2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @TheCityGame said:

> I'm very happy with how I'm golfing my ball lately.

> 1) I got that new Ping putter and I haven't noticed a drop off in performance.

> 2) I've been fighting a little pull draw, especially with short irons. this is NOT a new phenomenon with my swing.

> 3) I've been working on hitting the ball harder off the tee. I'm looking into working on some kind of speed training over the winter.

> 4) I'm thinking about getting a driver.

>

> Re: 2. I watched a little Mark Crossfield video about pull draws with short irons and one thing he was talking about was that if you lower the handle of an iron, it effectively closes the face (the effect is more pronounced with higher lofted clubs). I think that's my issue through the bag. I'm trying to work on it by swinging with a little steeper lie-angle. Might end up making sense to get my lie angles checked. PQ has suggested this to me before. I prefer to "swing through" my problems, but I might be open minded.

My Club Champion fitter said the same thing to me and I went from 2 degrees flat to 1 up. I don't really have the nuked left miss anymore and the tendency for misses is to drift right. During the fitting he even gave me a club to hit that was 4 degrees up and I wasn't hooking it.

Seemed counterintuitive, but it worked. Anyway, you play a ton so you should at a minimum make sure your lofts haven't drifted.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > Pine Needles bar has a top 5 golf-bar burger too. Toasted brioche bun and then they drop a PN-logo brand on there.

> >

> > Can confirm. The burgers in the PN bar are banging.

> >

> >

>

> Confirming the confirmation. The burgers are great and that bar is top notch. The Ross painting in the fancy pants dining room is money.

Triple confirm. Had one back in July.

For visual effect:

4hzjynpnz37d.jpeg

I've posted 28 rounds since the start of the handicap season. That's flipping fantastic. I posted 22- 24-26 rounds during the 2018-2017-2016 handicap seasons. I've got close to 3 months of handicap season left, to add to that total. Very excited.

Committing to playing some tournaments has been a huge contributing factor. It's kept me motivated be on the course more consistently, and to work my game a bit.

Being healthy has been huge, and I attribute that 100% to the work I did in the offseason. I've gotten off track with that, out an abundance of caution when my hernia started bothering me. That's passed thankfully, so I need to get back on the wagon.

• Like 1

> @FAbb said:

> My ball golf was deteriorating there for a bit, before bottoming out at TV last week. An emergency lesson, and a little practice seem to be turning that right around, thankfully.

>

> > @baddomes said:

> > I am golfing my ball OK these days, thank you for asking.

>

> Things coming along like they seemed to be at Blue Mash? Mid single cap Domes was definitely peeking out that day. Did you ever end up getting a lesson?

I did not get a lesson. Time has been the biggest issue, and it's not getting any better the next month. I've only got 2 rounds and no range time with the new driver shaft, but I was hitting some really nice ones at the Fourball. The swing is much better than it was during the dark times of May/June 2019

tnip2r3rs85y.png

• Like 1

you guys can find Brooks' buns on twitter.

Can you say buns here? Probably not.

i tried to write ess ee ex earlier. The word is blocked. LOL, GolfWrx definitely ordered the supreme pizza of smut filters. to fix what problem exactly?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What's a good 50-50 bet on FedEx cup?

You get JT and Cantlay and Brooks?

just JT and Cantlay?

Just JT and Brooks?

Just JT?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I wish they'd quit dicking around with the points system, so we wouldn't have to talk about every single year. The staggered start for the Tour Championship actually seems like a novel idea, but the quadrupling of points for the first 2 playoff events is absurd. There's no universe in which JT should be walking into this event at the top of the leaderboard.

• Like 1

> @FAbb said:

> I wish they'd quit dicking around with the points system, so we wouldn't have to talk about every single year. The staggered start for the Tour Championship actually seems like a novel idea, but the quadrupling of points for the first 2 playoff events is absurd. There's no universe in which JT should be walking into this event at the top of the leaderboard.

The points system is absurd. I dont know the perfect solution either though. I could tell you all the bad things about Tiger this year - but the Masters winner isnt in the finals and Lucas Glover is. Glover had 7 top 10s this year - thats it. Made 20 cutes, had no top 5s, no wins, nothing. Rory won twice and starts only one "shot" ahead of Abraham Ancer who did nothing this year.

Honestly - and clearly I'm the only one - but I didn't mind the old system. It never once bothered me that that there were two "winners" or that it was "confusing" for people to follow.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @FAbb said:

> I wish they'd quit dicking around with the points system, so we wouldn't have to talk about every single year. The staggered start for the Tour Championship actually seems like a novel idea, but the quadrupling of points for the first 2 playoff events is absurd. There's no universe in which JT should be walking into this event at the top of the leaderboard.

Was talking with a buddy about this the other day. Regular PGA tour titles are worth 500 points for a win, Majors are worth 600 points. These 2 FedEx tournaments so far have been worth 2,000 points for the win (Reed and JT). It's Tiger’s own fault for not playing more but both Tiger and Lowry would have made the Tour Championship if Majors carried more weight like, 2,000 points. Kuchar led most of the year in points since he won early on but those wins were worth 500 points, they cut to the top 125 and points are quadrupled. Reed’s one win is like winning 4 other regular tournaments. Plus it allows golfers in the 50-125 range to jump up for getting hot in just one tournament since points are quadrupled. Too much emphasis has been given to these 2 tournaments leading into the Tour Championship. Will need to see how these handicap strokes play out this weekend but I can see them changing the format again. Just don’t think it is going to go over well.

I'm in a pool with 5 others where we draft 5 golfers for the week. We pay the winner of the tournament and best team score. We decided already that the "winner" of the tournament will be determined without the handicap strokes, just for pool purposes. So it could very well be different than who is the actual winner of the tournament.

> @aiyyer said:

> City, would you have time to do a couple of American Gothic versions with hivers?

> Similar to your Hopper masterpiece?

>

>

I need a muse. there's infinity images with hiver heads on famous painting. we've probably already done american gothic at some point.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

These tournaments are the playoffs.

Tiger isn't playing THIS week, but he played each of the last two (sort of). Sometimes a team goes 15-1 in the NFL and doesn't get to play in the Superbowl. Sorry.

Upsets happen every year in the playoffs and if FedEx is putting up 70 million, you better believe they're going to make the playoffs worth more. No one really dominated this season, so the guy who played the best the last two weeks is on top. Rors probably played better than anyone this season. . .the last two weeks he was 6 and 19. He seems properly situated to me.

In short, I like it. it's almost like another major at this point. I'm not going to get to watch much, but I'm pretty intrigued by the golf this weekend and I like it a lot better than what we had last year and it's not because I wasn't able to follow it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

This makes no sense. It’s not about performance through the season. It’s about performance in the playoffs. This isn’t supposed to be “fair”. It’s supposed to be entertainment.

I like the system overall, but it is a bit of a bummer to not have the major winners. I like the idea of automatically qualifying the major winners to the final 30 somehow. Maybe add in the Players to make it an even 25 qualifying spots and 5 auto spots.

I like the switch to the strokes-based handicapping. The TV coverage showed the points leaderboard enough that it was clear who was in any particular spot at the current moment, but I didn't like the difficulty of projecting scenarios. "Well if Justin Rose makes bogey and moves to 3rd and Tiger makes birdie that moves Tiger in to the points lead at 6th place, but only if Rory makes par or worse to stay in 3rd and Molinari makes par to move back to 2nd place." There was too much nuance in trying to figure it out, because of how someone in 9th place in the event affected the points outcome if they moved a place or two in one direction. Straight up strokes makes it easy to do the "what ifs" on the back 9 on Sunday. I don't want to pay attention to what the person in 9th place at the tournament is doing.

> @SullGolf said:

> I like the system overall, but it is a bit of a bummer to not have the major winners. I like the idea of automatically qualifying the major winners to the final 30 somehow. Maybe add in the Players to make it an even 25 qualifying spots and 5 auto spots.

You would just LOVE seeing one single golfer (or one threesome) out there, wouldn't you?

> @FAbb said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > I'm very happy with how I'm golfing my ball lately.

> > 1) I got that new Ping putter and I haven't noticed a drop off in performance.

> > 2) I've been fighting a little pull draw, especially with short irons. this is NOT a new phenomenon with my swing.

> > 3) I've been working on hitting the ball harder off the tee. I'm looking into working on some kind of speed training over the winter.

> > 4) I'm thinking about getting a driver.

> >

> > Re: 2. I watched a little Mark Crossfield video about pull draws with short irons and one thing he was talking about was that if you lower the handle of an iron, it effectively closes the face (the effect is more pronounced with higher lofted clubs). I think that's my issue through the bag. I'm trying to work on it by swinging with a little steeper lie-angle. Might end up making sense to get my lie angles checked. PQ has suggested this to me before. I prefer to "swing through" my problems, but I might be open minded.

>

> I can't remember if it was TXG, but I watched a video where they talked about fitting lie angle based on a player's start direction tendencies.

>

> The "old school" fitting theory was that you got a player on a lie board, and adjusted the lie angle until they were making ground contact in the center of the sole.

>

> The idea in the video was that you shouldn't be entering the turf until after you contact the ball, so it doesn't matter what part of the club is hitting first. The lie angle at impact does change the face angle, so you basically fit to whatever the player needs. So if you're an in-to-out player, you probably need something that shades the face open (flat), and visa versa for out-to-in.

Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

> @FAbb said:

I would still like a match-play TOUR Championship. Yes, I know the entire season is determined by medal play, but if it's going to not be a legit tournament anyways then let's amp up the drama.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

> @willboyrd said:

> Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

>

> It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

I'm not buying this. A handful of degrees ain't moving the sweet spot up any appreciable amount.

A couple degrees of clubface orientation left or right on the other hand, can definitely affect ballflight.

Stop lying> @SullGolf said:

> What do you mean? The 25? They'd still be playing with the other 5 to make it 30.

> There'd still be incentive for the 5 auto qualifiers to play in the previous events as long as you kept the points working. They don't want to start 10 strokes back.

Stop lying. I refuse to acknowledge my mistake.

> @FAbb said:

> > @willboyrd said:

> > Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

> >

> > It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

>

> I'm not buying this. A handful of degrees ain't moving the sweet spot up any appreciable amount.

>

> A couple degrees of clubface orientation left or right on the other hand, can definitely affect ball flight

Well you would be wrong...

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

> @FAbb said:

> > @willboyrd said:

> > Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

> >

> > It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

>

> I'm not buying this. A handful of degrees ain't moving the sweet spot up any appreciable amount.

>

> A couple degrees of clubface orientation left or right on the other hand, can definitely affect ballflight.

The affect of lie angle on left/right orientation of the face greatly depends on loft as well so it makes sense that City was talking about his short irons. It isn't a degree for degree impact on directional face angle. Short irons and wedges are where loft will have biggest impact (save for putter where it's also super important just because effective target is so small).

I usually am between 2 to 3 degrees flat and definitely see more toe-ish strikes on stock lie angle irons if I don't do anything to counteract. Maybe this is more feel than real but makes sense to me.

Just got to long Island. Just checked scores.

First day could not have gone better for this event.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @willboyrd said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > > @willboyrd said:

> > > Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

> > >

> > > It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

> >

> > I'm not buying this. A handful of degrees ain't moving the sweet spot up any appreciable amount.

> >

> > A couple degrees of clubface orientation left or right on the other hand, can definitely affect ballflight.

>

> The affect of lie angle on left/right orientation of the face greatly depends on loft as well so it makes sense that City was talking about his short irons. It isn't a degree for degree impact on directional face angle. Short irons and wedges are where loft will have biggest impact (save for putter where it's also super important just because effective target is so small).

>

> I usually am between 2 to 3 degrees flat and definitely see more toe-ish strikes on stock lie angle irons if I don't do anything to counteract. Maybe this is more feel than real but makes sense to me.

I would expect this to be the opposite. As the lie moves more upright it should move the strike closer to the heel and vice versa.

> @t4t3r said:

> > @willboyrd said:

> > > @FAbb said:

> > > > @willboyrd said:

> > > > Lie angle fitting isn't primarily about optimizing turf interaction.

> > > >

> > > > It's more about more repeatedly finding the middle of the clubface. If you're 3* toe up at impact then the middle of the face is further away from the ground, thus harder to find the ball.

> > >

> > > I'm not buying this. A handful of degrees ain't moving the sweet spot up any appreciable amount.

> > >

> > > A couple degrees of clubface orientation left or right on the other hand, can definitely affect ballflight.

> >

> > The affect of lie angle on left/right orientation of the face greatly depends on loft as well so it makes sense that City was talking about his short irons. It isn't a degree for degree impact on directional face angle. Short irons and wedges are where loft will have biggest impact (save for putter where it's also super important just because effective target is so small).

> >

> > I usually am between 2 to 3 degrees flat and definitely see more toe-ish strikes on stock lie angle irons if I don't do anything to counteract. Maybe this is more feel than real but makes sense to me.

>

> I would expect this to be the opposite. As the lie moves more upright it should move the strike closer to the heel and vice versa.

Flatter towards the toe

Upright towards the heel

Longer shaft more upright (1/2= + 3 SW)

Shorter shaft more flat ( - 1/2 = 3 SW)

Weaker loft more bounce and less offset

Stronger loft less bounce and more offset

Just wanted to get this all out

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125