2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I dont really watch SNL anymore cover to cover as I think most of it is just drivel/filler but some of the cold opens - and the Weekend Updates - this year have been just genius work.

I hope they do the Weekend Update bit again this year where they write holiday jokes for each other. Last year, I was laughing so hard I had to rewind it a few times. Definitely not thread-appropriate but go back and find it. Is seeing Eddie Murphy say "I'm gumby " really going to make anyone laugh right now?

No.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

The first time I ever met/played with DT was at Oak Creek. We were flying around and got stuck behind a foursome on a par 5. He absolutely rifles his second shot up near them - didn't blink. I dont think I said anything or even chuckled when he said "I carry a badge and a gun...so, whatever" and just walked off.

Sully I take a certification "class" every year in how to use the defibrillator things we have around. So if you went down, I could at least call the clubhouse to send out a cart to take use to a place that has one of those things. You seem pretty hearty though, you could hold out.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Maybe just root around in that drawer in your kitchen where you keep batteries and paper clips, and find something you won't miss.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I did not see Dolemite is my Name, but its has a 97% Rotten Tomatoes ranking and is showing up on a lot of Top 10 Movies of the Year lists.

In light of the Tom Hanks Mr. Rogers reprisal, how great would it be if he did that on sketch?

"When I move in, ya'll move away!"

• Like 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

"how great would it be..."

Not great. I don't want to see him retelling 40 year old jokes. Old SNL has NOT aged well, IMO. All I do is sit there and go, "people really laughed at that?"

I'm actually partially concerned it could be a train wreck. They definitely have plenty of shows that are 95% bombs. The David Harbour show this season was nigh unwatchable (except for Oscar the Grouch). With Eddie, maybe they "try too hard" or they don't try hard enough because it's Eddie, or they just retread old ideas. I'm intrigued, though.DC -- I remember Che and Yost writing jokes for each other. It's always good. Che always writes some white supremacist joke for him. I remember them doing this at the end of the season. I don't remember it specifically for the holiday show, but my recall isn't what it used to be.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

So we're halfway to Golfer827's stated goal of 50 subscribers. Once he hits 50 apparently the money starts to come in. So we were trying to brainstorm ways for his to broaden his audience. CityGame's idea of luring children from schools with candy into the FedEx van and forcing them to watch the Twitch stream was thrown out immediately, even though I thought the idea merited more discussion. My idea of having Holly Sonders on a guest under the guise that Golfer827 was actually a world class plastic surgeon was also not received well. Domes tried to press for more details, but Golfer827 has a plan that seemed to border on being a MLM scheme.

Any ideas on how to boost the viewership, threadizens?

Suck it, Ceejay.

I held off on the black friday/cyber monday deals hoping to land one of the hard to get bourbons that were making their rounds...mainly the Stagg Jr and EH Taylor Single Barrel. I've gone 1 for 2 on those. I should be good now though with the 5 bottles I grabbed yesterday.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Disagree. When Eddie did the Mr. Rogers bit making fun of white flight and did "Wookin Pa Nub." , that FOR THE TIME was pushing the envelope. Like anything else, with age, and you've seen it 20 times, its a lot less funny. SNL has had some REALLY BAD years- late 90's spring to mind (Androgynous Pat, etc.) but the Eddie Murphy years were way better than most.

Suck it, Ceejay.

I know it was funny at the time. I don't think it's aged well and I don't want to see a reprise. Although. . .now that I think about it. . .maybe they do bring him back, and make it topical -- "white flight" isn't much of a thing any more, maybe they do a thing where they gentrify his neighborhood, or whatever (not a comedy skit writer). I just don't want it to be a bunch of "member berries".

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2YWDeOSgU6GaWxuE/giphy.gif

They do some edgy stuff these days. I hope Eddie is into that. He's definitely played it safe for a while now.

Hey, here's an idea City : why don't you watch the ******* show and find out.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Speaking of resting on memories of the past and not going outside the comfort zone, the reviews of new Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker are horrific. No plot to speak of apparently, just a bunch old characters getting together. Audience polling appears to be decent though, proof that people like the familiar. Looks like one I'll wait on till I can watch on TV.

Suck it, Ceejay.

Pat was early-mid 90s. Church Lady. Hans and Franz.

Late 90s was Fallon/Parnell/Sanz/Ferrell/Shannon/Kattan/Darrell Hammond. Those were the good times. Norm MacDonald is my favorite Weekend Update anchor. I was in High School when this cast was on, and watched SNL religiously. I remember being annoyed that they didn't air it because of the Princess Diana wreck.

My favorite skits are ones that have nothing to do with politics or current events. Typically the ones that air after the second musical performance. No one remembers these ones. This was 2001.

• Like 1

Funny I guess I've read the opposite. Critics hated it - fans loved it. So basically just like all movies.

When I read a Rotten Tomatoes summary of 50% critics and 90% audience - I know I'm probably going to like it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

The fact of the matter is. . .if the movie has aliens, and spaceships, and weird planets, and blasters, and robots, and laser swords, and starry backgrounds, and John Williams music, it starts at an A- for me. From there it can only go up.

GENERALLY, I'm not a fan of comfort or familiarity. As soon as something becomes "good" or understood or praised, my instinct is that I want people to start messing with it. JJ Abrams is not that. And, most of the stuff I don't like about him, I've heard this movie has more of that stuff than TFA. Like I said. . .it starts at an A- for me and I'll see it in theaters and enjoy it because it's Star Wars.

My MAIN concern is that critics really did like The Force Awakens, so it's not just like they're JJ Abrams haters. Like, what did he did do in Rise that is so upsetting?

And, reviews aren't HORRIBLE. Cats is at 16% tomatoes. This is at least hovering around 60%.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

oh man. i have a thread update. you know how much we all hate the friendandfamily sourcing of the expenses of children's activities? Well. My son is in cub scouts. And you have to sell wildly overpriced popcorn. his troop is really large. at least 60 kids. he won that sales contest by a MILE. among other things he came into my office with his uniform on and mrs 2more took him around to sell to all my friends. (i gave her a list of who he could, and could not, approach to make sure that no one who would feel inappropriately pressured to buy it). i was pretty proud of him. i only sat in on a couple of his pitches but he did a pretty good job answering the questions:

my boss: WHOA. this seems expensive. does this seem expensive to you??

my son (completely expressionless): yes. it's very expensive.

my boss: well why wouldn't i just go to the grocery store and pay the right price?

my son: well because you're not just buying popcorn. most of the money supports our local boy scout troop. and 8% of it goes to support families of the troops.

more conversation until it's time when he has to fill out the form *my boss: which one do you suggest i get?

my son: this one looks pretty good to me

my boss: is that because it's the most expensive one?

my son: (gets embarrassed) (starts laughing) (starts nodding his head vigorously) um. yeah.

my boss: GOTCHA!!

my son without missing a beat: so are you gonna get some?

Here's a review with no real spoilers. There's another very similar on The Atlantic. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is what happens when a franchise gives upMarginally related: What's it like to be Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher's kids- when you see your now dead, but resurrected digitally parents on the screen? Do you think " Oh that's creepy. I'm glad the check cleared."?

Suck it, Ceejay.

City Game : WHOA. this seems expensive. does this seem expensive to you??

my son (completely expressionless): yes. it's very expensive.

City Game : well why wouldn't i just go to the grocery store and pay the right price?

my son: well because you're not just buying popcorn. most of the money supports our local boy scout troop. and 8% of it goes to support families of the troops.

City Game : tell you what. . .that popcorn is $25 and I'll buy your overpriced popcorn you little swindler, but next year, you call me when it's popcorn time. I'll give you $15. I'll go to the grocery store and buy myself 5 dollars worth of popcorn, and I'll send $5 to the families of the troops. You sit on the couch and play a video game instead of coming by the office. Every one of us comes out ahead except for the do-nothing who has kids peddling his popcorn and is using the troops to justify his obscene markup.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

the troops thing is particularly awful. i didn't even know that until he broke it out. next year we'll hit it up like grandparents and that's about it.

that said. two good things:

it's a real skill as an 8 year old to look a grown up in the eyes and have an actual conversation. that's what made me proud. also you know the way my office is. he took plenty of lumps.

it's also good that he didn't do it halfway. he worked at it. if you're going to do it, do your best. he's learning the same lesson with his pinewood derby car too. he's making every single cut, etc. it'll be his car. but he's not just going to do some random stuff and slap some paint on it. we're also watching youtubes on how to build the fastest car. we're strategizing. we're starting early so that if we make mistakes we can fix it. etc. Again, if you're going to do it, do your best. and he's super excited.

• Like 1

If salespeople couldn’t prey on the feelings of potential customers, they’d all be riding in 2-series BMWs. That kid is going places. M5 series for sure.

I buy my Christmas tree at my local volunteer fire station, and they hella mark it up. It’s a fundraiser for them. Anyway, this year I overheard someone asking about prices. The responses stated with “well, first off, we are more expensive but it’s for a good cause...”. Which is true. I could go to Home Depot and save $50. That’s not the point. Same thing for popcorn or other random fundraisers. The point is to raise funds. Getting popcorn or a Christmas tree is secondary.

In the grand scheme of things, token redacted notwithstanding, not catching a game at Turner Field which was the Olympic Stadium from the '96 Games was my biggest regret from my trip to Atlanta. I went to the Olympic Park and saw the fountain, but didn't set foot in the stadium.

As far as the twitch deal goes, my plan is as follows:

Create Original content on more discover-able platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, IG and create a following there. That starts to create the fanbase outside of just you guys. Which btw, I do appreciate the follows from everyone here and those I've met on twitch. Where I was told to do this is from the Alpha Gaming YouTube page created by Harris Heller. He has had years of social media and content creation experience and has really started to grow as a creator. He's also a pretty chill dude, even if a bit of a nerd, on Twitch.Once I achieve Affiliate status, I can begin to further monetize the platform. That is through subscriptions, bits (Twitch Currency), donations, affiliate links via Amazon. All of that opens up to someone like me. However, I still need to create content and grow a community. This would be the beginnings of really building a potential career of being a content creator and streamer on a full time basis. Once I can tangibly see the potential to go full time and actually create content, find and hire an editor for the YouTube page. Find help to keep building my brand and keep growing as much as possible.

It's a slow process, and I'm fine to take my time and grow slowly. I've made videos from my streams and have posted them to YT to start. However, I do have other videos in mind when things calm down after the holidays and as the weather gets warmer. That includes potentially doing videos with some of you guys, if you're all good with it. Until then, it's more of the same and let things build.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith