2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @ceejay81 said:

> Kind of bull$hit that they stole your work. $50 is nothing compared to their sales revenue of that design.

And lets be clear we know for an absolute fact they read this thread.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @TheCityGame said:

> Funny story :

> I don't know if you guys remember, but a little while back on twitter, NLU posted a funny picture of Big Randy and DJ Pie sitting at a bar and someone on twitter wrote, "someone should photoshop this into Nighthawks by Edward Hopper".

>

> Which I did -- WITH MS PAINT, MIND YOU -- and it came out funny. . .

> 2x2a8uvnevjf.jpg

>

> Anyway, about a week ago Hoop -- who has been in the market for a new t-shirt apparently -- sends me an email, "Have you seen this?"

>

> https://store.nolayingup.com/collections/t-shirts/products/strapped-t-shirt?variant=27731243991115

>

> They're selling the T-shirt with "my" design. And I put "my" in quotes because all I really did was shop them two into a famous painting. Still, I did make it, with the _expertise_ I've developed in MS Paint. Various reactions with people I've shared this with have ranged from "meh" to "this bleep bleeps me the bleep off." Particularly mad are the couple of creatives I know who get very mad at uncredited appropriation of things other people made (again, "made").

>

> I let NLU know, anyway, that I didn't think it was cool, and they tossed me fiddy bucks for the store.

>

> Moral of story : all the MS Paint work I've done over the years finally paid off. I ordered the Nighthawks T-shirt for myself. It's got a built-in story. I bro-deal'ed Hoop a freebie and he got himself this sweet AK shirt. . .

>

> ![](https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0879/5498/products/9f32acff8cb8c64910867abf45e35080_2000x.jpg "")

>

>

We always knew you were a genius and an artist.. just goes to show.

Start putting your city game logo on all your works so they can’t be used again.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

> @FAbb said:

> [@No Laying Up](https://forums.golfwrx.com/profile/No%20Laying%20Up) hasn't popped in here since the site blew up, right?

We've been lucky so far.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> Can’t wait to hear about those numbers

>

> Make sure they email you the trackman report afterwards

>

> Hopefully those range ball don’t mess with a + handicap :)

I'm sure it will be interesting. Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have known they could do that. I'm working on getting that cap back to were it should be with the way I've been playing. My guess is I'll be around +1 when the numbers settle out after a few more months

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > Can’t wait to hear about those numbers

> >

> > Make sure they email you the trackman report afterwards

> >

> > Hopefully those range ball don’t mess with a + handicap :)

>

> I'm sure it will be interesting. Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have known they could do that. I'm working on getting that cap back to were it should be with the way I've been playing. My guess is I'll be around +1 when the numbers settle out after a few more months

Yeah more work on their end but that’s our job. Just let them know ahead of time that you would like to be emailed the reports so they can organize the shots.

More times than not they might not have time to start from fresh depending on how many appointments. I always do but not sure about others

protos F4

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > I have legitimate concerns with whether or not the range is long enough for you LOL.

> It's not. I can work up to a 3 wood but driver will be a no-go which is kinda disappointing

>

Typically they won’t care for demos but just let me know when you want to see numbers and we can meet up at oak mar

protos F4

Couldnt agree more with Domes. They probably wont cross the wrong people at this charity round the Golfers Journal has a link to on their site.

$995.00

You and three friends will experience an unforgettable day with No Laying Up at their home muni, Jacksonville Beach Golf Club. Soly, Neil, Tron, Big Randy and DJ will be on hand for an epic day of club twirls and wipey fades as they take you behind the curtain of popular video series like Tourist Sauce. They might even pull you into a game of Wolfhammer.

This sale is part of the online initiative for the Broken Tee Jail Break, and 100% of the proceeds will go to Fairways for Freedom, which helps combat-injured veterans assimilate back into society through golf experiences.

*Travel and accommodations not included. No refunds. No Exceptions.

Quantity Available: 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> Couldnt agree more with Domes. They probably wont cross the wrong people at this charity round the Golfers Journal has a link to on their site.

>

> $995.00

>

> You and three friends will experience an unforgettable day with No Laying Up at their home muni, Jacksonville Beach Golf Club. Soly, Neil, Tron, Big Randy and DJ will be on hand for an epic day of club twirls and wipey fades as they take you behind the curtain of popular video series like Tourist Sauce. They might even pull you into a game of Wolfhammer.

>

> This sale is part of the online initiative for the Broken Tee Jail Break, and 100% of the proceeds will go to Fairways for Freedom, which helps combat-injured veterans assimilate back into society through golf experiences.

>

> *Travel and accommodations not included. No refunds. No Exceptions.

>

> Quantity Available: 1

>

The person that buys this almost certainly bought tickets to the Fyre Festival.

• Like 2

> @ceejay81 said:

> Kind of bull$hit that they stole your work. $50 is nothing compared to their sales revenue of that design.

For all I know, it is.

At the very least, they should have asked first, and I would have said, "yeah, no problem. Just toss one my way and credit me at the store."

I wrote them and said, "hook me up and no biggie". Which they did. I mean, I'm not trying to make a career out of MS Paint. This is VERY different -- in my mind -- than someone reproducing one of my wife's jewelry designs. Maybe it shouldn't be. Domes (who makes music) and my wife were really ticked about it.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > Kind of bull$hit that they stole your work. $50 is nothing compared to their sales revenue of that design.

>

> For all I know, it is.

>

> At the very least, they should have asked first, and I would have said, "yeah, no problem. Just toss one my way and credit me at the store."

>

> I wrote them and said, "hook me up and no biggie". Which they did. I mean, I'm not trying to make a career out of MS Paint. This is VERY different -- in my mind -- than someone reproducing one of my wife's jewelry designs. Maybe it shouldn't be. Domes (who makes music) and my wife were really ticked about it.

They took your art without permission. Not a career but something that could bring extra money in for you doing something you enjoy.

Yeah they should of thrown credit your way most definitely

protos F4

How much different would everyone's opinion be if instead of how they actually handled it, they reached out to City beforehand (they knew how to find him) and say "Hey man, we loved this and want to use it on a shirt. Would you mind? We've got a $50 gift card for you and will throw your name up on the product page".

It's still up to the owner to decide whether that's enough, but that would have completely changed my opinion of NLU.

[barstool did something similar to someone recently and it was a whole thing.](https://deadspin.com/comedian-says-barstool-sports-stole-her-video-tried-to-1833048577 "Barstool did something similar to someone recently and it was a whole thing.") NLU basically seems like a golf-specific barstool.

There's a lot of "how is it different"?

This image :

1) It's based on edward hopper

2) It's based on a photo someone else took

3) it's based on someone else's ACTUAL IDEA on twitter. Someone else said, "someone photoshop them into nighthawks".

Like if it was purely original, that's a whole other thing to me.

Domes -- if you took 30 seconds from Song A and 30 seconds from song B, and mashed them together into 60 seconds of song C, that's different to me than if you just sat down and wrote totally original music. Even if it took skill and equipment and editing to mash them together. Am I way off base there?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> There's a lot of "how is it different"?

>

> This image :

> 1) It's based on edward hopper

> 2) It's based on a photo someone else took

> 3) it's based on someone else's ACTUAL IDEA on twitter. Someone else said, "someone photoshop them into nighthawks".

>

> Like if it was purely original, that's a whole other thing to me.

>

> Domes -- if you took 30 seconds from Song A and 30 seconds from song B, and mashed them together into 60 seconds of song C, that's different to me than if you just sat down and wrote totally original music. Even if it took skill and equipment and editing to mash them together. Am I way off base there?

You are not way off base. I agree with you that they are different.

But regardless of whether I do your lazy-ass mashup (2 songs in 60 seconds? Please) or create something from scratch, If I make it to share with people online for free (which I've done dozens of times), and then someone presents it as their own and puts it on a CD to sell, that's where it becomes an issue.

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > Kind of bull$hit that they stole your work. $50 is nothing compared to their sales revenue of that design.

>

> For all I know, it is.

>

I think we can safely assume they'll sell two of these shirts to reach $50 in revenue. I'd also assume they'll profit way more than $50 overall.

> @TheCityGame said:

> There's a lot of "how is it different"?

>

> This image :

> 1) It's based on edward hopper

> 2) It's based on a photo someone else took

> 3) it's based on someone else's ACTUAL IDEA on twitter. Someone else said, "someone photoshop them into nighthawks".

>

> Like if it was purely original, that's a whole other thing to me.

>

> Domes -- if you took 30 seconds from Song A and 30 seconds from song B, and mashed them together into 60 seconds of song C, that's different to me than if you just sat down and wrote totally original music. Even if it took skill and equipment and editing to mash them together. Am I way off base there?

Probably copyright infringement when it comes to music. Not so sure when it comes to photoshopping and using MS Paint on photos or paintings. I don't think your example is apples to apples, but I can't articulate why.

Bottom line is that it was a scumbag move on their part not to at least ask or give you a heads up. They took without asking. That's stealing. No matter how petty it might seem, there are reasons why there are laws that protect similar circumstances. It's highly unlikely, but what if they made millions of dollars off this "idea?" Do you think you should be compensated for the artwork that they stole?

What NLU did is totally scummy, especially as a brand that has been built on creation of original content.

That said, DO NOT put them in the same camp as the pigs and misogynists at Barstool.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > Kind of bull$hit that they stole your work. $50 is nothing compared to their sales revenue of that design.

> >

> > For all I know, it is.

> >

>

>

> I think we can safely assume they'll sell two of these shirts to reach $50 in revenue. I'd also assume they'll profit way more than $50 overall.

>

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > There's a lot of "how is it different"?

> >

> > This image :

> > 1) It's based on edward hopper

> > 2) It's based on a photo someone else took

> > 3) it's based on someone else's ACTUAL IDEA on twitter. Someone else said, "someone photoshop them into nighthawks".

> >

> > Like if it was purely original, that's a whole other thing to me.

> >

> > Domes -- if you took 30 seconds from Song A and 30 seconds from song B, and mashed them together into 60 seconds of song C, that's different to me than if you just sat down and wrote totally original music. Even if it took skill and equipment and editing to mash them together. Am I way off base there?

>

>

> Probably copyright infringement when it comes to music. Not so sure when it comes to photoshopping and using MS Paint on photos or paintings. I don't think your example is apples to apples, but I can't articulate why.

>

> Bottom line is that it was a scumbag move on their part not to at least ask or give you a heads up. They took without asking. That's stealing. No matter how petty it might seem, there are reasons why there are laws that protect similar circumstances. It's highly unlikely, but what if they made millions of dollars off this "idea?" Do you think you should be compensated for the artwork that they stole?

Yes. I suppose it shouldn't matter if I don't make a living at it, or if I think they're only going to make 50 bucks off it. They didn't make it. I did.

At some point along the way, someone knew it was wrong.

I won't sign away my rights until I talk to my lawyer.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I actually think taking music that exists and changing it so that it's not unrecognizable, but still something "new" is a very good comparable to what city did.

I'm using the word "art" here, because I can't really think of anything better, but it kind of boils down to this for me: If the owner of the "art" doesn't intend for the "art" to be sold and monetized, certainly no one else has the right to do so.

• Like 1

There's this guy, too.

He probably didn't come up with the original idea for "dumpster fire".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > Couldnt agree more with Domes. They probably wont cross the wrong people at this charity round the Golfers Journal has a link to on their site.

> >

> > $995.00

> >

> > You and three friends will experience an unforgettable day with No Laying Up at their home muni, Jacksonville Beach Golf Club. Soly, Neil, Tron, Big Randy and DJ will be on hand for an epic day of club twirls and wipey fades as they take you behind the curtain of popular video series like Tourist Sauce. They might even pull you into a game of Wolfhammer.

> >

> > This sale is part of the online initiative for the Broken Tee Jail Break, and 100% of the proceeds will go to Fairways for Freedom, which helps combat-injured veterans assimilate back into society through golf experiences.

> >

> > *Travel and accommodations not included. No refunds. No Exceptions.

> >

> > Quantity Available: 1

> >

>

> The person that buys this almost certainly bought tickets to the Fyre Festival.

Leave The Buck Club out of this discussion.

• Like 1

A little bit of a delayed recap from the "tournament" Sunday. As Chief said in his recap, really debated on playing the HIVE event but my money was already tied up from a previous event and it was much closer to home.

A HUGE thank you to @thechief16 for playing in the event with me. Not only did I have a great time getting in a real round with him, but he also saved me from having one of our playing partners as my actual partner which would've made for a very long day.

The course was in great shape, and aside from the 3 different lightning delays within 45 minutes (each time we arrived at our balls we had to turn around and drive back to the clubhouse) everything went fairly smoothly on that front. It was cart path only which slowed things down a little but didn't have a massive impact on the round in my opinion.

We both went into the event having not played the course which likely cost a few shots overall. Chief golfed his ball and we brother-in-lawed pretty well aside from the 13th where an ********* picked up my ball in the fairway which then caused me to play the wrong ball (same ball and number in similar locations to one another, thought I just forgot to mark one side of the ball which happened to be the side I was looking at) and Chief 3 whacked on a slick down-hill putt.

I hit the ball pretty well off the tee but seemed to be just out of the fairway on several of them. Chief out-drove me by 40 yds on the 9th hole on a shot that I hit solid and in the fairway. I returned the favor on the 15th hole (par 5) with a drive of around 320 that missed the longest drive prize by 10 yds (it was possibly legit) (ended up making par anyway after air-mailing the green.

In Chief's words, "We missed a lot of putts by a little bit" which pretty much summed up our round.

Won the event by 4 shots and got a few boxes of balls out of the deal (2 for Chief and 1 for me) along with a couple of gift cards each and I picked up a skin on my lone birdie of the round (very disappointed in the wedge game). The course provided food afterward which turned out to be some great wings and potato skins...and vegetables of some kind (I didn't go near them). If either of us had the inclination it also earned us an invite to play Pinehurst in the "Tour Championship" on Labor Day weekend for a pretty good price (around the same price as the HIVE trip)

To add on to Domes example - if Domes came in here and said hey guys, I have this great idea to mash up Song A and Song B and everyone said hey thats a really cool idea. Well then a guy that we know for a fact reads this thread went ahead and released that mashup?

Sure, I guess you could say well, Domes never released it, never did anything about it. But if he posts about it here and someone - again, that we KNOW reads the thread - then releases the same exact thing? Thats bush league garbage right there.

And no I have no problem putting them in the same group of folks as Barstool.

(FWIW I love DJP and all the work that he's done with the Golfers Journal and their podcasts)

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*