MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

This is a lot of things : Bryson on Twitch saying he's hitting driver so far that it's going to put pressure on his wedge game and his wedge game sucks, but he has secret wedges coming in on Thursday.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Love this. Will watch.

I dont know how much Bryson could be a free agent though, every company he goes to would have to commit to making / doing the R&D on all of the one length clubs.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Right? I can't see anyone taking him on unless they want to commit to making and heavily marketing one-length irons. He would need to be the centerpiece of their marketing campaigns. I don't see any other big companies doing that, though he could find a "2nd tier" (in terms of popularity) company willing to do that to make a marketing splash.

When he came on the scene, Cobra had huge marketing around him and one-length irons. It seems like that's died out a bit over the last year. Quick check of their website shows that they are still heavily building and marketing one-length, so it could just be lack of awareness on my part.

Every time I see Cobra revenue #s I'm always stunned that the one length is still a majority % of their revenue. Like you said, dont see much marketing for them at all any more.

Bryson strikes me as the kind of guy who eventually will make all his own clubs. It sounds ridiculous for every single other player but he's one guy I could see doing it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

We've got some weather moving in. Fast. We've gotten two emails in the last 30 minutes that were basically saying, "GTFO".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Everyone should give this club a hit at some point. Its incredible. I could not hit it to save my life. @TheCityGame - did you listen to the @NoLayingUp pod from Monday? They are talking about the new handicap system and I'm pretty certain they have it wrong with how handicaps were calculated between players on different tees in the old system.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Govt is officially closed at 1pm, its a mad rush to get to the door.

I know I got sucked into it at some point in the fall but am I the only one that is a little sick of the handicap stuff? I'm going to get a new index, you're going to get a new index, we're all going to get a new index. And we'll still go peg it up with our new indexes and somehow it will all be OK. I think my new index is now a 6.2, it was a 6.1 or a 6.4. Lets go.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I never get sick of talking about handicap stuff, but I TOTALLY get the people that are just like, "tell me what my number is".

I mean, I posted a 1000 word rebuttal to a person who will never read it in the rules forum.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Oh no I guess the difference is, I had things I was interested in talking about while it was still a concept.

But once it was said here is what is coming down and it starts now - eh, I gave up.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

so in the practice manual he says that if you learn one thing it should be to make your practice quantifiable. I believe him. Even if that means for me in VERY simple ways. Saturday i was hitting balls. I played a game where i would try to hit three consecutive shots into a target.

i tried to hit three straight PW onto a green. lots and lots of fail. goodness.

I tried to hit three consecutive drivers into an imaginary fairway. i aimed up the left and tried to hit a tiny draw because i know my tiny draw ... is a ball that still often moves right. cut into the fairway. cut into the fairway. on the third one i aimed right and tried to hit a harder draw. MISS. so i tried it again. i aimed up the left and tried to hit a tiny draw. cut into the fairway. cut into the fairway. now I REALLY wanted to aim right and hit a harder draw into the fairway. i didn't. same aiming spot. Same shot shape goal. Dead straight one with a slight push. fairway.

i tried to hit three straight 8 irons onto a green. on. on. on. that was easy!

i tried to hit three straight PW onto a green but this time a draw, a fade, and then a straight ball. On. On. On.

I set up to hit 7 irons starting right of one flag and curving back to end up in a certain spot. This is basically me working on mechanics to nuetralize my swing but doing it in a different way.

i went to the putting green. The goal is to hit longish putts from varied spots and past the hole but less than a putter length past. Track total yes vs. no and high vs. low. then 5 footers. How many out of 10? (7). OK i won't leave until i hole 10 straight four footers using one ball and from different spots. make make make make make make make make slid one in a little nervously rolled one in with confidence. time to go home.

Stuff like that over and over and over again is what i need.

only 75 days until it's kinda golf season again.

comments on their handicap conversation. 

First of all.. . Soly says the new system where you only use 8 scores rewards consistency and then doesn't understand why 8 scores instead of 10 rewards consistency. well, in the old system, you could have 2 guys. . .one of whom shoots 75 8 times and 85 12 times and he has a 3.4 index and the other guy shoots 75 10 times and 85 10 times he has a handicap of 2.6. In the new system, they both have a handicap of 2.6. The consistent guy fares better. Sure, we could use "1 best of last 50" if you REALLY wanted to reward the consistent guy, but the WHS is clearly just moving the slider in the consistent guy's favor a little. not a ton. you could do 2 scores from the last 20 if you REALLY wanted to punish the inconsistent guy. BTW, I think this change is going to benefit low handicappers in the long run (and in particular myself).

TFT(?): "113 is like golf Pi." Hilarious. 

them : "everyone says par is irrelevant and now we're using it." well, not really. It doesn't have to be relevant as a scoring goal just because it's used in the calculation. All they're saying is that instead of having a foursome of a 4, 8, 12, 14, you now have a foursome of 7, 11, 15, 17, or 2, 6, 10, 12. Regardless, whenever you play that match, you make the lowest guy a ZERO anyway. so, it does become irrelevant again (unless you're talking about a stableford or something). you COULD have just said, "we'll take HI*SR/113 + (CR-72)" and boom, par is irrelevant again. but it makes sense to use par there.

And, when you have players playing from different tees, this is, again, just telling us how to baseline it. We face this in Hive events. We can either have me playing blues as a 4 against Hoop playing whites as an 10, or we can have me from the blues as a +2 and Hoop from the whites as a 4. ALL THAT THIS DOES is change handicap baselining to par. So, now, I'll be playing Hoop as a 0 and him as a 6. and no matter when he plays that course from the whites, he's a 6. THIS IS THE POINT OF THE CHANGE. 

Them : "if a mid is playing a low, the low handicapper's not going to want to move up a box. It's overfactoring the tee boxes in." No. the way you were doing it before, you were underfactoring tee boxes. It might change your match from a 2 vs 7 to a 4 vs 9 but it's not making a difference IF YOU WERE DOING IT CORRECTLY BEFORE WHICH YOU WEREN'T. the problem is that everyone always thought that the slope rating was enough to account for different boxes and it wasn't.

"a scratch golfer, you're no longer a zero everywhere." well, yeah, but you weren't' really before. Shooting 73 from the blues was different than shooting 73 from the whites. 

"A scratch could be anywhere from a +12 to a 6." this is as extreme as it gets, which they acknowledged. he mentioned a rating of 60 from a par 72 course.

"Like those courses you played on Strapped."

Burn. 

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Nice - I tweeted at them. No response. But I think you nailed it in that they were not calculating things correctly in the past so this seems like a much bigger change.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

The big take away is they are getting WAY too caught up on matches using different tee boxes. Question: How many times did they play matches before from different tee boxes? I bet that number is close to never. Wasn't an issue before, and not an issue now.

Another issue is they simply asked a question after the round, and did some kindergarten math in their head, to compare themselves to higher caps. Something like I shot 3 over as a 4, and he shot 8 over as a 12...so he's a sandbagger. What they didn't factor in was the difference in rating. And they should have been asking what was your differential today instead of doing basic math and getting it wrong. (I'm guessing the 75 as a 4 beat the 80 as a 12 in differential anyway, depending on the course...)

The NLU guys frequently play from different tees from what i've seen. Soly plays back more than they do.

I think the handicap change people are going to botch most is that ESC is now NET double bogey for every golfer. So you need to know your playing handicap so you know which holes you can take double on and which you can take triple. Or which holes you can take triple on and which you can take quad on.

• Like 1

Fake news. I didn't get a new index.

Honestly, trying to understand the WHS issues is making my head hurt. So I'm going to rely on people who are smarter than me and care more than me, to figure it out. Just tell me the rules and I'll play by 'em.

Symptomatic of my ignorance, I always thought the "old" USGA/GHIN system calculated your index based on the tees you play from, and your CH was calculated off your index, based on the tees you were going to play,, so I am completely flummoxed by the current kerfluffle. Does it have something to do with if the tees play to different pars?

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee