2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> Anyone had a chance to digest the new world handicap system? I know we all just got that email from the GRINT.

>

> https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/world-handicap-system/WHS-resources/new-world-handicap-system-designed-to-welcome-more-golfers--.html

Yup. It looks like everybody should see their handicap go down when the transition occurs, even if only slightly.

I don't think they've released full details.

They mention taking historical performance into account when revising handicaps. I'll be interested to see how that's implemented.

I'm skeptical of how well the daily scratch rating is going to work. I think it's got strong potential at private clubs, where everybody has a handicap, and you should see a good number of rounds posted daily. At public tracks, where there are probably appreciably fewer scores posted any given day, you could have the normal variability in golfers scoring being the main driver in the daily scratch rating.

I'm also curious to see what the method is for daily adjustments based on conditions.

I predict this drives exactly 0% increase in the number of golfers that keep a handicap. What a crock of $hit that they're doing this to increase the number of golfers keeping handicaps. Here's an idea for you, USGA. If you want to increase participation in the handicap system, PROVIDE IT AS A FREE SERVICE TO ALL GOLFERS. You can't tell me with all the cash they rake in, that they can't find a way to arrange their budget to make that happen. Eat a dick, Mike Davis.

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> I saw that they count 8 out of 20 instead of 10. I also saw they want to account for bad conditions?

These recommendations came out in 2018, but yes, they're going into effect in 2020. And The Grint is going to charge to keep a cap, so I'm guessing the Hive is going to pass the costs onto YOU. We're discussing whether the markup is going to be 100%, or if that's too low.

The accounting for bad conditions thing is something that already happens in other countries. Basically, they create a "daily scratch rating". In theory, you could send a bunch of scratch golfers out on Saturday and they might average 72. That could depend on pins, weather, conditions, tees, etc. Then, you send them out on Sunday and the same group averages 75. The current course ratings are SUPPOSEDLY ranked for "normal playing conditions" (or something like that), but they don't account for changing conditions. I like this change.

Limit of "net double bogey" could be pretty big. That's the kind of thing that is going to drop a lot of these guys who are 13's and 15's but get there with the help of 2 or 3 triples.

But, the one I'm focussed on is **8 of 20 best scores and "factoring in memory of demonstrated ability for better responsiveness and control".**

If I had to guess, I'd think that the main combined effect of these things is that handicaps will go a little lower, but they'll stay at a low point for longer. You might not see guys go through the yearly cycle of getting really low in July/Augsut/September, then creep up 3-5 strokes from fall and spring golf, then start crushing that handicap as they sink into the summer months.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Pretty sure Fabb is trying to get kicked off golf Wrx.

Anyway, USGA isn't going to give handicaps away for free. It's literally their business. You think they're going to survive on dues paid by people being "usga members"? It would be like Popeye's giving away chicken for free.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/impact/2018-final-financials.pdf

Their business is not built around revenue from handicap services. It's built around revenue from championships they host, selling TV rights and other things.

Let's say you pay $35 to keep a handicap in your state. How much of that do you think the USGA takes? How much does the local golf association get? How much is golfnet or ghin slicing off that $35?

The USGA had something like $12 million in the pot for the US Open this year.

You're telling me they can't find a way to structure things such that they operate a system on their own, at no additional cost to golfers? Especially if they're so interested in growing the game, and increasing participation in the handicap system.

That balance sheet is sort of enlightening.

They bring in 5M a year from GHIN services revenue, but pay out 19M in Ghin services expenses and 2M a year in "handicap and course rating".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If the USGA was actually interested in growing the handicap system - they wouldn't have implemented this asinine, fake, garbage rule about not posting solo rounds. Nothing says golf is a game of honor like "sorry solo golfers, the handicap system isn't really for you." This whole worldwide handicap system is trash too. How many people in the world need a handicap that "travels" or need to play with people from different handicap systems? None.

More dumb, useless crap from the USGA.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

The USGA has roughly $350M invested in mutual funds and other offerings like that. If they really wanted to, they could fund a free handicap system just off part of the interest of those investments. But they wont.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

USGA intentionally under-met demand on chicken sandwiches to create a perceived shortage, and got free advertising off the inevitable social media buzz.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> USGA intentionally under-met demand on chicken sandwiches to create a perceived shortage, and got free advertising off the inevitable social media buzz.

So we agree.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Fun time out at Blue Mash yesterday with City, and 2MT. 2MT has been wanting to get away from the home course, to test his game from the tommee tippees somewhere. We must've exchanged about 200 text messages, and tried calling a half dozen courses before finding one that wasn't aerated.

The fairways were shaggy, and they had some top dressing on greens, but Blue Mash was in good shape given the weather we've had. I hadn't played there in forever, prior to playing it with Domes, aiyyer, and fort earlier this year. I definitely want to play it again this year. It was my first time playing the back tees there, and I enjoyed it immensely. I've always been kind of down on that course, but I really liked it from the back.

We played baseball, with junk dots on the side. They were starting everybody on 10 yesterday, and I came out of the gate bogey-bogey, to City and 2MT both going par-par. I was NOT happy with myself, but I kept focus, and played the rest of the way in nicely to finish one over on the day.

2MT had a very un-2MT-like day yesterday. His driving is definitely coming along. He's picked up some yardage for sure. City and I both gave him really obscure compliments about his driving at dinner after. His short game stunk. That's not like him. Also not something to be worried about, in the least.

City was a little off with the boomer yesterday, but made up for it with some stellar moments. He pulled off the first ever bugler, on the second hole of the day no less. We're teeing off on 11, and as soon as his ball takes flight he gets into a f.a.r.t. (apparently you can't type f.a.r.t. without the periods on NewWRX) stance and tries to squeeze one out. He immediately ceased fire and goes, "I ALMOST CRAPPED MY PANTS!" He quickly composed himself though, and was able to fire one off with the ball still in the air. Ball hits the green, and the man collected a well deserved dot. Then he hit the shot of the day on hole 2, which was our 11th. He hit a crappy slap fade into the furthest back bunker on the right. "G D IT. I HAD SUCH A GOOD ROUND GOING!" He must've been 220-230 out in that bunker, and there's no way he could see the green. He hit that sucker right at the flag, and ended up about 10ft below the hole. He sunk for the most unlikely birdie of the day.

Solid meal of after at the Olney Grille. We all dialed up the half-rack rib special. They were generic, but it was exactly what we needed.

10/10 day.

Blue Mash was good.

Fabb played great. Green after green. Makeable birdie after makeable birdie. I hung with him on our front through sheer will, but all those 4 footers for par caught up with me a little on our back.

The course sent out a single in front of us as we made the turn. This is infuriating.

Hole 2 was a birdie from a fairway bunker into the wind with a bad angle into the green, blind shot, 4-wood. But, I had a good lie!!! It was the best two-successive shots I've hit -- or will hit -- all year.

We finished on 9 and all 3 of us had about 80 yards into the green. We all had about 12 foot putts and went birdie-birdie-birdie. It was a fun way to end the day.

Has anyone ever eaten at the Italian restaurant, Umberto's, that is right near Blue Mash? We didn't fully trust it so we went to Olney Grille. It wasn't so great either.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The food/beer/talent in the Blue Mash bar is usually my favorite part of the day there.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

New old look coming in ~~June~~ ~~July~~ ~~August~~ September.

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JhpiNxV3VZgIzYI/giphy.gif "")

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

When my Dad was in the hospital and later rehab in Olney we ate at Olney Grill a few times. They used to have a really good burger. Next time you are out there try Riccuitis Grill. I haven't been there for a couple of years but it was always pretty good. A new(er) place in Olney is Brew Belly, decent cheesesteaks and lots of beers to choose from including many local and MD breweries.

> @Terphack said:

> When my Dad was in the hospital and later rehab in Olney we ate at Olney Grill a few times. They used to have a really good burger. Next time you are out there try Riccuitis Grill. I haven't been there for a couple of years but it was always pretty good. A new(er) place in Olney is Brew Belly, decent cheesesteaks and lots of beers to choose from including many local and MD breweries.

Olney Grille had CRAP beer selection.

Only IPA was Goose island, which is a joke.

Their "seasonal" was Dogfish Head "Dragons and Yum Yum" which was developed in cahoots with someone from the flaming lips. Anyway, she says it's an "american pale ale" and 2More and I try a sample.

I'm like "That's not an american pale ale. That's a sour." Waitress was like, "well, the literature we get with it says it's an APA".

So, she leaves, and I look it up and DFH website says "APA". When she came back, I told her I looked it up and was gracious about being wrong.

Now, I geek out on beer a little, but I don't know what might make something TECHNICALLY an APA, but I've never had one that tastes flat out sour/tart or that fruity. When I get fruit in an APA (or IPA), it's a hint, used for a little acidity maybe. I went to look up some reviews and a lot of people comment on the tartness and sourness of it, but also a ton of reviews are like, "why is it so tart and sour? Is this a sour or is this a pale ale? Very confusing identify." and "The sweet/tart fruit flavors overpowered any resemblance to a pale ale that might have been there."

Huge strikeout from me.

Also, The Flaming Lips put on the worst concert I've ever seen. They're not on my nice list. I'm glad their beer sucks.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Coincidentally I tried the Budweiser Discovery Reserve (technically a "red lager" for those that like to geek out over beer a little) last night.

Icy cold. 9/10 will be banging repeatedly over the 5 day weekend.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Terphack said:

> > When my Dad was in the hospital and later rehab in Olney we ate at Olney Grill a few times. They used to have a really good burger. Next time you are out there try Riccuitis Grill. I haven't been there for a couple of years but it was always pretty good. A new(er) place in Olney is Brew Belly, decent cheesesteaks and lots of beers to choose from including many local and MD breweries.

>

> Olney Grille had CRAP beer selection.

>

> Only IPA was Goose island, which is a joke.

>

> Their "seasonal" was Dogfish Head "Dragons and Yum Yum" which was developed in cahoots with someone from the flaming lips. Anyway, she says it's an "american pale ale" and 2More and I try a sample.

>

> I'm like "That's not an american pale ale. That's a sour." Waitress was like, "well, the literature we get with it says it's an APA".

>

> So, she leaves, and I look it up and DFH website says "APA". When she came back, I told her I looked it up and was gracious about being wrong.

>

> Now, I geek out on beer a little, but I don't know what might make something TECHNICALLY an APA, but I've never had one that tastes flat out sour/tart or that fruity. When I get fruit in an APA (or IPA), it's a hint, used for a little acidity maybe. I went to look up some reviews and a lot of people comment on the tartness and sourness of it, but also a ton of reviews are like, "why is it so tart and sour? Is this a sour or is this a pale ale? Very confusing identify." and "The sweet/tart fruit flavors overpowered any resemblance to a pale ale that might have been there."

>

> Huge strikeout from me.

>

> Also, The Flaming Lips put on the worst concert I've ever seen. They're not on my nice list. I'm glad their beer sucks.

It seems many breweries are creating concoctions that are attempts at combining styles and or techniques to try and find the next hit. Most I have had are not so good. It almost seems as if the craft beer industry might be trying too hard right now.

Not a huge beer geek but I know what I don't like.

> @ceejay81 said:

> I love a good craft beer, but IPA's are disgusting. Fight me.

>

>

Zero fighting, couldnt agree more.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @ceejay81 said:

> I love a good craft beer, but IPA's are disgusting. Fight me.

>

Well, "disgusting" seems harsh and not very specific, but I wouldn't expect someone who didn't like them to have an in-depth take, either. Same as I feel towards sours/goses -- I don't like them and I can't go into detail because I've probably only tried about 5 of them. Gose's are always someone going, "oh, well you haven't had a good one. Try ."

Anyway, there's about a billion kinds of IPA's at this point, with many different flavors.

IPA's are pretty much all I drink for beer. To me, they're basically the "earthiest" beer, by which I mean they can have floral flavors, herbal flavors, bitterness, handle more acidity. They seem to get more flavor from the hop rather than whatever lagers get it from (yeast/malt/whatever -- again, not a beer maker) and hops have great flavors to me. You're talking to the guy who drinks fernet straight, keep in mind.

There are some IPAs I love with peppers which wouldn't work in any other beer. At this point, the mouthfeel is all over the place, but generally, they've had the right combination of crisp/milky. They take a lot of carbonation. The hazy ones these days have pushed the milky too far for me.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green