Key Indicator For Increased Clubhead Speed -Dr Sasho MacKenzie

WILDTHING

Hi All

Has anyone listened to this podcast before from Dr Sasho MacKenzie ?

https://soundcloud.c...sasho-mackenzie

I have raised this same question with Dr Jeff Mann so awaiting his response but interested to hear other opinions.

It seems Dr Sasho Mackenzie has found some correlation between ground force via lead leg and clubhead speed. I don't think it proves increased ground force causes an increase in clubhead speed but that it is somehow connected (by something called 'Principal Component Analysis').

If I have interpreted this podcast correctly , he says that one should have 'as much ground force under lead leg as possible' at clubshaft vertical in the downswing. That even though the 'pull down' of the club is high at shaft vertical while ground force measurement should be low (ie. Newtons Third Law), one MUST endeavour to create 'as much ground force as possible' under the lead foot. This is to enable one to create momentum up and back to prevent the clubhead momentum pulling one off balance through impact.

I am suspecting this explains what's happening from a 'Kinetics' standpoint but its interesting he mentions 'delaying wrist c0ck angle increase during release' has a less 'Principal Component Analysis' value to clubhead speed than the above.

PS. Strange, but I think the Shawn Clement instruction about how to increase clubhead speed 'intuitively' fits with Dr Sasho MacKenzie's findings. SC calls it the 'Centrifugal Pump' and you can see it in action in his 'feet together drill' and lots of other videos.

Yep, I think I referenced this study before. It suggests correlation, vs. causation, but is really interesting nonetheless.

I am very suspect about his med ball analogy, though. With the med ball the forces generated to slam the med ball can exceed the person's mass, hence ground force can disappear. The golf swing is neither a 'straight down' motion, nor is it as heavy as a med ball, so it's not surprising at all to me that a golfer can be bringing the club down, yet increasing ground pressure with the lead foot. Not in the least surprising.

The actual findings are very interesting, though. Not a conclusion, but an interesting finding.

Hi All

Has anyone listened to this podcast before from Dr Sasho MacKenzie ?

https://soundcloud.c...sasho-mackenzie

I have raised this same question with Dr Jeff Mann so awaiting his response but interested to hear other opinions.

It seems Dr Sasho Mackenzie has found some correlation between ground force via lead leg and clubhead speed. I don't think it proves increased ground force causes an increase in clubhead speed but that it is somehow connected (by something called 'Principal Component Analysis').

If I have interpreted this podcast correctly , he says that one should have 'as much ground force under lead leg as possible' at clubshaft vertical in the downswing. That even though the 'pull down' of the club is high at shaft vertical while ground force measurement should be low (ie. Newtons Third Law), one MUST endeavour to create 'as much ground force as possible' under the lead foot. This is to enable one to create momentum up and back to prevent the clubhead momentum pulling one off balance through impact.

I am suspecting this explains what's happening from a 'Kinetics' standpoint but its interesting he mentions 'delaying wrist c0ck angle increase during release' has a less 'Principal Component Analysis' value to clubhead speed than the above.

PS. Strange, but I think the Shawn Clement instruction about how to increase clubhead speed 'intuitively' fits with Dr Sasho MacKenzie's findings. SC calls it the 'Centrifugal Pump' and you can see it in action in his 'feet together drill' and lots of other videos.

Principal component analysis is a statistical approach, and very popular in the world of machine learning right now. If you really want to get into the weeds of the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yep, I think I referenced this study before. It suggests correlation, vs. causation, but is really interesting nonetheless.

I am very suspect about his med ball analogy, though. With the med ball the forces generated to slam the med ball can exceed the person's mass, hence ground force can disappear. The golf swing is neither a 'straight down' motion, nor is it as heavy as a med ball, so it's not surprising at all to me that a golfer can be bringing the club down, yet increasing ground pressure with the lead foot. Not in the least surprising.

The actual findings are very interesting, though. Not a conclusion, but an interesting finding.

Good point but don't we also have to take the weight of the arms into consideration (they weigh about 8 lbs each)?

Good point but don't we also have to take the weight of the arms into consideration (they weigh about 8 lbs each)?

Yes and there is a counter weighting system called biomatching (Designer Golf in Daventry) which takes body mass and build into account and claims it improves dispersion a ton. I'm having it done on the clubs they are building for me.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

we had the world long drive guy at our course, swinging 157 at times, flying it 390

highest ground forces ever measured FWIW

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

we had the world long drive guy at our course, swinging 157 at times, flying it 390

I’m all for information and research, but I’m also concerned what ams and instructors do with this info.

