2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I wish irons were the problem today, but when the wind is gusting like that and you have the hooks...it ends badly.

Woodmore was much greener, I hope you guys get some growth and healing in the next couple of weeks.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I woke up early this morning when the wind started really blowing - somewhat thankful I wasnt playing today. Until I got a text a half hour later that the Saturday morning game needed another player. Couldnt pass it up - but should have. Hit the ball well all day - and still lost three balls. Biggest number I've put up in over a year - somewhere in the back nine I realized that not one person out there was having fun. I think the highest gust they got in Alexandria was 48 today.

I'm thankful that we are getting back out tomorrow, dont need to sulk on this for too long.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @"top.h" said:

> all this iron talk is a somber reminder that i signed a document stating that i would not purchase new irons until 2020.

>

> 1/1/2020 cant come soon enough

didn't you just get some forged mizuno butter earlier this year?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played Golden Horseshoe gold yesterday and had a ruling with my friends on 16. I hit the ball onto the green and it proceeded to roll into the bridge. It stayed on the bridge and was about halfway on the bridge. I might say more towards the green than the other side. I dropped the ball on the side of the hole where we parked our carts but one guy said I could have dropped on the green just not closer to the hole. I told him he was wrong. The flag was on the lower left side of the green away from the bridge close to the most left bunker. I dropped on the above side of the bridge and not in the green itself as one guy suggested. Note that the bridge was not yellow. Only the green was staked yellow. Who’s right? Getting on an airplane so won’t be able to check comments or provide additional info for a few hours.

clelgi0y2tml.jpeg

If the green was staked yellow and the bridge had no makings, I'd say you made the right call. Your other options were to play it as it lies or to take an unplayable.

Let's be honest. You should have played it as it lies on the bridge and made an all time up and down. You missed out on a situation that comes around just one in a lifetime.

> @SullGolf said:

> If the green was staked yellow and the bridge had no makings, I'd say you made the right call. Your other options were to play it as it lies or to take an unplayable.

> Let's be honest. You should have played it as it lies on the bridge and made an all time up and down. You missed out on a situation that comes around just one in a lifetime.

>

Okay. That’s what I thought on my drop. I did consider the bridge but the hole was too far right. I will say I did have a chip of a lifetime at the Kingsmill River course. I missed the green way left on the 17 par 3 hole as it was windy as crap. I couldn’t even see the hole since I was so far left. I chipped in for birdie and ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. It was awesome.

Those questions are always confusing.

So, The bigger circle is all the points "no closer to the hole". The smaller circle is expanded around your ball until you actually find relief. For a ball about halfway across that bridge with the pin where it is shown, the drop is clearly across the bridge. Depending on where that ball is on the bridge, and where the pin is on the green, I'm sure there are places you could have dropped greenside.

lkkdbvfo8pob.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @dcmidnight said:

> I woke up early this morning when the wind started really blowing - somewhat thankful I wasnt playing today. Until I got a text a half hour later that the Saturday morning game needed another player. Couldnt pass it up - but should have. Hit the ball well all day - and still lost three balls. Biggest number I've put up in over a year - somewhere in the back nine I realized that not one person out there was having fun. I think the highest gust they got in Alexandria was 48 today.

>

> I'm thankful that we are getting back out tomorrow, dont need to sulk on this for too long.

I had a match with a few really good players. It was really crazy out there. I was +1 through 5 and we were 1 up, 2 bogeys coming in, but I felt pretty good. Ended up shooting +8 on the back.

I ended up 82, but a very good player was 80 and the other guys were 76/77. It was tough conditions. 2 birdies across the whole group.

Then I went out for 9 more and was atrocious for that. Missed 3 footers on consecutive holes that both mattered. It was a mental challenge and I was very happy to get home and shower and forget about golf.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It was windy AF most of the weekend. Playing Saturday must've been crazy. Those kind of conditions really expose the weak parts of my game. Everybody misses a bunch of greens when it's blowing like that, and if you struggle to scrape a score together with greenside play (*raises hand*), it's really easy to hop aboard the bogey or worse train.

I showed up to the course on Saturday morning at 7am, all excited to sneak 9 holes in on a busy day for me. I got out of the car, popped the trunk, and immediately knew I f'd up. My clubs were in the closet at home. Not a fun feeling. I had gotten my clubs re-gripped earlier in the week and I brought my bag into the house just to check everything out. I rarely bring them inside, so it never dawned on me when leaving the house Saturday morning "hey dummy, bring your sticks."

Comparable feeling: getting to work and realizing you left your laptop and badge at home.

Yesterday, I was standing on the back of the 14th green at CC Woodmore when the people behind us teed off. For those unfamiliar, it's a fairly long downhill par 3 with water all around the green. One of the guys shots was right of the green about pin high, hit the hill and rolled down across the curb, onto the cart path, and onto the wooden bridge that connects you to the 15th white tee box. No idea what the guy did or where he was supposed to drop though. Shocked that the ball actually stayed on the bridge and didn't roll off.

Played my match on Saturday at UMD for Devin for the Colony Collapse tourney. Went 1up early in the round, and managed to get as far as 3up at one point, but a series of bad holes on the back 9 blew up my lead. Pull hooks off the tee on the par 5 #13 and par 3 #14 dropped my lead to zilch. Managed to birdie the par 5 #16 after a perfect tee shot which caught the hill to go 1up, but then Devin drove the green on #17 and we were back at all square. On 18, Devin steps up to the tee and just absolutely smashes it straight down the middle. So, we have a tailwind, and I just watched him wallop one, so I'm thinking I really need to go after this. Tee it high and try to really smash it. Over rotate like a mofo in my backswing, and snap hook the f out of it straight into the trees. Try to crush a recovery shot, mess it up, and it's basically game over. Devin wins with a three putt bogie after a great tee and approach shot.

Highlights:

-First time playing with Devin and his buddy who also lives in the area. Super cool dudes.

-Devin predominantly teed off with his 3w, which he seems to hit as far a most people hit driver. Hits it super high and it just goes forever.

-First hole, he has a 15-20 foot par putt, downhill right to left breaker. Holes it. I have a 15ish foot uphill left to right breaker to halve the hole. Hole it. Super awesome start to the match.

-Hit a few chip shots that I came very close to holing, which is a nice change of pace after duffing every chip I've had for the last 8 months (using P wedge when applicable makes a major difference).

-That's about it. My tee game was really disappointing, especially after hitting it so well the past month or so. And my sand game, which I've been very happy with for a while not, completely let me down. Didn't hit a single good shot out of a bunker. And I missed a number of 4-8 foot putts which could have given me a comfortable lead. Le sigh.

-I did see Endgame on Sunday though, which was awesome. And the bartender at the Kennedy Center Saturday evening poured me what looked like a triple when I asked for a double, so that was a victory as well.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I played a pretty sweet course yesterday called Olde Stonewall that is about an hour north of Pittsburgh. This was the last weekend of a special they were running where rates were half off their prime rates. Windy and cold conditions made scoring tough. The fairways were pretty wide but if you were off on your approaches you paid for it. The greens had lots of humps and bumps which made it tough to get chips close to the hole. It also made lag putting difficult. My one buddy shot 79 with 37 putts. He hit the ball amazing but could not score. We want another crack at the course when they run the special again this fall.

Some pictures:

Par 4 4th with water guarding the entire right side of the hole.

vegexjknhtrx.jpeg

Par 4 11th.

qxbdenf1tir6.jpeg

Par 4 13th. Cool look with the bunkers stacked on top of one another down the right side.

k120taxrmnyb.jpeg

Par 3 14th. Had to hit a good 7 or 8 iron here.

raf3j13qdfij.jpeg

Par 4 16th. Coolest hole on the course in my opinion. 226 carry to the fairway with a 100 foot drop in elevation. The ball stayed in the air forever.

lhhwc1ubnjya.jpeg

Par 4 18th with the "castle" clubhouse in the background.

8wxhoswsfjyc.jpeg

I've never seen anyone so snowflaked by a golf ball test they don't even know the results of.

According to Fabb, this golf ball test is some combination of

clickbait

not robotic enough (but if it was robotic, it would probably be "not real world" enough)

paid for by ads

paid for by nefarious outsiders

faked

sleazy

biased

Missing anything, fabb?

I'm going to crack up if it's the 2019 Pro V1 and they say "it really cuts through the wind".

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That place looks cool as h*ck, Sneek.

I never realized just how hilly it is around Pittsburgh till I went out looking for some golf around there. Seems like there's SO MUCH good golf around there. . .and I've only popped out onto random golf courses that "looked good" to me.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> That place looks cool as h*ck, Sneek.

>

> I never realized just how hilly it is around Pittsburgh till I went out looking for some golf around there. Seems like there's SO MUCH good golf around there. . .and I've only popped out onto random golf courses that "looked good" to me.

Yeah, it is hilly here. Just about every course you play around Pittsburgh is going to have its fair share of uphill, downhill, and side hill holes.

I would say there is a lot of decent to good public golf in Pittsburgh. Not many that I would put in the great category, but this course yesterday was definitely special. Pittsburgh has some of the best private golf in the country though. Of course there is Oakmont, but Fox Chapel, Pittsburgh Field Club, St. Clair CC, and Allegheny CC are all gems. There are several solid B level clubs in the area too.

I just think MGS is trying to portray themselves like they're some Robin Hood of the golf industry. They're trying to make a buck, just like the OEMs they enjoy casting shade on.

They've essentially tried to publicly shame companies that choose not to send them free stuff for testing. As if any company owes them anything. Then they try to raise some absurd amount of cash to buy clubs that weren't provided for free, by asking the readers to pitch in.

I obviously did a hard troll lean with my initial comment to them. The one thing they refused to respond to me about was whether the same data point they keep touting was actually an across the board finding, or just once case.

> @FAbb said:

> I just think **** is trying to portray themselves like they're some Robin Hood of the golf industry. They're trying to make a buck, just like the OEMs they enjoy casting shade on.

>

> They've essentially tried to publicly shame companies that choose not to send them free stuff for testing. As if any company owes them anything. Then they try to raise some absurd amount of cash to buy clubs that weren't provided for free, by asking the readers to pitch in.

>

> I obviously did a hard troll lean with my initial comment to them. The one thing they refused to respond to me about was whether the same data point they keep touting was actually an across the board finding, or just once case.

You may have taken the troll lean, but their typical voice on IG is to be combative and snarky. I'm surprised they take the time to get into comment wars, but some people like to take the low road.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @therealsneek said:

> Par 4 16th. Coolest hole on the course in my opinion. 226 carry to the fairway with a 100 foot drop in elevation. The ball stayed in the air forever.

I'm a sucker for a good downhill tee shot. Very cool.

You definitely don't get courses like that around here. Although it's not really for lack of areas with terrain like that. Maybe those areas are just a bit far out to really make sense developing a golf course there.

> @FAbb said:

> I just think **** is trying to portray themselves like they're some Robin Hood of the golf industry. They're trying to make a buck, just like the OEMs they enjoy casting shade on.

>

> They've essentially tried to publicly shame companies that choose not to send them free stuff for testing. As if any company owes them anything. Then they try to raise some absurd amount of cash to buy clubs that weren't provided for free, by asking the readers to pitch in.

>

> I obviously did a hard troll lean with my initial comment to them. The one thing they refused to respond to me about was whether the same data point they keep touting was actually an across the board finding, or just once case.

They didn't "refuse to respond" to you.

You wrote : I bet you're taking one extreme result and basing your results on that.

And they wrote : Nope, that's not what we're doing and we're going to provide the data.

And then, you presumably did this on your birdie ball :

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/BEtIfpBep4pBS/giphy.gif "")

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> That place looks cool as h*ck, Sneek.

>

> I never realized just how hilly it is around Pittsburgh till I went out looking for some golf around there. Seems like there's SO MUCH good golf around there. . .and I've only popped out onto random golf courses that "looked good" to me.

Olde Stonewall is awesome, but it is WAY too expensive for where it's located. I'm a little surprised it's stayed in business being so far north of pittsburgh. It's not really a destination course. But it's a sweet course. Always in good shape.

The Private golf in Western PA is OK hand symbol emoji, but the public golf is frown face emoji. Would rather play the public courses around here than anything in Pittsburgh. They have a good combo of elevation, and the climate is such that the bent greens are REALLY good during the shoulder seasons. The only issue is a lot of those courses, Olde Stonewall especially, are unwalkable.

Diamond Run is where my parents play, and of the 37 clubcorp courses I've played (I counted), I'd put it in the top 5.

> @TheCityGame said:

> Those questions are always confusing.

> So, The bigger circle is all the points "no closer to the hole". The smaller circle is expanded around your ball until you actually find relief. For a ball about halfway across that bridge with the pin where it is shown, the drop is clearly across the bridge. Depending on where that ball is on the bridge, and where the pin is on the green, I'm sure there are places you could have dropped greenside.

>

> lkkdbvfo8pob.jpg

>

City, thanks for your thoughts. Here is a better picture of where the hole was and my ball and where i dropped with the X. The pin was actually different from where the google maps showed the hole.

k83u1nfzcr4a.jpg

> @FAbb said:

> I'm no more enamored with the **** golf ball test now than I was before it was released.

I didn't expect there to be a significant difference between the Z-Star and XV,but looking at that data collected I don't see a good reason to play the Z-Star anymore.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX