eagle1997

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

>

> Flatter towards the toe

>

> Upright towards the heel

>

>

That feels like something that could be a temporary effect. Let's say I'm used to hitting clubs with flat lie angles, then you go and hand me something 2 degrees upright. It might have the immediate effect of making me hit the heel, but I suspect I'd figure that out and get to finding the center again in short order.

Do you not fit lie angle for start direction?

I'm curious about the subject. I haven't been fit for lie angles probably since high school.

Golf Mag is at it again.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/approach-shots/2019/08/23/lay-up-green-par-5-wedge-identity/

Do people really read this stuff, and take it to heart?

Unrelated, but I've been surprised by how much I enjoy having a REALLY light golf bag. City and I won bags from that MD Cup qualifier we played in. He got a cart bag, to replace his current one that had seen better days. I went with the carry bag, which happened to be a Callaway Hyperlite Zero. My Sun Mountain 3.5 Elite isn't exactly a heavyweight, but it feels like a sack of bricks compared to the Hyperlite. The difference in the two is probably 2-2.5 pounds, which doesn't sound like much. In practice, it's night and day. For a wispy lad such as myself, that few pounds makes a big difference. It's light enough that I didn't even feel fatigued when I tried carrying instead of pushing with it at Waverly one round. 10/10 will bang ultralight bags going forward.

> @FAbb said:

> Golf Mag is at it again.

>

> https://www.golf.com/instruction/approach-shots/2019/08/23/lay-up-green-par-5-wedge-identity/

>

> Do people really read this stuff, and take it to heart?

>

> Unrelated, but I've been surprised by how much I enjoy having a REALLY light golf bag. City and I won bags from that MD Cup qualifier we played in. He got a cart bag, to replace his current one that had seen better days. I went with the carry bag, which happened to be a Callaway Hyperlite Zero. My Sun Mountain 3.5 Elite isn't exactly a heavyweight, but it feels like a sack of bricks compared to the Hyperlite. The difference in the two is probably 2-2.5 pounds, which doesn't sound like much. In practice, it's night and day. For a wispy lad such as myself, that few pounds makes a big difference. It's light enough that I didn't even feel fatigued when I tried carrying instead of pushing with it at Waverly one round. 10/10 will bang ultralight bags going forward.

Is the bag weight difference really 2 pounds? Thats acatually an incredible difference. My only issue with super lightweight bags that I have found is that its a fine line, sometimes they make them so light that they sort of lose some of that structure/rigidity that I like to see in a stand bag. The Motocaddy stand bag is a good mix, my only complaint is I wish it had a bigger top, definitly not as nice as the 4.5 LS in that regard. But the cart friendly features make up for it.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

It's easily 2 pounds. The 3.5 Elite is heavy. It's made out of heavy duty luggage material.

I had actually been eyeing a 2.5+ for quite a while, before the Hyperlite dropped in my lap. It does lack a bit in the structure and comfort departments, but I'm fine with those sacrifices given the weight savings. The one thing I do really like about the 2.5+ I've tried in the stores over the Hyperlite is the strap. The strap on the Hyperlite isn't great, and seems to always be tangling and flipping around. Not a big deal if I push, but it was annoying when I carried it.

> @FAbb said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> >

> > Flatter towards the toe

> >

> > Upright towards the heel

> >

> >

>

> That feels like something that could be a temporary effect. Let's say I'm used to hitting clubs with flat lie angles, then you go and hand me something 2 degrees upright. It might have the immediate effect of making me hit the heel, but I suspect I'd figure that out and get to finding the center again in short order.

>

> Do you not fit lie angle for start direction?

>

> I'm curious about the subject. I haven't been fit for lie angles probably since high school.

For me... I watch your swing and see what you do on address and on grass look at the divot

Figure out the head the person wants and go there. “Player irons” are weaker lofted so the are typically flatter already (Mizuno irons are typically flatter than all other companies right out of the gate)

Then I do the sharpie test (which everyone can do at home or on the range) and combination with tape but not needed

Start with STD lie and see impact positions after 3-4 balls and adjust from there. Do the same with 2 flat and 2 up. To show the person the difference in what the lie angle impacted.

Lie angle can make a vast improvement on hit location but you were right how you bring the club in does too. However.. if you are consistently doing something.. match the lie angle to it.

We all have our tendencies In our swing.. so we try to match up so it’s always a neutral head.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

> @FAbb said:

> That makes a lot of sense.

>

> I'll have to try the sharpie thing in the garage sometime. It's legit been over 10 years since I've done any type of fitting for my lie angles. I've just always ordered in the range of 2deg flat, based on what I played forever ago.

You are a better player for sure. Just always recheck sporadically... especially after swing changes.

And do it on your whole set.. not weird to be flatter on some than others

protos F4

Not that anyone cares since I’m never really on this site, but Ogre and I played Blue Mash yesterday. I actually hit 80% fairways which is insane for me. Ogre was about 60% which is great fir him as well. We played 18 in just under 3 hours. Now fir the issues. 1) What’s with the ground crew leaving hoses all around the course, 2) what’s with people taking range balls into the course and leaving them all over the greens. On #3 their were 11 range balls in the green, not cool, 3) trying to charge us $69 after 4pm, I had to get a boss over to tell the kid at the counter to give us the twilight rate. Probably never playing that course again. The last 2 times have just been an awful experience.

• Like 1

Playing hidden creek in reston for the first time today. Anyone have any tips regarding the course? I've been looking into joining and am going to check it out. I really just need a place to play where I won't be playing 6 hour rounds (looking at you reston national).

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

> @jjmurry said:

> Playing hidden creek in reston for the first time today. Anyone have any tips regarding the course? I've been looking into joining and am going to check it out. I really just need a place to play where I won't be playing 6 hour rounds (looking at you reston national).

What area are trying to stay around?

protos F4

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @jjmurry said:

> > Playing hidden creek in reston for the first time today. Anyone have any tips regarding the course? I've been looking into joining and am going to check it out. I really just need a place to play where I won't be playing 6 hour rounds (looking at you reston national).

>

> What area are trying to stay around?

Reston/Herndon/Vienna maybe? Not trying to break the bank either and really don't care about anything other than having a decent enough course and a range

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

> @jjmurry said:

> Playing hidden creek in reston for the first time today. Anyone have any tips regarding the course? I've been looking into joining and am going to check it out. I really just need a place to play where I won't be playing 6 hour rounds (looking at you reston national).

Lots of quirky/different tee shots out there, definitely would help to play with a member the first time. Played a B team match there once and it was a real tough place to play the first time.

Limited range out there though and its a hike from the clubhouse - about 4/5 a mile drive in the cart.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

>

> > @jjmurry said:

> > Playing hidden creek in reston for the first time today. Anyone have any tips regarding the course? I've been looking into joining and am going to check it out. I really just need a place to play where I won't be playing 6 hour rounds (looking at you reston national).

>

> Lots of quirky/different tee shots out there, definitely would help to play with a member the first time. Played a B team match there once and it was a real tough place to play the first time.

>

> Limited range out there though and its a hike from the clubhouse - about 4/5 a mile drive in the cart.

Oh excellent feedback, it looks like I won't have to pull out the driver too much. I've heard the range is far as well, however living 3 minutes away makes it a non issue for me. Who knows!

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Some bethpage reflection:

The gang that went up to camp out went off way before I got out - my buddy and got to the lot about 4:30 and got a noon tee time. Perfect to get home, grab some bagels, an hour or two more sleep and a short range session. We had played red before so nothing crazy. The first group was wrapping up with their round when we arrived. Course was absolutely pure. I had no expectations going in but wanted to better my score from the past few years and thought I could break 90 off the middle. Plodded through the front nine with a 43 after starting strong but finding way too much sand en route to the green throughout the day. by The time I crossed the road I had racked some doubles (10&11) and I think I was 13 over around then. The rough was very sticky. 15 I found myself green side in 3 but couldn’t get home and left myself a long long way in, two putt for another double. Sixteen I piped one short of the tree down the left about 150 but in the left rough, smashed one green side and got up and down for a par, which felt great but the rough shot totally nuked my wrist. Hit a choked 4i fade to 20 feet on 17 and lipped out the birdie. Stood on 18 tee feeling pretty mentally beat, physically beat: cold topped a driver to the first part of the fairway. Hit a 5i to the front edge but chunked a wedge short of the green, refocused and got going again and put it close but missed the 12 footer to save bogey. Came in with a45 but made my goal of breaking 90... always feel like I left something out there but it’s hard to keep the throttle going with the up and down walking and constant long iron shots into what were soft but reasonably paced greens. That course just requires such a high caliber of play to score well. Not sure I felt any sort of desire to ever come back by the time I walked off 18 but I am sure that’ll change by the time next year rolls around.

Hadn’t played red before but it is definitely “diet black.” It’s just so much more forgiving and a ton of fun. Highly recommend.

Bethpage weekend.

Played Green on Friday with Hoop/Domes/City. 1 and 18 had temporary tees because the fairways were still recovering from the grandstands and tents from the PGA. Match was me and Hoop vs Domes and City. I made "4" birdies on the Green (18 was a temporary tee playing 220 up hill, so more like 3.5), which is a record for me. Still didn't put up a fantastic score, since I was out of it on a few holes. Hoop and I actually ham and egged it, as opposed to last weekend at Challedon where we both just killed it. City was pissed at how we both put up mediocre scores yet were in every hole as a team. But Domes and City certainly did the same, because the match was really tight. Hoop shot even par on the front and I birdied a 180 yard uphill par 3, and we only won by 1. I birdied 3 holes on the back and we only halved that 9 on 18 to win the match 1 up. Green was a great opener and great match play course because of how wide it was. You weren't winning many holes with par there.

Great parking lot hang on Friday night.

Played Black on Saturday with CJ/Christian/CJsBuddy. Hoop/Domes/City/PQ were the first group out, with us right behind. Course was in prime shape. Rough was tough, bunkers were deep, greens were fast-ish. Shot a 92 with a few shots left on the table. I basically did poorly on all the good opportunities I had, but well on all the bad opportunities. It probably evened out. On 2 I hit a great drive and made a double from the fairway with 8 iron in my hand. I said out loud that the number of other times I'd have that in my hand from the fairway were near zero. It was pretty close. On 9 and 11 I had 7 iron from the fairway, and made 7 (greenside bunker disaster triple) and 6 (3 putt double after getting a terrible lie on the green). Really frustrating. But I made my fair share of bogey saves on other holes. On 1 I had to wedge back to the fairway, but hit PW on the green and two putted. On 6 I got up and down from the end of the fairway for par. On 16 I got up and down from the greenside sand for bogey after topping my drive. On 17 I got up and down from the deep front bunker for par.

Wind on Black was tough. Blowing straight in our faces on 1, which means all the toughest holes were in to the wind (5, 10, 15). On 5, 10 and 15, you could take a foursome of near scratch golfers and it'd be well less than even odds that just one of them would hit the GIR from the white tees. I could play the course 100 times in that wind and come up 0 for 300 on GIR for those holes.

The view from 3rd green down the 4th hole is by far the best non-ocean golf view I've seen. I could sit up there all day and watch people hit drives.

Drove back after the Black, but the other guys all stuck around and played Red. I kind of regret not staying. In advance I made that schedule based on last year, but forgot we went in September last year. In September, the Black tee times are an hour later and sunset is earlier, so last year we didn't finish our 2nd 18 before it got dark. I didn't realize my mistake until Friday night when we were talking about 7:24 (instead of ~8:30) being the first tee time. Oh well. Not a bad schedule to get up there for a day and a half and get in 36.

> @Mizzy45 said:

> Thoughts on 14 way hybrid golf bags. Was looking at a the TaylorMade FlexTech Crossover 2019 Stand Bag and the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way 2019 Red Steel Stand Bag. Love red or blue colors. Is there anything else I should look at? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help..

This probably goes along with the bag question I asked a few weeks ago. I have a 14 way bag right now, though it's a cart bag, not hybrid. Overall I think the 14 way system is a bit of a hassle, and hasn't actually eliminated club/grip tangling issues. But I don't know why you want to switch, so ymmv. I'm switching back to a 4 or 5 way carry bag at some point

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Bethpage rocked as usual.

Green course Friday was nice. We've played Blue/Red/Black before but hadn't played green. It was nice, not great. It dawns on you that the space and the land there is so epic that you'd almost have to willfully build a bad course to do that. It's short and they didn't have blue tees out. Played fine. I was even after back-to-back birdies on 11 and 12 and then I just couldn't hit a green or get up and down coming in. I liked seeing some views of the Black course from odd places.

Black course Saturday morning. I played a steady, conservative round. . .took my medicine out of the rough and just made steady bogeys and pars. Going into 17, I still hadn't made a double (this is an accomplishment), but on 17, I hit a horrible tee shot, had 40 yards in, crud lie and shanked a chip. Ended up making double. Highlights were making par from the left fairway bunker on 4 (both domes and I made par from that bunker). Par on 16 was solid. I think I hit that fairway for the first time ever. 83 that felt like a good, solid, smart round. You just need to hit fairways there and I didn't.

Red course was last round of the weekend. This was a funny round, golf wise, because I just hit these total smother hooks on 1 and 2 and felt totally dead. But, I starting scraping my swing back together, made a birdie on 6, and ended up putting a pretty decent round together. Felt really good about what I was able to manage when my swing wasn't working and I was randomly losing 0 or 1 club distance into greens.

Lost 3 matches to Hoop over the weekend. Q and I played Domes and Hoop back to back on Saturday and lost both of them two-ways. Lost to Hoop and Sully on Friday two ways. I just felt like all weekend I was playing against net-eagle putts on every other hole. All 3 of these guys are impossible in a fourball at 10/12/15 handis. Hoop shooting an even 9. Sully making "3.5" birdies. Domes out-driving me by 20 yards. The matches might have ended up close, but none of them were really close at all. I was never in danger of winning a side all weekend. Scraping out a few halves doesn't mean the matches were close.

Lot hang was fun. CJ's friends had a funny story about playing with a guy who sounded like a scratch combined with "Pots and Pans". . .an old rambler with no sense of etiquette or skill who was ticking off the pro.

Weird David Crosby look-alike trying to give away a free motorized push cart in the lot.

Really felt like the unofficial end of summer. I woke up Sunday morning and it was very cool and breezy on long Island.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

(OCGolfRick comes back from over week long vacation, logs into GolfWRX. Wonders how Fourball went.)

> On 18 I knew I needed par for 79, hit a good drive that found the left rough, and I then topped my iron shot about 40 yards. I was fuming. Hit an okay 100 yard wedge to about 20 feet. Drained the 20-footer for par. First time breaking 80 since 2015. Four bogeys, a double, a triple, and a birdie.

>

5vg62ubx1s9p.gif

(OCGolfRick reads further. Is able to sum up.)

AHoop: (counting wads of money) "Man Sull, that was awesome! What's been your secret?"

Sull: (Folding cash): "Well, its been amazing Hoop! Ever since I got transferred to a windowless jail cell of an office and had kids, I've had time to work on my mental game! Here's my secret! (Starts swinging a rope around his neck.)

AHoop: "And that really works?"

Sull: (still swinging rope around like a lasso) "Heck ya! My swings never been better!"

OCGolfRick and the rest of the Hacker's Alliance getting ready for WoMan:

8iigclihx0eh.gif

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Played Worthington for this first time on Saturday with Dom, Chief, and GoTime.

The weather was perfect and the company was great. We played the round cart-path only which wasn't ideal and they opened it up right after we finished.

WM is definitely a course that you need to play once to get comfortable with. Dom gave great info all day long which helped out a lot.

Started off striking the ball very well but mis-clubbed several times that led to flying greens and making bogeys. Couldn't tell the greens had been punched but could definitely tell that they'd sanded them, and there's something about it that gets in my head every time. Definitely something I need to work on because it definitely didn't affect the role much at all.

I was +6 through 9 and finished at +6 so the back 9 definitely went a little more like I planned it. Caught 3 flyers on the front which didn't help much.

Dom was consistent all day long aside from a couple of thin ones, and he puts the best roll on the ball that I've ever seen.

@thechief16 started off **ON FIRE** for the first few holes and it kinda slipped away from there. Still put a solid round together but could tell he was a little frustrated with the tee ball.

GoTime was off for most of the day and hit the range directly after the round while @thechief16 and myself headed into the grill for some food. The wrap that I got was fantastic and set me up for the drive over to HIVEmore for the second round of the day.

Got to Woodmore a little early and took my time getting myself together and messing with the short game a little bit. I think I finally found out why my wedges and chipping have been garbage for the past few weeks and it comes down to jerking at the ball instead of letting the club do the work.

There were two different events at the course before we teed off at just after 3pm. Played with GoTime and @HighBoomingDraws. The flavor of the day happened to be lemon cake if I remember correctly and we listened to 2000s rap for the first 4 or 5 holes. Surprisingly, I knew most of the words and it was a throwback to middle school.

I'm not sure that any of us were prepared for what was about to happen.

HBD hit some nice drives throughout the round but caught a few hosels along the way. It was tough to get into a rhythm with so much time in between each shot.

GoTime played a little better on that go round but still didn't quite have the game going.

I played much better at this point and was 1 over thru 9 with a birdie on 2 thanks to a wedge to 4 feet. We played the tips and it took us just shy of 3 hours to play the front 9. At that point I could no longer handle the pace of play and bailed to start my drive back home in time to catch the Florida/Miami game.

Hit the driver extremely well all day long in both rounds so that was a definite positive for the weekend. Figured out the wedge game on the range at Woodmore and just need to dial in the distance control now that the contact is where I want it. It would also help to play a little more often than I have the last 3 weeks or so

Had a blast with all of the guys involved and definitely look forward to playing with each of them again soon

lau7jd4u8rw8.jpg

dbyhaj9opmnq.jpg

• Like 1