Just like with lag, everyone tried to equate lit being the cause of speed and distance. “Lag the club on purpose and you’ll hit it farther and the more lag you have, the farther you’ll hit it.”

I have a feeling this is the same. Higher club speed guys create more ground forces, not more ground forces causes more club speed.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I'm all for information and research, but I'm also concerned what ams and instructors do with this info.

Just like with lag, everyone tried to equate lit being the cause of speed and distance. "Lag the club on purpose and you'll hit it farther and the more lag you have, the farther you'll hit it."

I have a feeling this is the same. Higher club speed guys create more ground forces, not more ground forces causes more club speed.

Bingo, physics tells us for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I’m all for information and research, but I’m also concerned what ams and instructors do with this info.

Just like with lag, everyone tried to equate lit being the cause of speed and distance. “Lag the club on purpose and you’ll hit it farther and the more lag you have, the farther you’ll hit it.”

100% agree. It's a dangerous game. What I liked about Sasho's interview was that he was clear that it cannot be concluded that high lead foot ground forces actually cause an increase of speed.

There are however assumptions and presumptions made left, right, and center. Usually the scientists/researchers who perform the studies are the first ones to start riffing with assumptions and then falsely tying it to their true findings.

How often have you heard this type of thing:

'What we have been able to conclude in this study is ABC'

'We believe that this is probably occurring due to XYZ'

'If it's in fact true that ABC is occurring due to XYZ then what this could mean is OPQ'

And all of those unproven assumptions and mixing of cause and effect are before a single journalist or instructor has started adding their own assumptions.

Buyer beware, I guess.

I'm all for information and research, but I'm also concerned what ams and instructors do with this info.

Just like with lag, everyone tried to equate lit being the cause of speed and distance. "Lag the club on purpose and you'll hit it farther and the more lag you have, the farther you'll hit it."

Bingo, physics tells us for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

There is something I have never understood.

No one has ever thought there was some magic solution to running a 4.3 forty, jumping 40”, throwing 100 mph fast ball. There are technique improvements and training regimens that can increase your personal analytics, but it’s well accepted some people are fast, can jump high and throw hard...and some can’t.

However, it doesn’t seem to be accepted that some people hit the ball far and some don’t. There is no secret.

People look at me every day and say, “What’s your secret?”

They get quite mad when I say, “I was born with the ability to hit the ball farther than everyone else.”

What’s Ussain Bolt’s secret?. Aroldis Chapman.

Sure they worked hard to maximize, but they were born with a higher ceiling.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

No one has ever thought there was some magic solution to running a 4.3 forty, jumping 40", throwing 100 mph fast ball. There are technique improvements and training regimens that can increase your personal analytics, but it's well accepted some people are fast, can jump high and throw hard...and some can't.

However, it doesn't seem to be accepted that some people hit the ball far and some don't. There is no secret.

People look at me every day and say, "What's your secret?"

They get quite mad when I say, "I was born with the ability to hit the ball farther than everyone else."

What's Ussain Bolt's secret?. Aroldis Chapman.

Monte, you're crushing my dream of being a long-hitter!

In all seriousness, it does seem like golf is sort of an anomaly in sports where people don't want to accept that there are haves and have nots when it comes to the makeup for hitting it long. I don't expect to be able to dunk if someone gives me a tip or secret. Nor do I think I could suddenly throw the football 60 yards if I spent some time learning from Carson Wentz this week.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

No one has ever thought there was some magic solution to running a 4.3 forty, jumping 40", throwing 100 mph fast ball. There are technique improvements and training regimens that can increase your personal analytics, but it's well accepted some people are fast, can jump high and throw hard...and some can't.

However, it doesn't seem to be accepted that some people hit the ball far and some don't. There is no secret.

They get quite mad when I say, "I was born with the ability to hit the ball farther than everyone else."

In all seriousness, it does seem like golf is sort of an anomaly in sports where people don't want to accept that there are haves and have nots when it comes to the makeup for hitting it long. I don't expect to be able to dunk if someone gives me a tip or secret. Nor do I think I could suddenly throw the football 60 yards if I spent some time learning from Carson Wentz this week.

But you can improve you speed (thru speed training) and capacity for speed (thru mobility and strength training)

I other words I’m gonna crush Monte any day now.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

But you can improve you speed (thru speed training) and capacity for speed (thru mobility and strength training)

I other words I’m gonna crush Monte any day now.

Yes, I agree this is all true, I know I've got some capacity for gains, and I fully intend on dedicating myself to that when golf season winds down here in South Dakota. A couple of things have kind of held me back from where I would like to be (I hate making excuses) in the last couple of years:

In Jan 2016 I learned I had avascular necrosis in my hips, which led to a 1st hip surgery in April (was on crutches and zero weight bearing restriction on my right leg for 12 weeks) and led to missing almost the entire golf season (two rounds I think) and subsequently having a total right hip replacement in Dec 2016. Last year was my first year back and adjusting to that and just trying to get some leg strength back after being pretty sedentary a lot of 2016.

Over this past winter I started to get back into the gym, and starting to do some strength training but had to switch to mostly cardio as some on and off low back pain started in Jan 18. It has persisted even until know (I've seen PT and chiro) but slowly seems to be improving now. I bought the super speed training clubs but only used a few times as I didn't want to exacerbate the back pain and thought I would have it resolved prior to golf season.

So long story short, I'm planning to utilize the super speed training as well as doing some strength and mobility work for the ~ 5-6 months off season here.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

It is a strange thing though isn't it? Your average golfer suddenly wants/thinks he can/should hit it way further than he does already, yet nobody really thinks they can Mo Vaughn a 95mph fast ball with a wooden bat into the upper deck of Yankee Stadium if they currently play soft toss softball. Why in this particular sport Ams think they can magically do things at even 90% of what 'World Class' athletes can do, is such a weird phenomenon. Yes, some truly can, but those guys (like your Monte's of the world) were born with "it" already.

It's not to say many of us are at our ceiling (likely not) but suddenly being able to go from a 100mph swing to 120+ is like chasing your own tail... Unlikely you'll never reach it unless you are doing something fundamentally incorrect during that 100mph swing. I played baseball all my life and could easily throw 85... But I was probably 98%+ maxed out. Changing something,"using more ground force" would never have gotten me to 90mph+.

It's certainly a very feasible explanation. 1) Ground force is always a consequence, never a root cause of anything. 2) The higher the swing speed, the more ground forces would be required to keep the body stable during the swing. The next question would be does the additional forces equal or exceed what would be required to get that stabilization so I'd be more inclined to look at how the actual body c.g. is moving at impact (as a very rough estimate of 'stability') and how that changes. Not that that would provide anything conclusive. But that's the nature of science. One question more often than not just leads to other questions.

And as a side note for those of you citing Newton's 3rd law - stop it. ;-) That just tells us that if I apply a large force to a wall with my hand - I'll break my hand. How forces in one part of a system effect movement in another part of the system is Newton's Second Law.

Not really because the weight of the arms applies in both examples, however in the golf example it's not a direct downwards motion so it actually applies less.

There's a simple physics aspect as to why the med ball example is wrong. You can zero out on pressure because you can generate enough force in the slam to counteract the pressure you generate. Could you slam the ball with the same force and somehow magically increase pressure into the ground? Not unless you have a rocket pack with reverse thrusters... you can't do both.

In the golf swing you can because you're not generating enough downward force to list your body off the ground. Some golfers do zero out on pressure plates, but that's because of a squat followed by a thrust vs. the amount of downward pull on the club. At least that's my two cents.

I somewhat disagree with the notion that the average am couldn't at least get close to the average pros numbers. I completely disagree with the notion that we have some innate level of performance that we should accept in any way just because, well, everybody has an upper ceiling at some point.

I'm up from 85MPH to 106MPH. Where's my ceiling? I have no clue. All I know is I haven't hit it.

Research has been conducted on why SSG appears to produce the gains that it does. The conclusion is that when those golfers improve their swing speed using SSG that they improve the speed at which they can move COP. This isn't an increase in ground forces, but a change in how the golfer produces them. This isn't a random 'comparing some guy who's fast to some guy who's slow' thing. It's the same golfers. They can get better, but only if they believe they can, vs. accepting what they were born with.

When it comes to increasing ground force I'm assuming we mean in a certain place (e.g. lead foot) at a certain time (e.g. shaft perpendicular to ground, I believe, in Sasho's research). I haven't seen any research on the effect on clubhead speed of an increase, but maybe someone else has? It's still early days in terms of research. One interesting point from the research this thread speaks to is that the lead foot pressure at that point is only equivalent to somewhere between walking and running, so if it is important it's one more aspect of a better golfer's swing that's not out of the reach of the average human being. No 400lb squats here...

The ability to make significant gains doesn't just apply to ams. One of the pros the SSG guys originally worked with came to them after a year of working on a golf-specific training regimen. He wasn't happy with his 'innate' speed and got from 106/107 to 119 from the application of SSG, and that's somebody with better initial swing mechanics than the average bear.

Some basketball players train like crazy to improve their vertical leap. Plyometrics, changes to their jump mechanics, etc. They don't all just wake up some day and realize they have some innate gift to dunk. I trained to try to improve my vertical leap, just to see if I could. I think I gained 4 inches in a few weeks. Again, what's my ceiling? What's yours?

Sprinters can do what they do because they can move their legs really %$#ing fast. We could all learn to run faster, but I accept that my legs currently move a lot slower than a world class sprinter's. What moves slower in my golf swing though compared to the average pro? Hand speed? Nope. Degrees per second of trunk rotation? Nope. Golf is more complex than we're giving it credit for. With all of the advanced research and measurement tools, there's still work to do to understand why exactly one guy can swing a lot faster than another. It's not only not obvious, but moreover, it's not even proven.

Yes, everybody has an ultimate limit with everything, but how do any of us know what that is unless we aim high?

As with everything in life, if you give your body a challenge it will adapt. For goodness sake, give it a reason to adapt.

• Like 2

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about swing mechanics. I have taken lessons from prominent instructors, including a couple in the top 50 golf digest list and Monte. I have a library of golf books and videos. I have read the golfing machine and actually understand it. I still have no clue how to implement what Mackenzie talks about into a workable swing. The research of these golf scientists is incredible, but I cannot even begin to figure out how to do what they talk about. I am 20 yards longer than I was five years ago. I am on a better swing path and get center contact more often. I have no clue how to get even more speed without sacrificing that consistent contact. If I was a tour pro who was in the bottom 10 percent in distance I would worry about trying to figure this stuff out, but otherwise, why?

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about swing mechanics. I have taken lessons from prominent instructors, including a couple in the top 50 golf digest list and Monte. I have a library of golf books and videos. I have read the golfing machine and actually understand it. I still have no clue how to implement what Mackenzie talks about into a workable swing. The research of these golf scientists is incredible, but I cannot even begin to figure out how to do what they talk about. I am 20 yards longer than I was five years ago. I am on a better swing path and get center contact more often. I have no clue how to get even more speed without sacrificing that consistent contact. If I was a tour pro who was in the bottom 10 percent in distance I would worry about trying to figure this stuff out, but otherwise, why?

You're quite correct IMO. This particular bit of research is interesting, but in and of itself it isn't particularly actionable. You could experiment with getting significant pressure on the lead foot very early in the downswing, but there's no evidence presented that this is causative in terms of increasing swing speed.

• Like 1

I look at dvf in almost every lesson and it absolutely has a direct correlation towards clubhead speed. It’s also a very good indicator of a strong pivot. I’ve had a lot of players where that was our main focus, not because we were necessarily looking for speed but because more verticle force down on the left foot early in transition was what they needed to improve their swing. With this came better contact, higher clubhead speed and more distance. In fact, I’ve done this with a couple players on here who have improved their distance significantly as well as contact and control.

• Like 1

I am in the group that has no idea how to implement what this means. I did tape a buddy that bombs it and his left leg is straight and looks like he jumps a bit , I asked him what he does he had no idea he lagged it that much or he jumped a bit. He can hit it.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Do you feel like your swinging a broom handle or a wet mop?

AC

It's certainly a very feasible explanation. 1) Ground force is always a consequence, never a root cause of anything. 2) The higher the swing speed, the more ground forces would be required to keep the body stable during the swing. The next question would be does the additional forces equal or exceed what would be required to get that stabilization so I'd be more inclined to look at how the actual body c.g. is moving at impact (as a very rough estimate of 'stability') and how that changes. Not that that would provide anything conclusive. But that's the nature of science. One question more often than not just leads to other questions.

And as a side note for those of you citing Newton's 3rd law - stop it. ;-) That just tells us that if I apply a large force to a wall with my hand - I'll break my hand. How forces in one part of a system effect movement in another part of the system is Newton's Second Law.

Interesting you said Newton's 2nd Law? Why isn't it Newtons 3rd Law to explain Sasho's 'Medicine ball thrown to the ground example'? That by throwing it down , the medicine ball is throwing one's body up . Doesn't the same apply if you are pulling the arms/club down? The body is pulled up and the ground forces are reduced?

Apparently , Sasho's 'Principal Component Analysis' findings do not apply to golfers whose COP readings favour towards the rear foot during impact . Back to the drawing board!!!

Their cop trace is on the rear foot at impact because their left foot has left the ground making it weightless, not because their pressure has actually worked back. A common misconception by people that haven’t actually researched it