Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Anyone tried the TS2 irons with a C Taper or Project X Rifle shaft? Those are two I like a lot. How is the head in terms of spin? I usually have plenty and seem to get more penetrating flight with those shafts. But I like midweight so I go either R-plus in the C Taper or 5.5 in PX to get 115g uncut.

Just wondering if someone has tried one of those builds or if there is another 110g-115g shaft that might be similar, point me to it.

Maltbys house brand of True Temper shafts the Score LT come in at 117g raw weight. It is a very smooth shaft with good kick to them. A very underrated shaft and at under $8 a shaft they are more than worth a try. I find they are a little softer to flex than the DG line.

I forget the story behind these shafts but I vaguely remember them being built for an OEM and it falling through and Golfworks acquired the shafts. And then I think they just kept ordering them. You don't have the fancy label on them to wow your partners but they work pretty damn well.

Anyone tried the TS2 irons with a C Taper or Project X Rifle shaft? Those are two I like a lot. How is the head in terms of spin? I usually have plenty and seem to get more penetrating flight with those shafts. But I like midweight so I go either R-plus in the C Taper or 5.5 in PX to get 115g uncut.

Just wondering if someone has tried one of those builds or if there is another 110g-115g shaft that might be similar, point me to it.

Maltbys house brand of True Temper shafts the Score LT come in at 117g raw weight. It is a very smooth shaft with good kick to them. A very underrated shaft and at under $8 a shaft they are more than worth a try. I find they are a little softer to flex than the DG line.

I forget the story behind these shafts but I vaguely remember them being built for an OEM and it falling through and Golfworks acquired the shafts. And then I think they just kept ordering them. You don't have the fancy label on them to wow your partners but they work pretty damn well.

Same shaft as the tt dynalite 109, and the dynalite 105 that Nike used in the covert vrs 2.0 irons. Have a buddy with the Nike irons and that step pattern is unmistakable.

It is hard to pass up the deal they offer with this shaft. I typically find DG a little stiffer, so if this plays a touch softer then a stiff might be just right. I swing a 6 iron at about 88 mph and I like that mid-weight shaft.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

It is hard to pass up the deal they offer with this shaft. I typically find DG a little stiffer, so if this plays a touch softer then a stiff might be just right. I swing a 6 iron at about 88 mph and I like that mid-weight shaft.

Its definitely on the softer side of a DG stuff. They are great for demo shafts because they can easily be swing by a big cross section of players.

Here’s the 5 iron BTW. I love that they swing weight right at D3 with no added weight. Can’t wait to hit these tomorrow. They seem t have great balance and don’t feel as light as you would think.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

You know what's amazing? I was at a pro shop, and asked about Maltby. No one there, 7 guys (2 of which are on this site), know of the company.

The recurring comment was that this is a component company and they wouldn't trust their games to something like that.

I kinda figure that these are coming from the same manufacturing sites as the "big boys" clubs (TM, Titleist, etc). Am I wrong?

It's just ignorance on those guys part (willful or otherwise). They've probably never heard of Ralph Maltby then. Ask them if they know who Tom Wishon is. As for where the Maltby stuff is made IDK but there aren't a million foundries out there churning out golf equipment so there's a strong possibility that they are made in some of the same ones as the OEM's. Just a guess on my part.

Heck 99% of the guys that work at courses around here do not know what Miura or Epon is either. What is so sad is that half of them are students of the 2 PGM schools we have here and are in the PGAOA apprentice program

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

You know what's amazing? I was at a pro shop, and asked about Maltby. No one there, 7 guys (2 of which are on this site), know of the company.

The recurring comment was that this is a component company and they wouldn't trust their games to something like that.

I kinda figure that these are coming from the same manufacturing sites as the "big boys" clubs (TM, Titleist, etc). Am I wrong?

It's just ignorance on those guys part (willful or otherwise). They've probably never heard of Ralph Maltby then. Ask them if they know who Tom Wishon is. As for where the Maltby stuff is made IDK but there aren't a million foundries out there churning out golf equipment so there's a strong possibility that they are made in some of the same ones as the OEM's. Just a guess on my part.

Matby was the first to offer the DBM finish in the industry. It's starting to be offered by other OEMs. That finish is exclusive to just one foundry. So Maltby gear is made at the same places the name brand clubs are. Maltby over the years has done quite a bit of design work for OEMs but obviously keep quiet about it. Years later Britt or Jim Y might mention it in a post when it no longer matters To think that Maltby gear is inferior is simply an uninformed individual. My best selling tool is letting someone hit a comparable OEM head and then a Matbly head. The data speaks for itself.

Buying components you realize what the price of golf equipment really is. It simply baffles me why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a set of irons. A set of the state of the art TS-1 or 2 can be had built for 550 and that's the most expensive head they have ever offered but its extensive in the build process. 5 step true forgings, then welded,, filled with goo and finished. I will school guys on the course and they will look at my bag and wonder how I can play like I do with inferior clubs.. I just smile and take their money.

Matby was the first to offer the DBM finish in the industry. It's starting to be offered by other OEMs. That finish is exclusive to just one foundry. So Maltby gear is made at the same places the name brand clubs are. Maltby over the years has done quite a bit of design work for OEMs but obviously keep quiet about it. Years later Britt or Jim Y might mention it in a post when it no longer matters To think that Maltby gear is inferior is simply an uninformed individual. My best selling tool is letting someone hit a comparable OEM head and then a Matbly head. The data speaks for itself.

Buying components you realize what the price of golf equipment really is. It simply baffles me why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a set of irons. A set of the state of the art TS-1 or 2 can be had built for 550 and that's the most expensive head they have ever offered but its extensive in the build process. 5 step true forgings, then welded,, filled with goo and finished. I will school guys on the course and they will look at my bag and wonder how I can play like I do with inferior clubs.. I just smile and take their money.

Agree with you here. It's just like TV's. I have a house brand from Best Buy (Dynex) LCD from about 8 or 9 years ago and the thing works like a charm, excellent picture. They are made in the same plants as the marketed brands, the parts inside are the same essentially, but Best Buy can sell them for way less of a price just because of the non brand name. The guys at the Golfworks are very knowledgeable, have been in the industry for a long time, plus I feel that they are genuine in their replies and responses if you read the Maltby forum especially. Oh, and by the way, you can get these TS1's or TS2's for $450 with the TT Score LT shaft in the club paks, but I suspect you know that. I don't play golf for a living, nobody is paying me to play so why not give these things a try? I see a set of the TS1's in my future, how can you pass up those prices? Especially with the quality, and they tell you exactly how they are constructed, with what materials, no BS, I like that! With the "traditional" OEM's prices just getting more and more outrageously high, It baffles me also.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

hey popeye i had a guy in our group with the new black finished p790 hit a 6 iron around 170 nice shot i was about 150 out and hit my 8 irons ts1 and had a gimme birdie , the guy asked what were those irons and i said maltbys and he asked if he like the p790 he just had customed built for him and i they are great looking irons , i used to have the same set without the black finishe but i liked my maltbys better , so we kept chatting and he kept watching me hit shots better than him about every hole lol and then he asked could he hit one against his iron, so he threw down two balls 150 out and hit his 8 iron short a little chuncky and then hit mine pure and had it check at the hole about 6 feet and took pictures of them and asked would i build him the same exact set , hahahaha i said sure , i golfsmith for that course we were on, i thought u would get a kick out of that , i still like my decision to do ts2 4,5 iron and the rest ts1 i just wished they made a ts2 3 iron, smh

I’m thinking about making a split set w/ 5-7 irons being TS-2 with 8-PW being TS-1. I made a 7-iron already of the TS-2. The ball flies high and straight. The only thing I’m worried about is gapping because I see the lofts are not the same.

If you’ve done this have you bent the TS-1 a degree strong or are the gaps good? Are these similar to the Ping i500s in feel and distance?

Thanks!

I have found the TS-1s to have a little extra pop to them. Its not an iron that creates fliers but they seem to get more distance loft to loft than the TS-2. So doing a mixed set should not be an issue. If anything a slight adjustment on one or two irons but that's something that really needs to be done after you are comfortable with the new irons.

The distance difference on a 6 shot average comparing 7 irons, TS-1 and 2 the 2 was only 3 to 4 yards further. Ball speed and swing speed were identical over the average. I was seeing this same result on course when dropping two balls from the fairway. One club was deep or the middle of the green the other was mid to the front of the green. So to me it's something you could play with or just do some minor tweaks.

There was someone else who also saw the TS-1s being a little more efficient. Either one is a great option and splitting the set should give you a fun set of clubs.

I picked up a TS2 7 iron that is drying with my trusty Modus 130. Can’t wait to get her out on the course. Much better looking in person than the website. Thinking about doing a split set 5-8 TS2, 9-GW TS1, 54&60 M+ wedges.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

I have found the TS-1s to have a little extra pop to them. Its not an iron that creates fliers but they seem to get more distance loft to loft than the TS-2. So doing a mixed set should not be an issue. If anything a slight adjustment on one or two irons but that's something that really needs to be done after you are comfortable with the new irons.

The distance difference on a 6 shot average comparing 7 irons, TS-1 and 2 the 2 was only 3 to 4 yards further. Ball speed and swing speed were identical over the average. I was seeing this same result on course when dropping two balls from the fairway. One club was deep or the middle of the green the other was mid to the front of the green. So to me it's something you could play with or just do some minor tweaks.

There was someone else who also saw the TS-1s being a little more efficient. Either one is a great option and splitting the set should give you a fun set of clubs.

Makes me wonder if the slightly lower AVCOG of the 1's, is what is producing a little more efficiency

It spins more than the 2 as it should with less loft and it has more mass behind the ball so I'm not entirely sure what makes it more efficient. It may simply be the lower COG.

Makes me wonder if the slightly lower AVCOG of the 1's, is what is producing a little more efficiency

I’m thinking about making a split set w/ 5-7 irons being TS-2 with 8-PW being TS-1. I made a 7-iron already of the TS-2. The ball flies high and straight. The only thing I’m worried about is gapping because I see the lofts are not the same.

If you’ve done this have you bent the TS-1 a degree strong or are the gaps good? Are these similar to the Ping i500s in feel and distance?

Thanks!

i really did not even try it out enough to tell u if there was a gap , as soon as i built my setup i lofted all the ts1 to ts2 specs being i had to bend the lies one up , so for me i am gapped pretty good ,but i bet i didnt have to just did it cause i can easily lol

Popeye if you happen to have the ability, can you check the bottom of bore to ground difference (if any) between the PTM and the TS2?

I’m thinking of swapping my PTM 4-iron head for a TS2 4-iron head as a test but I want to make sure the bore depth/club length will work.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Popeye if you happen to have the ability, can you check the bottom of bore to ground difference (if any) between the PTM and the TS2?

I’m thinking of swapping my PTM 4-iron head for a TS2 4-iron head as a test but I want to make sure the bore depth/club length will work.

I know I have a PTM floating around loose but not sure if there is a TS-2. I get home Wednesday so I'll check. They will be 6 irons if i do.

I know I have a PTM floating around loose but not sure if there is a TS-2. I get home Wednesday so I'll check. They will be 6 irons if i do.

Awesome, thank you.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Not sure I have asked, but how do the some design compare between the 1 and 2. Love the 2, currently demoing an 8i. I can move some turf and I eventually went away from the TE's as a result.

I think you meant sole.. The sole of the TS-1 is smaller but it is built in the same style. A four way radius sole. You will move more turf with the 1 but not like the TE or even worse the MMB. If you are happy with the TS-2 go with them. The entire set is really something. If moving too much turf has been an issue go with the 2s and don't look back. I spent a lot of time hitting back to back balls with the 1 and 2 and the 2s were deadly in every way and still cover up an occasional bad shot surprisingly well. The 1 will show its more blade design when you mishit. You can work the TS-1 pretty well. The TS-2 is a point and shoot club with amazing turf forgiveness. Confidence level with those clubs lets me play fearless golf.

Not sure I have asked, but how do the some design compare between the 1 and 2. Love the 2, currently demoing an 8i. I can move some turf and I eventually went away from the TE's as a result.

I think you meant sole.. The sole of the TS-1 is smaller but it is built in the same style. A four way radius sole. You will move more turf with the 1 but not like the TE or even worse the MMB. If you are happy with the TS-2 go with them. The entire set is really something. If moving too much turf has been an issue go with the 2s and don't look back. I spent a lot of time hitting back to back balls with the 1 and 2 and the 2s were deadly in every way and still cover up an occasional bad shot surprisingly well. The 1 will show its more blade design when you mishit. You can work the TS-1 pretty well. The TS-2 is a point and shoot club with amazing turf forgiveness. Confidence level with those clubs lets me play fearless golf.

The.....8i demo really is point and shoot.

They are identical in bore length and bore to ground. I measured it with a depth guage and slid in a 4 iron shaft. The assembled length was the same. So swapping heads will leave you the same playing length

They are identical in bore length and bore to ground. I measured it with a depth guage and slid in a 4 iron shaft. The assembled length was the same. So swapping heads will leave you the same playing length

Thank you!!

I took my TS2 7 iron I put together out for a few balls at the range today before the next deluge of rain hits us. I must say they nailed it with this head. Fantastic turf interaction on soggy ground and the ball flight made me say wow several times. They seem to be a club longer than my Cobra F7s (at least with range rocks). I was going to combo set with the TS1s but I think I may follow Popeyes lead and go all 2s.

2024 Bag

I put together a 6 iron head with a recoil shaft, same as my current Srixon 545. Also picked up a callaway rogue pro 6 iron with synergy graphite shaft. In testing, the Srixon and TS-2 are very similar for distance and dispersion. The rogue was longer, possibly due to lower spin rate. The feel of the TS-2 was very good, as was the rogue. When I do my part, the Srixon feels the best to me.

timothym

It is getting really hard to justify $1000-$1300 for just a set of irons when you can build a quality set like the TS1, TS2, DBM, etc. for significantly less. I'm reusing the shafts from my last set and for less than $500 I'll have brand new irons 5-GW and 2 new wedges. All spec'd to my liking with new grips. Plus it just feels good to put a little of your own sweat into building your bag.

2024 Bag

It is getting really hard to justify $1000-$1300 for just a set of irons when you can build a quality set like the TS1, TS2, DBM, etc. for significantly less. I'm reusing the shafts from my last set and for less than $500 I'll have brand new irons 5-GW and 2 new wedges. All spec'd to my liking with new grips. Plus it just feels good to put a little of your own sweat into building your bag.

It's always been hard to justify paying much higher prices, when we can get a quality set of components custom built to our exact specs for much less. The cost of everything has become higher, but the difference has always been there