2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

Titleist-Golfer

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it only aesthetic? The face of the club is physically further back from the shaft. Meaning the clubface comes in contact later. Meaning, for some, the club is rotating closed at contact. If their path is still on target, they will not only pull it left, but it will hook as well.

That is only true for those who have forward shaft lean at impact. Most don't. That's the point of offset. The clubface comes in much later because most people have the hands and shaft behind the ball at impact.

I am not arguing against the validity of offset. I think it helps a lot of golfers. As do GI clubs in general. I am more or less trying to give BiggErn what he wants, which seems to be an explanation as to why someone would feel like they hook a GI club.

If you replace "hook" with "pull" you are 100% correct.

Setting the face back from the shaft slightly shifts the center of gravity backwards and gives the player a split-second longer to square the face. In a "good" player, who would tend to square the shaft correctly, the face closes slightly. But a closed face has nothing to do with a hook (a ball that curves right to left) but has a lot to do with a pull (a ball that goes straight left).

It helps a slicer not by stoping the slice but making the slice start farther left. If the ball starts more left of the target line the slice is less harmful.

Offset can also help get the ball in the air slightly.

You and BigErn are talking past each other because one of you is saying "left" and the other is saying "hook".

There are two lefts. One is a ball that curves left. One is a ball that goes straight, but starts and stays left of the target line. Face sends it, path bends it. Offset can tend to make a golfer pull the ball. It doesn't cause a hook. A hook is a curve and offset is irrelevant to it.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

How is it only aesthetic? The face of the club is physically further back from the shaft. Meaning the clubface comes in contact later. Meaning, for some, the club is rotating closed at contact. If their path is still on target, they will not only pull it left, but it will hook as well.

That is only true for those who have forward shaft lean at impact. Most don't. That's the point of offset. The clubface comes in much later because most people have the hands and shaft behind the ball at impact.

I am not arguing against the validity of offset. I think it helps a lot of golfers. As do GI clubs in general. I am more or less trying to give BiggErn what he wants, which seems to be an explanation as to why someone would feel like they hook a GI club.

If you replace "hook" with "pull" you are 100% correct.

Setting the face back from the shaft slightly shifts the center of gravity backwards and gives the player a split-second longer to square the face. In a "good" player, who would tend to square the shaft correctly, the face closes slightly. But a closed face has nothing to do with a hook (a ball that curves right to left) but has a lot to do with a pull (a ball that goes straight left).

It helps a slicer not by stoping the slice but making the slice start farther left. If the ball starts more left of the target line the slice is less harmful.

Offset can also help get the ball in the air slightly.

You and BigErn are talking past each other because one of you is saying "left" and the other is saying "hook".

There are two lefts. One is a ball that curves left. One is a ball that goes straight, but starts and stays left of the target line. Face sends it, path bends it. Offset can tend to make a golfer pull the ball. It doesn't cause a hook. A hook is a curve and offset is irrelevant to it.

Yes, that is the point I am attempting to make. But, I say hook because I envision the the club is now closed to path. So, unless they're already out to in, the ball will start left and keep on sliding.

But, I agree with what you are saying!

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I know what you are doing, just give it a break.

All this banter back and forth just confirmed that blades are better than GI for my swing; which I already had proof on lol

Henceforth, I play blades.

How far left does youre 4 iron start with .1 mm of offset? Any offset has to go left.

Never said it wasn’t. Never said for someone to play anything other than what they wanted. But if some double digit HC volunteers irrational and absurd reasoning some just point it out. If you don’t hit every shot solid you won’t benefit from blades. I’m not telling you to switch as you can still play what you want. You can say you’re not a good ball striker but blades just work for your swing but don’t expect a rational person to believe it.

I don’t care what you think and nor does your opinion matter. Your banter is just banter at face value, nothing more nor less.

We have already discussed about blades and GI features, I went on a limb to share my experience on shot shape, launch conditions, offset, design yada yada.

For the readers who want to fast track this thread:

Somebody asks me “Who are blades for?”

Answer: “For the guys that can hit blades.”

Others like I fall into the above quoted category. We may be a fractional segment and therefore, the start of this thread.

I know what you are doing, just give it a break.

All this banter back and forth just confirmed that blades are better than GI for my swing; which I already had proof on lol

Henceforth, I play blades.

How far left does you’re 4 iron start with .1 mm of offset? Any offset has to go left.

Never said it wasn’t. Never said for someone to play anything other than what they wanted. But if some double digit HC volunteers irrational and absurd reasoning some just point it out. If you don’t hit every shot solid you won’t benefit from blades. I’m not telling you to switch as you can still play what you want. You can say you’re not a good ball striker but blades just work for your swing but don’t expect a rational person to believe it.

Lol. My opinion is based on facts.....no fantasy

I already have proof, data, evidence and written banter to confirm my personal successes; got nothing to prove to you, nor other self righteous know it alls.

Anyways, please get back on topic Blades, history and future

Then the argument doesn’t pertain to you. If you’re a good ball striker that consistently pounds the sweetspot you’re not one of the one’s being ridiculous.

Then why are you in this thread?

This thread is about “blades, history and future”.

For example, I grew up playing blades and persimmons which makes the size of today’s blades monstrous, therefore easy to hit by my standard.

As for the present, OP did a great job of rounding out the modern pros playing forges.

As for the future, I see Srixons, Mizunos coming out with August releases. You have the big names like TM and Ping coming out with “hollow” blades...

Although I like to see continued releases since they are doing new things, I don’t plan on buying anytime soon as I already own the 900 Tours and have MP18 MB (I hit both sets well, I just couldn’t turn down the good looks on the 18s) on delivery lol both in 3-PW set unlike these 5-PW-GW-GW GI sets nowadays

Smh....

I already have proof, data, evidence and written banter to confirm my personal successes; got nothing to prove to you, nor other self righteous know it alls.

Anyways, please get back on topic “Blades, history and future”

Then the argument doesn’t pertain to you. If you’re a good ball striker that consistently pounds the sweetspot you’re not one of the one’s being ridiculous.

For example, I grew up playing blades and persimmons which makes the size of today’s blades monstrous, therefore easy to hit by my standard.

As for the present, OP did a great job of rounding out the modern pros playing forges.

As for the future, I see Srixons, Mizunos coming out with August released. You have the big names like TM and Ping coming out with “hollow” blades...

Although I like to see continued releases, I don’t plan on buying anytime soon as I already own the 900 Tours and have MP18 MB on delivery lol both in 3-PW set unlike these 5-PW-GW-GW

Smh....

I was on the fence between the 900 Tours and the 965's I have now. I was never able to try either, so it was an exercise of closing my eyes and taking the plunge. Somehow, it was almost like the 900 Tours looked more intimidating. So, I went with the Srixons.

I fully expected to have crashed and burned with them by now. But, I find these modern MB's to be much easier to hit than one would think. Actually, I feel like I'm hitting my irons better than ever. But, irons have been my strong suit.

We have a yearly "persimmon open" that requires clubs from the 60's or earlier. I have been on the hunt for some classic blades from that era. So far, I'm sticking to garage sales and thrift stores looking for a gem. Would really love to compare the sets between the two eras.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Folks don't discuss the average distance of their approach shots. That's an important part of what irons folks are playing...as important, maybe more than ball striking ability. If your average approach shot is with a 3 iron...and you play blades....you might be a masochist. But your Sadist playing partners will be satisfied.

The 965 are a great choice as well and very good feeling irons. My concerns win them was the lofts were a degree stronger from the 5 iron down and the 3 iron would have to be custom order which would have taken 6 weeks lol.

I prefer neutral lofts for ideal launch numbers for holding greens and mating a two iron into the set as well.

Another thing, I wasn’t really a fan with the v-soles with my 565s being a sweeper; the Mizuno grinds were agreeable.

Of course, as I say this; ironically I play the RTX3 SW and LW lol

As for the future, I see Srixons, Mizunos coming out with August released. You have the big names like TM and Ping coming out with “hollow” blades...

Although I like to see continued releases, I don’t plan on buying anytime soon as I already own the 900 Tours and have MP18 MB on delivery lol both in 3-PW set unlike these 5-PW-GW-GW

Smh....

I was on the fence between the 900 Tours and the 965's I have now. I was never able to try either, so it was an exercise of closing my eyes and taking the plunge. Somehow, it was almost like the 900 Tours looked more intimidating. So, I went with the Srixons.

I fully expected to have crashed and burned with them by now. But, I find these modern MB's to be much easier to hit than one would think. Actually, I feel like I'm hitting my irons better than ever. But, irons have been my strong suit.

We have a yearly "persimmon open" that requires clubs from the 60's or earlier. I have been on the hunt for some classic blades from that era. So far, I'm sticking to garage sales and thrift stores looking for a gem. Would really love to compare the sets between the two eras.

This thread is about blades, history and future.

For example, I grew up playing blades and persimmons which makes the size of todays blades monstrous, therefore easy to hit by my standard.

As for the future, I see Srixons, Mizunos coming out with August releases. You have the big names like TM and Ping coming out with hollow blades...

Although I like to see continued releases since they are doing new things, I dont plan on buying anytime soon as I already own the 900 Tours and have MP18 MB (I hit both sets well, I just couldnt turn down the good looks on the 18s) on delivery lol both in 3-PW set unlike these 5-PW-GW-GW GI sets nowadays

Smh....

Anyways, please get back on topic Blades, history and future

Then the argument doesnt pertain to you. If youre a good ball striker that consistently pounds the sweetspot youre not one of the ones being ridiculous.

I jumped in the thread and picked up where it was. As for history there was a time that’s all there was. As for the future there will always be a small segment of elite players and tour pros who will want to play MBs. There will be a small segment that want them for whatever reason. Even the top tour pros and good players are going to combo sets, hybrids, hollow long irons, etc as more forgiving clubs. There was a time I would’ve never fathomed Tiger with a 5 wood or cavity back iron.

If your average approach shot is with a 3 iron...and you play blades....

You should be playing par3's w/ G400's.

Is it nerd or nard?

Is it Four Tops or Four To the Green?

I've yet to meet a golfer who said "gosh darn..I need to use a harder-to-hit set of clubs...the G400's just make the game too dang easy".

I've never met a golfer who whines about forgiveness then crows about Bull's Eye putters in blade threads.....till now.

As for the future, I see Srixons, Mizunos coming out with August releases. You have the big names like TM and Ping coming out with “hollow” blades...

Although I like to see continued releases since they are doing new things, I don’t plan on buying anytime soon as I already own the 900 Tours and have MP18 MB (I hit both sets well, I just couldn’t turn down the good looks on the 18s) on delivery lol both in 3-PW set unlike these 5-PW-GW-GW GI sets nowadays

Smh....

Anyways, please get back on topic “Blades, history and future”

I jumped in the thread and picked up where it was. As for history there was a time that’s all there was. As for the future there will always be a small segment of elite players and tour pros who will want to play MBs. There will be a small segment that want them for whatever reason. Even the top tour pros and good players are going to combo sets, hybrids, hollow long irons, etc as more forgiving clubs. There was a time I would’ve never fathomed Tiger with a 5 wood or cavity back iron.

Exactly...it's the older crowd who churns through iron sets because they have the disposable income. i have the disposable income to buy CB sets and blades...so I'm not stuck with one set fits all. Younger players want to play irons that will make the game...if anything...1% easier.

Dam between Biggern and pinestreet, 2 guys that dont play blades, they sure spend alot of time in a blade thread. Makes you wonder why they put so much energy into something they have no skin in. I don't play clubs with hickory shafts, yet some people do. I don't go in their thread to get my post count up and tell them they are wrong.

Dam between Biggern and pinestreet, 2 guys that dont play blades, they sure spend alot of time in a blade thread. Makes you wonder why they put so much energy into something they have no skin in. I don't play clubs with hickory shafts, yet some people do. I don't go in their thread to get my post count up and tell them they are wrong.

That's the real question. And you can put Chisag in that group too. As far as I'm concerned they are to this site what geese are to a golf course.

Must admit I find this quite bemusing as well - for instance I am not a fan of Ping clubs in the slightest, but I'd never dream of spending the afternoon on any of the Ping threads wondering why people are playing them. In fact, I'd be slightly concerned about my sanity if I did.

Back on to the subject of the thread, I think the future of MB's is fairly assured, with all the big OEM's offering us new models, and the ever present boutique manufacturers offering us fine forgings. As soon as a golfer gets near to single figures I think MB's are still a very viable option as long as that player's ball striking is up to snuff. Whilst the OEM's might not always push them - they don't really need to, as there will always be a small, but very loyal group of golfers who will play them.

Also read on another thread that Artisan will be moving into irons in future, effectively carrying on where Nike left off with their range of blades. I doubt Mike Taylor would be going down this road if he didn't see a future in them.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

You noticed that too ? Like a 12 year old girl telling us where babies come from.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

That's the real question. And you can put Chisag in that group too. As far as I'm concerned they are to this site what geese are to a golf course.

Edited.

OK, so the "real question" is why three guys are questioning your decision to play the hardest to hit clubs in the world? That's the real question?!?

I said this a while back, but why do you care what we think if you're right? If we're wrong and you play them solely for performance reasons, who cares what three guys on the internet think? Could it be there's a nerve struck here?

The OP asked about the future of blades. Its bleak compared to 10 years ago. That's the answer. He didn't ask if its cool or smart to play blades, he asked about their future. There isn't one.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Edited.

OK, so the "real question" is why three guys are questioning your decision to play the hardest to hit clubs in the world? That's the real question?!?

I said this a while back, but why do you care what we think if you're right? If we're wrong and you play them solely for performance reasons, who cares what three guys on the internet think? Could it be there's a nerve struck here?

The OP asked about the future of blades. Its bleak compared to 10 years ago. That's the answer. He didn't ask if its cool or smart to play blades, he asked about their future. There isn't one.

You are indeed correct - those OEM's who have all developed new ranges have been a bit silly really, spending all that R'n'D money for no future.

And as to whether a nerve has been struck - you've managed to call anyone who plays blades a "chump" - do you or do you not think that is likely to strike a nerve, and result in people thinking you are a bit of a bell end?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen