Maltby TS2

Popeye64

It would be nice to see some at address shots of the TS 1 next to a comparable club like the P790 or PXG, T-MP, or anything that is similar in size. I'm up in the air with both of these. I am not to keen on the topline of the TS 2, but pictures can usually add a few pounds, so they may not be that big. It seems that they are pretty close in the forgiveness area, even the Golfworks states that both irons are just as playable as the other they are really so close in the measurements they put on the clubs.
In the beginning of this thread there is side by side shots of the TS-2 and the P 790.

Yeah, I definitely saw those and at first glance I was turned off. Really, I was just seeing if somebody on the forum would be able to show the TS 1 and or the TS 2 visually next to some of the competition out there. Reason being is that I am really interested in these Maltby irons, secondly I don't think I will be able to see them in person. I don't know how many times I have viewed pics online and then saw in person and my opinion changed immediately sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

• 2 weeks later...

Getting used to new driver (because the driving range is not golf), hit 4 fairways, still shot 78.

Next day, had driver dialed in, hit 12 fairways, shot 71.

Love these irons.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

DFinch, we spoke some time ago about another set of irons in comparison to TM SLDR (which we had both played, I still do) and you said that they were superior in look and feel, but that they would not be a jump in performance from the SLDR. In your opinion, do you see clear performance benefits to the TS-2 over the SLDRs? Thank you.

It's been a long time since I've played the SLDR's, but I definitely liked them at the time. There's just something special about the TS-2. The proportions, the way they set up, the feel on center strikes, the forgiveness on off-center hits(especially high/low and toe, the turf interaction rivalled only by Srixon's sole design, and the distance consistency. It's such a complete package.

I average 44% GIR. Since the switch I have gone 50%, 67%, 78%, 50%, 67%, 78%, 67%.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Those look like the j40 DPC (an awesome club). Has anyone hit both the j40 and he TS1 that can comment? How are touch shots (like intermediate shots) with the pitching and gap wedges? Can they be finessed or is it something like callaways CF16 apex’s which were “forged†but tough to take 10 yards off for example.

Both clubs are forged and are blade-like but have that cavity pocket only on the bottom - sort of halfway between blades and cavity backs.

A huge gripe from a lot of us j40 cult members is the lack of a gap wedge. You’d have to bend it a half a degree weak but that might work.

The lofts (20* 3 iron) also track the j40 DPCs and not a traditional blade.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Those look like the j40 DPC (an awesome club). Has anyone hit both the j40 and he TS1 that can comment? How are touch shots (like intermediate shots) with the pitching and gap wedges? Can they be finessed or is it something like callaways CF16 apex’s which were “forged†but tough to take 10 yards off for example.

Both clubs are forged and are blade-like but have that cavity pocket only on the bottom - sort of halfway between blades and cavity backs.

A huge gripe from a lot of us j40 cult members is the lack of a gap wedge. You’d have to bend it a half a degree weak but that might work.

The lofts (20* 3 iron) also track the j40 DPCs and not a traditional blade.

I have not found it hard to flight or finesse shots with the TS-1s. Saw them off to flight them down. Distance control is more precise than CF16s. Lower vertical CG makes the TS-1 more accomodating of hard pan lies too.

They just jacked up the prices today, big time. I was LITERALLY getting on today to add the TS-1 to the cart to order and they are $72 per head now!

Please tell me this is a mistake... Tell me it's some sick joke...

If it's legit, sorry GolfWorks, I was ready to order a whole bag of clubs approaching $1K, but not now. No way I'm paying that much for a component head. Plus, they raised the prices of shafts. The S300 I was going to order is $8 more than it was. Nope. I'll find some used Mizuno head for 1/2 that price.

Edit: I was on yesterday putting my large order together and they had the old price listed. So, this just happened. Big mistake. Ask Swing Science and Dynacraft...

They just jacked up the prices today, big time. I was LITERALLY getting on today to add the TS-1 to the cart to order and they are $72 per head now!

If it's legit, sorry GolfWorks, I was ready to order a whole bag of clubs approaching $1K, but not now. No way I'm paying that much for a component head. Plus, they raised the prices of shafts. The S300 I was going to order is $8 more than it was. Nope. I'll find some used Mizuno for 1/2 that price.

Edit: I was on yesterday putting my large order together and they had the old price listed. So, this just happened. Big mistake. Ask Swing Science and Dynacraft...

Hmm....here in Canada the intro price was $73 per head and dropped to $62 or there about a for the first 2 weeks of 2019. Today they’re back up to $73.

They’re a great iron, but I do agree the price point is borderline and it’s a tough decision to take the plunge and order.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

If it's legit, sorry GolfWorks, I was ready to order a whole bag of clubs approaching $1K, but not now. No way I'm paying that much for a component head. Plus, they raised the prices of shafts. The S300 I was going to order is $8 more than it was. Nope. I'll find some used Mizuno head for 1/2 that price.

I just added a full set of heads to my cart and they were still $49.99. I'd either try again or call them. Maybe clear your cookies and reload.

They show $50 a head for me. Maybe clear your browser history, and try again?

Ok, that was weird. I'm in Indiana, did they think I was overseas? They went back to normal. My 40y/o butt almost had a heart attack haha. I've had these on my radar since July

Welcome to the forum!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Ok, that was weird. I'm in Indiana, did they think I was overseas? They went back to normal. My 40y/o butt almost had a heart attack haha. I've had these on my radar since July

My best friend and his family are from Wabash. You are sort of "overseas". ;)

Same thing here. Prices are now $72 a head, almost $850 for a set. Refreshed browser and cleared history/cookies.

Weird. I'm still seeing $49.99.

Sorry for the rant. My grandfather was a club builder early 70's-90's and I built my 1st set of clubs with his help 20yrs ago -Dynacraft Copperheads CU. So I finally decided it was time for an upgrade last summer. I have researched everything I possibly can. I've been watching Popeye on various forums, checking in daily to see if he's got an update on the TS-1/2 comparisons. So when I saw that I thought it was all for nothing, I freaked out lol

Sorry for the rant. My grandfather was a club builder early 70's-90's and I built my 1st set of clubs with his help 20yrs ago -Dynacraft Copperheads CU. So I finally decided it was time for an upgrade last summer. I have researched everything I possibly can. I've been watching Popeye on various forums, checking in daily to see if he's got an update on the TS-1/2 comparisons. So when I saw that I thought it was all for nothing, I freaked out lol
Sorry for the lack of updates on the TS-1,2 battle but its sim season only right now. Trust me I would love to be able to being doing some head to head playoffs out on course which is where these really have to be done.

When things warm and dry up I may do some two ball challenges from the fairway and play each ball out. Hit a TS-2 and then a TS-1 and try to track stats as best I can. See if one can eclipse the other. Playability is very close on the Maltby scale but the two irons for me just have different personalities. Whether is psychological or not,, looking down at the TS-2 gave me this profound confidence of hitting a great shot that I knew was finding the green. The TS-1 is a sportier look behind the ball and though performed well I didnt have enough on course time with them to truly make a solid decision of kne or the other

A while back someone asked if I could make up a no look back set and be happy with them and that would still be the TS-2. Because of the way they feel and how forgiving they have been on the mishits. These days my mindset is on how bad are my misses going to be rather then how great are the well struck shots. That mentality has allowed my handicap to be as low as it's ever been. And not just a once a month super low round but back to back sub par rounds.

Spending full rounds with only TS-1s in play on course has still not happened yet so there may be some sway in my thinking but my gut still leans to the TS-2. Not as sexy but the scorecard doesnt care.

Same thing here. Prices are now $72 a head, almost $850 for a set. Refreshed browser and cleared history/cookies.

Make sure you aren't on the Canada site. I was looking at some other stuff and the prices had jumped. I looked and realized for some reason the site switched to the Golfworks Canada site for no reason.

Make sure you aren't on the Canada site. I was looking at some other stuff and the prices had jumped. I looked and realized for some reason the site switched to the Golfworks Canada site for no reason.

I checked prices on my tablet earlier, got $49.99. Checked just now on my PC, same.

I'm wondering if those seeing $70+ were somehow getting a finished club price? If not the Canuckistan site, of course.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Same thing happened to me this morning. I had a momentary panick and looked at my address bar and saw the .ca. I manually put .com and was back to 'Murican prices.

Have not had a chance to play outside since first week of January and now I am working in the simulator to figure out my clubs for an upcoming trip to Palm Springs. Have been going nuts changing from iblades to g400 to dbms to iblades and back and forth. I got a set of nippon ST proto shaft( precursor to 105 modus) in x flex that I have been moving around in the different heads. I love the feel of the modus 105 I had in my g400 and wanted something similar in x flex to minimize left miss. One day I am in love with my iblades and say nothing will change and the next day can’t hit them and love my g400. All these times I would hit the ts-2 with dg 105 X100 and it would seem much harsher feeling than my nippons in the iblades and g400. I was convinced that I would take the g400 to have as much forgiveness as possible for the trip.

In my 6th full set reshaft in 3 days I decided to try then nippon ST in a few Maltby heads.

What an improvement in feel! Now felt so much softer on solid hits and also on mishits. I ended up reshafting the entire set with the nippon shafts and I am getting close to making those the travel set! Now I hopefully have the feel of the iblades/g400, the narrow sole of the iblades and the forgiveness of the larger sole of the g400 all rolled into one!

6hdcp, 108mph ss. Wondering if the Score LT shaft would be a good fit for the TS-1. I hit it fairly high as is but love the 115g shaft. DG is too heavy. Anyone have any experience with them in the TS-1? Willing to go 120g but don't want the Kbs price. Thanks.
I had the Score LT in the 6 iron TS-2 head and it performed very well. My SS is very close to yours and flirt in the not quite S, not quite X flex zone. I cut the shaft as a S and it more than held up to my swing. Felt great and I had good control. I decided to not build a full set as I love the 105 weight class. Tough to not chose the Score LT with its price being such a steal.

6hdcp, 108mph ss. Wondering if the Score LT shaft would be a good fit for the TS-1. I hit it fairly high as is but love the 115g shaft. DG is too heavy. Anyone have any experience with them in the TS-1? Willing to go 120g but don't want the Kbs price. Thanks.
I had the Score LT in the 6 iron TS-2 head and it performed very well. My SS is very close to yours and flirt in the not quite S, not quite X flex zone. I cut the shaft as a S and it more than held up to my swing. Felt great and I had good control. I decided to not build a full set as I love the 105 weight class. Tough to not chose the Score LT with its price being such a steal.

Thank you Popeye. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Cheers!