone with the TS-1”s. In the end, like I posted before, the TS-1 specs are so close to my PTM”s that I decided to go with the TS-2 design. Back to the top line...this head is a lesson in proportionality. The blade length is slightly longer than the PTM”s, but they look shorter. Addressing them side by side, the PTM”s have a “nicer” top line but the blade looks excessively long sitting next to the TS-2. The TS-2 looks perfectly proportioned.

One criticism of the PTM is the short irons look too large. The short irons of the TS-2 look more compact. From 4-iron to gap wedge, they look and set up very nice. Although I’ve always preferred blades, I’ve dabbled and played with chunkier designs. I think these are the nicest looking “chunky” irons I’ve seen. Unlike other similar designs, these look “right”.

Can’t wait to hit them.

My shipment arrived late so no chance to hit the TS-2s today. Here are my first impressions:

Fit and finish are top quality. You could put any big brand name on these and not bat an eye.

The top line is thick. Ive always preferred thin top lines, and if Popeye hadnt given these such glowing reviews all last season I would have gone with the TS-1s. In the end, like I posted before, the TS-1 specs are so close to my PTMs that I decided to go with the TS-2 design. Back to the top line...this head is a lesson in proportionality. The blade length is slightly longer than the PTMs, but they look shorter. Addressing them side by side, the PTMs have a nicer top line but the blade looks excessively long sitting next to the TS-2. The TS-2 looks perfectly proportioned.

One criticism of the PTM is the short irons look too large. The short irons of the TS-2 look more compact. From 4-iron to gap wedge, they look and set up very nice. Although Ive always preferred blades, Ive dabbled and played with chunkier designs. I think these are the nicest looking chunky irons Ive seen. Unlike other similar designs, these look right.

Cant wait to hit them.

Isnt it weird how huge the PTM looks compared to the TS-2. I was shocked when I compared specs. That top line will vanish once you start playing them.

My shipment arrived late so no chance to hit the TS-2”s today. Here are my first impressions:

The top line is thick. I’ve always preferred thin top lines, and if Popeye hadn’t given these such glowing reviews all last season I would have gone with the TS-1”s. In the end, like I posted before, the TS-1 specs are so close to my PTM”s that I decided to go with the TS-2 design. Back to the top line...this head is a lesson in proportionality. The blade length is slightly longer than the PTM”s, but they look shorter. Addressing them side by side, the PTM”s have a “nicer” top line but the blade looks excessively long sitting next to the TS-2. The TS-2 looks perfectly proportioned.

One criticism of the PTM is the short irons look too large. The short irons of the TS-2 look more compact. From 4-iron to gap wedge, they look and set up very nice. Although I’ve always preferred blades, I’ve dabbled and played with chunkier designs. I think these are the nicest looking “chunky” irons I’ve seen. Unlike other similar designs, these look “right”.

Can’t wait to hit them.

Isnt it weird how huge the PTM looks compared to the TS-2. I was shocked when I compared specs. That top line will vanish once you start playing them.

It's bizarre, and the blacks look smaller than the chrome but still look bigger than the TS-2's.

Can’t wait to hit them.

Great way to describe the look. It is really weird that they appear smaller than they are. I made that comment to the pro on the shop at Golf Works and said they look smaller than the 919T. He then laughed at me and held them next to each other. I'm with Popeye, you won't notice the top line after a couple sessions with these irons. They really are special. I just wish I could go hit them off grass so that I could decide which one to go with.

I had to go look on the site to confirm, indeed the ts2 blade length is longer vs. PTM). No way I would have thought that playing an 8i in both offerings.

Could be a mistake. I've seen it happen before on their site and catalogs

I lined them up side by side and the TS-2's are a tick longer. This completely changes from the address position. It's an illusion created by the proportions of the two heads.