MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @Puppetmaster said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > I don't know in what context I want to use this gif, but I'm going to present it anyway.

> >

> >

> > ![](https://i.imgflip.com/37zoj9.gif "")

> >

>

> I came back in here to catch up, and leave with things unable to be unseen....

You think you feel bad? I haven't left the house since I saw it.

Busted my cherry at 2nd swing yesterday.

I've had a few odds and ends sitting around and wanted to get rid of them for the space more than actually get real dough. Anyway, I got about a tree fiddy for it and while they were totalling it up, I rolled about 20 putters. Grabbed a Ping Scottsdale Wolverine that I thought swung really nicely with a good length/weight/line angle. I like the feel off the plastic insert IN STORE.

Trying out so many putters yesterday made me realize/appreciate how important swing weight is in the feel of a putter and you don't seem to hear about it nearly as much as just head weight or toe hang or alignment aid or insert/milling.

The reason I'm looking at putters is because about a month ago, my putter came unglued. It's that old ebay special that I like but I don't really want that to happen again. It's a weird putter. I found something that I thought swung like it.

So that was about tree fiddy and I had about tree fiddy left over so I picked up a few gloves for tree fiddy more so it all came out even and I had about tree fiddy left in store credit.

I swung an M2 and was "surprised" to find my swing speed at a pretty respectable 104. I tried to crank it up on a couple and got it up to 108, so maybe I'll chase some of that as the season winds down.

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> Trying out so many putters yesterday made me realize/appreciate how important swing weight is in the feel of a putter and you don't seem to hear about it nearly as much as just head weight or toe hang or alignment aid or insert/milling.

I dont know why people dont think about this more, especially when changing grips. There was a period where SS grips took over and a lot of people were throwing them on their putters, some of the grips even had those weights in them. Then they would say, eh, this grip sucks, the putter feels terrible now. Well, you took a lightweight grip off there and put a heavy grip *with* a weight dropped in there on it. No wonder.

Coming up on @ 10 full days of not hitting a single ball. Have had three yoga sessions, three spin classes and have done a ton of foam rolling after. Feel so much better than I did a month ago. Helps that I'm not trying to play on days with 100+ heat index too. Right now next weekend is looking like some really cool temps in the AM.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Trying out so many putters yesterday made me realize/appreciate how important swing weight is in the feel of a putter and you don't seem to hear about it nearly as much as just head weight or toe hang or alignment aid or insert/milling.

>

> I dont know why people dont think about this more, especially when changing grips. There was a period where SS grips took over and a lot of people were throwing them on their putters, some of the grips even had those weights in them. Then they would say, eh, this grip sucks, the putter feels terrible now. Well, you took a lightweight grip off there and put a heavy grip *with* a weight dropped in there on it. No wonder.

>

> Coming up on @ 10 full days of not hitting a single ball. Have had three yoga sessions, three spin classes and have done a ton of foam rolling after. Feel so much better than I did a month ago. Helps that I'm not trying to play on days with 100+ heat index too. Right now next weekend is looking like some really cool temps in the AM.

Yep.. can’t stand super strokes for that reason

Grip master makes a leather version .. similar to the 2.0 that is half the weight.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The grip on the putter I got is a pretty large Winn grip and probably above standard, but I still like the swing weight. My current gamer has a pretty lightweight head I think and a pretty heavy Bobby Grace grip so it matches up pretty well with the Wolverine.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

can you guys help with me yoga advice? i kinda feel like i've been doing it all wrong. My guess is that I've been doing stuff that is too hard for me so instead of getting gradual loosening i'm just making myself sore without actually stretching. does that sound reasonable/realistic? I've been doing this recently which is much easier and seems to work better for me:

Definitely possible you are trying to do too much. The first time I tried it on my own, I jumped right in and tried an hour long class. It was LOL bad. If you've never done yoga before my advice would be start with some very short sessions - 10-15 minutes. Dont jump into it and think you are going to do a 45 minute or an hour class. Peleton has a ton of great short sessions on their app that I use. A lot of them are meant to do after a ride, sort of a 5-15 minute cool down stretch but they are also good on their own.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @TheCityGame said:

> Busted my cherry at 2nd swing yesterday.

I am going to hit 2nd swing Monday afternoon/evening, even though I am not looking for anything.

I am heading to hook up with CG2 at Compass Pointe. It's been too long since I have played with him. I've never played CP, so I am going to double dip and play both courses. I'll go solo in the am (8:51), then meet him for lunch and an afternoon round.

• Like 1

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > Trying out so many putters yesterday made me realize/appreciate how important swing weight is in the feel of a putter and you don't seem to hear about it nearly as much as just head weight or toe hang or alignment aid or insert/milling.

> >

> > I dont know why people dont think about this more, especially when changing grips. There was a period where SS grips took over and a lot of people were throwing them on their putters, some of the grips even had those weights in them. Then they would say, eh, this grip sucks, the putter feels terrible now. Well, you took a lightweight grip off there and put a heavy grip *with* a weight dropped in there on it. No wonder.

> >

> > Coming up on @ 10 full days of not hitting a single ball. Have had three yoga sessions, three spin classes and have done a ton of foam rolling after. Feel so much better than I did a month ago. Helps that I'm not trying to play on days with 100+ heat index too. Right now next weekend is looking like some really cool temps in the AM.

>

> Yep.. can’t stand super strokes for that reason

>

> Grip master makes a leather version .. similar to the 2.0 that is half the weight.

>

>

SuperStroke putter grips are actually pretty light. The 2.0 (depending on what model) size is between 50-55 grams.

Ping Blackout (essentially thinnest all rubber grip that exists) is 58 grams.

Obviously adding any sort of counterbalance weight system to the butt end of the grip will dramatically change total club weight and swingweight.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

> @2moreTerps said:

> can you guys help with me yoga advice? i kinda feel like i've been doing it all wrong. My guess is that I've been doing stuff that is too hard for me so instead of getting gradual loosening i'm just making myself sore without actually stretching. does that sound reasonable/realistic? I've been doing this recently which is much easier and seems to work better for me:

>

>

>

This particular routine seems very beginner-ish and might be right for you. I just flipped through the video every 30 seconds or so.

A couple indications that you're pushing too hard are your breathing gets ragged, or your breathing gets out of sync with movements. Another sign is if you're "holding tension in your face". Like if you're trying to hold a pose and you're grimacing, or feel strain in your neck or something, back off.

If you're just too tired, just go to child's pose to rest.

For you, in particular, with lower back issues, you need to very conscious of what you're doing. Most back-bends in yoga are bending the upper back, behind the heart. To keep your lower back from bending in a pose, you need to tilt the pelvis/engage the abdomen kind of in line with lower back.

Here's an example of that. . .

![](https://i.imgflip.com/37zoj9.gif "")

It's sort of a "tailbone tuck" but some instructors don't seem to like that term because that can make you hunch a little too. You should read a little on how to do proper cobra, or camel or wheel or bow. You'll start getting an idea of it. But for starters, don't do back bends with "anterior pelvic tilt". That feels like you're doing a back bend, but you're really crunching your lower back.

![](https://imageresizer.static9.net.au/igxsQWwJeePMecG1CIbs1KTYDy4=/396x0/http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2016%2F11%2F15%2F16%2F09%2Fpostures-161115.jpg "")

Also, tucking too much gives you that posterior pelvic tilt.

Actually, I don't want to say too much. First, do no harm. I'd just really recommend trying to find some classes and talking to the teacher about it, but that's probably not going to happen with your schedule.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @willboyrd said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > > Trying out so many putters yesterday made me realize/appreciate how important swing weight is in the feel of a putter and you don't seem to hear about it nearly as much as just head weight or toe hang or alignment aid or insert/milling.

> > >

> > > I dont know why people dont think about this more, especially when changing grips. There was a period where SS grips took over and a lot of people were throwing them on their putters, some of the grips even had those weights in them. Then they would say, eh, this grip sucks, the putter feels terrible now. Well, you took a lightweight grip off there and put a heavy grip *with* a weight dropped in there on it. No wonder.

> > >

> > > Coming up on @ 10 full days of not hitting a single ball. Have had three yoga sessions, three spin classes and have done a ton of foam rolling after. Feel so much better than I did a month ago. Helps that I'm not trying to play on days with 100+ heat index too. Right now next weekend is looking like some really cool temps in the AM.

> >

> > Yep.. can’t stand super strokes for that reason

> >

> > Grip master makes a leather version .. similar to the 2.0 that is half the weight.

> >

> >

>

> SuperStroke putter grips are actually pretty light. The 2.0 (depending on what model) size is between 50-55 grams.

>

> Ping Blackout (essentially thinnest all rubber grip that exists) is 58 grams.

>

> Obviously adding any sort of counterbalance weight system to the butt end of the grip will dramatically change total club weight and swingweight

Never talked about the counterbalance grips just SS in general. But yes the more weight on the back the lighter the SW will become

However.. if people don’t know to look at weight, etc they buy a grip that will impact it without knowing

sdbuwlq8lyso.jpeg

Did you know the SS Squared 109 grams ... love that grip but makes the head feel super light

protos F4

2.0 and 3.0 aren't excessively heavy at all, especially for the diameter achieved. 55-66g is right in a normal rage for most leather/all rubber compound grips.

1.0 is heavier due to the grip essentially being a larger rubber core and not being made up of the super light foam material.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

> @willboyrd said:

> 2.0 and 3.0 aren't excessively heavy at all, especially for the diameter achieved. 55-66g is right in a normal rage for most leather/all rubber compound grips.

>

> 1.0 is heavier due to the grip essentially being a larger rubber core and not being made up of the super light foam material.

Not worried about about how they are made

.. still heavier.

Some people can tell the difference between 1 SW and others can’t. .. like anything In golf. Player dependent.

Lamkin has a different type of putter grip where it’s the same model as the rubber one but so much lighter

Just something for people to be aware of.

Salty grips came around because people wanted that bigger non taper feel but a lot lighter. Corky but some love them

protos F4

those responses help. thanks. i think my problem is less the duration vs. asking my body to move in ways that are beyond a comfortable stretch. city's rule of thumb about breathing and face tension probably help me draw the line. as an example this is too difficult for me . check out 9:31. i can't do that

Never played Links at Challedon. Anybody have any tips/thoughts?

If you can't do 9:31 then clearly you have tight hips, probably related to back issues.

I bet you can't do "malasana". . .squatting with your heels on the ground.

Go to youTube and put in "hip opener yoga". There's some good ones.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @willboyrd said:

> Never played Links at Challedon. Anybody have any tips/thoughts?

>

A wise old man told me..

Aim for the 150 marker and short ones don’t go in

-Kent Golf

Never played .. grint GPS will come in handy for sure

fairways and greens and good luck

• Like 1

protos F4

> @gregh729 said:

> > @willboyrd said:

> > Never played Links at Challedon. Anybody have any tips/thoughts?

> >

>

> Everything if pretty much right in front of you. Only a couple of blind shot and risk/reward type shots. Fairways are pretty wide and greens are fairly flat. Kind of a user friendly course.

I’ve never played it either so hopefully my partner Rich has played it. But glad to know everything is right in front of you.

• Like 1

I can give a quick guide - no blind shots unless noted

#1 - dogleg left. keep as close to the trap off the tee as possible. Tons of room right if you hit it straight

#2 - straight, nothing special

#3 - par 5. pond on right about 200 off tee. narrow fairway next to pond. i usually lay up shot and make a 3 shot

#4 - dog leg left over the creek. 3wd or driver to corner

#5 - short downhill par 3

#6 - very uphill tee shot. 3wd or driver. Toughest drive on the course. looks narrower that it is. fairway slopes left on top of the hill

#7 - slight uphill par 3

#8 - straight par 4. lots of room

#9 - option, either 200-210 to top of hill and then short wedge to green, or try to hit driver and roll it down the hill to the green and hope to avoid the trap

#10 - par 5, slight dogleg right

#11 - short par 4

#12 - flat mid/long iron par 3

#13 - slight uphill par 4

#14 - long par 3

#15 - need to keep it right of the fairway trap but left of the overhanging tree on the right. room to the right past the tree

#16 - short par 4. Tee shot up the hill. can try to drive it over the hill, but there are many small traps on the hill towards the green

#17 - nice risk/reward par 5. Blind tee shot, aim at houses in the distance. Everything slopes right. Pond in front of the green

#18 - straight par 4.

Have fun everyone

> @willboyrd said:

> Never played Links at Challedon. Anybody have any tips/thoughts?

>

I like the layout a lot, good mix of holes that make you use almost every club in your bag. One hole, however, a severely uphill dogleg left, is kind of stupid. Conditions can also get rough after a hot summer. But a fun course to play requiring a lot of different shots.

Do it in all caps that way you seem extremely confident.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M