What is your favorite set of "signature" or player endorsed blades?

Cant beat Charleys irons ...

Here are the three I have of Seve , the USA model from slazenger is the cheap model, the other two SB02 models are great quality irons and apparently made to Seves specs back in the day, apart from the shafts which I believe he used S400.

CFE0D29E-3900-4337-AC64-C34F6D74E58C_zpsnq8ixnen.jpg

1BD3AC12-B8B1-47BF-8B1E-5CE1E90B58EF_zpsfo7oxpxr.jpg

89FD66A7-488E-4A20-87F7-19EEC3D56CD5_zpsqalp0ncj.jpg

C508FF66-DE1C-4A5C-87A6-C0C7B2BABE2C_zpsdvkoqs0p.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I also had several sets of the different Seve Irons and those Yamaha Hal Sutton grind... due to the wife complaining about me taking too much room in garage with “old clubs” I had to commit to just “a few” so I sold most of them and narrowed it down to my most favourites and the ones I hit the best. So here they are:

1- Hickory: Angel de La Torre

2-Pyrathone: Ernest Jones British Blade

3-Seve Blade: Slazenger Supremo (the best one in my opinion out of the ones out there, I had owned them all at one point, Dunlop,Slazenger, Founders...). Check out Seve teeing off around 11:30 mark on this video against Niklaus, they talk about these irons.”Sup-reeh-mos” “No,no, SuprEmos”?

4- My personal favourite of all times: Slazenger Crown Sterling.

5- New Aquisition: Macgregor Ben Crenshaw The Texan, found a box seal with brand new ones unhit. Debating if I should play them or not.

I keep myself pretty entertained with these 5 sets plus my regular Srixon Z-565s...

534vbjxmpqz3.jpeg

4w65e2jedztd.jpeg

oj5uwnhocb2g.jpeg

s5mlni4bccal.jpeg

> @MoaningM said:

> I have 3 differing sets of Seve Ballesteros irons, ill dig out a pic and post...

• Like 1

I game a set of '99 Ben Hogan Apex blades. I love these irons a lot. However my favorite signature set just might be these.

6esj89rdup2t.jpeg

sqiy4oq0ek1l.jpeg

9yhkncm6chay.jpeg

4hz0evcx284q.jpeg

Now the big question. Should I game these. These are mint, never been hit. All original. I did adjust lofts to make them a little stronger in anticipation of gaming these. Still not sure I'm going to.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

The whole not play them thing.... i keep thinking about it, I had a few sets like that. Then I sell them because I can make 200-300 or even 1,000... then what? So i have an extra $500 in my pocket then when I get old I can say I had a set of my favorite clubs once but I never actually hit them...? Screw that, im not going to die or be crippled without playing my favorite clubs at myfavorite courses. Or worst, die and have my wife sell them at a garage sale for 25$.

Take care of them, clean them after each round... and have a blast.

> @RobotDoctor said:

> I game a set of '99 Ben Hogan Apex blades. I love these irons a lot. However my favorite signature set just might be these.

>

> 6esj89rdup2t.jpeg

> sqiy4oq0ek1l.jpeg

> 9yhkncm6chay.jpeg

> 4hz0evcx284q.jpeg

>

>

> Now the big question. Should I game these. These are mint, never been hit. All original. I did adjust lofts to make them a little stronger in anticipation of gaming these. Still not sure I'm going to.

> @RobotDoctor said:

> I game a set of '99 Ben Hogan Apex blades. I love these irons a lot. However my favorite signature set just might be these.

>

> 6esj89rdup2t.jpeg

> sqiy4oq0ek1l.jpeg

> 9yhkncm6chay.jpeg

> 4hz0evcx284q.jpeg

>

>

> Now the big question. Should I game these. These are mint, never been hit. All original. I did adjust lofts to make them a little stronger in anticipation of gaming these. Still not sure I'm going to.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

> @RobotDoctor said:

>

> 6esj89rdup2t.jpeg

> sqiy4oq0ek1l.jpeg

> 9yhkncm6chay.jpeg

> 4hz0evcx284q.jpeg

>

>

I would game them but then I am like that------ I only own one club I would not game and that is a blonde Penna driver that has never hit a ball. I am more into playing the classic stuff not the wall hanging super rare collectible type. I think I have mentioned this before but I own 3 sets of Muirfields 2 are forged and one is cast but believe it or not none of mine are 20th editions

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @Boney said:

> I've always liked the Tom Kite wedges from Hogan. Here's my set:

> ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/Set.jpg "")

> ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteLW01.jpg "")

> ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteSW01.jpg "")

> ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteFW01.jpg "")

>

Now IMHO those are collectible and rare and I would not think of gaming them especially down here in this salt and sand environment

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Boney said:

> > I've always liked the Tom Kite wedges from Hogan. Here's my set:

> > ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/Set.jpg "")

> > ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteLW01.jpg "")

> > ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteSW01.jpg "")

> > ![](http://golf.jeffleff.com/graphics/KiteFW01.jpg "")

> >

>

> Now IMHO those are collectible and rare and I would not think of gaming them especially down here in this salt and sand environment

I agree, STU. I'd probably sell them, if i could get a decent price. They got to be valuable, and collectible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

> @Chris122 said:

> Original Muirfields

>

>

>

> Ram TW wedges.

>

>

>

> Nicoll Henry Cotton blades.and woods.

>

>

>

> Ben Hogan Apex II,Edge,Apex Plus,Ftx.

I agree with Chriss122 The original Muirfields. I believe these would be the Jack Nicklaus Muirfield Limited Edition clubs advertised in 1980. I think Jack won the 86 Masters using these irons.

best looking would be the Norman cobra blades. Best set of signature irons that I've played and am currently playing would be the ken Venturi pg-64. Believe it or not I got this whole set 3-pw for $14 on eBay they have s400 shafts in them and they are rockets and the feel is up there with any mizuno blde I've played.5h4qfrhfpcwq.jpg

740pch9we4sr.jpg

Fluffy-

Those Spalding Lee Trevino Sombrero Top Flites are also the favorites of Jaime Diaz of Sports Illustrated.

"He could bend your clubs in a doorjamb." -Tom Weiskopf, on David Graham's skill as a club designer and customizer

Note-Graham designed the MacGregor model Nicklaus won the '80 US Open and PGA with. It was also the iron model Graham himself used to win the '81 US Open at Merion. Graham had given his 1960 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge to Tom Watson, who used it in 1982 at the US Open at Pebble Beach, and on the 71st hole... from the long grass.... holed out to deny Jack a fifth US Open.

Golf used to be like that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That Slazenger Supremo Set stayed S. Ballesteros is SWEET!

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

Nicklaus-Miura Commemorative 

I don't have them but I have held the 6-iron and it was stunning. I'm a CB guy these days but I'd give these irons a test drive or two. 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Just looked back to see what I'd posted but the links no longer seem to be working so here are some new pictures.

John Letters, Fred Daly, 1948

Dunlop, Peter Thomson, 1957

Slazenger, Gary Player, 1965

Slazenger, Johnny Miller, 1982

image.png.b5bd81f12aba9a625a22cfddd830d59c.png

image.png.04d4104401a23f59db1734de9938d7e3.png

image.png.3a5ac92b4dc59488c95af629eb4a0dd1.png

image.png.41da5be094d4a8d100c9dca8c1636e91.png

• Like 3

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

On 10/25/2020 at 7:48 AM, Jiggered said:

Just looked back to see what I'd posted but the links no longer seem to be working so here are some new pictures.

John Letters, Fred Daly, 1948

Dunlop, Peter Thomson, 1957

Slazenger, Gary Player, 1965

Slazenger, Johnny Miller, 1982

image.png.b5bd81f12aba9a625a22cfddd830d59c.png

image.png.04d4104401a23f59db1734de9938d7e3.png

image.png.3a5ac92b4dc59488c95af629eb4a0dd1.png

image.png.41da5be094d4a8d100c9dca8c1636e91.png

Jiggered, thanks for the pictures.

I have a couple of sets of '48 Fred Daly's.

One set is a much treasured tour bloodied set that came to me from a dear ex pro acquaintance. The other also has "World Matchplay Champion" stamped, I think where the Made in Scotland line is. 

They are truly iconic and possibly one of the most significant sets ever made in the UK? Used by 75% of players in the '48 Open and most if not all of the Ryder cup team.

I have a set of MacGregor Tommy Armours of similar vintage - first Tourney's and fitted with the "neutraliser" hosel insert and view them as one of the most important sets made in the US. There are similarities!

The Peter Thomson's are one of my favourite playing sets. A bit of surprise set that just sits right for me....the joy of vintage experimentation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

Jiggered, thanks for the pictures.

I have a couple of sets of '48 Fred Daly's.

One set is a much treasured tour bloodied set that came to me from a dear ex pro acquaintance. The other also has "World Matchplay Champion" stamped, I think where the Made in Scotland line is. 

They are truly iconic and possibly one of the most significant sets ever made in the UK? Used by 75% of players in the '48 Open and most if not all of the Ryder cup team.

I have a set of MacGregor Tommy Armours of similar vintage - first Tourney's and fitted with the "neutraliser" hosel insert and view them as one of the most important sets made in the US. There are similarities!

The Peter Thomson's are one of my favourite playing sets. A bit of surprise set that just sits right for me....the joy of vintage experimentation!

Agreed, the story goes that Fred Daly and a few others returned from playing the US Open with MacGregor Tommy Armour irons and asked John Letters to replicate. I think I've seen the model you refer to, with "Open Champion" and "Match Play Champion", see below.

I also have a set of the same head made for Arthur Lees, another of the Letters Professional team and Ryder Cup player, and coincidentally I collected today a part set (3 to 8 plus wedge) of Bill Cox Contour Sole irons in the same style, also shown below.

All three heads have very similar hosel length, knurling and face grooves, just a slight difference in the font of "Masters Model" on the Bill Cox and of course the camber sole, see picture below comparing camber sole with the flat sole on Fred Daly iron.

This is such an iconic style of iron that I also recently bought a hickory shafted 2 iron model of what several learned experts consider to be the granddaddy of them all, the "DW Brand". 

Tommy Armour may have seen or taken examples of this iron with him to the US and from there the MacGregor version was developed.  DW Brand also shown below.

image.png.ddb714af8be844e99c1881eb67e55ca4.png

image.png.d13ce870f18a5911288e6304c02b3f9a.png

image.png.a481945bdef016ae91a971f46953e153.png

image.png.579daa9fc9210876b28bb5e0a963fc71.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Agreed, the story goes that Fred Daly and a few others returned from playing the US Open with MacGregor Tommy Armour irons and asked John Letters to replicate. I think I've seen the model you refer to, with "Open Champion" and "Match Play Champion", see below.

I also have a set of the same head made for Arthur Lees, another of the Letters Professional team and Ryder Cup player, and coincidentally I collected today a part set (3 to 8 plus wedge) of Bill Cox Contour Sole irons in the same style, also shown below.

All three heads have very similar hosel length, knurling and face grooves, just a slight difference in the font of "Masters Model" on the Bill Cox and of course the camber sole, see picture below comparing camber sole with the flat sole on Fred Daly iron.

This is such an iconic style of iron that I also recently bought a hickory shafted 2 iron model of what several learned experts consider to be the granddaddy of them all, the "DW Brand". 

Tommy Armour may have seen or taken examples of this iron with him to the US and from there the MacGregor version was developed.  DW Brand also shown below.

image.png.ddb714af8be844e99c1881eb67e55ca4.png

image.png.d13ce870f18a5911288e6304c02b3f9a.png

image.png.a481945bdef016ae91a971f46953e153.png

image.png.579daa9fc9210876b28bb5e0a963fc71.png

Thanks Jiggered, I was alluding to the Fred Daly's being copied from the MacGregor Tommy Armour's as I had heard the outline of that story. Thanks for adding the extra detail to the history. 

Interesting too that Tommy Armour may have taken the grandfather version developed by MacGregor from our side of the pond!

Similar to the debate I was pondering about the Golden Goose and Bullseye....

The version with Open Champion and Match Play Champion is the model i have. Forgot the Open Champion line.

The depth of your collection and knowledge is most impressive!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Thanks Jiggered, I was alluding to the Fred Daly's being copied from the MacGregor Tommy Armour's as I had heard the outline of that story. Thanks for adding the extra detail to the history. 

Interesting too that Tommy Armour may have taken the grandfather version developed by MacGregor from our side of the pond!

Similar to the debate I was pondering about the Golden Goose and Bullseye....

The version with Open Champion and Match Play Champion is the model i have. Forgot the Open Champion line.

The depth of your collection and knowledge is most impressive!

I don't have the Open Champion model but have "catalogued" it.

The Golden Goose & Bullseye debate is an interesting one and I'd love to find some definitive proof, as it is I'll lean towards the Golden Goose as being the original, your excellent early example certainly looks older than any Bullseye I've seen.

As for knowledge, I spend far too long browsing the web on sites such as this!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 14max said:

I've always been a fan of Tom Watston, so his Golden Ram T.W. Grinds are pretty special...

Ram Golden TW.jpg

You have excellent taste.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, Moeinorman said:

Should i buy a 3-9 peter thomson set for $50 putter included?

If they are like the set pictured by Jiggered above then I would.

These were a surprise to me. I bought mine just because they were vintage, in good condition and not alot of money; more of a collecting buy. I had no real expectation of their playability but really like them. As said above, they sit just right for me - the putter too!

Pity the set you are looking at doesn't have the SW. I nearly lodged the ball in my left nostril when I first played mine! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moeinorman said:

Should i buy a 3-9 peter thomson set for $50 putter included?

There are several versions available so it depends which ones you're looking at, where you are will also be a factor as different countries made different versions, and I think there were other lines apart from Dunlop. I'm based in the UK and the below pictures are the versions I've recorded.

Below in order are:

1. Mark 1 - Excellent as described by Foozle and I agree with him.
  2. Contour Sole - Similar to Mark 1, I've not played them but imagine they're good.
  3. Unsure on this one, I've only seen it posted from America but looks good.
  4. Mark V - UK model
  5. Mark V - Australian model
  6. Mark VI
  7. Last version, I have a set and they play well, can be found easily in the UK

image.png.b7285316df3ff70f1b3767b778f906ec.png

image.png.59888d9988e629e36826b498d2bd88bc.png

image.png.dd84121f126df3b02b2fe85a641b3212.png

image.png.e084aada8f5e410c29f5d6e296fe41f7.png

image.png.f77e98976d74e4302226f19bcc9b98da.png

image.png.3b784becf1240a0975ef214fbf225612.png

image.png.8628f8144291f2d5545f3f352ab5bc6c.png

• Like 3