Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Tipped .5" past recommended for stiff, which was as far as i could go as I play my 7 at 37.5.

And like Popeye said, they work. They may not have smooth modern feel like a kbs or project X, but they are solid with a noticeable True Temper DNA; old school type feel, in a good way. Reliable. And i will definitely use it in the MMBs when i build a set.

Damn those are some serious scores.

So youre rocking 5-7 TS2, 8-P TS1 and Gap TS2?

No, 5,6 and GW TS-2 and the rest,,, 7- PW TS-1. This past season it was all TS-2 and the split set was just an experiment over the sim season. I have not had any issues with gaps as it's very easy to take a little off the 6 iron or step on the 7 a little more. Distance control is stellar.

The reason for keeping the GW is because of how bad I tend to dig with the GW and SW. The extra sole width is something I need.

The pure reason I am scoring so well is that distance control. The sim gives you exact distances to the hole and elevation changes. So I have a definite number to shoot for before I take my next shot.

I finalized my bag and ended up going TS-1/TS-2 combo. I have a 7 iron TS-2 in both a Modus 105 and 120. I'll sell cheap if anyone wants to test. Both only have indoor range balls hit, so new condition.

Where did you break your set? Possibly interested in the test iron.. Really would just want the head as I have some Recoils waiting patiently for me to decide on the TS-1/TS-2.

I went 4 and 5 in the TS-2 and 6-GW in TS-1. I can pull the heads if needed.

Therty.... the score shafts are the real deal. They are inexpensive but far from cheap. A huge lot was made for an OEM and for some reason they didnt use them. Golfworks scooped them up and I believe they continue to have them made. It's an excellent shaft with great feel. They hold up to some serious swing speeds as well.

This is great to hear.

I have the TS2 coming with the score shafts 4 to gw.

I was a little unsure of the score shafts so this eases the concern

I'm so glad that some are discovering Maltby heads this season - many thanks to Popeye and others. I've played Maltby forged for quite some time. My favorite was the KE4 forged with the weight screw right on the back. Solid club. Just a word on the DBM finished irons. Remember if you want to bend them for loft and lie you can't. I've liked the black finish but play a flatter lie than most so had to stay away.

@popeye - the weather's always good on the Sim mate.

There's a post Christmas sale at the moment at Golfworks Canada so I'll be picking up a GW and PW in the TS2. PX 5.5 shafts - or I might spring for some Xcal pros. I see there up on the Xcal website again. I wonder if Golfworks will ever carry them again? Awesome shaft.

Have fun in the warmer climates gentlemen and enjoy your new TS forgings.

-Bill-

I have been asked about worries with gaps and I recorded my carry distances today on my set. The only one not observed is the GW as that was an approx because a big GW swing spits out an angry ball back at me.

These are aggressive swings with actually a new swing of sorts. I was seeing some amazing ball speeds.

5 and 6 is a TS-2 the rest is TS-1 all with DG 105 S300 shafts.

I have carry only as on the range function I think the roll out too far. Oncourse usually backs up the carry numbers. c617e09faa3904933a82d2c02b523fc3.jpg

Though the 7 iron is 6 degrees weaker than the 6 iron it holds it's own. In early testing I had seen the TS-1 perform over and above what the loft dictates and in this set, it seems to fit just right.

Oncourse I had no issues taking some off of a swing to control a distance and the same for asking for a little more oomff.

I just got my set of 4-gw TS-2 heads and shafted up the 5/8/gw with dg 105 x100 shafts. Went immediately to the range as course was not open due to frost/wetness. Hit balls on the range mat into the midday sun and compared them with my g400 heads. The overall size of the heads is much smaller than I would have imagined and a good choice in me going with the ts-2 vs the ts-1. Top line larger but not really anything you notice after a few swings.

Hit my gap wedge in the g400 and seemed nice. Then hit the ts-2 gw and felt similar, low hits a little firm. Trajectory and direction similar. Then hit the 8 iron and was hitting shorts great trajectory and straight shot after shot. Thinking I was just a little warmed up I switched to the g400 8 iron. Started hitting more and more pull draws the shot that I absolutely hate. Thinking it was a fluke went back to the ts-2 and once again straight shots none left.

The tried the 5 iron, also straight not a single pulled shot. Whether it’s the 105 x100 in the ts-2 vs the modus 105 stiff I have in my g400 that is giving me straight flight I am not sure but I am super excited to see that. I went one after 15 mins on the range to build up the rest of the set! Hopefully I get to play a Jan round on Sunday to put them through the paces.

So far glad I got the x100 shafts.

I'm so glad that some are discovering Maltby heads this season - many thanks to Popeye and others. I've played Maltby forged for quite some time. My favorite was the KE4 forged with the weight screw right on the back. Solid club. Just a word on the DBM finished irons. Remember if you want to bend them for loft and lie you can't. I've liked the black finish but play a flatter lie than most so had to stay away.

@popeye - the weather's always good on the Sim mate.

There's a post Christmas sale at the moment at Golfworks Canada so I'll be picking up a GW and PW in the TS2. PX 5.5 shafts - or I might spring for some Xcal pros. I see there up on the Xcal website again. I wonder if Golfworks will ever carry them again? Awesome shaft.

Have fun in the warmer climates gentlemen and enjoy your new TS forgings.

-Bill-

Yes it's always sunny and light wind on the sim. But I have always struggled to score.

As for the Xcaliber shafts ever getting back into Golfworks.... not a snowball's chance in hell unless the Xcalibers start selling so well that they cant ignore them. They had a good run with Golfworks but some times things just dont work out as they should. I like the new graphics on the Pro line of iron shafts.. The new driver shafts are amazing too.

I just got my set of 4-gw TS-2 heads and shafted up the 5/8/gw with dg 105 x100 shafts. Went immediately to the range as course was not open due to frost/wetness. Hit balls on the range mat into the midday sun and compared them with my g400 heads. The overall size of the heads is much smaller than I would have imagined and a good choice in me going with the ts-2 vs the ts-1. Top line larger but not really anything you notice after a few swings.

Hit my gap wedge in the g400 and seemed nice. Then hit the ts-2 gw and felt similar, low hits a little firm. Trajectory and direction similar. Then hit the 8 iron and was hitting shorts great trajectory and straight shot after shot. Thinking I was just a little warmed up I switched to the g400 8 iron. Started hitting more and more pull draws the shot that I absolutely hate. Thinking it was a fluke went back to the ts-2 and once again straight shots none left.

The tried the 5 iron, also straight not a single pulled shot. Whether it's the 105 x100 in the ts-2 vs the modus 105 stiff I have in my g400 that is giving me straight flight I am not sure but I am super excited to see that. I went one after 15 mins on the range to build up the rest of the set! Hopefully I get to play a Jan round on Sunday to put them through the paces.

So far glad I got the x100 shafts.

Awesome. I know it's nerve wracking ordering something you can't test and it's equally nerve wracking giving people advice on the internet that costs them money. I'm glad that so far your experience matches mine.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I have been asked about worries with gaps and I recorded my carry distances today on my set. The only one not observed is the GW as that was an approx because a big GW swing spits out an angry ball back at me.

These are aggressive swings with actually a new swing of sorts. I was seeing some amazing ball speeds.

I have carry only as on the range function I think the roll out too far. Oncourse usually backs up the carry numbers. c617e09faa3904933a82d2c02b523fc3.jpg

Though the 7 iron is 6 degrees weaker than the 6 iron it holds it's own. In early testing I had seen the TS-1 perform over and above what the loft dictates and in this set, it seems to fit just right.

Oncourse I had no issues taking some off of a swing to control a distance and the same for asking for a little more oomff.

Popeye,

Thanks for the numbers!

Do you happen to know how the 7-PW in the TS-2s compare to the TS-1s yardages, club for club?

Thx

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

Popeye,

Thanks for the numbers!

Do you happen to know how the 7-PW in the TS-2s compare to the TS-1s yardages, club for club?

Thx

Rox

No I dont have that data. I dont have a full set of the TS-2s right now as I made up a set for my son inlaw. Later on this spring I'll have a full set of the TS-2s again.

I did some head to heads of the PWs and the 7 irons. The TS-2s were longer but it wasnt a huge margin. It was in the 3-4 yard range. I did a lot of oncourse testing with the 7 irons and both were hitting the green and I was seeing the same gap that the sim was showing. The TS-2 is also more forgiving and really comes through in the long irons.

I snuck in a quick nine today with them. First impressions were that they were right on target and straight and distance was pretty consistent as well hitting multiple balls of several tees. All landing in the same distance zone with some mild dispersion but much tighter cluster than I am used to. My game today was iffy and my usual miss is thin and felt it with the clubs. Not buttery soft on thin hits but I guess that is to be expected. When flushed in the center felt great. I even chipped one in with the GW from green side. 4 iron was great to hit off tees and I so wish there was a 3/2 iron to use as a driving iron. I could always make a 4 iron 18 degrees but would hate to have two 4 irons in the bag.

With regard to wedges, I had the 56 mg tour grind today but I think I need the m series 54 for my 105/100 club as I have to really step on the 56 yo hit that number. Inshafted up a 54 tour grind with matching dg 105 x100 and have the dg 115 s300 in the 60 mg as the sole is great for finesse shots around the green. I am playing again tomorrow so will see how I get along with them then. So far looking good just need to make sure to avoid the thin shorts. Maybe not as soft as my g400 on thin shots as it does not have as much sole as the g400 but that is what I am looking for. Turf interaction was great.

My g400 larger soles work great in the spring when it is soft but once the baked out summer fairways come around it is hard to make good contact. That is why I did great mid June with the iblades for a few weeks but could not hit them so well later in the fall. I am hoping the sole of this will work both when soft and when firm.

Pics of new irons and Maltby tg 56/60.

Nice-- really looking at those wedges. Want to have GW bend them 2 degree strong for me... Hope they can.

What is your impression of them?

If you are trying to bend the 52 tour grind mg wedge to 50 it will not happen. They are not bendable. Will snap in no time. There is a pic on here of a 52 broken st hosel and it happened to me as well at a golf galaxy several years ago when I tried to have the 56 bent to 58. Maybe they can hand pick a 52 at 50 but a good option would be the m series 50. Great club as well and great spin and feel.

I snuck in a quick nine today with them. First impressions were that they were right on target and straight and distance was pretty consistent as well hitting multiple balls of several tees. All landing in the same distance zone with some mild dispersion but much tighter cluster than I am used to. My game today was iffy and my usual miss is thin and felt it with the clubs. Not buttery soft on thin hits but I guess that is to be expected. When flushed in the center felt great. I even chipped one in with the GW from green side. 4 iron was great to hit off tees and I so wish there was a 3/2 iron to use as a driving iron. I could always make a 4 iron 18 degrees but would hate to have two 4 irons in the bag.

With regard to wedges, I had the 56 mg tour grind today but I think I need the m series 54 for my 105/100 club as I have to really step on the 56 yo hit that number. Inshafted up a 54 tour grind with matching dg 105 x100 and have the dg 115 s300 in the 60 mg as the sole is great for finesse shots around the green. I am playing again tomorrow so will see how I get along with them then. So far looking good just need to make sure to avoid the thin shorts. Maybe not as soft as my g400 on thin shots as it does not have as much sole as the g400 but that is what I am looking for. Turf interaction was great.

My g400 larger soles work great in the spring when it is soft but once the baked out summer fairways come around it is hard to make good contact. That is why I did great mid June with the iblades for a few weeks but could not hit them so well later in the fall. I am hoping the sole of this will work both when soft and when firm.

It is very difficult to find tighter lies than Bandon and the TS-2 sole was flawless. They did really well with the geometry of the sole.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I think hand picking is like $3

$5 for hand pick.

Great. Thanks!

I ordered a 5 and an 8 to test, 2* flat. 5 matches and I love it. The 8 still feels upright so if I do decide to pull the trigger I’d probably have to go in with the hand pick and bending service. Will have to factor additional cost into the decision.

I think hand picking is like $3

$5 for hand pick.

Great. Thanks!

I ordered a 5 and an 8 to test, 2* flat. 5 matches and I love it. The 8 still feels upright so if I do decide to pull the trigger I’d probably have to go in with the hand pick and bending service. Will have to factor additional cost into the decision.

Interesting....I also have an 8i bent 2* flat and it seems standard to me. I'm going to get the lie angle checked out the next time I'm in a shop!

The other thing I've noticed on these, in looking down at the 8i vs. the PTM and MMB, the TS2 appears to have significantly more offset. Spec is .120 vs. .110 so ~ 3mm to 2.7mm, really nothing but the necks look dramatically different.

Anyone else see what I'm seeing. The transition from the hosel, down to the neck, to the leading edge, there is significant curve on the TS2.

Pics of new irons and Maltby tg 56/60.

Nice-- really looking at those wedges. Want to have GW bend them 2 degree strong for me... Hope they can.

What is your impression of them?

If you are trying to bend the 52 tour grind mg wedge to 50 it will not happen. They are not bendable. Will snap in no time. There is a pic on here of a 52 broken st hosel and it happened to me as well at a golf galaxy several years ago when I tried to have the 56 bent to 58. Maybe they can hand pick a 52 at 50 but a good option would be the m series 50. Great club as well and great spin and feel.

Eric, I was going to say that 4 iron would be a beast.. I'm going to take my 5 wood out if I can hit it well. Need some warmer weather though.

It would be nice to see some at address shots of the TS 1 next to a comparable club like the P790 or PXG, T-MP, or anything that is similar in size. I'm up in the air with both of these. I am not to keen on the topline of the TS 2, but pictures can usually add a few pounds, so they may not be that big. It seems that they are pretty close in the forgiveness area, even the Golfworks states that both irons are just as playable as the other they are really so close in the measurements they put on the clubs.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Don't happen to have any P790's or PXG's sitting around. But a comparison with what I do have, all 7 irons. L to R: '99 Hogan Apex, TS-1, Ping i20.

Just got finished with blowing on some grips. Now ready to hit the golf dome range for some swats. No simulator nearby, to cold for outdoors, the best I've got for the time being. Was also nervous about the TS-2 topline, despite the valued opinions to the contrary. An iron design feature that I have a problem with. Finding a set of heads, for a good price, made the decision for me.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It would be nice to see some at address shots of the TS 1 next to a comparable club like the P790 or PXG, T-MP, or anything that is similar in size. I'm up in the air with both of these. I am not to keen on the topline of the TS 2, but pictures can usually add a few pounds, so they may not be that big. It seems that they are pretty close in the forgiveness area, even the Golfworks states that both irons are just as playable as the other they are really so close in the measurements they put on the clubs.
In the beginning of this thread there is side by side shots of the TS-2 and the P 790.

I was hitting a PXG last week with the Accra i80 shafts and the over all shape and looks are very very similar with the TS-1. Didnt think to do a side by side photo shoot. Distance wise they were pretty close but I was getting more distance with those Accra shafts. Just a truly amazing shaft. No wonder they are so expensive.

Don't happen to have any P790's or PXG's sitting around. But a comparison with what I do have, all 7 irons. L to R: '99 Hogan Apex, TS-1, Ping i20.

Just got finished with blowing on some grips. Now ready to hit the golf dome range for some swats. No simulator nearby, to cold for outdoors, the best I've got for the time being. Was also nervous about the TS-2 topline, despite the valued opinions to the contrary. An iron design feature that I have a problem with. Finding a set of heads, for a good price, made the decision for me.

Thanks for those pics!

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star