2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Fairway divot rule

You know what I find sort of ironic is fact that 90% of the golfers who are playing the game take a free drop out of a divot in the fairway. The USGA needs to get with it and accommodate the people's desires instead of acting like arrogant blue noses?

Do you have a source for the 90% supposition? Or just making stuff up to support your wish? I have never ever seen a player roll it out of a divot. But then I only play 100+ rounds a year so it's a small sample size. :)

You must play with only the blue noses.

You must play with only the ageists/millennials.

You know, not answering questions and ignoring other POVs.

nope, I just like to play casual golf 50% of the time. That way I can roll the ball out of a divot, use a foot wedge, or maybe a mulligan when I feel like it. The other for 50% is by all the rules tournament-style. People get too serious about the game and can't enjoy themselves. It's nice to let your guard down and just play casual golf. Some golfers just cannot do that, they're too hung up on the rules.

You're not even making any sense anymore, and have no idea what you're talking about. Play a causal round? Do whatever you want. But please, don't presume to know how people best enjoy their golf experience. I won't for you, so don't do it for anyone else.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not even making any sense anymore, and have no idea what you're talking about. Play a causal round? Do whatever you want. But please, don't presume to know how people best enjoy their golf experience. I won't for you, so don't do it for anyone else.

I have to agree with this, I simply can't understand the separation between playing by the rules and enjoying golf. My normal group plays by the rules, and we have a great time. If I'm with a different group of people, they can do whatever they choose and it doesn't bother me at all. If I'm betting, and I'm willing to place a small wager most days, we need to be playing by the same rules, and the easiest way to do that is to play by the Rules of Golf.

This thread is comical! :cheesy:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

I like it when they take the bait!

I think those that are members at country clubs think the entire golf world plays like they do, which for the most part is untrue. The majority of golfers play by their own rules not the USGA rules. The majority also think that a ball should be dropped out of an unrepaired divot, in my opinion.

I think those that are members at country clubs think the entire golf world plays like they do, which for the most part is untrue. The majority of golfers play by their own rules not the USGA rules. The majority also think that a ball should be dropped out of an unrepaired divot, in my opinion.

So, the confession. Glad to hear it. Now we know for sure.

Toodles junior,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :to_become_senile: :wave:

hqdefault.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

hqdefault.jpg

Insults are all that you have? I think more validation would occur with solid responses.

hqdefault.jpg

Insults are all that you have? I think more validation would occur with solid responses.

YOUR validation, "I like it when they take the bait!", is all I need.

You take care now. ;)

Ping Glide Pro 48*

hqdefault.jpg

YOUR validation, "I like it when they take the bait!", is all I need.

You take care now. ;)

I see it as little Mikey :to_become_senile: barged in here with his fly unzipped, was handed his hat x100 and is looking for a way out.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Is it your assertion that country club members all play by the rules? Having caddied around at country clubs In New England, and played at a few as I got older, I can tell that they do not. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I imagine that most golfers do break a rule now and then, but I also think that a large percentage generally do follow the rules. I have seem the ones that like to fluff/roll the ball, but, at least when I am paying attention to them, I'd say they are in the minority. As has been beaten to death, when you are playing for "fun", do whatever you want. I prefer to play be the rules, even then. But when you are competing, there needs to be one set of rules, you can't just make up your own. Perhaps there are problems with them, but the existing Rules of Golf are the best we've got. And most proposed changes I've seen don't end up making sense. The perceived need for a fairway divot hole rule is much ado about nothing.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

Is it your assertion that country club members all play by the rules? Having caddied around at country clubs In New England, and played at a few as I got older, I can tell that they do not. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

with what you said, that even club members don't play by all the rules, adding to that that 90% of the Casual golfers don't play by all the rules, it sure sounds like to me most people would love to see some rule changes. So actually you don't know what you're talkin about when you say rolling it out of a divot is unfair. Your theory just doesn't hold water, too bad.

with what you said, that even club members don't play by all the rules, adding to that that 90% of the Casual golfers don't play by all the rules, it sure sounds like to me most people would love to see some rule changes. So actually you don't know what you're talkin about when you say rolling it out of a divot is unfair. Your theory just doesn't hold water, too bad.

Don't you have homework? :scenic: Put your phone down and get cracking, otherwise Mrs Smith will give you heck tomorrow.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I never said what you say I said. But yeah man, there are some rules that I don't necessarily agree with. It's just that, I don't pull out terrible logic and ridiculous hypotheticals to justify whining about it.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

You know what I find sort of ironic is fact that 90% of the golfers who are playing the game take a free drop out of a divot in the fairway. The USGA needs to get with it and accommodate the people's desires instead of acting like arrogant blue noses?

So who needs a rule change? 90% of golfers already found a solution,... cheat! I’m actually ok with it if it is agreed upon within the group and the final scores don’t count for anything. Wanna play for fun go ahead! Enjoy fun golf. But don’t mistake it with the real game. I’m for some rule changes but not so much for this one.

I'm still looking for the answer to when a divot stops being a divot for which you'd be entitled to relief?

As for how to deal with it during non-tournament rounds, why not just have a deal with your opponents? It's not like it happens with great regularity, so just deal with the exceptions on your own.

I think the answer is a divot stops being a divot at the exact moment the hole stops being a hole. When you count a lip-out as a hole-out instead.

I'm still looking for the answer to when a divot stops being a divot for which you'd be entitled to relief?

As for how to deal with it during non-tournament rounds, why not just have a deal with your opponents? It's not like it happens with great regularity, so just deal with the exceptions on your own.

I think the answer is a divot stops being a divot at the exact moment the hole stops being a hole. When you count a lip-out as a hole-out instead.

Terrible analogy. So standing water stops being standing water when the hole stops being a hole? Just a terrible analogy.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

So if you want free relief from a bad break that lands you in a fairway divot, are you willing to through the ball back in the woods when you get a lucky bounce off a tree?

apples and oranges.

Fairways are where you are supposed to hit your ball.

Woods are where you are NOT supposed to hit your ball so you take whatever the trees give you, good or bad.

I think this is the fundamental misunderstanding around which the whole divot relief argument revolves. Somewhere along the line the status of a fairway seems to have been elevated from its original intention. A fairway, strictly speaking, is a strip of closely mown grass through the green, free from obstructions such as trees, fencelines and buildings. It's function is to highlight the designed route from tee to green and mark out the confines of the individual hole being played, and to distinguish it from the neighbouring holes. It is not meant to provide a perfect playing surface, nor should it offer any guarantee of a good 'lie' for any ball that comes to a stop on it. It should merely afford a reasonable degree of roll for a ball travelling along it, and any humps and hollows (including bunkers) ought to be taken into account when plotting the direction of a shot.

So who needs a rule change? 90% of golfers already found a solution,... cheat! I’m actually ok with it if it is agreed upon within the group and the final scores don’t count for anything. Wanna play for fun go ahead! Enjoy fun golf. But don’t mistake it with the real game. I’m for some rule changes but not so much for this one.

I think the rule needs to be changed so it won't be considered cheating, just common sense by the rules committee. I landed in a deep divot that was unrepaired by the inconsiderate person who made it, fresh as anything, and was a man-made hazard. I really don't care what anybody else says in terms of changing my mind, my mind is made up, that should be a free drop, period. All the other responses contrary to this really don't understand the situation.

So who needs a rule change? 90% of golfers already found a solution,... cheat! I'm actually ok with it if it is agreed upon within the group and the final scores don't count for anything. Wanna play for fun go ahead! Enjoy fun golf. But don't mistake it with the real game. I'm for some rule changes but not so much for this one.

I think the rule needs to be changed so it won't be considered cheating, just common sense by the rules committee. I landed in a deep divot that was unrepaired by the inconsiderate person who made it, fresh as anything, and was a man-made hazard. I really don't care what anybody else says in terms of changing my mind, my mind is made up, that should be a free drop, period. All the other responses contrary to this really don't understand the situation.

I think pretty much everyone understands the situation just fine. Most avid players will face that situation, once or twice a year. We simply have an opinion that is different from yours. None of us have a guarantee of a perfect lie, even in the fairway, we simply don't deserve one.

So who needs a rule change? 90% of golfers already found a solution,... cheat! I'm actually ok with it if it is agreed upon within the group and the final scores don't count for anything. Wanna play for fun go ahead! Enjoy fun golf. But don't mistake it with the real game. I'm for some rule changes but not so much for this one.

I think pretty much everyone understands the situation just fine. Most avid players will face that situation, once or twice a year. We simply have an opinion that is different from yours. None of us have a guarantee of a perfect lie, even in the fairway, we simply don't deserve one.

Hmm, Mikey claims to be a 3 cap. Reload when not happy with the shot? Check. Gimmes from 4 feet and in? Check.

Oh yeah-one more...always roll it out of a "bad lie"? Check check and check.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Hmm, Mikey claims to be a 3 cap. Reload when not happy with the shot? Check. Gimmes from 4 feet and in? Check.

Oh yeah-one more...always roll it out of a "bad lie"? Check check and check.

Ouch!

All the other responses contrary to this really don't understand the situation.

:)

Ping Glide Pro 48*

rotf

��

In your world :to_become_senile: everyone deserves a trophy . . . even you are entitled to award yourself one.

???????

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Uhmmm.....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”