2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

My normal playing partners decided to play some mediocre course up in NY instead of the Augusta of DC, so I ended up getting out at Falls Road for the first time in a few years on Saturday.

Got paired with some cool dudes, so the round was a lot of fun, but I couldn't putt to save my life. Three 3-putts on the front. Bleh. No 4-putts though, so I had that going for me. I also seemed to manage to miss fairways by just a yard or three, and end up in the worst lie possible. Like ball 3ft above my feet on an otherwise flat course. That, and the bad putting led to a 44 on the front, which felt way worse than that. Had a couple of nice moments though, like sending my drive over the tree/dogleg on #13 to the center of the fairway from the back tees, or nailing a 25ft birdie putt on #14. Ball striking was on point too, just not always in the right direction. I'm not entirely sure if I'm having alignment issues or what, but there were a number of shots that I thought I struck pure that just took off like 10-15 yards the wrong way. Oh well. Overall, the weather was perfect, the course was in decent shape, and it was a pretty awesome time just being out. Also hit the range on Sunday to work on those aiming/alignment issues, and had a pretty good practice seshy.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

My mental game was on point this weekend - I got to the range on Saturday with no golf shoes and no glove either.

Solid.

I always marvel at people walking Worthington, even with CPO its still not a course that I would consider very walkable. But then again I'm not all that hardcore about having to walk every course no matter what, I'd say I'm a 6 on a scale of 1 to Tex.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Did not feel like there was that much buzz for the Tour Championship this weekend. Watched @ an hour yesterday and even the broadcast was dead at time. Azinger did mention he thought there would be some changes to the points structure and maybe Reed shouldn't win 3x+ points than the Masters winner does.

Either way, they showed a lot more Lucas Glover than I thought they would.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> My mental game was on point this weekend - I got to the range on Saturday with no golf shoes and no glove either.

>

> Solid.

>

> I always marvel at people walking Worthington, even with CPO its still not a course that I would consider very walkable. But then again I'm not all that hardcore about having to walk every course no matter what, I'd say I'm a 6 on a scale of 1 to Tex.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's not terrible (said the guy who didn't walk in perfect weather Saturday). If you are smart about it, there are certainly some spots you can save your yourself some hauling of clubs by leaving your bag by the next fairway 2/3, 8/9 12/13, 17/18. Dom seems to have it down, but being able to consistently hit greens and fairways makes it a lot easier.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Siegel, how was the pace at Falls Road? I haven't played there in-season for 2-3 years now because it was always packed/slow on weekends.

I definitely have to work on alignment. I was significantly off on the range at Bethpage, and it was the same on the course. I think I've gotten a bit comfortable with the targets at the 2-3 ranges I go to. Any time I had to aim at a target that was left of center (compared to the box or center fairway line), I struggled. Which isn't good when your shot is a fade and you have to aim left.

• Like 1

> @thechief16 said:

> Yeah, it's not great, but it's not terrible (said the guy who didn't walk in perfect weather Saturday). If you are smart about it, there are certainly some spots you can save your yourself some hauling of clubs by leaving your bag by the next fairway 2/3, 8/9 12/13, 17/18. Dom seems to have it down, but being able to consistently hit greens and fairways makes it a lot easier.

I've also got at least....30 pounds on Dom and....10 strokes lol. I dont think there are many holes there that dont have a significant up/down - or both - for walkers. 10 and 11 come to mind as the best ones.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Does your bag have full dividers to keep the clubs fully separate? The bags I’m looking have that function, so I hope it will work and the clubs will stop getting stuck

> @siegel159 said:

> > @Mizzy45 said:

> > Thoughts on 14 way hybrid golf bags. Was looking at a the TaylorMade FlexTech Crossover 2019 Stand Bag and the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way 2019 Red Steel Stand Bag. Love red or blue colors. Is there anything else I should look at? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help..

>

> This probably goes along with the bag question I asked a few weeks ago. I have a 14 way bag right now, though it's a cart bag, not hybrid. Overall I think the 14 way system is a bit of a hassle, and hasn't actually eliminated club/grip tangling issues. But I don't know why you want to switch, so ymmv. I'm switching back to a 4 or 5 way carry bag at some point

> @siegel159 said:

> > @Mizzy45 said:

> > Thoughts on 14 way hybrid golf bags. Was looking at a the TaylorMade FlexTech Crossover 2019 Stand Bag and the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way 2019 Red Steel Stand Bag. Love red or blue colors. Is there anything else I should look at? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help..

>

> This probably goes along with the bag question I asked a few weeks ago. I have a 14 way bag right now, though it's a cart bag, not hybrid. Overall I think the 14 way system is a bit of a hassle, and hasn't actually eliminated club/grip tangling issues. But I don't know why you want to switch, so ymmv. I'm switching back to a 4 or 5 way carry bag at some point

> @SullGolf said:

> Siegel, how was the pace at Falls Road? I haven't played there in-season for 2-3 years now because it was always packed/slow on weekends.

>

> I definitely have to work on alignment. I was significantly off on the range at Bethpage, and it was the same on the course. I think I've gotten a bit comfortable with the targets at the 2-3 ranges I go to. Any time I had to aim at a target that was left of center (compared to the box or center fairway line), I struggled. Which isn't good when your shot is a fade and you have to aim left.

Pace was fine. I teed off at 7:20, so it was probably a bit too early for it to be particularly busy. Ended up waiting on a few shots, but never for a significant amount of time. I think it was about a 4 hour round.> @Mizzy45 said:

> Does your bag have full dividers to keep the clubs fully separate? The bags I’m looking have that function, so I hope it will work and the clubs will stop getting stuck

>

> > @siegel159 said:

> > > @Mizzy45 said:

> > > Thoughts on 14 way hybrid golf bags. Was looking at a the TaylorMade FlexTech Crossover 2019 Stand Bag and the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way 2019 Red Steel Stand Bag. Love red or blue colors. Is there anything else I should look at? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help..

> >

> > This probably goes along with the bag question I asked a few weeks ago. I have a 14 way bag right now, though it's a cart bag, not hybrid. Overall I think the 14 way system is a bit of a hassle, and hasn't actually eliminated club/grip tangling issues. But I don't know why you want to switch, so ymmv. I'm switching back to a 4 or 5 way carry bag at some point

I don't think so, but I'm not positive either way.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

> @Mizzy45 said:

> Does your bag have full dividers to keep the clubs fully separate? The bags I’m looking have that function, so I hope it will work and the clubs will stop getting stuck

>

> > @siegel159 said:

> > > @Mizzy45 said:

> > > Thoughts on 14 way hybrid golf bags. Was looking at a the TaylorMade FlexTech Crossover 2019 Stand Bag and the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way 2019 Red Steel Stand Bag. Love red or blue colors. Is there anything else I should look at? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help..

> >

> > This probably goes along with the bag question I asked a few weeks ago. I have a 14 way bag right now, though it's a cart bag, not hybrid. Overall I think the 14 way system is a bit of a hassle, and hasn't actually eliminated club/grip tangling issues. But I don't know why you want to switch, so ymmv. I'm switching back to a 4 or 5 way carry bag at some point

>

> > @siegel159 said:

> > > @Mizzy45 said:

> >

>

>

Could look at the Ogio silencer or Ogio alpha.. not the color scheme you are looking at.

But the silencer has individual slots and locks the clubs in at the bottom

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Definitely not a fan of the 14 way bags, clubs still can get tangled at the bottom and if you pull a few clubs out at once - you are always having to screw around trying to find a place to put them back.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> Definitely not a fan of the 14 way bags, clubs still can get tangled at the bottom and if you pull a few clubs out at once - you are always having to screw around trying to find a place to put them back.

There are 14 slots and a putter well... not hard to find a slot.. ?

protos F4

I have a TEE cart bag with a 14 way top and full length dividers (I think). Clubs don't get tangled as much as 4/5 way tops but they do still get tangled, especially when doing something like DC mentioned.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

What a whirlwind of a weekend. On Thursday night I went to the Beck/Cage the Elephant show at Merriweather. Half way through Cage's set, a huge storm rolled through and we got caught in the middle of it. If you sprayed me with a hose for 10 minutes, I would have been less wet. Fun times.

Friday morning, I left at about 6:30am for NY. Had an awesome time with the crew at Bethpage. Quality hang in the lot. PQ and I held down the fort on Friday while the other guys played some ball golf. I'm very positive that I wouldn't camp out by myself to play the black, but with a group it is the perfect plan. The Gallagher/David Crosby lookalike trying to give away a remote controlled electric push-cart in the lot was so bizarre. PQ and I were sitting in our chairs just chilling out when this guy drove up to us to try to give it away. "These things go for $800 used!" He was almost offended and was flabbergasted when we said no. He ended up putting the cart into a parking spot with a sign that said FREE. He grabbed the battery out of the car and kept talking about how heavy the battery is. He walked over to me to "see how heavy" the battery was and I said "nah, I'm cool." Then he forced PQ to lift the battery just so we would know that it's heavy. That's when I asked him if the cart actually worked and he said "no, there's not much juice making it to the handle." THEN WHY WOULD I HAVE WANTED THIS TRASH? PQ and I could not stop laughing at the sequence of events. One of our lot neighbors actually took the cart about an hour later. Then Gallagher drove back to find out who took the cart just so he could give them the charger to the battery!

It was super cool to have the first two tee times on the black. I think we were about 2 holes behind City/Domes/Hoop/PQ and we were at least 2 holes ahead of the group behind us. Once we got to about 10/11 on the course, we were by ourselves. Nobody was around. In the end, the black defeated me. I only had 14 bunker shots. Keep in mind these were not 14 different bunkers. My sand game needs help asap. It's amazing how that course is in such magnificent condition. There's barely any divots out in the fairways and the greens are smooth as glass. The rough was no joke and was a penalty. You definitely needed to take your medicine a majority of the time and wedge it out of the rough. Even the first cut wasn't easy. Unless I pick up distance, I should play from the yellows next time. I played the red course with Christian and Josh after we played the black. That was a really enjoyable course. I even shaved 17 strokes off my score from the black to red lollllll. We teed off at about 1:05 and we got done by 5:30. Our 4th was a regular weekender up there and he was shocked that it did not take 5.5 hours to finish our round.

I headed home after showering and shopping some at the course. On the way home I found a Popeyes and I was able to get their spicy chicken sandwich. It's a 10/10 and surprisingly has not been over-hyped. I don't believe it's possible to do so.

> @ceejay81 said:

> Unless I pick up distance, I should play from the yellows next time.

I was thinking about this. There are a few par 4s where I have near-zero chance of hitting GIR from the whites. I'm not really sure if that means I should move up or if the course is just tough. I lean toward the latter. Looking at the tee boxes, I'm not sure I'd hit the 15th from the front of the front box either. On most holes, I felt like I was on the right box because the fairway bunkers were a constant threat, where I could just reach them or just carry them on a good shot. If I were up a box that wouldn't be the case as often.

I bet a lot more people would play the yellow tees there if they had another forward box that was more similar to the senior or womens tees at most places. There's an ego thing where people don't want to play the front tees, but they are still 6200 yards with lots of difficulty. That's the white tee length at most places, and shorter but more difficult than the blue tees at many courses. I bet I'd shoot a lower score from the tips at Northwest than the yellows at Bethpage.

> @ceejay81 said:

> I headed home after showering and shopping some at the course. On the way home I found a Popeyes and I was able to get their spicy chicken sandwich. It's a 10/10 and surprisingly has not been over-hyped. I don't believe it's possible to do so.

>

10/10 on popeyes spicy chicken sandwich? or Bethpage? I am confused

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > Definitely not a fan of the 14 way bags, clubs still can get tangled at the bottom and if you pull a few clubs out at once - you are always having to screw around trying to find a place to put them back.

>

> There are 14 slots and a putter well... not hard to find a slot.. ?

also you dont get to driver around middle of golf round looking for your rangefinder because 14way prevents your rangefinder somehow magically fall through to bottom.

@foundmyrangefinder @14wayidiotproof

I still think this Popeyes thing is nonsense where they are "sold out" of bleeping sandwiches. 10/10 this is a guerilla marketing effort by them, creating their own hype by artificially limiting inventory and "running out" of sandwiches. GTFO with that nonsense. Never seen KFC or ChicFila run out of chicken.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> I still think this Popeyes thing is nonsense where they are "sold out" of bleeping sandwiches. 10/10 this is a guerilla marketing effort by them, creating their own hype by artificially limiting inventory and "running out" of sandwiches. GTFO with that nonsense. Never seen KFC or ChicFila run out of chicken.

Ha ha using that hype brother.. like limited releases on golf stuff

protos F4

> @dcmidnight said:

> I still think this Popeyes thing is nonsense where they are "sold out" of bleeping sandwiches. 10/10 this is a guerilla marketing effort by them, creating their own hype by artificially limiting inventory and "running out" of sandwiches. GTFO with that nonsense. Never seen KFC or ChicFila run out of chicken.

I just think they underestimated how popular it would be. Social media ran with this when a dude on SB Nation wrote an article about the popeye's sandwich being better than chick-fil-a's like a week and a half ago. It's pretty crazy to see lines at popeyes out the door these days especially since everyone gets shamed these days for not eating the healthiest thing possible. Outside of Twitter, I don't even think I've seen one Popeyes advertisement about this. It's all been social media driven once that article compared the two sandwiches.

Obviously just my humble opinion, but a business is never going to want to intentionally run out of food and piss off customers. You're losing money instantly. It's not like you're gonna backorder a chicken sandwich and have it delivered to you at a later date like you would with the latest and greatest iPhone or --insert popular item here--. You're going to take your business elsewhere when you can't order what you want. I went to the Chantilly location the other day and they were sold out, so I got lunch elsewhere. Chick Fil A pretty much exclusively sells only chicken sandwiches. Not really apples to apples comparison there. I've definitely been to Popeyes when they've run out of spicy chicken and fries. I'd imagine every fast food restaurant has run out of something here and there.

It'll die down. People are sheep and go where they're told.

> @eagle1997 said:

> dunno if anyone has ever seen "traveling the stars: action bronson watches ancient aliens" but i caught my first taste last night.

> clip:

>

> probably not for everyone.

That's not exactly what it was like in the Bethpage parking lot this year.

But, it's not exactly NOT what it was like.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @dcmidnight said:

It's brilliant marketing, whatever you call it. Anything that knocks CFA down a peg is thumbs up in my book. I've never gotten the hype.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

> @SoloShot84 said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > I headed home after showering and shopping some at the course. On the way home I found a Popeyes and I was able to get their spicy chicken sandwich. It's a 10/10 and surprisingly has not been over-hyped. I don't believe it's possible to do so.

> >

> 10/10 on popeyes spicy chicken sandwich? or Bethpage? I am confused

>

BOTH!

> @thechief16 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > I still think this Popeyes thing is nonsense where they are "sold out" of bleeping sandwiches. 10/10 this is a guerilla marketing effort by them, creating their own hype by artificially limiting inventory and "running out" of sandwiches. GTFO with that nonsense. Never seen KFC or ChicFila run out of chicken.

>

> It's brilliant marketing, whatever you call it. Anything that knocks CFA down a peg is thumbs up in my book. I've never gotten the hype.

the secret about chik-fil-a is that it's miles better for breakfast than lunch or dinner.

> @ceejay81 said:

> Obviously just my humble opinion, but a business is never going to want to intentionally run out of food and **** off customers.

Couldn't disagree more, respectfully of course. IMO you answered your own question by using "social media" three times in the first paragraph of your post. What they are doing is the very definition of guerilla marketing. And yes - selling out in this case feeds the buzz and drives more sales than just selling a sandwich normally would. If the sandwich got one good review that would be one thing. But all you see on social media is pictures of sold out signs. Pictures of lines. Pictures of the sandwich. Oh wait now the news is covering it with b-roll feed of the lines. And the sold out signs.

It feeds itself - people see that they ran out of sandwiches so they think it must be good, therefore they drive all over town to find one.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @2moreTerps said:

> > @thechief16 said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > I still think this Popeyes thing is nonsense where they are "sold out" of bleeping sandwiches. 10/10 this is a guerilla marketing effort by them, creating their own hype by artificially limiting inventory and "running out" of sandwiches. GTFO with that nonsense. Never seen KFC or ChicFila run out of chicken.

> >

> > It's brilliant marketing, whatever you call it. Anything that knocks CFA down a peg is thumbs up in my book. I've never gotten the hype.

>

> the secret about chik-fil-a is that it's miles better for breakfast than lunch or dinner.

This is false - but their breakfasts are still fantastic. Its the #1 seed for my Door Dash breakfast options on weekends.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > Obviously just my humble opinion, but a business is never going to want to intentionally run out of food and **** off customers.

>

> Couldn't disagree more, respectfully of course. IMO you answered your own question by using "social media" three times in the first paragraph of your post. What they are doing is the very definition of guerilla marketing. And yes - selling out in this case feeds the buzz and drives more sales than just selling a sandwich normally would. If the sandwich got one good review that would be one thing. But all you see on social media is pictures of sold out signs. Pictures of lines. Pictures of the sandwich. Oh wait now the news is covering it with b-roll feed of the lines. And the sold out signs.

>

> It feeds itself - people see that they ran out of sandwiches so they think it must be good, therefore they drive all over town to find one.

Agree to disagree, as always.

::Deletes post with valid points that won't change your opinion::

> @dcmidnight said:

As someone who deals with the trucking companies who deliver everything from the Styrofoam cups to the lemons to the chicken to ChicFila and the like, they ABSOLUTELY CAN RUN OUT OF CHICKEN. I've seen it happen first hand and it can get ugly quickly. All it takes is one break down or dumb driver.